Varicent was my client. I was conducting enterprise performance testing on their Sales Performance Management tool to see how it would perform under user load to help with capacity planning and business continuity amongst other similar purposes.
- The software has strong design and feels like it was developed to be robust.
- It handled the performance tests very well in most areas. I can't give specifics because its confidential.
- The software has useful features that would benefit any sales organization.
- The software is designed for large sales organizations. The regular version may be too much for smaller organizations.
- Its designed to calculate variable based pay, and would benefit firms who use that method. It would not be useful for companies who employ simpler compensation valuations like base pay plus fixed commissions.
- The target niche that this software appeals to may be a bit narrow. I don't expect to use it in my organization for IT services.
- Since they were my client, it has been a positive impact for me to recommend it to sales organizations.
- I would not recommend it for my own IT services organization as it is more than we would need at this time.
- But organizations with complex sales-driven strategies may find it useful.
Zoho is the only comparable product I have recommended implementing when I was finance director for a nonprofit charity. The benefits of Varicent are the increased functionality to handle complex compensation valuations based on sales performance of individual employees, not simply tracking relationships with customers.
Varicent was a good client with a strong software application and I would be happy to do business with them if the released newer versions with different functionality or architecture to measure performance.
First choose a strategy for how to value compensation for your employees. Then ask if this software supports the calculations and metrics used to determine compensation to see if it is necessary. This software is helpful for complex large organizations but would be too much for a smaller or simpler sales organization to justify the cost depending on the industry. Industries with large discrepancies in the types of products and services and prices offered for sale may find this software useful.