New to APS
- Payroll, Time/Attendance, HR
Overall Satisfaction with APS
- APS OnLine is a great end user product and very easy for our employees. They have quick access to all their information, their accrual balances, hours worked, etc. They are able to enter their time off requests in the system. Although our prior system had these capabilities, employees had difficulty accessing system. If they couldn't get in, they couldn't use it. More employees logged on to APS in the first two weeks of use than in the prior three years with former system.
- Integration - Data is real-time. When you enter information in one area of the software, it is immediately present in the rest of the system. No waiting for overnight interface. Change log provides backup for any changes that have been made as well as safeguards in the approval process.
- Administrative ease - The system is very straight forward, logical, and easy to operate from the administrative end. [There is a] designated representative to address questions as they arise. No sitting on hold.
- Reporting - We have six different business units and the reporting is separate for all three. Most reporting I do requires information from all business units so am running six reports and then copying and pasting to get the report I need.
- Multi-state taxes - We have a number of employees who live in New York and work in New Jersey. APS OnLine is designed to accommodate one state withholding so ability to have "worked in" state and "lived in" state taxes withheld went away. This was a shortfall.
- The Carrier connection setup took much longer than expected. After a year, we are still having some issues with some items transferring over to the GL.
- The CA overtime calculation does not calculate after 8 hours per day, only on the 40 per week so we override each week.
- Reporting - when running Benefit reports, it recognizes employees who formerly carried the plan but may have dropped it. To get around this, we have to delete off the employee's record so the history is not readily available.
- We are still in the early stages of APS Online use, so a number of the platforms we have not had the opportunity to put in play.
- Customer service is a big plus. As we have transitioned, whenever there has been a question or a tweak that we require, APS is quick to respond and address my concerns.
- Overall, annual cost of running payroll is comparable to our prior system and others I reviewed. However, we eliminated one full-time position and additional savings in manpower due to reduced data entry. We no longer have to download our weekly reports. They are maintained and not overwritten by new reports each run. The savings and continuity of information all in one place will benefit all of our employees.
- Provides daily stats to give quick insight to managers on various facets of the business that they did not have before with having to run a specific report.
- ADP Workforce Now and ADP eTime
APS Feature Ratings
All hourly employees use APS Online for clocking in/out on a daily basis through various channels: in/out at pc, in/out on mobile solution, in/out at stationary time clock, or electronic time sheet. All methods are approved through their supervisor prior to going to payroll.
All employees submit their Time Off Requests online. All employees are able to view their checks online and we're increasing the number who have direct deposit as well as paperless vouchers.
Finance - we are still in process of creating the interface to go directly into our finance software which will be a huge plus.
- Ease of use/employee engagement
- Reduction of labor
- Reduction of paper
Evaluating APS and Competitors
We replaced ADP Workforce Now, Payroll, and Enterprise Time & Attendance.
Primary reason for looking for alternative was that we lost our Payroll Manager and were looking for a software that was simpler to use and reduce the labor being spent on data entry. Our employees had difficulty logging into ADP making the system ineffectual. Once I was the one calling into Customer Service and sat on hold for an extended period of time, the dedicated representative became a huge factor.
- Product Usability
- Positive Sales Experience with the Vendor
- Analyst Reports
First was the loading of general information and payroll comparisons to insure items were flowing and calculating through.
[Next was] loading of accruals and calculation methods.
Next was loading of history which did cause a few issues as some employees had hit the max for social security and state unemployment tax deductions resulting in some errors.
[Next was] carrier connections and benefit programs. Our 401k provider was quite unhappy that this connection was not done prior to conversion.
- Dual state taxation and employees who had reached the maximum for some deductions were impacted. This is still being worked on.
- 401k and other benefit connections. I did not anticipate I would be manually updating enrollments for 3 months.
- Accrual balances. For some reason, the accrual calculation did not activate appropriately so had to recalculate and reset employees numerous times.
Problems get solved
Kept well informed
No escalation required
Immediate help available
Support understands my problem
Support cares about my success
Quick Initial Response
Like to use
Easy to use
Technical support not required
Quick to learn
Feel confident using
- Entering data
- Processing payroll
- Employee access
- Time off Request process
- Management approval setup
- The need to pull reports from each business entity and then combining [them] on a spreadsheet to get all information in one format.
- Dual state taxation.
- Paid Time Off usage. Employees need to put in Time Off Requests 2 days in advance and many employees take a few hours off at end of day, so has to be entered by admin.
- California payroll processing. System isn't calculating overtime at 8 hours daily as law requires, so this is currently a manual process. We also have a couple of employees whose overtime rate doesn't calculate and carry over correctly, so we must override prior to processing each week.