Cameleon CPQ - a review
Updated February 19, 2014
Cameleon CPQ - a review
Score 6 out of 10
- Cameleon Designer
Overall Satisfaction with Cameleon CPQ
Cameleon CPQ is used by the sales team to create quotes for a wide range of products. Since my client's focus shifted towards the usage of Salesforce as the primary CRM tool, Cameleon's Salesforce integration capabilities and competitive pricing made it a viable alternative to the existing CRM and quoting system used by the sales team. In the process of implementing CPQ, several challenges related to quoting were addressed and process improvements were made. The roll out of the tool is in progress and the initial reaction from the sales team has been positive. Some enhancements need to be taken up by Cameleon that are currently lacking.
- Salesforce.com integration via a plugin that lets end users access Cameleon CPQ systems.
- Quoting made easier with complex business rules.
- Good support from the Cameleon team with fixes and enhancements.
- Integration with other onsite systems such as Oracle databases require the expertise of knowledgeable developers. Manual upload of flat files are always an option , but not necessarily the cleanest.
- Better Cameleon CPQ Designer UI would go a long way. Currently UI is a stark contrast to the intuitive UI of SalesForce.com or similar SaaS based tools. Not too much to ask for , considering the fact that we work in the era of Facebook and Twitter.
- Real time data availability is a long way to go for Cameleon CPQ. Updates to data pushed over as batches to Cameleon are reflected at Salesforce.com only after a 'versioning' process is launched. Current recommended frequency for this process is once a day (an upgrade to make it twice a day is in the works).
- A salesforce.com -esque approach to CRM has a whole gamut of advantages. Cameleon CPQ complements this approach.
- Expect down times , feature problems or general disagreement about Cameleon's capabilities initially. This is true for adopting any new tool or technology. Hold on and it will tide over.
- As a person who has used Cameleon purely as a developer standpoint , I do not have anything more to add-on.
There are a few features that we expected from the tool but Cameleon's CPQ has fallen short on these. Possible enhancements and product fixes should be made as soon as possible to change the perspective. Unexpected bugs in the tool have come up during the roll-out that has caught the implementation team off-guard.
Is my IT team ready to handle the challenges with data integration ? Are all the features offered by my current quoting tool being offered by Cameleon? Do I need a SaaS based quoting tool? Would it be easy and intuitive for my sales team (who,quite frankly, worship MS Excel) to use Cameleon ? Do I need a real-time/near-real-time quoting tool or would delays in data refreshes be acceptable ?