Halogen TalentSpace Review: "Halogen - Great Performance Product; Needs Improvement on Functionality"
It is being used across the whole organization for our staff-level positions.
The business problems that it addresses is training needs and feedback needs for our employees.
- It is a tool that promotes continuous feedback.
- I like that Halogen has a lot of different processes that can be used for any stage of the Human Resources lifecycle like onboarding, performance, compensation, etc.
- The functionality of the system definitely needs to be improved. For example, just from looking at Saba Cloud it looks like it is a more well-rounded system that is more modern than Halogen is.
- The learning curve of Halogen is one of the cons of the system. Anytime we have someone come onboard with our HR team, it takes a long time for someone to become comfortable with the system.
- Customer Service should be easy to be reached. Chat features, more responsiveness from Client Success Managers, etc.
- We are able to complete our monthly safety compliance requirements by creating our learning courses in the LMS.
- We use the 1:1 sessions to record followup on outstanding topics and compliment one another on outstanding job performance.
- We use the 360 multirater to get additional perspective from those in our company for annual reviews.
- I would like to see the performance review document to actually be an online process instead of it looking like a paper document. It seems antiquated.
- It would be a huge benefit if we could add some of the functionality and/or features from SABA to Halogen if we chose to. It is a shame to have the companies merge and not be able to use all of the benefits of both.
- Halogen is very customizable and it allows for the possibility of utilizing processes in creative ways.
- I like the integration of feedback with appraisal processes.
- Halogen also allows for creating development plans that leverage many of its components.
- I would like to see the eLearning platform be more robust and user-friendly.
- I would like to see other types of processes available.
- It would be great to be able to categorize the documents import area.
- 1:1 agendas are easy to create, add comments to and prompt excellent conversation flow on the topics that truly matter to the manager and the employee.
- The system can be easily customized to reflect your company's language and culture. We did this in several areas of the platform (goals, development, learning), and it made a world of difference in the understanding and adaptation of our users. One example is that in each learning module, we added 3 questions in the course description so that managers would be automatically prompted to ask to follow up / learning transfer questions when their employees enroll and take a learning course.
- Halogen support is outstanding. Any question I have had has been answered upon the first contact or within 24 hours.
- The e-appraisal processes can be tricky to create and navigate on the admin side. I find that testing each process using the test users that Halogen provides within the system is critical to ensuring the process and the form is operating as I intended it to prior to releasing a process to our organization.
- The succession module works backward from how we currently approach our succession/Talking Talent process and unfortunately it's not customizable to be able to accommodate our process. This was disappointing to hear and therefore we are not currently using this module to its full capacity.
- The coaching piece is great because we personalize it with our values and branding.
- We have customized the feedback piece with our own visuals and branding. It makes it easy for our managers to give and track feedback.
- We use if for onboarding pieces. I like that it sends automatic reminders.
- I think the ability to track training other than e-Learning would be a huge improvement
- I would like the ability to customize some of the training trackings
We currently use Halogen for building Job descriptions and for Performance Management. We have been using the system approximately five years now. I really appreciate the features that allow for feedback and ongoing performance management all year long.
The system is being used consistently throughout the organization not just for managers and supervisors. Associates use the system to manage their own performance by being able to track their objectives and being able to document activities including steps toward reaching their performance objectives. Those who use the system correctly are able to cut back on the time to complete the annual appraisal.
We also use Halogen to do additional processes that were typically done on paper such as exit interviews, performance improvement plans, onboarding, completing the conflict of interest form, communicating salary changes, fitness subsidy, and tuition reimbursement. I am constantly searching for paper processes that can be moved over to Halogen for improved compliance and reporting.
- The Outlook Feedback Plugin is a perfect way for managers and associates to provide quick feedback to others. Being able to access Feedback in Outlook makes it easier and quicker to keep the conversations going.
- The Job description feature is great as we can assign job description s upon hire and have a sign-off process that the associate has read and acknowledged receipt of their JD. The employee can also access the job description whenever they want to.
- Halogen prices based on users and if an associate leaves the organization we cannot replace the license. If an employee leaves within their first 90 days we still have to pay for the license they have used.
- I like to do different processes in Halogen that have nothing to do with appraisals. However, the word appraisal cannot be taken out of the process. So when I want to assign a task to read a form, the system will only allow the terminology to read, "read the appraisal."
- 1:1s are very functional
- Feedback can be great - we use it to deliver training snippets.
- As an administrator of our processes, I love Halogen's support team. I call on them often leading up to and during a process. In the rare case that they can't resolve my problem right away, they work on it quickly to get back to me with a solution.
- Halogen has a robust feature set and is highly customizable. It can be overwhelming to a process administrator the first time through (if the process is complex), but it's nice to know the platform can do just about anything I ask of it.
- The user interface has gotten a lot nicer in the past few versions. That's important as our users are shifting more toward mobile devices.
- The flip side of such a robust platform is learning curve for administrators. If you have a complex process, it can take many hours and mistakes for the process to get set up just right and executed smoothly. If the organization isn't patient, or if the administrator can't focus on running a complex process, it may be hard to maximize the investment from the people side.
- It's a simple interface, both for administrators and end users
- Support has always been very efficient in getting back to me
- It's still being updated, new versions released with improvements
- There are some obvious gaps in functionality. Features that feel intuitive are just missing
- Browser compatibility has been an issue with us, but that may just be an internal disconnect
- The tracking aspect of determining what status a performance appraisal is in for each employee is very useful.
- The ability for anyone in the organization to provide feedback to another co-worker using the Feedback Central Halogen link in Outlook is truly great.
- It is also nice, from the administrator side, to be able to set up a New Years evaluation process for every employee and know that the process will be tracked and started based on the time frame that we have established upfront.
- The navigation from the administrator side is not the most intuitive feature. Some of the programming is very different from other similar software suites that have been used in the past, there is a great learning curve.
- I wish there were greater connectivity capabilities between Halogen Talent Space and our HRIS system. It would make data integration much less work, and easier to do throughout the year when we add staff to our headcount.
- Performance Reviews
- Compensation Module
- End User experience for TalentSpace
- Learning is definitely Halogen's weakest arena. It is somewhat difficult to navigate and interact with.
- The back end of admin is clunky and dated.
- Halogen TalentSpace is great for individual tracking of performance. You can add goals directly to the profile, add documents such as emails, and update anything at any time. That is super helpful.
- Halogen TalentSpace is also super useful for performance tracking on an HR level. We apply raises that depend on annual review scores each year, so to have all those scores in one place in the same process is a lifesaver. We also love how easy the reporting aspect is.
- Halogen TalentSpace has gotten noticeably easier for our employees to use from year to year. We have a lot of employees who have been with us for decades and were used to our old paper process and so were reluctant to move to an electronic process. But Halogen is easy to both teach and tweak every year so we can get everybody comfortable with us, and we've had a noticeable drop in technical issues calls (to our office for internal help) over the past five years.
- I am sticking with the old view of reports for Halogen TalentSpace because although the new view gives you more details, it's hard to set up so that you see exactly what you need to.
- I wish I could adjust the wording/coding more on the admin side because some of the labels Halogen uses for sections are different than what we use but I can't change them and that is sometimes confusing to users, especially supervisors.
- Nobody really likes the updated home page view, including myself, because it adds extraneous information but hides details that used to be available with a quick glance.
- Customization. Halogen can be configured to the needs of our organization.
- Training. The training provided by Halogen on the software and soft skills need to successfully use the software is exceptional.
- Ease of Use. The software is extremely user friendly even for those who are not computer savvy.
- Their Support Team is amazing
- They offer a wide variety of modules
- Performance management is their niche
- I think an updated reporting tool would be beneficial
- How Saba can help more of the mid to lower size companies
- It's customizable
- Support is readily available if you are stuck at a process
- Great training provided
- More training for administrators as this product is very extensive
- Users need to have basic knowledge of HTML knowledge
- First and foremost, the support is outstanding.
- Halogen maintains a great audit trail within the software that tracks each process and individual interaction.
- Halogen listens to their customers. Unique requests or concerns are helpful in forward thinking and the continual evolution of the product.
- I am always looking to see more functionality for professional services clients. Tremendous changes in the last few upgrades that address multiple managers rather than just direct-line reporting.
- I think their Support Center is great! All of their Customer Service Representatives are knowledgeable, friendly, and able to troubleshoot any and all issues I've had in the past. I am very impressed with the breadth of knowledge that each representative has - every time I've called them, they were able to resolve my problem.
- Halogen's dashboard is very user-friendly. The dashboard allows the user to sort, filter, and manipulate data in order to create compelling reports.
- Version 18 of Halogen looks very sleek and is user-friendly. With simple instruction, employees are able to log in, enter their goals, and review their performance using the navigation menu on the left. Also from an administrator's perspective, it is very easy to navigate on the back-end.
- My organization does not use all of the functions/modules that Halogen offers, but I find that those modules still appear on the Halogen main page. I think a great area for improvement is to hide these functions so as not to confuse employees.
- Technical support is great. They generally know what they're talking about and are available 24 hours a day.
- They're quick to help you understand what upgrading to the next version will do for you, and want you to get the most out of your product.
- Reporting is a bit clunky and took some getting used to.
- You can get pretty in-the-weeds quickly with some of the processes. It's a catch-22. It's nice to have a feature to change/adjust so much, but it's easy for a new user to get confused by everything.
- Goals Administration
- Feedback Management
- Customer Service
- All of it is really built well.
- The KPI section can further improve, although it is a great one even now.
- Training plans have been improving and we would love to see it going ahead.
- The customer support is great. Very short wait times, no language barriers, and knowledgeable associates. They always follow up with an email as well, which I find helpful.
- The appraisal side is user-friendly for employees and administrators.
- You do have a dedicated CSM in addition to the general support line
- I constantly receive notifications that I am already logged in and need to sign out. This is very frustrating and the #1 complaint I receive from employees.
- Additional customization could be helpful.
- I have heard that the training side could be improved, but I am not involved and do not know specifics.
Halogen TalentSpace Review: "Halogen to the rescue! Your One-Stop-Shop for On-boarding, Development, Learning and More!"
- Halogen makes it easy to connect with your employees around Goals and Development plans. As a Leader, you are able to enter and/or assign Development Activities whether it is an external activity or a Learning Activity that has been setup in Halogen.
- Halogen allows you to give and receive feedback, which is a crucial component to Development. By utilizing Feedback Central you can easily attach these items received throughout the year to any Evaluation process that you have created ... eliminating the need to re-type!
- Halogen's Learning Module allows you to purchase of variety of e-Learning content and assign these course to specific competencies within your organization. You can also create Instructor Led Learning Activities and have employees Enroll.
- Learning Paths are another great way to get everyone within a department or the organization on the same training page (New Employees, Department Specific, etc.) Learning Paths are various Learning Activities that you group together and can assign to individual employees or entire groups. You can add prerequisites, documentation, url's, or SCORM compliant data to test th knowledge of your employee once they have completed the course.
- When creating Evaluation Processes the limitations around the number of Goals that will push over to the form can be frustrating to some departments/positions. Only the first 10 will automatically come over.
- The ability to attach any Documents that you have saved within Halogen should have a way to link to any Feedback that is entered in through Feedback Central.
- The file size of and media that is attached to a Learning Activity or Path could be increased to accommodate more elaborate videos/presentations.
- Easy navigation - what they have to do comes up front and centre.
- Uncluttered - Keeping the important things and getting rid of the annoying parts of so many talent systems.
- Modularised - people know what they are focussing on when they go in.
- White Labelling - would be nice to have some more opportunity for branding internally
Halogen TalentSpace Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
About Halogen TalentSpace
Halogen, now a part of Saba Software, offers an organically built cloud-based talent management suite — Halogen TalentSpace™ — that reinforces and drives higher employee performance across all talent programs — whether that is recruiting, performance management, learning and development, succession planning or compensation.
Halogen TalentSpace™ provides end-to-end, fully integrated applications that were designed to organically support optimal employee performance. Each module works together to streamline talent management operations, while also aligning a company's workforce with their business strategy. The software offers industry-specific solutions to address the unique requirements and challenges of mid-size companies in healthcare, professional services, manufacturing, the public sector and more.
With countless features, Halogen TalentSpace™ is a comprehensive performance management software offering a consistent and user-friendly interface. The powerful, yet simple-to-use solutions are used by organizations that want to build a world-class workforce that is aligned, inspired and focused on delivering exceptional results.
Halogen TalentSpace Screenshots
Halogen TalentSpace Integrations
Halogen TalentSpace Competitors
Halogen TalentSpace Customer Size Distribution
|Small Businesses (1-50 employees)||%|
|Mid-Size Companies (51-500 employees)||50%|
|Enterprises (> 500 employees)||Enterprises (> 500 employees)||50%|
Halogen TalentSpace Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Halogen TalentSpace Technical Details
|Deployment Types:||On-premise, SaaS|
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Linux, Mac|
|Mobile Application:||Apple iOS, Android|