Overall Satisfaction with Visual Studio Test Professional
At my company we program and test our entire product in Visual Studios. We write medical software for doctors so we use Visuals Studios to program updates and fix bugs that are found by our offices. The whole company does not use this product but all the developers in the company do. This includes about 50 programmers/engineers located in New York and Pennsylvania. Whenever a bug is found we are alerted and we go in Visual Studios where our product is kept, fix and test the problem and then send it off to QA who further tests it.
- I really like team explorer option. This makes finding the pending changes super easy and uploading my changes to the software very simple and not a hassle at all.
- The debugger is awesome, I have used other software that is somewhat difficult to add breakpoints and clear them once they are put in place, but Visual Studios has all those bases covered.
- Along with the ease of the break points other debug options like the error list and the detailed very accessible call stack is very helpful.
- One thing that I don't love is the pinning options. If you unpin something I find it fairly hard to find how to get it back and that frustrates me sometimes.
- The icons, other than the save and folder icons, aren't as clear as to what they are as I would like. I find myself spending a lot of time hovering over each icon to see what it actually is.
- We use Crystal Reports when we are setting up our reports for the doctors' offices. I wish there Crystal Reports was integrated into Visual Studios. It would be much nicer than have to switch to the Crystal editor to get the report changed.
- One of the positive ROIs of Visual Studios is the fact that it makes producing our work at a quick rate, things like Intellisense make our work get produced at a much higher rate which is good for our return of investment.
- Testing by the developers has increased by 23%, we now take the time to actually test our product before we send it to our QA people.
- I am not aware of any negative ROI aspects to our company that have been found.
Being in college I have used a lot of less developed software. Visual Studios offers a wider variety of tools that helps find where the problems in our software are along with editing options that make these changes less painful and way easier to accomplish. Before we used two different softwares and edit and then test and that just took a long time and was a pain in the ass I really like that VS gives it all to us.
I would definitely recommend this product to a colleague or even another programmer who doesn't work for my company. Our software is pretty complex and large but this is not a problem for Visual Studios, it helps us keep everything in order and runs are testing exactly how we want it to. One of the great things that VS does is the search box, without this tool I would probably spend hours looking for certain things.