Reviews (1-5 of 5)
Read this authenticated review
Sentry works well on our production e-commerce site. If we have a bug slowing things down, it’s great to get an alert from Sentry so that we can fix it quickly. It might not be as helpful or matter as much for an internal site or web apps. However, you might as well use it for the price
April 06, 2019
Sentry is being used by the engineering department and it addresses our issue with tracking exceptions that occur with our software. This gives us a proactive indication of a possible issue in production or other environments. By being proactive about detecting exceptions we have a chance to fix them before customers even notice.
- Great at giving us a proactive heads up when there may be a serious issue in production by notifying us when a certain exception happens many times.
- Excellent variety of supported platforms: .NET, Java, and many more.
- Tracks exceptions across multiple releases, so you can identify when an exception first started happening.
- Sentry rolls up exceptions that it feels are similar, but the logic to determine that similarity could be improved. It doesn't always merge exceptions that are similar.
- The UI could be improved around projects; it would be nice to be able to group them by an environment.
- Support for .NET could be improved, it required us to roll our own library to log to Sentry.
Read Kevin Van Heusen's full review
Sentry is well suited for SaaS projects that wish to track exceptions happening in the backend. While it can be used for desktop applications, it may not be as suited for such projects. It works well to get real-time exceptions and aggregate common issues. If you don't have a team or staff to deal with the notifications then it may not be of as much use.
We use Sentry for monitoring all production web systems. Sentry solves a really important problem for us: in production, we'd like our services to automatically recover if (when) they go down, have errors, or throw exceptions. That's a problem from an error reporting perspective because we then lose failure state on reboot. Sentry helps us bridge this by logging and reporting production errors, so we can actively work to fix them, but don't have to worry about systems staying down while we work to triage.
- Sentry doesn't just provide a list of errors and exceptions, but instead gives us a full stack trace to work from
- Internally, Sentry handles a lot of code versioning checks so we can see where errors originated from, and if deployed fixes are in fact working
- Sentry interfaces with existing reporting tools so we can respond to production exceptions in minutes, instead of when we find out about them in viewing logs
- Very much a one-off tool; Sentry would be a lot nicer to use if it built out additional monitoring tools so we could run the entirely of our logging and reporting through their software
- Some of their documentation, particularly for the open source projects that drive error collection, can be lacking or inadequately communicated
Read Joshua Dickson's full review
Sentry is well-suited for any organizations with important production systems. The nice thing about it is it's an agnostic tool that can be used regardless of what kind of project you're working on -- you can just drop it in and start using it. The only real issue with it is that for clients with particular PaaS and LaaS restrictions, it may not be possible to allow code stack traces to be uploaded to third-party services.
December 15, 2017
- Great web interface. Lots of data available in a really clean format, with filtering options and more.
- Per-user exception tracking. User is complaining about something being broken? Look up their account ID in Sentry and you can see if they've run into any exceptions (with device information included, of course).
- Source map uploading. Took a little while to figure this out but now we have our deploy script upload sourcemaps to Sentry on each deployment, meaning we get to see stack traces that aren't obfuscated!
- Very generous free tier – 10,000 events per month. We're nowhere near that yet.
- Rollbar has more integrations with other services such as Help Scout. Would be nice if Sentry had as many.
- Can't search for users by username, even though I'm supplying one with the client SDK. I have to find their database ID first.
Read Luke Abbott's full review
Sentry supports a wide range of platforms and languages, so it seems well-suited to capture exceptions in many different kinds of apps and websites.
December 20, 2018
It is being used in our IT department and Quality department accordingly. We've integrated our product such that exception and logs can be collected by Sentry in more detailed and structural ways. Besides Sentry already can reach various transaction data via an agent which is installed on our production or test environments. Since then, Sentry can collect statistics continuously and robustly indeed. I use this tool to be notified of violations of the rules (system resources or load time based on concluded avg values, etc.), investigation of production or acceptance bugs, and also improvement opportunities in general.
- Cut out for the investigations of problems (with a log tool also)
- Finding improvements is easier
- Detecting bottlenecks may be possible in advance
- Any throughput can be observed
- May need you to develop and put the code into your codebase which is specialized for Sentry (in case of you want to get more information from Sentry)
- It is complex to use (and sometimes slow, especially when digging into some data that depends on historical stats) although it is a very handy and flexible tool
- Management is getting worried about the pricing :)
Read this authenticated review
If you develop or sell a software product, you need to worry about its real production performance and previous stages. So, you can trace and observe, via software like Sentry, whether the product performed well always, or bury your hands in the sand until you are strangled by critical bugs.
Sentry Scorecard Summary
What is Sentry?
Sentry provides engineering teams with tools to detect and solve user-impacting bugs and other issues.
- Has featureFree Trial Available?Yes
- Does not have featureFree or Freemium Version Available?No
- Does not have featurePremium Consulting/Integration Services Available?No
- Entry-level set up fee?No
|Enterprise||Contact sales team|
Sentry Technical Details