Email Encryption Software
These products won a Top Rated award for having excellent customer satisfaction ratings. The list is based purely on reviews; there is no paid placement, and analyst opinions do not influence the rankings. Read more about the Top Rated criteria.
Email Encryption Software TrustMap
TrustMaps are two-dimensional charts that compare products based on trScore and research frequency by prospective buyers. Products must have 10 or more ratings to appear on this TrustMap.
Zix Email Encryption (formerly ZixEncrypt) provides automatic email encryption and data loss prevention solution. Zix scans the content of outbound email and automatically encrypts or takes action based on user-defined policies, for any email environment to secure any mailbox beyond…
Proofpoint Email Protection is available as an on-premise or cloud based solution and blocks unwanted, malicious and impostor emails with granular search capabilities and visibility into all messages. Outbound controls include encryption and data loss prevention, while continuity…
Microsoft Exchange is a secure email / messaging gateway with file archiving and encryption / data loss capability, available as a hosted service (Exchange Online) or installed (Exchange Server).
Twilio SendGrid Marketing Campaigns provides users with segmentation, campaign editing, and deliverability. According to the vendor, Twilio SendGrid Marketing Campaigns is trusted by over 80,000 customers globally, including Airbnb, Spotify and Uber. Twilio SendGrid Marketing Campaigns…
With organizations facing new and unprecedented challenges, the need for a secure modern workplace has never been greater. As companies seek to achieve more with less and keep their increasingly remote workforces productive, they also face an array of evolving security and compliance…
Barracuda Essentials is an email security platform designed to protect users and businesses from volumetric threats like malware and spam, as well advanced threats like targeted spear phishing and ransomware, and provides email archiving and data protection from corruption and deletion…
SpamTitan blocks unsolicited emails, phishing attempts, spoofing and illicit content. According to the vendor, SpamTitan blocks over 99.9% of spam, viruses, malware, and other email threats.Hundreds of advanced tests scan email separating unwanted email and security threats from…
RMail is RPost’s software-as-a-service solution that enables business users to track and prove email delivery and encrypt sensitive emails. Available as a MS Outlook add-in and for other popular software platforms, RMail works with any email address without any customization required.…
Avast Email Security is a service available and delivered through the company's CloudCare security management console. Three features of Avast Email Security service allow employees and customers to manage their email more safely: Anti-spam to keep email boxes free of unwanted email,…
Trustifi is a cyber security firm featuring solutions delivered on software as a service platform. Trustifi email security products provide both inbound and outbound email security from a single vendor.Trustifi states their key objective is keeping client’s data, reputation, and…
Tresorit offers end-to-end encrypted file sync & sharing. The vendor promises an ultra-secure place in the cloud to store, sync and share files easily from anywhere, anytime. The vendor says Tresorit is powered by end-to-end encryption and enhanced with a flexible permission…
What is Email Encryption Software?
Email Encryption Software disguises content within email messages so that they cannot be read by anyone apart from the intended recipient. Emails are typically encrypted and then decrypted by means of a digital signature mechanism that uses public and private keys. The public key is shared with everyone while the private key is kept private.
There is a range of related security features that frequently accompany email encryption software. For instance, many vendors pair encryption with Data Loss Protection or package it within a broader secure email gateway. Other providers offer an all-in-one email hosting and managed security service, allowing companies to outsource the entire email management process.
Email encryption and compliance
Email encryption software is increasingly deployed to maintain regulatory compliance. Email encryption has become a necessary tool for ensuring that companies don’t violate a growing list of regulations around sensitive information and data protection rules. For instance, medical regulations like HIPAA have made email encryption standard practice in that field when working with sensitive patient information. Broader regulations like GDPR also incentivize extra caution among enterprises and smaller organizations alike.
Some email encryption software is tailored to serving these regulatory needs. Some vendors may offer their secure email solutions to at-risk organizations like healthcare providers, while others may offer additional support around compliance reporting and auditing.
Email Encryption Software Features & Capabilities
All email encryption software includes the ability to secure email communications between the sender and receiver. The extended capabilities that each product has beyond the core function will vary more, but will frequently include:
- Support for internal and external users
- Integration with existing email infrastructure
- Continually improving cryptography
- File security
- Mobile device support
- Policy and identity-based encryption
Encryption also usually includes authentication where the user is obliged to prove his or her identity by using a username and password combination in order to get access. More recently biometrics (fingerprints or eye retina recognition) is used instead of username and password, making it more difficult for hackers to break into computer systems.
Email Encryption Solutions Comparison
To compare different email encryption solutions, consider these factors:
- Point solution vs. security suite: Some products offer more specific data transmission-focused security, such as encryption and DLP. Other vendors package a much broader set of features, from secure email gateways to end-to-end hosted security. The former situation may be appropriate to organizations with very specific encryption needs around specific kinds of data, or around just emails specifically. Other companies may prefer a suite option if they require broader security features.
- Regulatory compliance: Some organizations, such as those in the medical industry, are driven to email encryption primarily to stay compliant with various regulations. These users require very specific security features and processes. However, they may not require the same broad range of security that other organizations need. Some email encryption vendors tailor their encryption services to meet these specific requirements without forcing organizations to pay for unnecessary capabilities.
- Email encryption or all-in-one email service: The other type of suite available is a vertical suite that encompasses all email-related capabilities. These products host the email inboxes and data management as well as handling encryption needs. Other products focus on integrating with existing email services, like Gmail or Outlook. Buyers should consider whether they want to adopt a new system as a whole, or layer an email encryption software over their existing infrastructure.
While some email tools have built-in encryption capabilities, standalone encryption tools cost between $10 and $100 per month. Pricing varies depending on the scope of capabilities offered and the number of users.
The following email encryption software offer award-winning customer relationships, feature sets, and value for price. Learn more about our Best Of Awards methodology here.