Sales Pipeline Software
Sales Pipeline Software Overview
What is a Sales Funnel?
The term “sales funnel” is a common metaphor for the stream, or pipeline, of leads and opportunities that are on a salesperson’s radar. Although all of these opportunities could potentially become sales deals, the funnel image acknowledges that not every deal will be closed-won. (For this reason, many sales managers prefer the image of a pipeline, with deals moving through stages but not necessarily tapering off in volume.) Sales reps plan to engage with all opportunities in the pipeline, and often a marketing funnel has already weeded out unlikely deals.
In some organizations, prospects enter the sales funnel directly from inbound inquiries or from Sales prospecting efforts; in others, leads are brought in by Marketing and must be qualified as sales-ready (SQL) before entering the sales pipeline.
What is Pipeline Management Software?
Sales pipeline software helps sales reps and/or sales managers track and manage individual sales opportunities as well as the distribution of all opportunities. It commonly includes pipeline visualization features, a drag and drop interface, deal probability calculation, opportunity prioritization logic and "next steps" recommendations, calendaring, task reminders, and a mobile app.
Though several point solutions like Tracks, Stitch, Salesdiver, and ASPEC exist, sales pipeline management is more often a capability of CRM, SPM, Sales Forecasting, or Predictive Sales Analytics tools. Some project management tools can also be used to manage sales pipelines.
Benefits of Using Sales Pipeline Tools
- Simplified workflow—Timeline view and drag and drop interfaces are simpler and more intuitive than spreadsheets or tables.
- Deal prioritization—The visual layout makes it easier for salespeople to envision their set of deals in relation to one another, and prioritize their time and attention accordingly.
- Defined sales process—Building a visual sales pipeline with specific stages or states requires organizations (or individuals) to define and streamline the sales process. This promotes sales pipeline management best practices like consistent opportunity scoring.
- Accurate sales forecasts—An organized sales pipeline helps keep sales forecasting consistent, based on consistent opportunity scoring and calculation of deal confidence levels throughout the pipeline. This creates strong historical data about deal success, ensuring accurate models and sales projections.
Sales Pipeline Software Features & Capabilities
The following are common functionality included in sales pipeline applications. Depending on whether the tool is part of a CRM or SPM product, some of this functionality may be handled through other, connected applications.
- Create pipeline stages: Allows users to set up a sales funnel with different stages that reflect their particular sales process. This will be the organizational structure for managing opportunities and forecasting sales; stages correlate with different actions and deal confidence levels.
- Deal confidence levels: Pipeline calculates probability of deal based on pipeline stage and other details; may also allow users to override with custom likelihood to close. This data can be used to generate sales forecasts.
- Timeline view: Sales pipeline can be viewed as a timeline of stages, for visualizing individual opportunities or aggregate opportunities.
- Opportunity import/creation: Opportunities can be added to the sales pipeline via import from CRM or created new within the tool. May be set up to import opportunities automatically, triggered by some action or change to the CRM record.
- Append to opportunities in the pipeline: Users can attach records, tasks, meetings, etc. to opportunities in the pipeline.
- Drag and drop opportunities: Users can manage the sales pipeline by dragging and dropping opportunities to different stages.
- Pipeline management suggestions & prioritization: Automatic or semi-automatic deal prioritization; recommends which deals to focus on or actions to take with certain opportunities.
- Pipeline filter: Users can filter the sales pipeline to only view a particular set of opportunities, such as opportunities above some likelihood to close, or opportunities above some deal size. For sales managers, filters may help narrow down the pipeline pertaining to individual reps or teams.
- Mobile pipeline management: Includes mobile functionality for viewing and managing the sales pipeline.
- Sales pipeline reminders & updates: Sends users reminders about their own deals, such as deals that need attention, or updates on movement within the pipeline and progress against goals. May also allow users to collaborate on deals, or allow managers to notify reps of deal reprioritization.
Sales Pipeline Products
Insightly is an online CRM solution targeted at small and mid-sized businesses. Over 1.5 million worldwide small and mid-size business Insightly users build relationships, accelerate sales and deliver projects. It is the #1 Gmail, G Suite & Outlook CRM. According to the vendor, businesses use...
InsideSales.com Predictive Playbooks aims to help SDRs and AEs quickly build closeable pipeline, by helping salespeople get a hold of more of the right people. InsideSales.com uses their A.I.-platform called Neuralytics to target likely buyers combined with their cadence engine to help sales reps...
InsightSquared is a sales analytics platform that provides sales leaders with the insights they need to drive performance and close deals. According to the vendor, the comprehensive set of reports provide sales leaders with ready access to all the analysis they need to assess their progress,...
InsideSales.com provides a sales acceleration platform that is built on Neuralytics, a predictive and prescriptive self-learning engine that drives revenue growth by delivering an optimized experience for both the salesperson and buyer.
Pipedrive is a customer relationship management (CRM) software built to help small teams to drive sales.
C9 Predictive Sales products are now supported by InsideSales.com since the May, 2015 acquisition.
Base is a CRM systems designed for salespeople who need to access via mobile devices.
Pipeliner CRM is a sales enablement tool focusing on pipeline management, sales processes and analytics designed to empower sales professionals. Pipeliner CRM provides an easy to follow visual sales process, profiles and charts, all of which aim to help users take the right actions with their...
Sellsy is one integrated suite for sales management. Some key features include: CRM Pipelines, Invoicing, Time Tracking, HelpDesk, ERP, and POS.
Vtiger is a customer relationship management (CRM) solution with sales and marketing automation, project management, and inventory management capabilities.
Odoo, from the Belgium-headquartered multinational company of the same name, is a suite of business applications for managing the sales pipeline. It also comprises a PoS and inventory management modules, scaling to a warehouse or retail management solution.
ConnectAndSell takes the problem of getting decision makers on the phone and makes it go away. A typical Sales Rep will have more sales conversations using ConnectAndSell in one hour than they would typically have in an entire week.
Datahug is a sales optimization solution that enables sales teams to increase sales velocity and reduce pipeline risk. The vendor says their solution gives sales managers deep visibility into the sales pipeline while reducing the burden on salespeople to update a CRM. The vendor’s value...
SalesforceIQ CRM is a sales management tool that is designed to integrate with a sales team's email inboxes, automatically capture cross-platform interactions with customers, and analyze collected data to improve customer relationships. According to the vendor, SalesforceIQ powers sales teams with...
Contalog is a sales order management app designed to help professionals in sales management. Some key features include: Catalog Management, Sales Order Management and Sales Performance Analysis.
Traditional sales prospecting is inefficient and tiring. Vainu aims to fix it by transforming disorganized open and big data into insightful leads. Vainu is a sales intelligence, prospecting and account insights platform which aims to help users discover actionable account insights, identify...
According to the vendor, MoData is an AI-powered sales intelligence software that delivers: Hundreds of out-of-the-box Sales KPI charts/reports. Sales Forecasting Deal Scoring Pipeline Prediction Rep Quota TrackingTrack pipeline changes & Funnel progression. Account Based Sales &...
Azurepath is designed to automate lead management and performance tracking for insightful business growth. According to the vendor, Azurepath is remarkably easy to use and suitable for any sized business selling any kind of product or service. Visual lead queues for individuals and teams eliminate...
Clinchpad is a customer relationship management (CRM) built to track deals and implement analytics for small teams.
Tracks is a sales pipeline management application from small UK company buildtracks.com.
InTouch CRM is a customer relationship management (CRM) platform built for small businesses focused on email marketing automation.
SmartFunnel is software for managing the sales pipeline, with revenue forecasting, from small Canadian company Momenta Systems (aka SmartFunnel.com).
AvePoint Pipeline Pro is a sales pipeline management application for Microsoft Dynamics CRM, from AvePoint headquartered in New Jersey.
ASPEC Mobile is a sales pipeline management application from Canadian company SalesWays.