This is the literal core of PHP
August 29, 2018

This is the literal core of PHP

Anonymous | TrustRadius Reviewer
Score 7 out of 10
Vetted Review
Verified User

Overall Satisfaction with Zend PHP Engine

Zend PHP Engine is used by my organization as the backbone framework to debug our PHP environments. We utilize its API functions to monitor API calls, XHR requests, MYSQL calls & other various functionality in our LAMP stack environment.
  • The Zend Framework excels at productivity. It's lightweight, loosely-coupled enough to provide 90% of the functionality that everyone needs out of the door, but also customizeable enough to meet the remaining 10% should your business need it.
  • Because the Zend Framework is functionality focused (also supported by the actual PHP developers) - it is light enough to hit the ground running with. Having no configuration files to get rolling is also a huge plus.
  • The documentation of the Zend Framework is reliable, updated & succint. I have not encountered an issue that I could not easily troubleshoot from looking at the documentation.
  • Zend PHP Engine could improve by creating a more intuitive workflow for beginners. Though it is not super hard to grasp - most developers have a learning curve for understanding & fully utilizing the framework.
  • Zend PHP Engine could also improve by fixing their stability issues. Every now and then the MYSQL service calls will drop, stop being monitored or die alltogether. Any PHP developer worth his salt would point to the fact that PHP SQL queries also have this issue inherent in them - but I hope that just as much as they improved the MYSQLi queries - that they could eventually solve the issue with the stability.
  • Zend PHP Engine could also improve by having the initial out of the box installation be more intuitive. The process of installing and configuring the framework can be a bit complex at times - and I have had to walk through it with even the most senior developers at my company.
  • Overall, Zend PHP Engine has had a positive return on our business objective of creating a medium sized web-application, debugging the application to assess problems before they occur, and to create dynamic API calls via our backend custom software.
Zend PHP Engine is well suited for small/medium sized projects that require heavy PHP development. It is especially potent in developing API's & debugging your entire web application from inception to scale. Zend PHP engine is obviously less well suited for scenarios where you need more advanced dynamic monitoring & development for web-apps at huge scale.