TIBCO Jaspersoft Review 1 of 100
TIBCO Jaspersoft Review: "Embedded BI for All"
https://www.trustradius.com/business-intelligence-biTIBCO JaspersoftUnspecified7.6236101
Ashley Lee profile photo
Updated December 05, 2018

TIBCO Jaspersoft Review: "Embedded BI for All"

Score 8 out of 101

Software Version
Jaspersoft Enterprise Edition

Overall Satisfaction with TIBCO Jaspersoft

• We embed TIBCO Jaspersoft into our commercial application(s) that we sell to customers
  • We use TIBCO Jaspersoft for print-ready, pixel-perfect reporting
We use Jaspersoft primarily as our embedded reporting module within our own SaaS offerings.

The major benefit we found as a company when choosing to license a third party reporting system was that Jaspersoft gives us greater opportunity to focus on our own product growth. The reporting offered through Jaspersoft allows us to use them within our own applications so that we do not have to use resources to develop our own suite of reporting offerings. We had many client requests for pixel perfect reporting as well as ad hoc use of their own data and not enough resources to expend on the effort; Jaspersoft fulfills both of these requests. For my own work, the Jaspersoft domain and ad hoc abilities allow me, a non-developer, to be able to analyze data without the middleman help of a developer to get me the information. My own support level has increased as I am abler now to better service clients due to the greater expose and ease I am able to gather client data and give feedback.
  • Modern looking reporting - (many other products are still archaic looking in their default selections)
  • Quick time-to-market turn-around from concept to reality when creating a report
  • Listens to customer feedback for future features - this, I believe, has greatly shaped some of the upgrade features we have seen of late that have brought the level of usefulness up for Jaspersoft and ease of use for non-developer users
  • Full customization of reports with scheduling and many different formats available (I mention this because some other products had limited export format options)
  • If you do not have a proper hardware set up, report run-time can be slow and take up a lot of resources in a shared stack. You must fine tune a lot of set up for DB servers in order to get that perfect runtime for end users
  • Users with very slow connections/not close to runtime locale of reporting server can have very slow experiences with reports
  • It is a large learning curve to gain that best-practice knowledge of using DB. This is understandable for most products. I wish that Jaspersoft had better documentation for this in the form of more shared examples in order for users to gain better business practice-use of the product. We struggled with many trial and error methods until finding those perfect solutions.
It has made some of our applications stand out from competitors as our reporting engine offerings are much more advanced.
It has allowed us to use our developers for our main products and not have to share with the BI requests. Now all of our reporting requests have gained in demand and we are making ourselves as a company more sought after with our reporting edge.
  • Jaspersoft Standard Support or Professional Standard Support for AWS (12 annual cases)
As a software company, we have to deal with a lot of changes within the industry tools in terms of upgrades and changes in support for products. Jaspersoft is perfect in that there is not a single way to use/implement which allows us to spend less time working on the integration.
Privacy is of the utmost importance for our clients and so we value the security offerings in the application which allows us to host many clients in a shared environment. This brings down our cost and maintenance support of the clients and their interaction with the application.
Well suited for formatting needs and specific export types.
Great for creating static scheduled reports because they are easily editable by non-developers.

Less suited for non-developer level users if looking for an ad hoc tool as I believe they still need to do more work in making the ease-of-use of their ad hoc tool so that it is more accessible to entry-level users to reporting software.

TIBCO Jaspersoft Feature Ratings

Publish to Web
Publish to PDF
Report Delivery Scheduling
Delivery to Remote Servers
Pre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.)
Location Analytics / Geographic Visualization
Multi-User Support (named login)
Role-Based Security Model
Multiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete)
Single Sign-On (SSO)
REST API
Javascript API
iFrames
Java API
Themeable User Interface (UI)
Customizable Platform (Open Source)

Support and Training

Support

They have a great customer support ticketing system in which they always respond same-day. They offer conference calls with srcreensharing as well in order to better understand your issues.
I wish that the lower level support access came with more than just 12 cases per year though as this makes us less likely to reach out for questions on things that we then instead try to solve ourselves which results in loss of time in trying to acquire new features and or solve a problem.

TIBCO Jaspersoft Customer Support Pros and Cons

Kept well informed
No escalation required
Immediate help available
Support understands my problem
Support cares about my success
Quick Initial Response
None

Implementation Details / Implementation Partner

• TIBCO professional services

Implementation

They offered complete set up training and help in navigating through all of the initial report builds. We had a Jaspersoft representative walk us through all of the steps to fully set up and launch our beta service to our first client. In retrospect, I think it would have helped if the person had been a little more knowledgeable in our industry and database but that would have been a little more above-and-beyond if they could have predicted the data builds we would need for better reporting performance.

Training Types Used

• In-person training
Hands on training really helped stream-line the process as we did not have to stop and wait for feedback or support every time we ran into an issue. Setting up the database and report servers as well as the first ETLs was made easier with the guidance of the training. I think that the UI navigation of the product was still something that we really did not have a handle on until at least a year of using it daily to understand all the capabilities.

In-Person Training

It did the job of getting us to our deadline we set for ourselves for initial launch. The customer we launched the product for was also there to learn about it at the same in order to better understand the capabilities. This helped greatly so that the customer was on the same page on what was possible when using jaspersoft. I think most people would not want their customers aware the product they are using is third-party but in this case it was a new experience for us both and so as we learned more about jaspersoft, we both had better communication on what the future road map was for their business needs in BI.

Online Training

Ease of TIBCO Jaspersoft Training

If a user has no idea on the architecture of their database then use, I think jaspersoft is hard to understand how to use from a business user to admin level user. It involves an understanding of relationships of tables in order to create domains from which to make ad hoc views and reports. The concepts as a business user are not too hard to grasp in terms of being in an ad hoc environment and navigating the palette selections. Selecting which fields to use and so on is fairly simple with the drag and drop. What I did find was that the calculated measures and fields section to not be for beginner users and something that had to be advanced level in that I was not familiar with the syntax needed and had to make my own cheat sheet as the guidance in the ad hoc tool and online training guides was not enough.
I really appreciated the jaspersoft community as a source of open questions on the product. I myself opened a few issues to see if the community could answer my question. There is a lot of knowledge in the shared experience of other users on the quirks of jaspersoft and so it remains a good place to "google" questions related to the product. When we were training I used the community page frequently to help with small things like chart formatting to browser related issues.

Customer Success Team