Smallpdf Reviews

Ahmed Anwar Nasr | TrustRadius Reviewer
Smallpdf was being considered for use as the main PDF signing/editing tool for one of our clients whose business was mostly revolving around legal PDF documents that needed to be signed. Smallpdf was one of the top contenders for being selected by our client, but they finally decided to go with the free version of Adobe Acrobat for pricing reasons.
  • Signing documents
  • Editing documents
  • Exporting to other formats like pptx and xlsx even!!
  • Migrating from doc/docx documents
  • Pricing, pricing, pricing. Nothing else.
Smallpdf is an excellent tool for users who are not tech-savvy and need to work with PDF documents multiple times daily. It is also perfect for users who don't usually work in front of a computer since it providers a very friendly mobile interface.
Read Ahmed Anwar Nasr's full review
April 29, 2021
Smallpdf is used by my organization as easy tool to manage PDFs in terms of size compression, pages erasing, file conversion, edit or merge of documents. When a person of the company needs to share externally PDF documents, it often happens that the files need to be compressed or edited and here we can find the value of using Smallpdf tool.
  • PDFs edit
  • PDF merge
  • PDF conversion to word file or ppt file
  • It doesn't support heavy PDF sizes
  • PDF to PPT sometimes changes the font type
  • It could be useful to have merge and edit features in one tool
I would suggest Smallpdf for simple needs in terms of PDFs management that can be [easily] resolved such as: size compression, deleting of pages and file conversions. This tool is very user-friendly and easy to use, it is available online so the user doesn't need to download any software. In case of heavy files compression, the tool isn't appropriate since it doesn't support heavy documents.
April 29, 2021
We have occasionally used Smallpdf for pdf merging, and other pdf manipulation. It is cheap and easy to use and you don't have to deal with the unethical big guys. One of the ways we use it is if we have multiple PDFs we need to send to a client and it will be more attractive to merge them all into one.
  • Merge PDFS
  • Edit PDFS
  • Convert PDFS
  • Bring all the tools together seamlessly
  • Interface could be upgraded
Smallpdf is great when you need basic PDF manipulation. It's easy to learn and doesn't require a lot of overhead. If you are doing advanced or high level work with PDF it may not serve you. And, since the cost is not prohibitive, all of your staff can have access to this tool unlike more expensive options.
April 28, 2021
Smallpdf is being used by our entire team in our organization mainly to convert and edit files with various formats from and to PDF, such as JPG, Word, Excel, and PPT, and this has been an amazing tool for our online file conversion needs.
  • User friendly
  • Quick document conversion
  • Great pricing options
  • Limited option for free trial.
  • Limitation to upload large files.
Smallpdf is very useful in terms of its easy access online at any time and anywhere. Furthermore, this app is great for collaboration and sharing PDF documents and files online. Due to its dependency on the internet, this app is not suitable for offline usage.
April 26, 2021
An essential tool for anyone who uses PDFs as part of their daily workflow. We rely on Smallpdf for compressing large PDFs into manageable sizes that are friendly for email and bandwidth-constrained mobile devices. The ability to import and export to/from multiple formats is one of the features that makes it most worth the money.
  • Import/export to multiple formats.
  • Compress large PDFs to manageable sizes.
  • Lightning fast speed.
  • Documentation is a bit hard to navigate.
  • Desktop client is sometimes buggy and requires restarts.
  • Chrome extension permissions are too broad.
For the time-savings alone, Smallpdf is worth the price. When you factor in how much time you would spend cobbling together the same features with other free/online tools, and how inconsistent the experience can be, having all of the features in one place with this tool makes it an easy choice to recommend.
September 09, 2020
Sushil Kharel | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using Smallpdf to edit, share, and convert various file types into a PDF and vice versa. Our customer support, sales & marketing, and operation departments use this software within our organization. This app has become an intuitive tool for us to create, edit, convert, and share any PDF files & documents online and is very accessible as it supports cross-platform.
  • This app is ideal for the conversion any files to PDF and vice versa.
  • Very convenient to share PDF files online using receiver's email address.
  • It also has a team plan for great collaboration and better productivity.
  • This app mostly relies on the internet for operation.
  • Since files are uploaded and shared online, security is always an issue.
  • This app is not accessible offline.
Smallpdf is very useful in terms of its versatility as it is easily accessible online at any time and anywhere. Furthermore, this app is great for collaboration and sharing PDF documents and files online. Due to its dependency on the internet, this app is not suitable for offline usage.
I gave this rating because it has become mostly a useful tool as it is accessible online, and any PDF-related tasks can be sorted out only through it. However, it is not available in offline mode.
Read Sushil Kharel's full review
May 20, 2020
Jason Morrell | TrustRadius Reviewer
The main features I use are compression and conversion. It's also good for batching, merging/splitting and editing. One particular flow I use often is PDF to JPG to PDF which provides a simple level of protection that stops people copying and pasting my text content.
  • Super-quick.
  • Intuitive and easy to use.
  • Great pricing for everything you get.
  • Conversion, compression, editing.
  • Available directly from the browser.
  • The way I use it, there are no downsides. Yes, it's web-based, but that's perfectly okay!
Smallpdf has every tool you'll need to work with or manipulate PDFs.
Everything is so simple and works so well, you shouldn't need support, but on the one occasion in several years that I needed it, support was quick and courteous.
Read Jason Morrell's full review
May 28, 2019
Bryant Peek | TrustRadius Reviewer
SmallPDF is being used by myself. I use it almost every day. It allows me to do a whole host of activities like converting and merging PDFs to my liking. It is a lot simpler and cheaper than trying to use Acrobat Pro.
  • Converts
  • Combines
  • Unlocks
  • Signature
  • I would like to see a stand-alone platform.
If you don't have the budget for Acrobat Pro, SmallPDF is able to fill those gaps with ease. Only takes a few seconds and bam, your PDF is just how you want it. The only downfall is that it is web-based. I would like to see a standalone version compared to logging into the website or using the Chrome Extension.
Read Bryant Peek's full review
September 18, 2019
We mostly use Smallpdf to collate text and images of different sources into standardized PDFs that we can use for e-filing with different court systems and administrative entities, as well for our internal filing system. We also occasionally use its PDF signing and PDF to Excel features when appropriate. Due to our size and the per-user licenses of SmallPDF we've found it more efficient to have 2 people in charge of most of PDF editing, with other employees forwarding the required files with instructions on what's needed.
  • It's PDF editing tool suite is extremely comprehensive.
  • Drag & Drop functionality and intuitive user interface means non-technical users can easily use most of its features.
  • It's online-first design avoids typical problems of depending on one specific computer for specific tasks.
  • It's online-first design means that working with big files will be slowed down due to network performance.
  • Its lackluster desktop software lacks many of the website functionalities and is prone to stability issues.
  • Smallpdf focuses on doing what it does very well and efficiently, but lacks many features standard to other PDF editors.
  • Chrome Extension seems useful but requiring read and write access to all websites is a security nightmare.
Well suited: organizations that work extensively with PDF files and need to quickly and efficiently create a "good enough" product with non-technical users.

Not appropriate: organizations that require extensive fine-tuning to their final product. In this case, they should spend more time and resources on more specialized tools and employee training.
Fortunately we haven't required help to use the product more than once or twice. Those times I've found their support staff to be very attentive and responsive.
September 20, 2019
Smallpdf is one of the most useful pieces of software in my organization. Everyone in my organization uses this software for their respective work. It helps us in converting our office documents from office extensions to PDF format and vice versa. These conversions help us in our project presentations.
  • It is very effective in compressing large PDF files into smaller size files which are easy to attach in an email.
  • With this tool, I protect my PDF files by encrypting them.
  • It is also helpful by allowing users to sign PDF files electronically.
  • No offline mode is available.
  • It doesn't have a mobile application. Sometimes I require it on my mobile device when I travel.
  • Sometimes it is very difficult to upload larger files for conversion.
The most important and useful feature of this software for me is its compression feature. I mostly use that function for compressing my large documents. By doing this I can easily attach them into my emails and send to my clients and colleagues. Its compression results are very good. Its e-sign tab is also one of the most useful features. Without taking any printouts of my documents I can sign them and use this electronically.
February 01, 2019
Manuel Aguilar | TrustRadius Reviewer
Smallpdf is being used across the whole organization, it is our go-to pdf reading software since it is extremely fast and runs smoothly. We also use it for pdf editing, especially for cropping and mixing complete files (a function mostly used by our HR department when working with our staff files and organizing resumes). We also use it to convert to and from pdf to other formats such as Excel or Word documents.
  • One of the best things that Smallpdf does is pdf conversion both to and from pdf. It is especially great to transform pdf tables into Excel documents.
  • PDF splitting is really great since allows for cropping large files and just keep the information necessary; something that comes really handy when presenting information to your supervisors.
  • PDF merging also works wonders, it allows for mixing several different pdf documents into just one of them. It is extremely easy to set up.
  • This a really fast pdf reader, it feels really fast compared to other options that tend to feel clunky. Its workspace is super comfortable and well organized so finding a tool you need is always a simple task.
  • I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this software, I think it works amazingly as it is, and has proven to be a great asset for our team.
I can't find any scenario where Smallpdf is not suited compared to other types of pdf software. It is hands down the best pdf software I have ever used. As I have mentioned this software shines for pdf reading since it works smoothly and it doesn't feel clunky as its competitors. It also works great for pdf conversion and mixing and splitting documents.
Read Manuel Aguilar's full review
April 22, 2019
Aura Munguia Cepeda | TrustRadius Reviewer
I discovered Smallpdf less than a year ago. One day I found myself with a problem after creating a test for my students since I did not know how to pass it to PDF to be sent by mail. My students could not modify it until my boyfriend arrived and he told me that with Smallpdf you could convert it and from there always I can change it. I've even shown other teachers how to use it when they need to pass PDF to Word files.
  • It is very fast, since for any file conversion it takes only a few seconds.
  • Everything is indicated, so it is not possible to make a mistake when choosing a function.
  • The conversion of files is very good, there are no collating errors, nor sizes, nor loss of any kind.
  • Maybe they could include a PDF to Epub converter that works, because the ones I've worked with so far have the problem of creating double jumps between paragraphs.
Smallpdf is quite appropriate for when you want to convert files to other formats in an easy and fast way, it even works very well when you want to number pages of PDF files (it has happened to me that I create a PDF file and I forget to number pages, so I do it with Smallpdf so that at the time of printing I do not confuse the order). In itself, it serves to be able to handle PDF files in an easy and comfortable way, since when passing them to other formats it is easier to extract images and information from those files.
Read Aura Munguia Cepeda's full review
April 11, 2019
Darren Megginson | TrustRadius Reviewer
Smallpdf is a handy platform that we use in our IT department to convert files like a Word document or PowerPoint presentation to a .pdf extension. We also recommend this tool for our faculty members and students because of its simplicity in converting and combining files together without the need of installing software.
  • Compressing files size to be easily uploaded on our online platform.
  • Converting any file extension to .pdf and vice versa.
  • Merging documents together.
  • Editing and protecting .pdf documents.
  • Improve the conversion from .pdf to Excel. Sometimes when we have a lot of tables in .pdf and convert them to a spreadsheet, the fonts and tables will be messed up.
  • Being worried about uploading documents with personal data for editing or conversion.
It is a very useful .pdf solution that is easily accessible online at any time and from any computer.
It might less convenient for uploading documents with sensitive data because you will never know if your documents could be accessible by anyone else.
Read Darren Megginson's full review
January 29, 2019
Robert Foreman | TrustRadius Reviewer
Smallpdf is a PDF editor. I use it the following ways: merge PDFs into one file, split PDFs into smaller files or compress large (memory) PDFs into smaller files. You can access Smallpdf through an extension in Chrome, which takes you to their website. As a real estate broker, it helps to combine multiple PDFs into one file, which helps make managing work and paper flow easier.
  • Merge documents into a single PDF
  • Edit PDFs
  • Compress PDFs into a smaller file
  • You can't convert all file types into PDFs.
  • They don't have an app.
  • You can't edit offline.
If you work in an industry with high paper or transaction volume, you'll love the ability to manage your workload better. Compressing files, editing files to eliminate unnecessary pages, reducing memory size and converting some file types into PDF are very helpful in managing transactions. It is very affordable, too.
Read Robert Foreman's full review
October 05, 2018
george wilson | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have been using Smallpdf for around two years, and we use it mainly in the management team since we frequently have to create PDF files with statistics, images, and graphics and the result is a file of many (MB). But with Smallpdf we can reduce the size and weight of the files in a considerable way and almost without losing quality in the image, which allows us to have greater convenience and speed when having to attach the files in the different emails.
  • It works very fast, either to create files, reduce size or to modify them in some way
  • You can reduce the weight of the files by leaving them very small and almost without losing quality in the file.
  • Its use in the free version is limited to a certain amount of daily use.
If you need to pass your Word file to PDF, or if you want to transform your PDF to some other type of file, Smallpdf is the right one for you, especially if you have little time, since usually, it works much faster than the other programs of the same kind. It also has a great advantage, if your PDF file has many extra (MB) you can reduce your weight from the same page. And believe me that your work is excellent, leaving the files with half their weight and without any loss of quality.
Read george wilson's full review
September 07, 2018
john ritchie | TrustRadius Reviewer
In my case, I know Smallpdf a long time ago. Usually I have to create pdf files, which are easy to elaborate, but usually my files contain many images, or they are made to attach photographs and vouchers of works and activities, so usually the pdf files created have a weight much higher than expected, making its management for intranet networks not the most appropriate. And this point was when I got to know Smallpdf, which was one of the best pdf compressors I could find on the net, and that, unlike other similar programs, does not distort the image or produce so much loss in the quality of the file.
  • Its file compression system is very good, it greatly reduces the weight of the files without producing a significant loss of quality.
  • The system is quite fast and as a rule its servers work quite well, and thanks to that in just a few seconds you can create, join, rotate, generate watermarks and other things.
  • From the same page you can create pdf files from other files. You can transform your files to other formats, as well as rotate, join or cut pdf files.
  • So far I have not found anything bad or anything important to improve.
Smallpdf works quite well whether you want to create new PDFs from a word, an excel or images, as well as if you want to pass your pdf files to other formats. You can adjust the page size without any problem, as well as the position and rotation of these. A particularly good and useful point for me has been its file comprehension system, which has allowed me to reduce many Mb files to make them more manageable and portable. Unfortunately to be able to use the different tools and options of this fantastic environment, you must be connected to a network, so if you do not have access to one you should wait to use all the power of Smallpdf.
Read john ritchie's full review
February 05, 2019
Every department in my organization uses this software. This software is very helpful for all kinds of PDF-related work. In my department I need to send office documents to my clients via email and this software helps me to convert my documents into other formats. It also helps me to compress my PDF files to reduce sizes so that I can easily share via email.
  • Its user interface is very easy. I feel very good to work on it.
  • It also offers browser extension. So I can convert my files from the browser itself.
  • Its encryption feature is one of my favourite features; it ensures the privacy of my documents.
  • They don't have a mobile app of this software.
  • It does not provide document scan features like other apps. Sometimes I need this feature very badly.
  • In PDF edition they have very basic tools only.
For the conversion of Office Package files this software is one of the best available in the market. I mostly use its PDF compression feature to reduce the size of my PDF files to send them easily over email. This software is well suited for protecting important files by a strong password. With this software users can lock their files with a password.
April 24, 2019
I use it for converting my business documents. For printing purposes I need PDF versions of my documents, so I use Smallpdf. In the sales department I use it and my colleagues in Marketing department also use it. Before Client meetings we use the print version of necessary documents so I use Smallpdf to convert my Excel sheets, Word files etc.
  • Its dashboard very simple and easy to understand.
  • It can convert almost all type of necessary documents.
  • Their privacy policies are very good. They don’t store users data on their servers.
  • They provide cloud facility also.
  • Its drag and drop interface complete my work in just one or two clicks.
  • Splitting PDF files gives best results in this software.
  • They should create a mobile app for this tool. It is very much required. Users can use their services on mobile phones also.
  • They should minimise ad space on their web page. Sometimes they are annoying.
  • Sometimes pdf compression doesn’t give required results. They should improve here.
  • It lacks on giving option of downloading a file when I merg two files and then convert it in other format and then try to compress it but because of the size of new edited file it can’t convert.
It doesn’t require log in to convert a file. And it is very beneficial and time saving. Till now I never found it less appropriate. It is very much useful with JPG files. I recently used this feature very much.
December 18, 2018
Every department in my organization uses this wonderful software. It helps our marketing department in creating beautiful design materials for email promotional campaigns by converting PDF files to image files. It helps my Sales department in the documentation process by helping them convert various Office documents. Converting Office files into PDF makes them easy to print while retaining the original text format of the file.
  • It is very effective and provides excellent results in merging two or more files into one PDF file.
  • It doesn't require system installation. I can use it via web browser.
  • It is one of the best software programs for converting Word, Excel, Powerpoint and JPEG files into PDF, and vice versa.
  • Fewer functions in PDF editor.
  • I am not sure about the privacy of uploaded files. There is no encryption related information on the website.
  • Conversion process gets slowed down when there are bigger files, even though the internet speed is high.
Whenever we need to convert content in JPEG format to PDF files, we use this software. We usually need those image files to design our email campaigns. And sometimes we need to create project e-brochures with the help of real images of the real estate projects, so we use this software to convert those images into PDF, files and then we merge those PDF files and create one e-brochure.
November 28, 2018
It is being used by my sales and marketing department. Marketing department uses it for creating marketing materials for real estate projects and I use it in sales department for documentation for my clients.
  • Its user interface makes it very easy to operate.
  • Its PDF compressor is very useful and very effective. It keeps the quality intact.
  • It can convert PDF files in variety of other file formats.
  • It converts PDF to all kind of Office files.
  • Instead of monthly plans they should have plans based on quantity of files.
  • Unavailability of mobile application of this software.
  • They should add more features in its editor to make documents more customised.
It is very well suited for converting word documents into PDF for printing purposes. By doing this users can keep the format of their word files intact during printing.

What is Smallpdf?

Smallpdf aims to be the first PDF software you will actually like.

The company's mission is to provide a fast, reliable and most of all simple experience for users in working with their documents.

Smallpdf boasts a comprehensive portfolio of 18 PDF tools in 24 languages, with a global user base of 100,000 companies and over 500 million individuals.

Smallpdf Features

• Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes
Smallpdf Basic$0.00
Smallpdf Pro$12.00per month
Smallpdf Pro$108.00per year

Discounts are available for bulk purchases

Smallpdf Support Options