A Bombshell Security Suite
April 28, 2021
A Bombshell Security Suite
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Palo Alto Networks Threat Protection
We use the Palo Alto NTP suite of products at an organizational level, with the vast majority of our network edge traffic to the internet coming under the scrutiny of the various NTP profiles. It is great because we are able to see very clearly what is being impacted and can tailor the profiles to our policies as needed or completely remove them even without impacting the underlying firewall policy. At a management level, it makes for easy/fast firewall adjustments without sacrificing any of the protection that we need. Adding exceptions are a breeze and the firewalls get their updates on a regular basis without admin intervention.
- Palo Alto NTP allows for a very, very granular approach to protection by the use of profiles. You can tailor as many profiles as you need say for URL Filtering or Malware scanning to accommodate different business needs. Once your profiles are all setup you can choose them to attach to your firewall policies on a policy-by-policy basis. It really couldn't be simpler.
- Very easy to monitor the activity of the profiles in the Monitoring Pane, which makes for agile adjustments or exceptions to be made.
- Some of the deeper features, like making exceptions for virus false-positives can be a little tricky, but I think that is just the nature of the beast. Maybe some guides/tutorials from Palo Alto would help navigate some of that more successfully. Fortunately, we haven't had many of those!
- Ease to implementation and agile management
- Behind the scenes, automatic updating of all NTP databases, some even on an hourly basis
- Great cost-to-value ratio
- We have various compliance standards we have to meet and the Palo Alto with its Networks Threat Protection suite has checked off pretty much all the boxes we needed and at a price point that couldn't be easily beat for comparable features, throughput, etc.
- IT/Network staff has saved a A LOT of time using this platform for protection (coming from an ASA)
Do you think Palo Alto Networks Threat Protection delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Palo Alto Networks Threat Protection's feature set?
Did Palo Alto Networks Threat Protection live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of Palo Alto Networks Threat Protection go as expected?
Would you buy Palo Alto Networks Threat Protection again?
Palo Alto NTP is an appropriate suite of protection for any enterprise environment or anyone that truly needs some serious perimeter protection in a one-stop, all-in-one unit. There are no modules or add-ons or clunky interfaces to deal with it; everything works out of one management plane, licensing, implementation, monitoring. updating, etc. As a network admin, that is immensely valuable to me. Additionally, I get real-time reporting on all the stuff NTP is catching, and it is nothing to shirk at. The real value in NTP comes in only after you begin doing SSL-decryption, however, to truly inspect the traffic. Short of that, you are just seeing a bunch of encrypted data and the NTP suite of tools isn't going to avail you. NTP plus decryption, though, is invaluable!