Map is a great listening tool with a few expected caveats
https://www.trustradius.com/social-media-monitoringSysomos MAPUnspecified7.942101
Sara Robertson profile photo
November 14, 2014

Map is a great listening tool with a few expected caveats

Score 6 out of 101

Overall Satisfaction with Sysomos MAP

It is primarily used by the firm marketing team for brand research. We also use it on a limited basis for client research. On the client side, we use it most frequently for share of voice research. That means when we are doing a RFP or something, we'll show a client how they stand in their competitive environment. Most clients at this phase aren't doing any social efforts (or poor ones), so the results can be quite startling.
  • It's good for major brands and research (especially consumer facing)
  • It's good for establishing share of voice
  • It's good for identifying trends over time - focusing in on what caused conversations spikes.
  • Their influencer/klout score algorithm is worthless - it caps out at 10 so the New York Times and Jo Schmo gamer dude and Justin Bieber all have the same score.
  • The Boolean builder can be frustrating, it will tell you there is an error, but gives you no indication of where. In a complex string it can take forever to figure out what you messed up.
  • Twitter listening only goes back one year. If you ever need to compare something year over year, without anticipating the need in advance and downloading reports, you're screwed.
  • No proven ROI at this point, but clients have liked the information provided from share of voice.
  • It has cut time in identifying massive trends, spikes and potential hashtags for campaigns from a manual process to a much quicker/shorter one.
Map is much much better and friendlier to use than Radian6. With Radian6, I remember I had to filter through an absurd amount of noise, garbage and results to get to anything interesting. Granted I used the tool about 4 years ago, so it might have improved. When I first encountered Map I was skeptical because of a worthless experience with Radian6, but then once I got into the demo, I was much more impressed by the ease of the user interface and the customer service.
Marketing mananagers and specialists, and consulting teams. We send the reports to marketing directors. Then at the consulting level, the client research goes to partners and principals.
They are best at measuring Twitter, and most useful in that arena. That's understandable given that Twitter is largely the only social network that people don't maintain privacy settings on. That said, they only go back 1 year in Twitter, so that's a major caveat for long running campaigns. It's tricky to filter out noise, and the Boolean can get complex, but I imagine this is similar in other systems. The language read is great, but as expected, it's best with English.
The dashboard is probably the most elegant aspect of the platform. The quick reads in the word clouds and overall preview dashboard are helpful. The search tools are quick to use (especially for simple inquiries). The visualization overall is pretty elegant - I really like the trend feature where you can zoom in your queries over a period of time and refine your search.
This question I don't feel really applies to map. There aren't really assignment tools from within the Map system - or workflow. Perhaps this applies more to their other tools like HeartBeat.
Sysomos is not very helpful for brands that don't have a high number of mentions and aren't consumer facing. We're a B2B firm, so our traction on social is pretty minor. If you are in a bigger arena with a lot of major mentions and campaigns to analyze, this tool would be a lot more useful.