What users are saying about
Likelihood to Recommend
ER/Studio Data Architect
ER/Studio is great for providing data model images for teammates to use when they are not data modelers.
Professional in Information TechnologyFinancial Services Company, 51-200 employees
- ER\Studio supports the concept of a domain. You can create a custom domain (data type) and give it a name and use it as the data type for attributes. I use this to define my surrogate PK and several other "standard" attributes we populate into every relation (table).
- ER\Studio supports the coding of Macros. This is VB code that leverages their API to automate manual process. Very helpful as you could imagine. They supply a large set of pre-canned macros and are very good about helping you write your own if you need help. I have several macros that help me implement naming conventions on attributes and FK names.
- The repository is a handy feature that allows you to save off your models to a database to be safe and also to allow for collaboration between other modelers on you team.
- Several different licensing models allow for flexibility, usage. They support a single user workstation as well as concurrent licensing, for multiple part time users.
- Relationships are a bit on the weaker side. Many times I found orphaned relationships that I could not get rid of, or additional columns that were automatically created during the push to the physical model that appear to be due to key constraint bugs
- There are a lot of bugs introduced when merging keys. I tend to model 2 tables for example logically, establish the relationship, and then merge the additional key column that is automatically created when establishing the relationship. This sometimes causes downstream issues with the physical model (creating duplicate columns with _1 appended)
- Meta-data could be improved. I find it hard to keep descriptions and other meta information clean when copying and pasting from other sources due to formatting tags being introduced on each object (font, size, color, etc.). The attachment feature comes in handy, however I am looking for the ability to cleanly document and map multiple sources to a single target while providing searchability and traceability
ER/Studio Data Architect9.0
Based on 1 answer
I can call or email support and both get quick turn around. The only issue is they are on the west coast (US) and have a west coast work schedule and I'm on the East coast.
My first modeling tool was Sybase's Power Designer and it was a fine tool to get the job done. When I changed companies 10 years ago I was introduced to ER\Studio and have been using that ever since. More recently I looked into CA ERwin and found it to be unintuitive but to be fair I didn't spend a lot of time trying to figure it out.
Return on Investment
- Increased quality of the data models.
- Increased productivity in data modeling and database development.
- Ability to share the models with the team.
ER/Studio Data Architect
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?