I personally used Edmodo in my classroom as an alternative to the Blackboard Learning Management System. I was initially drawn to its simplistic, "Facebook-esque" interface, and its ability to send notifications to students on upcoming assignments. I found it easier for the students to access and quicker for them to master than Blackboard.
- Simplistic, easy to access interface. Students relate to Facebook like format.
- Google Drive Integration
- Fantastic Professional Learning Communities and programming. The Polar Bear expedition program a few years ago is a prime example.
- I've found that other learning management systems to have richer student discussion options.
- Mobile app was not as versatile competitors.
- Edmodo and programs like it help my students stay on top of their work and allow for the learning process to continue outside of the daily allotted 57 minutes of instruction.
Edmodo is a fantastic tool and I highly recommend it to any teacher. Personally, I have switched over to Schoology for this school year. If you are primarily going to be using a online learning management system for quick notifications and reminders Edmodo will be well suited for the task. If you plan on fully uploading a course onto a LMS than personally I find the behind the scenes infrastructure of a site like Schoology to be better adapted to the fluidity workflow, assessment creation flexibility, and student discussion options that are needed.