A 6 Stars ALM Solution!!
Overall Satisfaction with HP Application Lifecycle Management
HP ALM is the only comprehensive enterprise grade ALM solution in marketplace today to scale the challenges faces by small to large enterprises with local and global teams. It provides necessary framework to small teams to quickly establish themselves on the process ladder and at the time provides the governance framework to large teams, who already have the established maturity scale.
The solution can be used out of the box for its core capabilities like Release & Cycle planning, Requirements Management, Test Management and Defects management or can be highly customized to fit to an organization SOP. It's tentacles reaches beyond the core capabilities and can be extended to PPM solution and other development and DevOps tools within and outside the organization. HP ALM is very intuitive and very easy to navigate. It is a very mature product and brings the rigor you need in your organization to surpass the development and quality challenges.
- Release & Cycle Planning - Whether it is a new release or managing change requests, HP ALM can handle it all. In one click you can generate the status of a particular release from scoped requirements to test executed and everything in between. It also have KPI functionality which cane generate health indicators for each release to make go and no go indicators. The baseline features is a well thought out feature which is often neglected in many organization.
- Requirements Management - HP ALM provides all the features which are needed by robust requirements management professionals. Teams can easily create and update the requirements and provide the full visibility to the team downstream. The tractability and impact analysis feature is the greatest suite of HP ALM complemented with great reporting and graphs.
- Test Management - This is strongest module of HP ALM and provides the maximum values to team using HP ALM. Teams can perform manual, automated, performance and mobile testing with HP ALM. WIth HP UFT, teams can easily execute automated test case within ALM and report the results back. It also integrates with HP Mobile Center and test can be executed within HP ALM.
- Defect Management - Simple and Strong are the two words to describes HP ALM defect module capability. Team can use it out of the box or customize it using workflow scripts to accommodate any process flow a organization may have. Their tons of features within this module which helps in expediting your release cycle and help you market the release faster.
- Dashboard & Reports - HP has made numerous improvements to this module since I have known this product. You can generate any report or metrics if the data is present in ALM. Their are many after market solutions which can extend ALM data beyond the out of box reporting capabilities.
- HP ALM is little late in adopting the Agile methodology but with the new HP ALM Octane products, organization can easily manage teams and projects which follows that methodology. I would like HP to make an effort to gel this two products capabilities in one product in future.
- HP ALM shall invest some more resources in making HP ALM Synchronizer product more robust. HP ALM Synchronizer is a very good tool to synchronize data e.g. Requirements and Defects between HP ALM and other endpoints like Team Foundation Server and JIRA.
- HP ALL is still hard to implement if you want to build a true DevOps team. This feature definitely need some improvements for "non-product" oriented organization to adapt it.
- HP ALM had surpass the numbers we originally foretasted when we brought the solution in-house. We managed and delivered numerous applications using this platform that included hundreds of releases, thousands of test cases and execution and thousands of bugs.
- HP ALM has helped us in keep compliance with many regulations our organization has to comply with in a life science industry
- HP ALM has fasten the releases and time to market the new applications. Its a key tool in our arsenal and our methodology and used globally. It provided the governance needed to reach next level.
HP ALM is the "System of Record" in our organization. It gives visibility for an artifact throughout the delivery chain, which cut downs unnecessary bottlenecks and noise during releases.
The HP ALM licenses may be cost prohibitive to some organization with small budget and small teams.