Now & Future of Oracle Peoplesoft SCM
March 01, 2016
Now & Future of Oracle Peoplesoft SCM
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Oracle PeopleSoft SCM
Oracle PeopleSoft SCM is widely used in areas of demand management, supply management, planning, service, logistics and manufacturing. It's used across the entire organization for all the areas listed above. It helps in providing an open, integrated, risk reducing and a solution driven system and is one of the key tools in the market today.
- Oracle Peoplesoft Supply Chain Management is a completely open, integrated and risk mitigating system which is quite foremost in the market today. It deals with the complicated arena of supply chain management which and various modules such as Supply/Demand Planning, Management, Service, Logistics Distribution and Order Management.
- Oracle's Peoplesoft has the entire architecture stack to support and maintain this huge and complicated system of supply chain management. Tools such as Integration Broker, Web Services, 3 tiered architecture and enhanced security capabilities contribute immensely to maintain and manage a complex system.
- Supply Chain Management caters to all levels such as suppliers and end users/customers. The system is widely used in all stages and Peoplesoft provides a robust module and security enhanced features to support this system at all levels.
- While the Oracle Peoplesoft Supply Chain Management solution is complex and quite open, there are areas which definitely can be improved. Mainly with integration to various third party vendors. There are now various tools in the market which make this integration seamless and we cannot but think how to expand Peoplesoft's capabilities to be more open in this area.
- Database optimization is another big challenge as we continue to grow and accumulate more and more data for this module. The data stored is indefinitely large and Oracle is now leaning more towards data management tools/software/databases such as Big Data and Exadata to mitigate this risk.
- One major improvement which can be made is to use a traditional job monitoring tool instead of Oracle Peoplesoft's scheduler. There are a wide variety of tools available in the market for customers to choose from and it would nice to see a proprietary tool from Oracle to fill in this gap.
- Oracle Peoplesoft Chain Management - taking in account its complexity is able to cater to a wide audience and is stable enough to balance the amount of data in tera bytes which is the new normal.
- Upgrades can be complicated on this system which is complex in itself. Oracle provides a comprehensive way and support in its later editions - but a system wide upgrade can be quite a challenge in case the customer has his own customization to this product.
- New tools and constant support at a varied cost from Oracle can help alleviate some of the product user or organization pain points especially when it comes to integrating new features or adding new functionalities.
Oracle Peoplesoft Supply Chain Management has the ability to scale up to new industry challenges such as cloud and fusion technologies. Other products do or are exploring these capabilities but time and experience have proven that use of one product and scaling it up on its own has many advantages. Ofcourse,with Oracle SCM or with any other leading industry product the main disadvantage would be customizing based on each organization's needs and trying to improve on the same.
It's best suited and one of the key modules in the industry for supply chain management. It reaches and caters to all levels of a customer base such as a supplier to manufacturers to end users. Its supported by a stable three tiered architecture from Peoplesoft which helps in managing and securing this complicated system over a huge and a varied user community.