Adobe Business Catalyst is an all-in-one cloud-hosted system for building and managing web content and on online store. It has a built-in CRM framework, and sales, service, and marketing features including eCommerce and Email Marketing tools. It was acquired by Adobe in 2009, five years after the original company was founded.https://media.trustradius.com/product-logos/u8/3P/RW47J0C8SA3I.pngAdobe Business Catalyst Review From a Frequent User of Adobe BCWe using Adobe Business Catalyst to create websites for our clients. It helps to create dynamic websites.,Webapps is superb Liquid Code Access is great Documentation can be found easily,Phone Support Not Available Can't add your own SSL Certificate Blog System is not so good.,10,,Developer,More than 10,000 pages,13,5,10,Yes,Price Product Features Prior Experience with the Product Third-party Reviews,Depends on requirements,Implemented in-house,Yes,8,No,8,Yes,Holidays Like Christmas. Emergency support is available.,Yes,9Business Catalyst: The Chemistry Between Designer and ClientI currently use Adobe Business Catalyst in my personal business in multiple roles. As I develop web sites for clients I will upload test designs to BC for their test and approval. This workflow allows me to keep control of the design until it's finally approved. After it is approved I use BC as a resellable product to offer clients. Their analytic platform as well as their online editing capabilities make a great experience for my clients.,Analytics: I am able to see on multiple levels traffic, clicks, and most importantly search terms for improving SEO. The reports are easy to generate as well as read, especially for small inexperienced business owners. Marketing: When using the BC platform businesses are able to link up easily with Adobe Marketing to automatically send out emails and newsletters. Its a very smooth and painless process. Online Editing: This is probably the best part of BC. Once a design is approved and launched on the platform, my clients do not have to contact me for small content updates. This frees me up as a small business owner to concentrate on design, new clients, and larger projects for existing clients.,Multi Client Management: The dashboard for managing multiple clients as a reseller is a little difficult to get to. There is also no very easy way for me to manage multiple clients at once. I have to log into and out of individual client accounts to do billing or management. Lack of Server support: There are certain server protocols and languages that are not supported using BC. For example I cannot build a custom php database and upload to BC. I am required to use their tools.,9,The biggest returns I have seen come from using BC as an individual product in my offerings. I see that it is also growing as a product and Adobe is growing it as a lead generation platform. The second biggest positive impact to my business comes from the time saved in development. My target demographic is small to medium sized businesses and BC is perfect for marketing to this demographic. My biggest complaint is that there is a lack of server side customization. When clients ask me if a certain type of website or application can be done I automatically know that I cannot put that site on the BC platform.,,Adobe Photoshop,Content Author / Administrator,1-10 pages,1,1,Full Website Implementation Marketing campaigns Online Editing,When combined with Adobe Muse I can quickly create fully functional test mockups for clients within a few hours.,As my organization grows I would like to either see Adobe expand Marketing Cloud or make BC compatible with lead generation or tracking.,10,No,Price Product Usability Product Reputation Vendor Reputation,We did not go through a selection process with this software. We began using it when Adobe moved to the subscription model. This changed a lot about how we did business and what we could offer our clients. BC started as an add on service but then quickly moved to an integral part of our overall business model.,Implemented in-house,No,Change management was minimal,The biggest issue was realizing that I was unable to use this platform exclusively. I still have clients that require technology not offered by the BC platform.,10,No,9,No,Publishing to BC through Adobe Dreamweaver or Muse are the main reason I use the platform. This is done very well overall between the different software platforms. Integration with many of the widgets in Muse make the platform very usable for many different situations.,PHP or MySQL implementations are impossible with BC. BC requires that you use their custom database software. This is great but has less customization opportunity.,10Building Business with Business CatalystWe are a digital marketing/web design agency that uses Business Catalyst hosting for our web sites and sites we design for our customers. We prefer Business Catalyst over WordPress because it is more secure. B.C. web hosting plans include integrated marketing tools which can result in a savings for our customers (e.g. email campaigns ... no third party app). Adobe's technical support is excellent and the B.C. community is filled with helpful and skilled designers/developers.,Continues to upgrade/improve the platform. Moved hosting to Amazon cloud, a more secure environment. Added B.C. widgets factory to greatly enhance modules used. BC apps are being developed by a third party (bcappstore.com). BC Gurus is a great platform for getting tutorials on how design, coding, and more. And they provide client tutorials. Recent addition of Liquid logic on the server is the closest thing to server side programming on BC. Great tech support.,I wish tech support would address issues with scripts, style sheets. It would be very helpful if B.C. partners were notified about improvements, maintenance schedule, etc. instead of spending time researching.,10,Better customer service Faster site builds. Workflow notifications and faster response time.,,SpyFu, Moz,Developer,100-1,000 pages,1,1,Host our websites. Host websites we build for our customers. Integrated marketing tools don't require subscriptions. Using third-party widgets/plug-ins can be doorways to hackers.,10One Login to Rule Them AllWe exclusively use the Business Catalyst platform for all of our web clients. It is an all in one product for hosting, email, email marketing, content management, blogs and ecommerce. Business Catalyst allows our clients to manage all the various system needed to run an successful online business with one login.,Blogs are one of the best ways to generate new content and gain organic rankings with search engines. Business Catalyst's built in blog engine allows users to have their blog resident on their website instead of having to maintain to two sites. This helps to keep the website fresh and builds SEO. Business Catalyst provides a comprehensive Email Marketing module. Users can create and schedule email series. BC also allows for other modules to be placed within the email so that as you update content on your website you are also populating your email newsletter. Although not a feature of Business Catalyst itself, there is a great community of BC partners that support one another. The community shares their knowledge and successes as well as their trials and tribulations. The community happily welcomes new partners without condition or judgement. Through the knowledge shared partners can learn about the platform itself, site building in general, tips on working with clients and how to build their own business. Business Catalyst support is excellent. Being able to chat with support in real time while you are talking a client through a problem is a great asset. The Web Apps module is a powerful feature which allows users to add content to the site while locking in the design. Users simply fill out a form and the information is added to the site perfectly formatted. The ability to replicate sites allows partners to reproduce a successful site thereby reducing build time and increasing productivity and profits.,The learning curve can be steep. There is no access to the server side programming so some functionality needs a work around or cannot be accomplished. It is more expensive for users than many of the other website options.,10,Business Catalyst provides partners and clients a single system to learn and maintain. No need to constantly switch gears to remember who has what CMS which makes support more efficient. Business Catalyst has made it possible to create and launch sites in less time thus increasing profitability. Business Catalyst is a large investment in the beginning about monetarily and in learning the system. It may not affordable to smaller agencies.,WordPress,3,10,Implemented in-house,9,No,10,One client wanted to take their site live on a weekday. I usually take sites live just before or after work hours on Friday in case there is a hiccup so business won't be interrupted. This client also had chosen to host their email with Business Catalyst. BC actually employs a third party for email which partners cannot directly access. Because we had never before taken a site live mid-week we were unaware that the email provider severely limits the number of outgoing emails for the first 24 hours to guard against spammers. Our client's email was pretty much shut down after a couple of hours because he had reached the limit. He was unable to conduct business. I contacted support via online chat, described the problem and within an hour had the email provider increase the limit for the rest of the day. The client was able to continue his work and I looked like a hero. Yay!,8Business Catalyst OverviewI am a small business owner and I decided to use Adobe Business Catalyst for my own website and to build websites for my clients using this platform. Using this platform I have been able to create eCommerce sites and introduce/train my clients to the CMS so they have been able to update their own content and products.,The ability to link a gateway to a shopping cart is simple and straightforward. There is a lot of documentation on how to use their tools and features The reports and statistics that are available through the admin portal is incredibly useful to be able to understand how to tighten up the usability of the created site. The ability to create simple websites with strong CMS tools.,Being able to use custom XML with web apps is non-existent even though they have been working on the issue for awhile. They even showed me a beta version of their web apps that would have done just that. That was about 2 years ago. It's email portal needs a lot of work.,8,The CMS has been a great tool to use to close a deal. Assists those who do not have much experience with back end programing. The platform is far more secure because of their closed source code than platforms like wordpress or joomla.,Joomla!,WordPress,1,1,10Adobe BC - Get your business online quicklyWe use Adobe Business Catalyst for our own website. We also help other companies get their businesses online using Adobe Business Catalyst.,Get a website online quickly Build small databases quickly Train end-users to use BC quickly Build web galleries quickly,Need to be able to build a relational database inside BC Need to be able to easily reference outside links in BC Cancelling a website isn't always easy,7,Faster website deployment Better organization since we can keep most clients under the same umbrella Adobe brand recognition,WordPress,Joomla!,Developer,10-100 pages,2,2,Real estate websites Charity website Online stores,Manage our own website,Integrating MLS solutions into websites Integrating other 3rd party solutions into our websites,9,Yes,Price Product Features Product Usability Existing Relationship with the Vendor Third-party Reviews,Wouldn't change anything with selection process,Implemented in-house,No,Change management was minimal,Occasional issues creating databases Most issues are client-related,8,Online training Self-taught,9,Easy to use; we provide training to our clients,7,No,There have been times when there was a desperate situation (aren't they all) with clients and support chat has come to the rescue quickly.,Galleries Creating new pages Creating menus,Email campaigns Web apps can be complex depending on various factors,Yes,8,8,9,9,9,9,Billing, invoicing, and reselling,Yes,Better features Better organization,integrating with 3rd party products,Yes,NoInnovaxis Marketing Review of Adobe Business CatalystAs an Adobe partner, Business Catalyst is our preferred website content management system for the vast majority of websites we design, develop and implement. We also use Adobe Business Catalyst for our website as well as CRM. We became a partner because Business Catalyst is the easiest web CMS I have ever used over the past 20 years - easiest to develop to, easiest to build out new websites, and easiest for our clients to maintain their own website and add content.,It's easy for my design team to turn Adobe InDesign or Photoshop files into HTML and CSS It's easy for my production team to build out the whole site in terms of content and on-site search engine optimization (SEO) It's easy for our clients to log in, add new pages, update the navigation, blog, and add contact forms Some clients really like the email marketing capability, especially as this functionality usually doesn't cost them anything extra Our e-commerce clients really like how easy it is to set up and maintain,Adding unique page titles and meta descriptions to the blog has been challenging especially relating to tags and the "pages" that are automatically generated for them - we'd like this to be a lot easier In-context editing is kind of cool but is really slow loading and it's difficult for my design team to set this up properly You cannot redirect certain pages that no longer exist, so our clients get dinged in Google Webmaster Tools for pages no longer there - e.g. database-created pages with question marks in the name, .apsx pages and some other funky file types When uploading contacts from an email list, we have to contact Adobe directly to get them to manually "verify" each contact so we can email them - we've already gotten permission from them and don't want to have to email them just to get there permission again to satisfy Adobe When editing a page, it sometimes loses its formatting after saving in the viewer - the changes are still there, it just doesn't display properly. This used to happen on every save and now happens intermittently,9,Has allowed us to develop websites about 25-50% faster when compared with WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Umbraco, Modx, Miva, etc. Has eliminated the need to manually updated the content management system, which is the main weakness of WordPress Has become our default web content management system, which has led to website development driving growth for our business in addition to our strategic marketing consulting and research services,,10Business Catalyst - The Right Solution for Certain ClientsBusiness Catalyst has been used as a CRM solution for a client. The client has an eCommerce aspect and a large database of current, former, and potential clients. A redesign of the client's site was needed, so BC was used in that aspect, too. The client needed a way to market to their uses, so Business Catalyst was ideal for that.,Managing the customer database Setting up drip email marketing campaigns A template-based design,Initial cost of the platform can be daunting Since the platform itself was in transition, we needed to edit various highly technical aspects to make sure the site didn't go down,9,Positive: Offering a solution to clients that need an in-depth eCommerce platform Positive: A deeper understanding of the power of CRM Negative: A new requirement to learn and support the platform,,7Adobe Business Catalyst - An all-in-one solution like nothing else out thereAdobe Business Catalyst is a hosted CMS that enables our company to scale our business. The platform has predefined functionality that allows us to create comprehensive web sites out of the box while still being able to extend the platform to deliver advanced web solutions. In order to best serve our clients we solely work on the Adobe Business Catalyst platform which allows us to become experts at what we do and provide a higher level of support to our clients.,Ability to rapidly build robust websites Hosted CMS and Software as a Service (Saas) model - updates and improvements are constantly being made. Don't have to worry about upgrading or managing servers Easy to use interface that allows our clients to make simple updates to their websites and manage their business online,eCommerce is in need of an overhaul to compete with other solutions out there Site performance is not as consistent as it should be especially when the platform is pushed to its limits,10,Better customer service Increased efficiency in deploying websites Customer satisfaction with the system,Drupal,WordPress,Joomla!,10A Review of the Adobe FamilyThe creative suite by Adobe is being utilized primarily by our design department. We use a variety of Adobe programs, but mostly Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere, and Media Encoder. Our inbound marketing agency handles everything from website designs to video production, so having the Adobe products to support our needs is necessary.,The Adobe programs are particularly strong by their continuity throughout the entire system. It is fairly simple to jump from one program to the next with ease, as long as you understand at least one program in depth. The Creative Cloud system does create a very convenient environment for keeping our programs up to date, and offering the ability to download whatever program we might now, rather than forcing us to download EVERY Adobe program. While there can be short comings with some things, for the most part Adobe has done a fantastic job of monitoring trends in the design world and responding to those trends with specific tools.,I have run into some Adobe CC shortcomings. Video, specifically, seems to lack options. I was recently required to download a third party system to translate my video into web-ideal formats, such as .ogg and .webm. These are fairly common as web-optimized videos. I was very disappointed that Adobe's fairly advanced video software was unable to export in these formats. In addition to the video software shortcomings, I am usually disappointed with the online help options. Adobe is an extremely expensive product, so I naturally expect to have help at my fingertips whenever I may need it. Unfortunately, I am often relying on public forums, where the only professionals that comment end up redirecting you half a dozen times to find the information you need. It would be positively lovely to have 'chat' capabilities with professionals associated with specific programs. There are some tools that I think could be simplified in some of the programs. A specific example would be InDesign's color swatches and pantone controls. It took quite a while to figure out how to create a 2-color printing safe document, and it is needlessly difficult to accomplish.,9,Well you can't really beat consistency throughout an entire family of programs. Adobe in pretty much uncontested in this arena. If you are a designer, you will need these programs at some point. It is a depressing fact, but Adobe has the absolute monopoly in the business. If it is any consolation, they make excellent programs.,8
Adobe Business Catalyst (Discontinued)

Adobe Business Catalyst (Discontinued) Reviews

Adobe Business Catalyst (Discontinued)
Showing 10 of 60 Adobe Business Catalyst (Discontinued) ratings and reviews.

Dan Butler profile photo
February 25, 2016

Adobe Business Catalyst (Discontinued) Review: "Business Catalyst: The Chemistry Between Designer and Client"

Likelihood to Renew

The simplicity of this platform is the main reason. BC is incredibly easy for first time users and very streamlined for experienced users. I also look at the integration with other Adobe products in my company. Being able to stay completely in one piece of software (Muse or Dreamweaver) for a full design and publish make much better use of my time.
Read Dan Butler's full review
Pauline Kraus profile photo
July 08, 2015

Adobe Business Catalyst (Discontinued) Review: "One Login to Rule Them All"

Likelihood to Renew

Actually with Business Catalyst there is no renewal; once you are a partner, you are a partner for as long as you like. It is an investment in your business not simply a product you purchase...and as an investment in partnership with Adobe, both are committed to each other's success.
Read Pauline Kraus's full review
Victor Campos profile photo
November 26, 2014

Adobe Business Catalyst (Discontinued) Review: "Business Catalyst - The Right Solution for Certain Clients"

Likelihood to Renew

For the types of clients that need all the features Business Catalyst offers, I would not hesitate to renew our use of it. Those types of clients, however, are few and far between. The tech support Adobe offers for Business Catalyst could range from Quite Good to Adequate; it depended on the support personnel.
Read Victor Campos's full review
Scott Shefler profile photo
April 19, 2014

Adobe Business Catalyst (Discontinued) Review: "Adobe Business Catalyst - An all-in-one solution like nothing else out there"

Likelihood to Renew

We don't think twice about working with Business Catalyst. This all-in-one platform allows us to efficiently run our web agency by deploying powerful web solutions to our clients that they can maintain and manage themselves. We spend less time developing and supporting our clients which allows us to focus on their business goals and marketing initiatives to help grow their business.
Read Scott Shefler's full review

WYSIWYG email editor (13)
2.4
Dynamic content (15)
Ability to test dynamic content (11)
Landing pages (11)
A/B testing (5)
Mobile optimization (13)
Email deliverability (13)
List management (13)
3.0
Triggered drip sequences (8)
Lead nurturing (11)
1.7
Lead scoring and grading (8)
2.2
Data quality management (9)
1.4
Automated sales alerts and tasks (10)
1.7
Calendaring (10)
2.4
Event/webinar marketing (9)
2.3
Social sharing and campaigns (7)
Social profile integration (8)
Dashboards (15)
Standard reports (15)
Custom reports (12)
6.0
API (11)
Role-based workflow & approvals (14)
Customizability (13)
6.0
Integration with Salesforce.com (2)
5.5

About Adobe Business Catalyst (Discontinued)

Adobe Business Catalyst is an all-in-one cloud-hosted system for building and managing web content and on online store. It has a built-in CRM framework, sales, service, and marketing features including eCommerce and Email Marketing tools. It was acquired by Adobe in 2009, five years after the original developers founded a company. It is a content management solution at minimum, and typical web content management features are present --themes, SEO, an editing interface, document management--, but with the built-in CRM and eCommerce it is targeted at businesses looking to sell online.

The yearly pricing plan for Adobe Business Catalyst starts at $10.99 per month with the narrower webBasics+ pack, which includes content management features and site analytics, as well as a hosted email. The $16.99 per month web marketing pack brings the CRM into the fold, as well as targeted email marketing and the blog. The $34.99 webCommerce pack adds the eCommerce solution, and for $52.99 and $71.99, you can expand access from 3 users to 5 and 10 users, respectively. Paying biyearly takes %5 further off the cost, paying month to month adds 10% to these prices.

Adobe has released an end-of-life announcement for Business Catalyst which can be accessed here. New sites will no longer be available for purchase as of June 2018 and Adobe will stop hosting existing sites on Business Catalyst in March of 2021.

Adobe Business Catalyst (Discontinued) Integrations