Overall Satisfaction with DraftSight
I and one other person use DraftSight extensively for creating wiring and flow diagrams. I find the program to be easily learnable and very flexible. It's a great CAD compatible drawing software and the only reason I didn't give it a 10/10 is that it's no longer free. I would say that the price is fair though.
- Dimensions are easy to find.
- Manipulation of entities is easy and intuitive.
- Printing has gotten easier.
- Understanding difference between model view and layout view.
- Entity snap often causes more trouble than it's worth.
- Some functions are difficult to find in the menus and learning command line is difficult.
- Great documentation of systems.
- Creates great visuals of systems.
- Allows me to quickly answer questions about a given system.
DraftSight is cheaper. Although it is probably every bit as powerful (and more,) I don't need to go so deep. Whereas WireCad required me to enter a lot of settings and information I didn't care about; DraftSight allows me to do as much or as little as I want without pestering me for details.
Well suited for any drawing. Layering is very useful for the ability to quickly generate views of different aspects of a drawing. Again, I use this mostly for wiring diagrams, which are easily adaptable to the use of layers for different types of wire/cable. Text is sometimes difficult to work with as far as understanding sizing and justification.