Planview - a great product and great partner
- Portfolio and Resource Management (formerly Planview Enterprise)
Overall Satisfaction with Planview Enterprise
- Reporting - It allows users of differing levels of product/data understanding different ways to get to the data they need using tools including tiles and reports in the app, a portal for more standard reports, and an excel add-in for more technical users. And, of course, the capability of querying the database
- As a cloud application, our downtime has been negligible. It's great having a company managing the application so we don't have to worry about patching and downtimes and the like. They do a great job as a partner of ours in keeping the product accessible and stable.
- The all in one package for Project Management is one of the best parts of Planview. We capture all manner of reportable project information in Planview and use it in our project, team, and executive level reporting.
- Being a flexible tool for adding fields and customizing screens within a SaaS solution was one of the primary reasons for product selection as well as one of the reasons for on-going product adoption, satisfaction, and expanding usage.
- The people at Planview are a core strength. When I have a question or an issue, they are always helpful. They have a can do attitude and regularly are willing to go (and often do go) the extra mile.
- As a SaaS product, they suffer from the same fate as other SaaS products of having sluggishness from time to time. Some of our facilities seem to have better response time than others. We haven't really identified this as a Planview specific issue, but it's definitely an issue.
- Once we had a more dedicated go to person at Planview to solve simple/mid level types of problems, our satisfaction increased dramatically. Their help desk is effective, but, as with many help desks, sometimes response times on non-critical issues can be slower than we'd like and getting simple questions answered can be difficult. That said, their response time on critical issues (there haven't been many) has been excellent.
- Get a good understanding of how much support internal and external you'll need. Getting up to speed on the tool at the very beginning was a bit of a struggle for us as we were hesitant to burn through our consulting hours. Ultimately on hindsight that was probably a mistake by us as we ultimately went through more pain than we had to. That said, having a bit more included support and hand holding on initial go-live would've been beneficial.
- It's not free :)
- Consolidation of our time reporting actuals with our planned hours to provide us with a clearer picture of project variances.
- Robust reporting options for all our users.
- Significantly decreased project management time previously required for tracking and reporting project status.
As with any tool, the success of it will be dependent upon the attitudes and desires of senior management to use the tool. Without executive buy in, the success of the implementation would have failed for us. Ultimately, I see our relationship with Planview as a long term relationship where there will be ups and downs, but in the long run the vision of where there are going is aligning with where we want to go.
Regarding specific scenarios, from a functionality standpoint, Planview Enterprise is well suited for both large and small organizations, as well as organizations that have resources overseas. Having worked in multiple industries, Planview Enterprise would be a strong addition to any organization trying to build or strengthen their PMO or just their project management processes and project tracking in general, regardless of industry.