Pricey but worth it
https://www.trustradius.com/application-performance-managementRiverbed SteelCentral AppInternalsUnspecified8.810101
Larry Chisholm profile photo
November 07, 2019

Pricey but worth it

Score 9 out of 101

Overall Satisfaction with Riverbed SteelCentral AppInternals

SteelCentral was purchased in addition to a riverbed device for network monitoring. New owners for the company wanted serious visibility into their custom-written applications and performance around said applications. Right out of the gate we were able to trace down a network latency issue between our database server, and our application server (.NET). The resolution of which was simple and gave an immediate bandwidth increase.
  • Root cause finding/remediation (it goes beyond analysis).
  • Shows latency between applications and servers.
  • Identifies long-running SQL queries, and puts the onus back on developers to clean up their SQL code.
  • Cost - Riverbed is really proud of their products, and the price shows.
  • More "point and click" repair opportunities.
  • Integration with Cisco DNA, tell which devices could have issues based upon the IOS version, etc.
  • Immediate ROI by finding long-running SQL queries and putting the onus back on the developer to tighten their code (IE - It's not the network!).
  • Root cause finding (This goes beyond analysis). Riverbed was great at finding where problems were hiding so we didn't have to do too much hunting. I can estimate that there were 2-300 man-hours saved on one project alone.
  • I spent more time convincing my client they needed this than I did in resolving their issues. This was a serious win for my client and for me.
  • Riverbed is on-premise. I don't have to worry about my agents not connecting to the app dynamics cloud or a cloud agent not working and not updating information.
  • Integration with an already-existing Riverbed appliance that was already on-site and operational.
  • The cost was better on an ongoing basis. My client was more cap-x friendly than op-ex friendly.
Fortunately, I've not had to use support very often. I will chide Riverbed on this, as I do any other company that outsources support to India. Please stop! When your customers can't understand the person on the other end, it makes support cases incredibly difficult. Please, Riverbed, use English as a first language talent.

Do you think Riverbed SteelCentral AppInternals delivers good value for the price?

Are you happy with Riverbed SteelCentral AppInternals's feature set?

Did Riverbed SteelCentral AppInternals live up to sales and marketing promises?

Did implementation of Riverbed SteelCentral AppInternals go as expected?

Would you buy Riverbed SteelCentral AppInternals again?

It is well suited for companies wanting to get the most out of their applications, and have a good amount of money to spend. This product would be great for anyone's company, but it is a bit cost-prohibitive to SMB's. I would recommend to Riverbed to have a "per engagement" cost with trusted partners, to clear up performance issues on a one-time cost basis.

Riverbed SteelCentral AppInternals Feature Ratings

Application monitoring
Database monitoring
Threshold alerts
Predictive capabilities
Application performance management console
Collaboration tools
Out-of-the box templates to monitor applications
Application dependency mapping and thresholding
Virtualization monitoring
Server availability and performance monitoring
Server usage monitoring and capacity forecasting
IT Asset Discovery