Smallpdf

SmallPDF here to save the day!

April 28, 2022

Smallpdf does BIG things!

June 02, 2021

Reviewer Sentiment

Positive ()
Negative ()
Learn how we calculate reviewer sentiment

TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2019

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Smallpdf, and make your voice heard!

Smallpdf Basic

Smallpdf Pro

per month

Smallpdf Pro

per year

For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://smallpdf.com/pro

What is Smallpdf?

Made in Switzerland, Smallpdf is a company that offers a suite of document management tools for everyone-for work, for home, for life. Founded in Switzerland in 2013, Smallpdf provides what they describe as a simple, secure, and reliable answer to the world's PDF challenges. Smallpdf boasts serving over a billion users in 24 different languages since 2013, and in every country in the world.

Smallpdf Features

Smallpdf Technical Details

Deployment TypesOn-premise, SaaS
Operating SystemsWindows, Mac
Mobile ApplicationApple iOS, Android
Supported LanguagesEnglish, Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese, Korean, Italian, Indonesian, Polish, Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese, Simple Chinese, Arabic, Russian, German, French, Dutch, Turkish, Hebrew, Swedish

What is Smallpdf's best feature?

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 9.7.

Who uses Smallpdf?

The most common users of Smallpdf are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees) and the Computer Software industry.

Our business, and I personally, use SmallPDF on a daily basis. We use the compression feature primarily however have found a use for almost all of the other features it offers. We send applications that must be under a certain file size. Unfortunately, when we receive them, they are not always small enough to be updated for approval. Small PDF has certainly saved us and made compressing these files much easier.
  • Compressing Files
  • Merging files for those who do not have the appropriate software
  • Easily converting file types
  • Protecting files with passwords if you do not have the appropriate software
  • Where the start over button lives after a function is completed is a tad hidden to the user
Smallpdf really hits the mark on anything you might need it for. They are always coming out with new features and have been a lifesaver in multiple scenarios. Unlocking and securing PDFs are extremely helpful if you are trying to prevent the end-user from being able to make edits. Especially for invoices and signed documents.
April 27, 2022

Smallpdf is awesome!!

SmallPdf is an awesome tool that our whole entire team uses! It is super awesome and we use it all the time to merge pdfs, convert images to pdfs, compress pdfs, and more. Most of us within the organization use this tool.
  • Converting PDFs and images to PDFs
  • Compressing PDFs
  • Merging PDFs. or deleting pages from a PDF
  • The edit PDF tool could definitely use some work.
  • Esignature for PDF could be better.
  • Ads on the page can get annoying.
I would definitely recommend this tool if you work at all with PDFs. Most companies do so it is pretty useful for any company in order to make these edits to PDFs.
Smallpdf is a lightweight online PDF application equipped with all the basic functionalities of PDF solutions. Users can use the software without downloading and installing the software. Among the tasks you can perform on this platform are converting, merging, compressing, and splitting PDF files. Smallpdf does not have the robust capabilities of its desktop counterparts. This PDF tool is created with the users’ convenience in mind. Hence, it’s capable of doing all basic PDF-related jobs entirely online. The application’s free version is already a robust PDF tool capable of all the basic PDF functionalities that users would need. It also offers integration support with other applications such as Dropbox and Google Drive, which will provide more dynamic, seamless, and smooth PDF processes.
  • Esignature
  • Compress
  • Convert
  • Edit pdf
  • Editing pdf
  • Selection of big docs
  • Trial period
Pros: A ton of PDF toolsMulti-platform integrates Google Drive and Dropbox cloud services. Great pricing. Functionality relies on the internet. Struggles with complex documents.

Cons: Pretty limited in functionality compared to the desktop version. It's a bit costly if you want to convert or compress a batch or a group of docs. The pricing factor can determine a lot
A lot of times we have to work with PDFs and this is where Smallpdf comes into the picture. I have been using Smallpdf for a long time and all I can say is that it's a great tool. It has almost all the features that you will need when working with PDFs. Be it converting a Word/PPT document to PDF (or vice versa) or editing/signing the PDF, Smallpdf can take care of it all. It is packed with a lot of features and best of all, everything is online so I can use it from anywhere. It is fast, safe, and secure and it doesn't cost a fortune either.
  • Convert Word/PPT Documents to PDF
  • Edit PDF
  • Lock/Unlock a PDF
  • A feature to view and edit Metadata of a PDF would be nice to have.
When it comes to Editing a PDF, splitting a PDF, or converting Word/PPT/Excel to PDFs, Smallpdf becomes very useful. It also lets you unlock (remove password) from a PDF if you already know the password. This comes in handy a lot of times in my line of work.
Dr. ROOPESH RAO | TrustRadius Reviewer
Smallpdf is an excellent tool to convert your word file to pdf and pdf to word. It helps in compressing data, storing data, converting JPEGs into pdf, excel into pdf, etc. We are able to extract and manipulate data, store and retrieve data according to the need and wants. We are able to showcase data in the exact form and convert it, compress it, split them, merge them, etc.
  • Convert word to PDF
  • Convert Pdf to word
  • Compress file
  • Split files
  • Merge files
  • Converting pdf to word, some formatting is disturbed.
  • While merging files, file size becomes large.
  • While compressing files, picture quality gets disturbed.
  • Some data is lost while converting the files.
Smallpdf is best suited for converting large files and data into compressed files of Pdfs. Excel and word can be converted into proper files and used accordingly. It is less favorable for companies where documentation is less. Companies, where documentation is key, can use small Pdf as an excellent tool to store, retrieve, and manipulate data.
Smallpdf is the online PaaS (Platform as a service) tool that is used to convert multiple images into a single pdf, perform some edits on the PDF files, and convert multiple files formats into the PDF. If we check this around on the business side we use the Small pdf to covert the multiple pages into a single pdf, convert different file formats into pdf like HTML, JPEG, PNG, EXCEL, WORD, and many more. It gives us the ability to convert images into the pdf in just a click also SmallPDF provides the API service as well that we can use to integrate it on the other platforms.
  • Convert multiple images to single pdf.
  • Convert different file format to pdf.
  • Perform edits on the PDF online.
  • Easy to use and implement.
  • Can use the other services as well for the excel, ppt, doc and other formats.
  • Merging multiple pdfs into single one.
  • Use the tool on the fly.
  • SmallPDF should give the free trial access for the students to implement and play around it.
  • SmallPDF should not be only around PDF it should cover all the other fields as well.
  • Small pdf should work on building its brand value like this is a tool for all the important and handy tools to be used for multiple applications like pdf, excel, JPEG, PNG, ppt, word, and many more.
As per my knowledge and experience, Small PDF is well suited when we want to convert the large and bulk processing on the images to convert them into a single file and share. I found it well suited for college students because daily they scan multiple images and merge them to send as a single assignment file. Smallpdf has the future in the education field. Sometimes it is less appropriate for the people who want to share official documents by converting them into pdf without a watermark. I personally really like the Small PDF, it really helped reduce the difficulty of sending files, and photos to others.
Ankit Kumar | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have to unlock some pdfs and convert some word files to pdf. I need to give some security to my pdf documents. I convert my pdf into word or word to pdf. easy to use just upload. I don't use any other software or app.
  • Convert PDF to word. You can edit the pdf.
  • You can lock/unlock the pdf. You can secure your pdf with a password.
  • Whenever i need to merge or split the pdf use small pdf.
  • Whenever I have to compress the pdf size I just use a small pdf and it reduces the document size from MB to KB.
  • It has everything I'm not sure what I will say. E-sign, Share, convert. You can give an option in upload priorities features which I can see later.
  • Background remover thing also you can add in it. So I can remove the unnecessary thing from an image.
  • You can add a chatbot for help.
I'm a very frequent user for the last five years. I'm connected with Small PDF for more than five years.
1. Protect PDF is the best feature till now. I can protect my pdf with a password and share it on any platform.
2. e-Sign thing is also good. I can sign electronically and upload a png to stick on the document.
3. Compressing the size of a document is the best part.
Less Appropriate- The user can enter the size of a compressed document.

Tanya Nalli | TrustRadius Reviewer
[I] got the trial version to reduce some oversized documents.
  • It does reduce the documents in half.
  • It's quick.
  • [You] must upgrade if you want a larger reduction.
  • [It should] warn people if they used the trial version previously.
After communicating with them about my complaint, they remedied the situation and I am much happier now.
I am trying to convince everyone that Smallpdf is needed company-wide. Currently, I use it within my department and for one-off projects. It helps with condensing files, exporting single sign-off pages, and gets items in the correct format no matter how the client sends it over.
  • Condensing files.
  • Exporting single sign-off pages.
  • Gets items in the correct format no matter how the client sends it over.
  • When you download a condensed file it automatically renames it. There should be an option to name it yourself.
  • The website layout is not the most professional looking, but it is simple enough to use.
  • When reordering PDF pages, it can get a bit glitchy. I would prefer to have multiple options for moving pages: drag/drop, arrows, type in the page number you want it to be, etc.
When a client is requesting a single page from the SOW, but you don't have access to the original document, you don't always want to bug the bid writer. With Smallpdf you can export it yourself very easily.
Amr Saad | TrustRadius Reviewer
At the current moment Smallpdf is being used by my team only as we are giving it a trial run. The most useful aspect is the mobile app as it helps us share documents, edit, merge, and convert PDF documents. Also, you can use all the features on the go very easily through the mobile app.
  • Converting PDFs to different formats.
  • Easy to use over mobile phone.
  • Sharing documents.
  • Free Trial has very limited features.
  • Pricing.
Smallpdf can be used for sharing, editing, [and] converting small documents. It can be very helpful for teams to use on the fly by using the mobile app which facilitates the collaboration between different team members. Unfortunately, It won't be a good fit if you have very large documents as it can be a bit slow.
Smallpdf is used by my organization as easy tool to manage PDFs in terms of size compression, pages erasing, file conversion, edit or merge of documents. When a person of the company needs to share externally PDF documents, it often happens that the files need to be compressed or edited and here we can find the value of using Smallpdf tool.
  • PDFs edit
  • PDF merge
  • PDF conversion to word file or ppt file
  • It doesn't support heavy PDF sizes
  • PDF to PPT sometimes changes the font type
  • It could be useful to have merge and edit features in one tool
I would suggest Smallpdf for simple needs in terms of PDFs management that can be [easily] resolved such as: size compression, deleting of pages and file conversions. This tool is very user-friendly and easy to use, it is available online so the user doesn't need to download any software. In case of heavy files compression, the tool isn't appropriate since it doesn't support heavy documents.
We have occasionally used Smallpdf for pdf merging, and other pdf manipulation. It is cheap and easy to use and you don't have to deal with the unethical big guys. One of the ways we use it is if we have multiple PDFs we need to send to a client and it will be more attractive to merge them all into one.
  • Merge PDFS
  • Edit PDFS
  • Convert PDFS
  • Bring all the tools together seamlessly
  • Interface could be upgraded
Smallpdf is great when you need basic PDF manipulation. It's easy to learn and doesn't require a lot of overhead. If you are doing advanced or high level work with PDF it may not serve you. And, since the cost is not prohibitive, all of your staff can have access to this tool unlike more expensive options.
Smallpdf is being used by our entire team in our organization mainly to convert and edit files with various formats from and to PDF, such as JPG, Word, Excel, and PPT, and this has been an amazing tool for our online file conversion needs.
  • User friendly
  • Quick document conversion
  • Great pricing options
  • Limited option for free trial.
  • Limitation to upload large files.
Smallpdf is very useful in terms of its easy access online at any time and anywhere. Furthermore, this app is great for collaboration and sharing PDF documents and files online. Due to its dependency on the internet, this app is not suitable for offline usage.
An essential tool for anyone who uses PDFs as part of their daily workflow. We rely on Smallpdf for compressing large PDFs into manageable sizes that are friendly for email and bandwidth-constrained mobile devices. The ability to import and export to/from multiple formats is one of the features that makes it most worth the money.
  • Import/export to multiple formats.
  • Compress large PDFs to manageable sizes.
  • Lightning fast speed.
  • Documentation is a bit hard to navigate.
  • Desktop client is sometimes buggy and requires restarts.
  • Chrome extension permissions are too broad.
For the time-savings alone, Smallpdf is worth the price. When you factor in how much time you would spend cobbling together the same features with other free/online tools, and how inconsistent the experience can be, having all of the features in one place with this tool makes it an easy choice to recommend.
The main features I use are compression and conversion. It's also good for batching, merging/splitting and editing. One particular flow I use often is PDF to JPG to PDF which provides a simple level of protection that stops people copying and pasting my text content.
  • Super-quick.
  • Intuitive and easy to use.
  • Great pricing for everything you get.
  • Conversion, compression, editing.
  • Available directly from the browser.
  • The way I use it, there are no downsides. Yes, it's web-based, but that's perfectly okay!
Smallpdf has every tool you'll need to work with or manipulate PDFs.
Everything is so simple and works so well, you shouldn't need support, but on the one occasion in several years that I needed it, support was quick and courteous.
Smallpdf is one of the most useful pieces of software in my organization. Everyone in my organization uses this software for their respective work. It helps us in converting our office documents from office extensions to PDF format and vice versa. These conversions help us in our project presentations.
  • It is very effective in compressing large PDF files into smaller size files which are easy to attach in an email.
  • With this tool, I protect my PDF files by encrypting them.
  • It is also helpful by allowing users to sign PDF files electronically.
  • No offline mode is available.
  • It doesn't have a mobile application. Sometimes I require it on my mobile device when I travel.
  • Sometimes it is very difficult to upload larger files for conversion.
The most important and useful feature of this software for me is its compression feature. I mostly use that function for compressing my large documents. By doing this I can easily attach them into my emails and send to my clients and colleagues. Its compression results are very good. Its e-sign tab is also one of the most useful features. Without taking any printouts of my documents I can sign them and use this electronically.
We mostly use Smallpdf to collate text and images of different sources into standardized PDFs that we can use for e-filing with different court systems and administrative entities, as well for our internal filing system. We also occasionally use its PDF signing and PDF to Excel features when appropriate. Due to our size and the per-user licenses of SmallPDF we've found it more efficient to have 2 people in charge of most of PDF editing, with other employees forwarding the required files with instructions on what's needed.
  • It's PDF editing tool suite is extremely comprehensive.
  • Drag & Drop functionality and intuitive user interface means non-technical users can easily use most of its features.
  • It's online-first design avoids typical problems of depending on one specific computer for specific tasks.
  • It's online-first design means that working with big files will be slowed down due to network performance.
  • Its lackluster desktop software lacks many of the website functionalities and is prone to stability issues.
  • Smallpdf focuses on doing what it does very well and efficiently, but lacks many features standard to other PDF editors.
  • Chrome Extension seems useful but requiring read and write access to all websites is a security nightmare.
Well suited: organizations that work extensively with PDF files and need to quickly and efficiently create a "good enough" product with non-technical users.

Not appropriate: organizations that require extensive fine-tuning to their final product. In this case, they should spend more time and resources on more specialized tools and employee training.
Fortunately we haven't required help to use the product more than once or twice. Those times I've found their support staff to be very attentive and responsive.
Bryant Peek | TrustRadius Reviewer
SmallPDF is being used by myself. I use it almost every day. It allows me to do a whole host of activities like converting and merging PDFs to my liking. It is a lot simpler and cheaper than trying to use Acrobat Pro.
  • Converts
  • Combines
  • Unlocks
  • Signature
  • I would like to see a stand-alone platform.
If you don't have the budget for Acrobat Pro, SmallPDF is able to fill those gaps with ease. Only takes a few seconds and bam, your PDF is just how you want it. The only downfall is that it is web-based. I would like to see a standalone version compared to logging into the website or using the Chrome Extension.
I use it for converting my business documents. For printing purposes I need PDF versions of my documents, so I use Smallpdf. In the sales department I use it and my colleagues in Marketing department also use it. Before Client meetings we use the print version of necessary documents so I use Smallpdf to convert my Excel sheets, Word files etc.
  • Its dashboard very simple and easy to understand.
  • It can convert almost all type of necessary documents.
  • Their privacy policies are very good. They don’t store users data on their servers.
  • They provide cloud facility also.
  • Its drag and drop interface complete my work in just one or two clicks.
  • Splitting PDF files gives best results in this software.
  • They should create a mobile app for this tool. It is very much required. Users can use their services on mobile phones also.
  • They should minimise ad space on their web page. Sometimes they are annoying.
  • Sometimes pdf compression doesn’t give required results. They should improve here.
  • It lacks on giving option of downloading a file when I merg two files and then convert it in other format and then try to compress it but because of the size of new edited file it can’t convert.
It doesn’t require log in to convert a file. And it is very beneficial and time saving. Till now I never found it less appropriate. It is very much useful with JPG files. I recently used this feature very much.
April 22, 2019

Fast and effective

I discovered Smallpdf less than a year ago. One day I found myself with a problem after creating a test for my students since I did not know how to pass it to PDF to be sent by mail. My students could not modify it until my boyfriend arrived and he told me that with Smallpdf you could convert it and from there always I can change it. I've even shown other teachers how to use it when they need to pass PDF to Word files.
  • It is very fast, since for any file conversion it takes only a few seconds.
  • Everything is indicated, so it is not possible to make a mistake when choosing a function.
  • The conversion of files is very good, there are no collating errors, nor sizes, nor loss of any kind.
  • Maybe they could include a PDF to Epub converter that works, because the ones I've worked with so far have the problem of creating double jumps between paragraphs.
Smallpdf is quite appropriate for when you want to convert files to other formats in an easy and fast way, it even works very well when you want to number pages of PDF files (it has happened to me that I create a PDF file and I forget to number pages, so I do it with Smallpdf so that at the time of printing I do not confuse the order). In itself, it serves to be able to handle PDF files in an easy and comfortable way, since when passing them to other formats it is easier to extract images and information from those files.
Smallpdf is a handy platform that we use in our IT department to convert files like a Word document or PowerPoint presentation to a .pdf extension. We also recommend this tool for our faculty members and students because of its simplicity in converting and combining files together without the need of installing software.
  • Compressing files size to be easily uploaded on our online platform.
  • Converting any file extension to .pdf and vice versa.
  • Merging documents together.
  • Editing and protecting .pdf documents.
  • Improve the conversion from .pdf to Excel. Sometimes when we have a lot of tables in .pdf and convert them to a spreadsheet, the fonts and tables will be messed up.
  • Being worried about uploading documents with personal data for editing or conversion.
It is a very useful .pdf solution that is easily accessible online at any time and from any computer.
It might less convenient for uploading documents with sensitive data because you will never know if your documents could be accessible by anyone else.
February 06, 2019

PDF manager for everyone

Every department in my organization uses this software. This software is very helpful for all kinds of PDF-related work. In my department I need to send office documents to my clients via email and this software helps me to convert my documents into other formats. It also helps me to compress my PDF files to reduce sizes so that I can easily share via email.
  • Its user interface is very easy. I feel very good to work on it.
  • It also offers browser extension. So I can convert my files from the browser itself.
  • Its encryption feature is one of my favourite features; it ensures the privacy of my documents.
  • They don't have a mobile app of this software.
  • It does not provide document scan features like other apps. Sometimes I need this feature very badly.
  • In PDF edition they have very basic tools only.
For the conversion of Office Package files this software is one of the best available in the market. I mostly use its PDF compression feature to reduce the size of my PDF files to send them easily over email. This software is well suited for protecting important files by a strong password. With this software users can lock their files with a password.
Manuel Aguilar | TrustRadius Reviewer
Smallpdf is being used across the whole organization, it is our go-to pdf reading software since it is extremely fast and runs smoothly. We also use it for pdf editing, especially for cropping and mixing complete files (a function mostly used by our HR department when working with our staff files and organizing resumes). We also use it to convert to and from pdf to other formats such as Excel or Word documents.
  • One of the best things that Smallpdf does is pdf conversion both to and from pdf. It is especially great to transform pdf tables into Excel documents.
  • PDF splitting is really great since allows for cropping large files and just keep the information necessary; something that comes really handy when presenting information to your supervisors.
  • PDF merging also works wonders, it allows for mixing several different pdf documents into just one of them. It is extremely easy to set up.
  • This a really fast pdf reader, it feels really fast compared to other options that tend to feel clunky. Its workspace is super comfortable and well organized so finding a tool you need is always a simple task.
  • I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this software, I think it works amazingly as it is, and has proven to be a great asset for our team.
I can't find any scenario where Smallpdf is not suited compared to other types of pdf software. It is hands down the best pdf software I have ever used. As I have mentioned this software shines for pdf reading since it works smoothly and it doesn't feel clunky as its competitors. It also works great for pdf conversion and mixing and splitting documents.
Robert Foreman | TrustRadius Reviewer
Smallpdf is a PDF editor. I use it the following ways: merge PDFs into one file, split PDFs into smaller files or compress large (memory) PDFs into smaller files. You can access Smallpdf through an extension in Chrome, which takes you to their website. As a real estate broker, it helps to combine multiple PDFs into one file, which helps make managing work and paper flow easier.
  • Merge documents into a single PDF
  • Edit PDFs
  • Compress PDFs into a smaller file
  • You can't convert all file types into PDFs.
  • They don't have an app.
  • You can't edit offline.
If you work in an industry with high paper or transaction volume, you'll love the ability to manage your workload better. Compressing files, editing files to eliminate unnecessary pages, reducing memory size and converting some file types into PDF are very helpful in managing transactions. It is very affordable, too.
Every department in my organization uses this wonderful software. It helps our marketing department in creating beautiful design materials for email promotional campaigns by converting PDF files to image files. It helps my Sales department in the documentation process by helping them convert various Office documents. Converting Office files into PDF makes them easy to print while retaining the original text format of the file.
  • It is very effective and provides excellent results in merging two or more files into one PDF file.
  • It doesn't require system installation. I can use it via web browser.
  • It is one of the best software programs for converting Word, Excel, Powerpoint and JPEG files into PDF, and vice versa.
  • Fewer functions in PDF editor.
  • I am not sure about the privacy of uploaded files. There is no encryption related information on the website.
  • Conversion process gets slowed down when there are bigger files, even though the internet speed is high.
Whenever we need to convert content in JPEG format to PDF files, we use this software. We usually need those image files to design our email campaigns. And sometimes we need to create project e-brochures with the help of real images of the real estate projects, so we use this software to convert those images into PDF, files and then we merge those PDF files and create one e-brochure.