Overall Satisfaction with Solarwinds Database Performance Analyzer for SQL Server
Up until last year, we were using for both operational and query performance. Today, we use it to monitor query performance and wait stats.
- There isn't a better tool for analyzing wait stats on a server.
- Very light weight when monitoring servers.
- Not a good operational monitoring tool, especially if going cross domain to untrusted domains.
- Disk resources are lacking ability to watch mount points and other disks without customization. This becomes challenging as the environment grows past 10-15 machines.
- Great tool for development in the performance servers. Generally, but not always, relevant to immediate emergencies in production, but always beneficial for long term query tuning.
I haven't seen a better tool for analyzing and tuning queries based upon wait times. However, for operational monitoring, finding current blocking, and at times slow queries that aren't run frequently, it lacks true benefit. Best use is for long term production query tuning and tuning in a performance environment.