Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. - Einstein
David Lisauskas | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 08, 2018

Overall Satisfaction with Business Intelligence Discoverer

Being used across the entire organization. We use Discoverer to help mine data from our CRM (Oracle). The tool fills a gap between the raw data and the reporting needed by various departments. Some of the reports that are run are created centrally and stored in a company-wide, company-accessible database. Other reports are created "on the fly" and stored locally.
  • Business Intelligence Discover does a good job mix of GUI interface for report building and access directly to the SQL for those of us who are comfortable with it.
  • Discoverer also does a good job of making easy to create reports and linking the various tables together.
  • I like the rules area where you can check and uncheck certain rules. This is useful to me where I may build a report and copy that same report for several reasons. I can just update the rules that I am using.
  • My main "wish" for Discoverer when creating a new rule....Our tables are HUGE and you must scroll through several columns before finding the one that you want selected....my "wish" would be to have a search in this area where I could start to type the name of the column and find the selection that way.
  • When creating reports, I often ask for user input (order number, etc...). The process of setting this field to accept multiple inputs is cumbersome and not intuitive.
I did not select Discoverer.....however, I do prefer it to the other tools that I have used for report creation. I do like the mix of GUI and SQL direct code avail. I have mostly used the desktop version, but migrating over to the web based version and starting to build reports there. I find Discoverer to be fairly easy to navigate and intuitive for me to build my reports.
Merging data across tables is easy to do, but depending on the naming schemes, can get confusing tables vs columns. More of a data management issue, just not as visible as it could be. As far as the extent of data merging, very robust.
We utilize many custom reports in my team, and share reports into other departments as well. Some reports live in the database, but we are always modifying offline reports for the products that we support. So we will often utilize and share the same reports and tweak them for our own needs.
Well suited for mining large sets of data to build reports for financials, order history, or quality mining from your database. It is less appropriate for small business where this level of tool might be too much overhead to use. For me, does not do a great job dealing with duplicate data due to cross-tabs, might be my lack of knowledge in this area, I usually clean some of this up post-data through excel.

Oracle Business Intelligence Discoverer Feature Ratings

Pixel Perfect reports
Customizable dashboards
Report Formatting Templates
Drill-down analysis
Formatting capabilities
Integration with R or other statistical packages
Report sharing and collaboration
Publish to Web
Publish to PDF
Report Versioning
Report Delivery Scheduling
Delivery to Remote Servers
Pre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.)
Location Analytics / Geographic Visualization
Predictive Analytics
Multi-User Support (named login)
Role-Based Security Model
Multiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete)
Single Sign-On (SSO)
REST API
Javascript API
iFrames
Java API
Themeable User Interface (UI)
Customizable Platform (Open Source)