SOAP UI Hasn't Cleaned My Troubleshooting Needs Yet

SOAP UI Hasn't Cleaned My Troubleshooting Needs Yet

Software Version

Other

Overall Satisfaction with SoapUI NG Pro

We use it primarily for REST troubleshooting and authentication testing. It's the only application of its kind available on our locked-down development environment currently. We also use it for SOAP troubleshooting, as a lot of our medical data transfers use this standard.
  • Managing different testing environments through projects.
  • Makes a clear distinction between REST and SOAP troubleshooting.
  • There are a lot of options available that support various data standards, some that are more obscure but help the person that needs it.
  • When you need to just do a quick REST test, it takes too long to get everything setup from a new project.
  • Adding authentications can be a pain, and if it's basic auth then you have to base64 encode it yourself.
  • The UI used to be pretty ugly. Their update to it recently seemed to just put a flat look on everything to make it seem modern but didn't actually overhaul much. Buttons still jump around and move/shift when other dynamic areas change during a test that goes through a bunch of calls. Also, they still use child windows to control all the views, which isn't very nice to work with considering no other development application I use does that.
  • It's helped troubleshoot REST and SOAP issues, but not speedily. I've often had to turn to other tools instead. It has made projects take longer.
Just some basic REST clients like RESTlet and HTTP Header Spy work really great and are fast to setup. They work the way I expect. Burp also is a lot more powerful albeit there's a lot more going on than you may need.
Managing lots of different projects and domains to test is easier with SoapUI, it's not good for doing a quick test on something new or a one-off thing.