Monetate - 4 Stars!
August 17, 2017
Monetate - 4 Stars!
Score 7 out of 10
- Test & Segment
- Product Recommendations
- Open-Time Email
Overall Satisfaction with Monetate
Monetate is being used by one department, the internet marketing department. We currently utilize the Open-time Email, Product Recs, and Onsite Content. With Monetate we are able to achieve a more personalized experience for visitors based on browsing behavior, purchase behavior, geo-targeting, weather forecast, etc. We are also able to target new vs. returning visitors, device type, and so many other options we haven't even explored yet. None of which we were able to do on our current platform.
- Monetate's knowledge base has been so helpful! Before I send an email to our rep, I always search the knowledge base first and most answers you'll find there!
- During implementation, there are detailed check-lists on next steps. Being the project leader I found this extremely helpful. Mostly because it was easy to delegate items to the team and everyone was held responsible for their part of the implementation timeline.
- Monetate provides training modules to get you familiar with setting up Experiences prior to a formal training. We all found this helpful because we had came to formal training with questions about specific use cases.
- Once you get in the UI it's extremely easy to navigate - this was something we were really excited about. We wanted the UI to be business user friendly and it completely met our expectations.
- There seems to be very limited targeting options in Open-time Email. Onsite content has much more robust options in targeting.
- Our rep and platform consultant aren't as responsive to questions and insights as we hoped they would be. We expect answers from them within the same day and sometimes it's days before I have to follow-up on where this is at.
- There are limitations on measuring the true success of personalized emails. The only email analytics you see in the UI are on the clicks on the Monetate creative. We would like to know whether someone saw the personalized content and then clicked in the header or footer in the email template. Unfortunately there's no way to achieve that in Monetate. You would have to utilize your ESP to A/B test and determine the true success of a personalized email.
- We have only been using Monetate for about 1 month and are still working on trying to evaluate our ROI.
There are two different testing options. One option is split testing where there is a 50/50 split between visitors with options to add more splits. The other option is majority fit where the tool determines a shift in visitors to either "test" depending on how well the tests are doing. For example, if there is a lift in conversion on Split A the tool will automatically push more visitors into Split A because it's performing better than Split B.
There are so many options that we haven't even been able to explore using yet!! We have mostly been using Web behavior targeting to start which is working just as we'd expect.
Web analytics is excellent. The tool has about 10 built in metrics that are tracked for every experience and you are able to create new metrics as well. The reason for the 5 rating is based on email analytics. There is no way to measure the success of personalized content if someone is clicking outside of the click zones/slices our team creates in Monetate (i.e. The header and footer of the email template).
Integrations took a lot longer than expected. We acquired Monetate as a new vendor in April and didn't deploy our first experience until the end of July. Expect integration to take a little longer if you utilize a tag management vendor and if your product feed is sent from a vendor as well.
Monetate is well suited for personalizing onsite content. We are currently replacing content with brand affinities, category affinities, new vs. returning customers and it's doing very well. We have found it super difficult setting up personalized email campaigns. We believe that email is a new thing Monetate is new to. There are not as many targeting options as there are in Onsite Content, it's hard to measure the success of the personalized content, we still have out-standing questions on email click zones, etc.