Outreach is a customer engagement platform that promises to help optimize every interaction throughout the customer lifecycle. The platform manages all customer interactions across email, voice and social, and leverages machine learning to guide reps to take the right actions. Outreach has thousa...
Sales Email Tracking Tools
Best Sales Email Tracking Tools
TrustMaps are two-dimensional charts that compare products based on satisfaction ratings and research frequency by prospective buyers. Products must have 10 or more ratings to appear on this TrustMap.
Sales Email Tracking Tools Overview
What is Sales Email Tracking Software?
Sales email tracking software places a tiny 1x1 image pixel in sent messages (not visible to the naked eye). This pixel provides information to the sender about when and where and when an email is opened, how many times it is opened, on what type of device, etc. Basic tools track individual emails and alert users when an email is opened. The resulting intelligence is similar to “read receipts” (available through Gmail), except that sale email tracking software requires no action on the part of the recipient—and often the recipient is unaware that any tracking has taken place.
More advanced tools integrate with users’ CRM systems and allow users to automate follow-up messages and schedule emails to send later. In addition, they may be able to track recipients’ engagement with email attachments, links, and presentations, and may be able to report on aggregate email tracking results and analyze trends or make recommendations. When attached to a contact or account CRM record, sales email tracking results may provide activity-based sales intelligence around prospects’ interests and engagement history.
In general, sales email tracking software is very easy to use. However, because the software uses an image pixel as the basis for tracking, if recipients have images blocked, require image display permissions, or are using plain-text email, the sender will not be able to track activity on that email. Also, users have reported issues with the accuracy of email tracking; though this is a concern across the category, many still feel that email tracking tools are a valuable asset for sales. Note that tracking forwarded and copied emails is another pain point for the category as a whole.
Email Tracking & Privacy: Are All Emails Tracked?
Users can choose whether to track an email—not all emails have to be tracked—but products handle this choice differently. The most rudimentary sales email tracking software requires users to add the provider’s name to the email address to any email they want to track, routing the email through the provider’s server. This is the case with GetNotify, DidTheyReadIt, and WhoReadMe. (Note that users of these services sometimes have issues with deliverability.)
With most of the leading products, which are email client apps or browser extensions, users push a button or check a box to determine tracking. Some email tracking products are opt-in, while others are opt-out. For example, with Sidekick there is a checkbox at the top of every email, and users can click to un-check the box if they do not want the email to be tracked. Like Sidekick, Yesware also uses a tracking checkbox, but users must proactively check the box to track an email (the default is not to track).
Although email tracking has raised privacy/security concerns in the consumer marketplace, tools like docTrackr actually pair tracking with security features like email encryption, remote destruction, and attachment printing oversight.
Free Email Tracking Software
Some of the simple email and link tracking tools, like MailTrack, are available free. Other popular tools, including Sidekick, Yesware and Streak, have a free plan with a limited number of emails that can be tracked per month and limited features available for free. Paid sales email tracking plans range from $7-$120 per user per month; most cost under $50. Many sales email tracking vendors offer a 14-30 day free trial.
Sales Email Tracking vs. Email Marketing & Marketing Automation
There are key differences between sales email tracking software and email marketing/marketing automation tools (which also allow users to do things like schedule emails, use email templates, track prospect engagement, etc.). Dimensions where sales and marketing email tools commonly differ:
- Email creation: Whereas users send marketing emails through the email marketing or MA platform, sales email tracking tools live in users’ inboxes. The leading sales email tracking tools work through the email clients (usually Gmail or Outlook) that salespeople already use, rather than through the vendor’s server.
- Adoption by individual users: While platforms like marketing automation are likely to be adopted organization or at least team-wide, sales email tracking tools are usually adopted by individual salespeople. Accordingly, pricing for most paid plans is per user per month.
- Type of email, templates, & personalization: Marketing emails are typically one-to-many communications, whereas sales communications are more often one-to-one and need to personal and specific. Although some marketing email tools have advanced/automated personalization features, sales email personalization is often more manual.
- Cadence & campaigns: Sales email tracking tools may support sorting emails and optionally scheduled phone calls where an autodialer is present through desired cadences which in turn may be sorted into various campaigns; but generally the cadence is the focus, with the goal of maintaining well-timed lead touches, avoiding dropped leads, and progressing leads through the steps of a cadence without fail. Additionally emails may be scheduled and fired in bulk, though usually with reference to a manual trigger fired by an individual salesperson.
- Autodialer & lead tracking: Because email tracking tools emphasize feedback for an individual business development rep or salesperson, many tools now include autodialers to bring lead management and outreach under one umbrella. Calls may also be organized into cadences and optimized (or at least presented to the salesperson in a logical sequence) to maximize efficiency and ensure daily outreach benchmarks are met. Sales actions may be managed from the lead view or from a view of the cadence, allowing sales and business development representatives to send emails or also make phone calls via the autodialer, and also allow them judge their progress to completion accurately and from an easy to manage to console.
- Reporting: Sales email tracking software reports on metrics for individual emails, like when and how many times an email was opened, and sometimes on aggregate metrics like what time of day emails are most often opened or which email templates have the highest engagement. Marketing email tools may report on similar details, but many go beyond basic tracking metrics with campaign attribution reporting and more advanced engagement analytics. Also, in terms of report (in)accuracy, marketers are generally more concerned with consistency—if the software makes errors, they should be consistent so that campaigns can be effectively compared—versus salespeople’s concern with the type of error—does the software say an email has been opened when it hasn’t been, or does the software fail to notify me about an email that has been opened?
- Integrations: CRM integration is important for both sales email tracking software and marketing email software (although not all products, especially basic products in either category, offer pre-built CRM integration). However, email marketing and marketing automation platforms may also integrate with CMSs, content marketing, account-based marketing, predictive sales analytics, web analytics, eCommerce, and kinds of other software.
Sales Email Tracking Software Features & Capabilities
Although some email tracking apps provide only basic metrics and require users to route emails through their servers, here are some of the additional features and capabilities provided by more robust solutions:
- Gmail compatible: The sales email tracking software works with the user’s Gmail account.
- Outlook compatible: The sales email tracking software works with the user’s Outlook account.
- Sales email tracking integration to Salesforce: Contact email activity is synced to Salesforce, so that emails are logged within CRM records. Information from the CRM database (such as contact history) is available within the user’s email inbox in a sidebar.
- Basic sales email tracking metrics: Provides accurate tracking for opens, reads, clickthroughs, etc.
- Sales email engagement tracking: Users can track sales email content engagement at a more granular level, such as how long readers spent looking at attachments or particular slides in presentations.
- Email templates: Users can set up and customize reusable email templates.
- Sales email cadence: Plan and organize campaigns around desired intervals including steps of various kinds (e.g. email alternating with scheduled phone call).
- Cadence progression automation: Automate progression of leads through cadences based on response rules (e.g. stop cadence if lead responds).
- Campaign management: Sort templates, plans, leads, or cadences into campaigns.
- Mail merge: Users can send semi-personalized mass emails using CSV spreadsheets and email templates.
- A/B sales email testing: Includes A/B testing for sales email templates, subject lines, etc.
- Sales email reports: Includes individual and/or team reports on sales email metrics.
- Sales email recommendations: The tool makes recommendations about next steps, which template to use, etc. based on email engagement activity and other sales intelligence.
- Sales email scheduling: Users can schedule emails to be sent later.
- Sales email automation: Allows users to set up automatic follow-up messages.
- Follow-up reminders: Users can resend emails to themselves (appear at top of inbox) or schedule reminders to follow up on certain emails.
- Click-to-call: Users can call a contact from within the context of an email/contact record via this tool.
Sales Email Tracking Products
Listings (1-25 of 45)
InsideSales.com Predictive Playbooks aims to help SDRs and AEs quickly build closeable pipeline, by helping salespeople get a hold of more of the right people. InsideSales.com uses their A.I.-platform called Neuralytics to target likely buyers combined with their cadence engine to help sales reps...
SalesLoft provides sales people with data sourced from the web to help prioritize leads and inform sales people so that they can have more productive sales conversations. SalesLoft competes directly with InsideView and LeadLander.
Conversica provides lead management software for marketing, inside sales and sales groups.
Sidekick is a sales intelligence solution. Some key features include: Email Profiles and Email Tracking.
Yesware is a service for salespeople that helps them close deals faster. An email service tracks email, templates responses and syncs to CRM.
InsideSales.com provides a sales acceleration platform that is built on Neuralytics, a predictive and prescriptive self-learning engine that drives revenue growth by delivering an optimized experience for both the salesperson and buyer.
Drift is an AI-driven sales and marketing tool that acts as a virtual assistant, facilitating conversations with leads, qualifying them, enriching CRM data with information gathered, and automatically booking sales meetings.
Cirrus Insight integrates Salesforce with Gmail, Google Calendar, and Google Contacts. Instantly View Contextual Salesforce Information in Your Inbox. Save Emails & Attachments to Salesforce with a Click. Sync Your Google & Salesforce Calendars. Create & Edit Salesforce Records on th...
Groove is a software platform designed to facilitate sales team productivity, with email and calendar integration, campaign automation, analytics, a dialer, and account-based selling tools.
ToutApp is a sales email tracking tool that includes tracking, templates, click-to-call, and analytics. Tout also includes a Calendar to streamline bookings. The vendor says it aims to be the "swiss-army knife" for sales development reps, account executives, sales ops, sales managers, marketing t...
Streak is a cloud-based sales email tracking tool for Gmail. The vendor describes Streak as "CRM in your inbox," and the mission is to allow users to run their entire businesses from their inboxes. It includes email power tools such as view tracking info, mail merge, snooze, send later, snippets,...
Reply is a sales engagement platform that automates one-to-many communication and scales cold outreach while keeping it 100% personal, says the vendor. Whether it's inbound, outbound, recruiting, account management, business development, new user trials or existing customers - Reply is designed...
Mailshake, from Bang Bang, is a suite of tools for teams sending sales emails, including pre-written emails, follow-up scheduling and send controls, merge fields and customization / personalization, in-built monitoring, and both an API and Zapier integrations, notably with Gmail and Google Suite.
SalesforceIQ Inbox is a set of apps that add "relationship intelligence" to the Salesforce Sales Cloud. SalesforceIQ Inbox connects customer data from the Sales Cloud to users' email inboxes, surfacing contextual information that can be used to write relevant messages. It also allows users to cre...
BombBomb in Colorado Springs offers a video messaging and marketing platform to accelerate and personalize sales processes. The video, which integrates with Gmail, Salesforce, and Outlook, provides open tracking and video response capabilities, reminder and notifications, reusable text for sales ...
MailTrack is a basic sales email tracking app, downloadable online for free. It allows users to double-check from mobile to their Gmail accounts, in order to know when their emails are read with privacy and safety.
ContactMonkey tracks sales emails and brings Salesforce.com into the user's inbox to increase productivity. ContactMonkey is a plugin for Outlook and Gmail that deeply integrates with Salesforce. ContactMonkey gives users the following capabilities: - Track who opens emails, how many times, in ...
Tout is video advertising technology from the company of the same name in San Francisco, California.
Bananatag is email tracking software for sales teams and internal communications. It integrates with Gmail, Outlook, Mac mail, and other email clients. It includes email tracking, link tracking, email scheduling, email templates, attachment tracking, and email analytics. Users can track up to 5 ...
FollowUp is a Gmail plugin that helps salespeople close more deals, build deeper relationships, and save more time with open tracking, send later, reminders and more. The Starter package costs $25 per user per month, and includes basic features like reminders, auto follow-ups, response detection,...
LeadGenius is a combination of sales intelligence software and services designed to prospect new B2B leads and augment B2B lead data. LeadGenius includes solutions for three areas of sales intelligence: Lead Generation, Lead Enrichment, and Email Outreach. The vendor says LeadGenius can Identify ...
LinkPoint Connect promises to streamline data entry and access by enabling users to instantly view CRM data within their email client. This sales intelligence solution integrates Salesforce and Microsoft Dynamics CRM data in Outlook or IBM Notes.According to the vendor, key capabilities include:...
Mailbutler is a personal assistant for sales emails, designed to make users more efficient and productive. It adds a wide range of features to Apple Mail and Gmail while working in their native interface.