Likelihood to Recommend
Akamai is a well-established brand name with a great product. It meets and many time exceeds the needs for global content delivery and security management layer at the edge. Fine grain security tuning seems cumbersome as the definition of the app keeps changing. It also requires an investment of time for the setup which doesn't necessarily make sense for smaller scale scenarios. Some products offered by AWS, Azure or the Google Cloud can be more tightly integrated with cloud provider offerings thus easier to configure.
Engineer in EngineeringRetail Company, 10,001+ employees
This is a good solution for a small development team who is supporting a site with many users. Many times, a shared hosting service is appropriate for a small business brochure site that gets a few hundred visitors per month, but if your site services user accounts that return or rely on information, this is a good option to rollout new changes and preserve existing data
- Page caching - for pages that don't change very often Akamai allows you to set up rules, quickly and easily, to serve up your page content for you, which takes even more load away from your origin servers.
- Quick rollback - the Akamai system allows easy testing of rules and changes via a staging system, and also offers a quick rollback option, which is perfect for the rare occasions when something has been set up incorrectly.
Manager in Information TechnologyAirlines/Aviation Company, 5001-10,000 employees
- The test and development environments are easy to work on without worrying about making production changes.
- If you make a mistake, it's no big deal. Pantheon has backups of everything and it's easy to restore them.
- The button to push to production is like magic.
- The interface in their control centre could be a bit more user-friendly with some of the settings in places that you wouldn't expect them to be. The search offsets this problem to an extent but it's still sometimes slower than you'd like to find what you are looking for.
I haven't had much experience with other CDNs and to be honest I haven't heard of many more other than Akamai which just goes to show which one is the most trusted and proves to be the best. There are others out there, such as CloudFlare, that claim to provide a similar service but there is always something missing that Akamai just already has.
GoDaddy, HostGator and 1&1 all rely on an antiquated, virtual machine paradigm that doesn't scale well in shared hosting environments and is really difficult for novice website owners to upgrade to more sophisticated services. By contrast, Pantheon is engineered from the ground up to use containerization on nginx and abstracts away the complexities of cpanel. Pantheon's opinionated approach to continuous integration cuts way down on "human error" factors of website development and deployment. GoDaddy, HostGator, 1&1, and other traditional hosting companies just don't have the seamless dev/test/live workflows that Pantheon has.
Return on Investment
- The front end optimisations available from Akamai are so significant and yet so hidden it makes for an extremely pleasing user experience. When a page loads just that much faster due to images being in the exact right format for the job it gives a clear advantage over competitors.
- Analytics coming from Akamai have changed the decisions made within the business for the better and have resulted in great improvements in many areas, such as a greater retention of visitors to the site. Little tweaks to possible certain problem areas flagged by Akamai have made a huge difference.
- Hours of time saved normalizing dev and test environments
- Hours of time saved cloning between dev, test, and live environments
- Faster site performance resulting in more ROI for ecommerce sites
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
Akamai Editions & Modules
Additional Pricing Details—
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
Pantheon Editions & Modules
Performance - Small
Performance - Medium
Performance - Large
Performance - Extra Large
1. per month
2. Contract Only
3. per month