Likelihood to Recommend
- First, get the database on Oracle. If you are in an Oracle stack, it would be much better to use the Oracle products. If you are driving a Ferrari, you wouldn’t put a Mercedes engine in it. If you are writing a query, you cannot rely on other brands. Since I'm an architect, when I look for a product, I look for performance.
- The installation is easy because it comes out-of-the-box and you just start using it.
- Previous to Oracle Exadata, we were using a normal Oracle RAC service. We were just waiting for this product to come out.
- I'm currently writing a data warehouse on Exadata. Before this solution, we were aiming for this to be completed by 8 a.m., when our ETLs would finish. With the help of Exadata's special features, this was reduced to 3 a.m. This solution allows us to bring more data within the same time period. It provides us with more subject areas that provide more reports to our users. Our ETL times reduced to 65%, then to 50%.
Suitable for hosting large volumes of data and using multiple cloud-based reporting tools to create dashboards, KPI's, and reports that need to be available daily or in near real time. Good integration with most HANA applications although there seem to be some limits with others. It is not suitable for massive volumes of data given the nature of SAP's pricing for HANA. Large volumes and analytics may be more suited to a data lake external to BW/4HANA.
- Customize-able for specific functionality optimized for combination of online transaction or analytical processing.
- Ability to serve mix workloads with resource management feature enables prioritizing allocation for certain workload.
- Scale-able on-premise with compatibility for cloud deployment offers flexible solution for organization considering to transition from on-premise solution.
Professional in Information TechnologyTelecommunications Company, 1001-5000 employees
- BI and Reporting out of the ERP Layer
- Self Service Capabilities to build reports and cubes out of SAP
- Great Performance for simple and analytical reporting out of SAP
- Broad availability of BW Tools to integrate - such as Business Explorer
Executive in Information TechnologyConsumer Goods Company, 10,001+ employees
- Patching can often become quite involved and convoluted. It should be more transparent and straightforward.
- Storage metrics can be difficult and time consuming to obtain.
- Basic administrative functions can be hard to repair when discovered.
- Vendor support can take a while to obtain. Generally several attempts are necessary to reach the right area of vendor expertise.
- Interface improvements so that all development is web-based.
- Ease of connectivity with non-SAP sources.
- Avoid the need to continue using the SAP GUI.
No answers yet
No answers on this topic
SAP BW/4HANA 8.4
Based on 6 answers
In a short period of time, SAP has already released BW/4HANA 2.0 and has continued to release support packages regularly which is a good indication of the support they are providing to their customer base.
Oracle Exadata Database Machine had the best performance overall hands down. It clearly beat the competition and we were seeing 1000X improvement on SAP HANA. Oracle Exadata Database Machine beat that without us refactoring our code. To achieve that in HANA, we had to refactor the code somewhat. Now this was for our limited POC of 5 use cases. Given the large number of stored procedures we had in Sybase, we need to capture more production metrics but we are seeing incredible performance.
Unfortunately I never had the chance to work with other tools similar to SAP BW/4HANA. In the different companies I've worked for during the past 4 years, they all used SAP, and in particular I worked in SAP BW during the last year.
Employee in MarketingElectrical & Electronic Manufacturing Company, 5001-10,000 employees
Return on Investment
- Single support from a single vendor with both machine and database from Oracle, which is costing us less.
- With Exadata, we need less technical manpower and less technical support. A business transaction with the integrated and centralized database helps us focus on other business needs.
- We don't need to buy additional licenses and Hardware for the next 3 to 5 years.
- SAP BW/4HANA saves us a lot of time in our company.
- It's the main source of information for us, regardless of other kinds of solutions that could be more user-friendly.
- It's simple and reliable.
Analyst in CorporateConsumer Electronics Company, 1001-5000 employees
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?