Outreach aims to help sales teams secure more meetings with prospects, increase sales opportunities and achieve revenue goals. Founded in 2014, Outreach is headquartered in Seattle, WA but also has offices in San Francisco and Tampa.
Sales Email Tracking Tools
Best Sales Email Tracking Tools
TrustMaps are two-dimensional charts that compare products based on satisfaction ratings and research frequency by prospective buyers. Products must have 10 or more ratings to appear on this TrustMap.
Sales Email Tracking Tools Overview
What is Sales Email Tracking Software?
Sales email tracking software places a tiny 1x1 image pixel in sent messages (not visible to the naked eye). This pixel provides information to the sender about when and where and when an email is opened, how many times it is opened, on what type of device, etc. Basic tools track individual emails and alert users when an email is opened. The resulting intelligence is similar to “read receipts” (available through Gmail), except that sale email tracking software requires no action on the part of the recipient—and often the recipient is unaware that any tracking has taken place.
More advanced tools integrate with users’ CRM systems and allow users to automate follow-up messages and schedule emails to send later. In addition, they may be able to track recipients’ engagement with email attachments, links, and presentations, and may be able to report on aggregate email tracking results and analyze trends or make recommendations. When attached to a contact or account CRM record, sales email tracking results may provide activity-based sales intelligence around prospects’ interests and engagement history.
In general, sales email tracking software is very easy to use. However, because the software uses an image pixel as the basis for tracking, if recipients have images blocked, require image display permissions, or are using plain-text email, the sender will not be able to track activity on that email. Also, users have reported issues with the accuracy of email tracking; though this is a concern across the category, many still feel that email tracking tools are a valuable asset for sales. Note that tracking forwarded and copied emails is another pain point for the category as a whole.
Email Tracking & Privacy: Are All Emails Tracked?
Users can choose whether to track an email—not all emails have to be tracked—but products handle this choice differently. The most rudimentary sales email tracking software requires users to add the provider’s name to the email address to any email they want to track, routing the email through the provider’s server. This is the case with GetNotify, DidTheyReadIt, and WhoReadMe. (Note that users of these services sometimes have issues with deliverability.)
With most of the leading products, which are email client apps or browser extensions, users push a button or check a box to determine tracking. Some email tracking products are opt-in, while others are opt-out. For example, with Sidekick there is a checkbox at the top of every email, and users can click to un-check the box if they do not want the email to be tracked. Like Sidekick, Yesware also uses a tracking checkbox, but users must proactively check the box to track an email (the default is not to track).
Although email tracking has raised privacy/security concerns in the consumer marketplace, tools like docTrackr actually pair tracking with security features like email encryption, remote destruction, and attachment printing oversight.
Free Email Tracking Software
Some of the simple email and link tracking tools, like MailTrack, are available free. Other popular tools, including Sidekick, Yesware and Streak, have a free plan with a limited number of emails that can be tracked per month and limited features available for free. Paid sales email tracking plans range from $7-$120 per user per month; most cost under $50. Many sales email tracking vendors offer a 14-30 day free trial.
Sales Email Tracking vs. Email Marketing & Marketing Automation
There are key differences between sales email tracking software and email marketing/marketing automation tools (which also allow users to do things like schedule emails, use email templates, track prospect engagement, etc.). Dimensions where sales and marketing email tools commonly differ:
- Email creation: Whereas users send marketing emails through the email marketing or MA platform, sales email tracking tools live in users’ inboxes. The leading sales email tracking tools work through the email clients (usually Gmail or Outlook) that salespeople already use, rather than through the vendor’s server.
- Adoption by individual users: While platforms like marketing automation are likely to be adopted organization or at least team-wide, sales email tracking tools are usually adopted by individual salespeople. Accordingly, pricing for most paid plans is per user per month.
- Type of email, templates, & personalization: Marketing emails are typically one-to-many communications, whereas sales communications are more often one-to-one and need to personal and specific. Although some marketing email tools have advanced/automated personalization features, sales email personalization is often more manual.
- Cadence & campaigns: Sales email tracking tools may support sorting emails and optionally scheduled phone calls where an autodialer is present through desired cadences which in turn may be sorted into various campaigns; but generally the cadence is the focus, with the goal of maintaining well-timed lead touches, avoiding dropped leads, and progressing leads through the steps of a cadence without fail. Additionally emails may be scheduled and fired in bulk, though usually with reference to a manual trigger fired by an individual salesperson.
- Autodialer & lead tracking: Because email tracking tools emphasize feedback for an individual business development rep or salesperson, many tools now include autodialers to bring lead management and outreach under one umbrella. Calls may also be organized into cadences and optimized (or at least presented to the salesperson in a logical sequence) to maximize efficiency and ensure daily outreach benchmarks are met. Sales actions may be managed from the lead view or from a view of the cadence, allowing sales and business development representatives to send emails or also make phone calls via the autodialer, and also allow them judge their progress to completion accurately and from an easy to manage to console.
- Reporting: Sales email tracking software reports on metrics for individual emails, like when and how many times an email was opened, and sometimes on aggregate metrics like what time of day emails are most often opened or which email templates have the highest engagement. Marketing email tools may report on similar details, but many go beyond basic tracking metrics with campaign attribution reporting and more advanced engagement analytics. Also, in terms of report (in)accuracy, marketers are generally more concerned with consistency—if the software makes errors, they should be consistent so that campaigns can be effectively compared—versus salespeople’s concern with the type of error—does the software say an email has been opened when it hasn’t been, or does the software fail to notify me about an email that has been opened?
- Integrations: CRM integration is important for both sales email tracking software and marketing email software (although not all products, especially basic products in either category, offer pre-built CRM integration). However, email marketing and marketing automation platforms may also integrate with CMSs, content marketing, account-based marketing, predictive sales analytics, web analytics, eCommerce, and kinds of other software.
Sales Email Tracking Software Features & Capabilities
Although some email tracking apps provide only basic metrics and require users to route emails through their servers, here are some of the additional features and capabilities provided by more robust solutions:
- Gmail compatible: The sales email tracking software works with the user’s Gmail account.
- Outlook compatible: The sales email tracking software works with the user’s Outlook account.
- Sales email tracking integration to Salesforce: Contact email activity is synced to Salesforce, so that emails are logged within CRM records. Information from the CRM database (such as contact history) is available within the user’s email inbox in a sidebar.
- Basic sales email tracking metrics: Provides accurate tracking for opens, reads, clickthroughs, etc.
- Sales email engagement tracking: Users can track sales email content engagement at a more granular level, such as how long readers spent looking at attachments or particular slides in presentations.
- Email templates: Users can set up and customize reusable email templates.
- Sales email cadence: Plan and organize campaigns around desired intervals including steps of various kinds (e.g. email alternating with scheduled phone call).
- Cadence progression automation: Automate progression of leads through cadences based on response rules (e.g. stop cadence if lead responds).
- Campaign management: Sort templates, plans, leads, or cadences into campaigns.
- Mail merge: Users can send semi-personalized mass emails using CSV spreadsheets and email templates.
- A/B sales email testing: Includes A/B testing for sales email templates, subject lines, etc.
- Sales email reports: Includes individual and/or team reports on sales email metrics.
- Sales email recommendations: The tool makes recommendations about next steps, which template to use, etc. based on email engagement activity and other sales intelligence.
- Sales email scheduling: Users can schedule emails to be sent later.
- Sales email automation: Allows users to set up automatic follow-up messages.
- Follow-up reminders: Users can resend emails to themselves (appear at top of inbox) or schedule reminders to follow up on certain emails.
- Click-to-call: Users can call a contact from within the context of an email/contact record via this tool.
Sales Email Tracking Products
Listings (1-25 of 50)
InsideSales.com offers the industry's leading sales acceleration platform built on Neuralytics, a predictive and prescriptive self-learning engine that drives revenue growth by delivering an optimized experience for both salesperson and buyer. The platform fuels sales rep performance and provides...
SalesLoft provides sales people with data sourced from the web to help prioritize leads and inform sales people so that they can have more productive sales conversations. SalesLoft competes directly with InsideView and LeadLander.
Conversica provides lead management software for marketing, inside sales and sales groups.
Sidekick is a sales intelligence solution. Some key features include: Email Profiles and Email Tracking.
Yesware is a service for salespeople that helps them close deals faster. An email service tracks email, templates responses and syncs to CRM.
Drift provides marketing and sales software that uses AI and chatbots to automatically nurture, qualify, and book meetings with leads who visit a company's website. Drift was founded in 2014 and is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts.
Groove.co provides a software platform designed to facilitate sales team productivity, with email and calendar integration, campaign automation, analytics, a dialer, and account-based selling tools. The company was founded in 2013 and is based in San Francisco, California.
Cirrus Insight integrates Salesforce with Gmail, Google Calendar, and Google Contacts. Instantly View Contextual Salesforce Information in Your Inbox. Save Emails & Attachments to Salesforce with a Click. Sync Your Google & Salesforce Calendars. Create & Edit Salesforce Records on th...
Marketo, an Adobe company, offers the leading Engagement Platform that empowers marketers to build brand value, grow revenue, and prove impact. Consistently recognized as the industry’s innovation pioneer, Marketo is the trusted platform for thousands of CMOs thanks to its scalability, reliabilit...
Rewardly, Inc. develops a customer relationship management (CRM) API platform. Its platform allows users to keep track of their deals from inbox; share parts of their inbox and deals across their company; schedule emails to send later; group emails from the same customer together into one view an...
Reply is an ai-backed sales acceleration platform, which automates one-to-many communication and scales cold outreach while keeping it 100% personal. Crush your sales quotas and book more meetings with Reply: Reply automates email outreach and follow-ups.It offers out-of-the-box email and camp...
Mailshake, from Bang Bang, is a suite of tools for teams sending sales emails, including pre-written emails, follow-up scheduling and send controls, merge fields and customization / personalization, in-built monitoring, and both an API and Zapier integrations, notably with Gmail and Google Suite.
Salesforce provides a customer success platform. The company's social and mobile cloud technologies include their flagship sales and CRM applications. The company was founded in 1999 and is headquartered in San Francisco, CA.
Tout is video advertising technology from the company of the same name in San Francisco, California.
BombBomb in Colorado Springs offers a video messaging and marketing platform to accelerate and personalize sales processes. The video, which integrates with Gmail, Salesforce, and Outlook, provides open tracking and video response capabilities, reminder and notifications, reusable text for sales ...
MailTrack is a provider of free email tracking software via their app for Gmail and mobile. The company was founded in 2013 and is headquartered in Spain.
ContactMonkey is a provider of sales email tracking software for Outlook and Gmail. ContactMonkey also integrates with Salesforce. The company was founded in 2010 and is based in Toronto, Canada.
LinkPoint360 provides CRM to email integration solutions. Founded in 2001, the company is headquartered in Red Bank, NJ.
Bananatag provides an email tracking service for daily emails. It works with any email client so users can track their emails from the email client they already use. For tracking individual emails there are Free, Pro and Team accounts so users can choose the level of service right for them. They ...
Followup.cc is a Gmail plugin that helps you close more deals, build deeper relationships, and save more time with open tracking, send later, reminders and more. FollowUp.cc is privately held and currently has 75,000+ customers, including companies like rapportive, AppSumo, Wootric, Close.io, Med...
LeadGenius is a provider of sales intelligence software and services around custom B2B leads data. Their data experts conduct ongoing research to automatically supply teams with accurate contact information and hard-to-acquire data points for the most valuable buyer personas. By combining a remo...
Mailbutler was founded in 2015 with the vision to make the life of email users easier, helping them complete their daily tasks in the most convenient and elegant way. Mailbutler has one primary target: to simplify life and optimize one’s daily productivity. The company is based in Berlin, Germany.
Prospect.io, headquartered in Brussels, offers their sales intelligence tool to support prospecting, with email tracking and analytics to follow progression from identified prospect to active lead.