Apptio Customer Review
July 17, 2014
Apptio Customer Review
Vice-President in Information TechnologyFinancial Services Company, 5001-10,000 employees
Score 10 out of 10
- Foundation, Applications and Services, Infrastructure Insights, and Application Insights
Overall Satisfaction with Apptio Technology Business Management
Apptio is managed and used within the IT department. We have modeled 100% of IS cost into Application TCO and other IT Services for the purposes of cost transparency. We use the information internal to IS for Application Rationalization and to have value discussions with our business clients.
- Proprietary, standardized IT data model built into the system. Enables very rapid deployment. Also, by having defined data, it makes it easier to know what to ask for and find it within the organization. Also enables "like for like" benchmarking.
- The standardized IT data model allows Apptio to deliver a robust set of reports out of the box.
- Customer support is well beyond expectations. Outstanding. Apptio is a true business partner.
- Technology Business Management Council is a leading group of CIOs developing the practice and driving new features into Apptio.
- TBM is such a new practice, finding resources that either know it or can learn it is challenging. This is no fault of Apptio's, but we rely on them heavily to show us best practice and deliver value proposition. Thankfully their field support engineer is very dedicated to helping us.
- Apptio is positively contributing to our Applicaiton Rationalization, Infrastructure Optimization, and driving efficiencies across IS with more automated reporting.
We looked at VMWare and Nicus products. We selected Apptio for their standardized data model, support for Enterprise Business Management, the role of the TBM Council driving the practice and incorporating into their development, along with strong referrals from peers who already purchased it across our industry vertical.
I don't believe there is a product on the market as mature in its practice and purpose-built as Apptio is for IT Cost Transparency. It even made the CNBC "Top 50 Disruptor" list for innovative technologies. Its is way ahead of its competition.
Well suited for IT Cost Transparency or Service Costing efforts. Key questions to look for when selecting a tool to do this are:
- Standardized cost model built into the solution
- Number of other customers in your industry vertical. For benchmarking purposes.
- Support for extending cost models beyond IT spend. Apptio has named this "Enterprise Business Management". After IT expense is modeled, this is the next logical maturity path. In order to effectively provide financial management for shared services or end-to-end services, there will be expense outside of IT that needs to be modeled.
- Is on premise field support included?
- Capability to integrate with your Service Catalog platform.