Great Products, Good Value

May 19, 2021

Unitrends in the Workplace

May 19, 2021

Universal recovery (301)

Incremental backup identification (338)

Deduplication and file compression (325)

Live recovery (289)

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery, and make your voice heard!

What is Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery?

The Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliances are hardware developed for data backup and management. They cover enterprise backup, ransomware detection, recovery assurance, proactive monitoring, and cloud continuity into a single platform for organizations of all sizes.

• Setup fee optional
For the latest information on pricing, visithttp://www.unitrends.com/products/recov…

1 person want pricing too

What is Veeam Backup & Replication?

Veeam’s® premier product, Veeam Backup & Replication™, delivers availability for all cloud, virtual, Kubernetes and physical workloads. Through a management console, the software provides backup, archival, recovery and replication capabilities.

What is Backblaze Business Backup?

Backblaze headquartered in San Mateo, California offers continuous, automatic cloud backup for personal and business use. Backblaze Business Backup consists of cloud solutions to safeguard systems and files (e.g Veeam, Servers, NAS, Workstations).

Data Center Backup

What is Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery?

Unitrends helps solve today’s modern IT data protection problems with purpose-built proprietary cloud environment that integrates with turnkey backup appliances to deliver offsite, long-term data retention and white-glove Disaster Recovery as a Service (DRaaS). Through automation Unitrends aims to minimize manual tasks, eliminates management complexity, and delivers tested hardware and software resilience.

Additional features:

Ransomware Protection

Predictive analytics that monitor data characteristics, flag suspicious files, and alert administrators to threats.

Recovery Assurance

Recovery Assurance tool provides automated failover, recovery testing, and compliance reporting.

Monitoring & Support

Recovery Series backup appliances include predictive analytics that anticipate hardware problems and send out alerts before issues occur. Once an issue is detected, a member of Unitrends’s support team will notify users and help to resolve the problem pre-emptively.

Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery Features

• Supported: Retention options
  • Supported: Encryption

Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery Screenshots

Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery Video

See how Unitrends makes backup and continuity simple

Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery Downloadables

Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery Competitors

Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery Technical Details

Deployment TypesOn-premise
Operating SystemsWindows, Linux, Mac
Mobile ApplicationApple iOS, Android
Supported CountriesWorldwide
Supported LanguagesEnglish

We have the Unitrends UB software deployed as virtual machines at two locations. I backup critical servers offsite to each location. We have multiple backup types in play, from Exchange databases, bare metal restores, and file based backups running daily. We also backup monthly to the RXDA device. Restores are fast and job management is as simple as I could hope for.
  • File level recovery is fast and easy to browse files granularly.
  • Job deployment is quick and the job calendar is very helpful to review and plan.
  • The gui is intuitive and easy to use.
  • The customer support has been the best of any different services we subscribe to.
  • Managing disk space is a bit difficult but rarely an issue.
  • Logs are a bit cryptic but are full of useful info when you learn how to read them.
  • The agents need updated a bit more often that I want to.
By far the best Backup utility I have used, it exceeds expectations for capabilities with types of backups available, and types of recovery options. So many options available, options to backup to cloud, and I cannot say enough about the great customer support. I am happy to recommend this company to colleagues.
Edwin Labirua | TrustRadius Reviewer
We utilize Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery on our facilities that have a VMWare implementation. We also use it to backup MS SQL databases on these locations. The business problems is solves is how to back up VMWare servers and provide instant recovery of the virtual machine off the Unitrends appliance disks until the virtual machine can be recovered back to VMWare.
  • Backup VMWare virtual machines.
  • Instant recovery of virtual machine in the event the virtual machine is done.
  • Ability to backup databases such as Microsoft SQL.
  • Use cloud provides for offsite data retention.
  • Appliance replacement when space requirements expand.
  • Cloud storage can't use Azure blob storage.
  • Inability to restore configuration and data when appliance is replaced.
Unitrends Data Center Backup Backup and Recovery is well suited for VMWare backups. It's fairly easy to configure and the learning curve is not steep. We like that you just have to add the VCenter to the appliance and can discover the virtual machines available. The setup to connect to a cloud provider is also easy to set up.
Muneer Ahmed Khan,ITIL® v3 | TrustRadius Reviewer
Unitrend takes approx. 400 TB data backup which is faster as compared to the earlier solutions and addresses quick restoration requirements as well.
  • Faster Back.
  • Deduplication and compression.
  • Backup replication across sites.
  • Takes almost all application backup.
  • Compatible with almost all Operating System.
  • At times its security creates hurdles while restoring the backup on another system secure.
  • Large space requirement while restoration.
  • Difficult to crack password protected backup.
Large data backup, centralized management, and its security are the best fit for any large enterprise.
We use Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery for all our backup and disaster recovery needs. We use Unitrends for the whole organization. We backup 9 Windows servers. We also have cloud retention through Unitrends for our mission-critical files and SQL database. Unitrends has been a truly set it and forget it backup solution without near as much interaction needed as previous solutions I have used. Email reports are to the point and don't overload my inbox for each backup, but give me a summary that I can glance at and tell in just a minute if all backups were successful.
  • Easy setup
  • Easy job setup
  • Easy restore
  • I find it difficult to see how much space each backup is taking
  • Way easier to just set up to backup files on a device instead of the whole device without getting a warning message
Unitrends has a friendly interface that allows for seamless, easy restores and easy monitoring. I can restore files in just a few click with options of either in the original location or to a new location. I get daily emails that show the results of the backups and if any have warnings. From my experience, and lack is that it seems difficult to find out how much space a particular backup is taking. Also, I would like to backup just some files on a device and if I select that I get a warning the the device isn't being backup up completely and no obvious way to shut off the warning.
Dan Watson | TrustRadius Reviewer
We backup all of our virtual servers and file shares, sending our critical information to their DRaaS.
  • Support! Whenever I have needed help, I've received it immediately or promptly.
  • It just works. Isn't that the best part of a backup solution? I never have to think about it.
  • Recovers from a failed backup usually without intervention by triggering a full backup.
  • Costs less than similar solutions.
  • Scheduling UI becomes difficult to edit when the schedule is busy.
  • Updates are not applied automatically.
We have a traditional stack and pretty typical needs as a manufacturer. I have used and evaluated everything out there, but the Unitrends solution fits very well and was competitively priced. I would think if it fits us, it could fit anyone like us with a similar stack.
We use our Unitrends backup appliance to run nightly backups of all our production servers. These servers run a wide range of services including Hyper-V, Exchange, SQL, and basic file shares. We backup bare metal installs as well as VMs across four branch locations. Our Unitrends backup appliance solves our problem of having safe, reliable backups available in the event of a disaster recovery scenario.
  • Easy to use UI
  • Reliable backups run on any schedule
  • Dynamic system that can backup virtually anything
  • Sometimes the UI can become unresponsive and clunky
  • The purchasing process is somewhat difficult, using a 3rd party
  • Notification process of new updates available
If the environment is relatively stable and there isn't a lot of data growth, the Unitrends appliance should be able to handle anything you throw at it. It is very diverse in backing up all kinds of systems. With that being said, if you're in an environment where data growth happens very quickly, you may have issues with scalability. These appliances are sized in specific quantities.
We use it for backups and cloud backups across the organization. For us, we have to do end-of-year processes before we can conduct business the following year. This includes creating backups of business-critical databases. We have to keep these for at least 7 years and the Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery cloud is one location where we keep these.
  • On-premises is great because when we lose our internet connection, the backups still function properly.
  • Onboarding was fast and thorough.
  • Chat support is easily understandable. It doesn't seem like they outsource that to other call centers.
  • The pricing beat most other competitors, which was most important to us.
  • There are 2 different UI's. There have been improvements, so the old UI might have been phased out.
  • There are tunnel issues at times when needing support. Nothing that happens regularly enough though.
  • Sometimes, I have to run a new full backup to get a successful backup to complete.
We are a pretty small organization, so I believe it will benefit others like ours. We have about 8 servers and 25 desktops being backed up.
Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery contains a fair amount of granular capabilities and controls, including weekly and daily reports. Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery also has the ability to create a data dump to external media, such as USB storage. It has a decent variety of configurations, templates, and backup options to select. The ability to export data to external storage and cloud covers all the best-practice scenarios and practices.
  • Agent-based backups
  • Windows compatible endpoint
  • Takes a while to support new OS versions
From the support point of view, Unitrends technical support is outstanding and quick to respond and resolve any issues. The Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery is designed to be straightforward and simple to use, which includes creating a new backup job and scheduling these backups. Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery appliance also allows us to back up our physical and virtual servers with a simple setup.
We’ve been working with Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery mainly as our server backup system and we used it for datastore replication, archive, and instant data recovery as well. Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery works well with multi-domain controllers, and it helps to separate the main storage and other critical software and run smoothly in different servers. A trusted backup system is a must when it comes to financial data and Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery always delivers good results without fail. Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery virtual appliance helps to back up by running on a completely virtual environment. Their user interfaces are pretty simple, and it's deduplication allows us to restore lots of older backups as well.
  • It has fully automated and customizable dashboards that can run with less administrative attention.
  • It should be able to run on virtual machines or be deployed as a virtual machine within MS Azure or AWS.
  • It's AI-based ransomware detection helps to understand data characteristics and alerts for ransomware attacks.
  • Automated failover and copy data management security are only available with the 'Enterprise Plus' plan.
  • More flexible subscription plans would be helpful for small to medium businesses to use their services.
  • It feels like data recovery takes a bit longer to process and there wasn't an option to restore them to a different drive.
Application restorations will be tested fully automatically and measures what the actual recovery time is and what the recovery points are. It's analysis compliance with service-level agreements and also identifies any potential threats to data recovery. If the system identifies an issue, then it will notify the user and will recommend steps for correcting those issues. Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery provides fully automated and customizable dashboards which require less administrative interaction on a day-to-day process.
Tanay Arora | TrustRadius Reviewer
Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery is being used by me and my organization to backup data easily. As with other backup solutions, there is a complex process to backup data. It varies across data types. Despite all that, Unitrends Data Center Backup is easy to use and easier to maintain.
  • High speed backup
  • High recovery speed
  • Automation backup schedule
  • In my opinion, there are too many updates to install.
  • Sometimes, there are some sort of problems while backing up data.
I have a habit of using my laptop rough and tough every time. This sometimes leads to hardware damage or data loss and this software helps a lot of time to recover data and to upload backup on the server, which lets the data be safe and lets me use my laptop as I want to.
Dan Reynolds | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am using Unitrends [Data Center Backup and Recovery] for my VDI infrastructure. I back up servers and all the desktops. It is an ideal solution for backing up VM's, and it has also allowed me to use some older storage I had lying around. It performs well, reports its doing well, [and] I like how easy it is to upgrade. I also like that it comes as an appliance - that was a major selling factor for me. The interface is not bad, but it's not intuitive either. Some concepts are hard to understand and implement.
  • It backs up VM's pretty quickly.
  • I like that it is appliance-based as it is much easier and cheaper to deploy that way.
  • It is very simple to upgrade.
  • It runs well with older storage hardware. I was able to put some older NAS devices to use.
  • Some of the concepts, like replication, are very confusing.
  • What I think are simple setup things can end up being a tech call.
I am using two different backup solutions. I use Unitrends [Data Center Backup and Recovery] to back up my virtual machines and the other products to backup data. I have my reasons. What I like about Unitrends [Data Center Backup and Recovery] for backing up VM's is the ease of backing them up. No agents, no nothing. Just a simple connection to the vcenter server. It works great. I also like that Unitrends isn't really picky about storage. I'm using a couple of old Netgear NAS units for backup. I don't try to keep everything; I only keep a couple of copies of the backups. I don't really want the image to be too old. My main purpose with VM backups is when I lose a lot of VM's all at once (done that), this is a good, cheap insurance.
Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery backs up our primary servers only. The cost per megabyte is too high to back up all of our PCs. Backups are kept on site (we don't use the cloud). We have replication going to a separate facility that we own. We also use the archive device to copy backups to hard drives that can be removed from the main facility.
  • Automation backup schedule
  • Speed of backup
  • Speed of recovery
  • Complication of navigating the user interface
  • Frequent backup problems on client servers (errors)
  • Frequent updates to install
For a large data center with multiple servers, Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery does well. Deduplication works well. On the downside, the cost per megabyte compared to alternative backups is high. The user interface is complicated to use at first. Tech support needs to be called at times to learn functionality that changes between updates.
  • Online training
We have had to call support frequently over the 12 years. Support varies in effectiveness over time - sometimes better, sometimes less so.
Software releases have mostly installed smoothly. They seem to be well-tested and often have new features. On the downside, they may also change the user interface significantly, which can be good or bad. Hardware upgrades have been very good and often have saved money in the long run.
We have been a Unitrends customer for many years and we will continue to be, hopefully for many years to come. Upgraded our Recovery 9006 appliance earlier this year and added Forever Cloud 500GB DRaaS at no additional cost. This let us reduce our cost and add functionality. We use this at our only location and works for our business needs.
  • Excellent customer service.
  • Easy migration.
  • One free test per year.
  • The occasional stalled job needing forced restarts.
  • Failed backups on occasion.
I would or would not recommend depending on the environment. Same goes for a reseller. It would depend on the business needs. What I have in my location, might or might not work for another business. We have discussed this very topic in my Technology Networking group.
We use our Recovery applicance on a daily basis to backup all data company wide. With the addition of a TBU our offsite backups are covered and we are able to keep all data in-house.
  • Both file level and VM level are handled.
  • Recovery is simple.
  • Minimal impact to system performance.
  • We have an 8016S appliance and I wish I could add more hard drives to it easily.
  • The menus could be more intuitive for less experienced users.
An appliance like this is an asset to any virtualized environment. I would not recommend it for small offices tho.
As a reseller we aim to use the Unitrends devices to address specific backup and recovery needs for different styles of business. Currently with a lot of different businesses having transitioned to a hybrid model for their infrastructure, the Unitrends device does well in addressing a local and cloud backup need for different situations.
  • Recovery speed.
  • Easy to use portal.
  • Reporting.
  • Specific data set limitations (novel in particular).
  • Up until recently - channel partnership deal registration and communication was very poor.
  • Device price (has been better).
Education is a great spot for Unitrends, larger companies with larger data sets are a great place for Unitrends to shine. Companies with multiple locations or those in need of offsite disaster recovery sites are another area where Unitrends shines. Setting up a disaster site is very easy and Unitrends assists in this setup.
Unitrends is our Backup and Recovery plan that we use for offsite/cloud storage in the event of a disaster to our server room. This is what allows our network specialists to sleep at night.
  • We have Unitrends set up to automatically sync at night.
  • Once we set it up there is very little maintenance.
  • Unitrends was one of the first affordable cloud-based backups available.
  • If we exceed our storage capacity, it takes time to determine what to omit.
Once we put things in the cloud with Unitrends, we don’t have as great of a concern of losing data.
Unitrends is being used as our primary backup application and key part of our DR and BC plan. It currently is backing up all our on-prem servers and important workstations. We use it across the entire organization and backup approximately 70 different machines. We were able to sunset our tape backup (a very manual process) and keep our data safe in the Unitrends cloud as well as on the recovery appliance itself.
  • Easy to deploy.
  • Reporting.
  • Managing jobs.
  • The recovery of specific items on file level backups can be tedious to find.
  • Support by phone.
  • Better logs for why items failed.
Right now, I would say 7. I think this score is generous considering an issue that happened in their data center where they lost all of our cloud backups for a period of time because of a hardware error on their side. We were credited a year worth of storage costs back, but that could have been a big issue if we needed the data. If you have multiple servers/workstations you need to backup and you just want to set something that just overall works well and you don't have to baby sit very often, then Unitrends is a good choice. Although deployment was easy with agents when we first set it up we had to go back 2 months later and redo a whole bunch of backups and change the backup types because of long backup jobs never finishing or catching up. I think if the implementation team would have spent a little more time on the type of servers and what we were backing up this could have been avoided.
It is our primary backup solution. Multiple infrastructure machines back up to the Unitrends including file servers and DC's.
  • It's relatively easy to use.
  • It's all in one.
  • Not very good support for Red Hat VMs.
  • Our file server incremental back ups were failing for weeks and we didn't know until we went to restore something. The system indicated successful incrementals were done.
  • Not easy to expand the existing storage without buying a whole new appliance.
It's a reasonable solution if cost is an issue and you're looking for ease of use. However, lack of support for Red Hat virtualization, the issues we've had with it not backing up files it says it backed up and the difficulty expanding an existing installation without buying an entire new appliance are becoming more trouble than it is worth.
We are currently using Unitrends as the backup and recovery for our on site servers. We have two domain controllers, an app server, a network attached storage server, and a server that runs some other service critical software. It gives us a trusted backup and recovery ability that we didn't have in previous products that were used. Being able to restore down to a single file was essential for us to have for some departments, such as finance, in case there was ever an issue with any data loss. We also have a secondary device that copies of the backups are stored for redundancy in our backup and recovery solution.
  • The setup of the device is very straightforward and simple. It's not confusing when configuring the backup device.
  • Adding assets to the system is very easy. The Unitrends agent that enables the backup of devices is simple to install. Once it is installed, you move on to creating a job for backing up the asset, which is also simple to setup.
  • Looking at the whether backup jobs are successful has a well laid out UI. You can filter by almost anything you want to find specific jobs or assets to check on the backups that were made.
  • Errors on backup jobs could be more clearly explained. As the administrator of the device for my company, I often don't know what caused an error, and can't tell from the error information what happened or caused the error.
  • Updates of the devices should have an automatic option. It takes to much time to do an update to the devices if updates haven't been maintained.
  • Shutdown and restarting the device should be available from the main UI screen to eliminate some time when doing updates or if you're doing some maintenance on the device.
If you have on-site servers and want a reliable backup and recovery system, then Unitrends is very well suited to the task. Easy setup, easy configuration, and ease of maintenance make it a quality system to implement in your on site data center. The speed of the backups also make the system very expedient when it comes to the backups that it does of your servers and workstations.
We use a Unitrends virtual appliance at our company to back up our entire virtual environment, all VMs. The user interface is pretty intuitive and the deduplication allows a lot of historic backups to be stored.
  • Ease of use.
  • Reliability of backups.
  • Restore options.
  • Better and easier removeable drive options for manual off site backups.
  • Faster recovery times.
  • More failsafe prompts to prevent overwriting existing VMs upon restore.
I would strongly recommend Unitrends based on its ability and ease of use and value. It is a professional, inexpensive backup product with good support. Fairly easy to set up and maintain. I like the hardware flexibility in using the virtual appliance as well as the cost savings. I feel it is well suited for mid to large size companies with 5 or more servers to back up.
We use Unitrends Data Center Backup to backup our internal servers with image-level backups every night. This helps us to feel secure in knowing that we have a backup of our information just in case.
  • Nightly back ups of servers.
  • Image level back ups.
  • Straightforward restoration of back ups to servers.
  • Speed of restoration when restoring a server that has crashed.
  • More detailed report if any issues occurred during back up.
Unitrends Data Center Backup is well suited for server and desktop backups. We find it convenient and secure to back up our servers that are not cloud-based.
Unitrends is used for backing up our on premise data across the organization. The primary function is recovery of lost or accidentally deleted files from our file server. In the event of an environmental disaster it creates offsite and cold copies of critical data and infrastructure. If a server were to become corrupt we could rebuild it from a backup vs having to start from scratch.
  • Centralized backup management
  • Easy cloud integration
  • The new interface is very user friendly
  • Better Active Directory integration
  • More storage options
  • Faster customer support
For keeping VM backups in three different locations it is great. If you want better Active Directory integration there are better options available. However the Unitrends pricing cannot be beat by other solutions we have looked into. After the new user interface it has been easy for me and my colleagues to run jobs and make changes to jobs. It is much more intuitive than it use to be. Before the GUI was changed we were seriously considering switching to a different solution.
We use our Unitrends Backup appliance as our primary backup tool for the entire school/business.<br>We do nightly backups of critical data as well as daily backups to external media that is shipped off-site weekly (on a 4-week rotation).<br>It's used for DR and for individual file recovery as needed.
  • Reports are helpful for general monitoring.
  • Adding new assets is simple.
  • Interface is fairly intuitive.
  • Mostly "set it and forget it".
  • Error detail reports are still fairly cryptic.
  • More options for reporting format would be nice (graphs, charts, etc).
  • 3rd party cloud storage options would be welcome.
The appliance is well suited for simple and reliable on-premise back-up. The addition of an external dock or Cloud backup allows for off-site options. A nice, low-maintenance solution for small/mid-sized environments. We don't use the larger appliances or Unitrends's cloud solution so I can't speak to the quality of those.
I use Unitrends [Data Center Backup and Recovery] for all my servers and one desktop. It alleviates the burden of me constantly checking backups because I know they're done right. I recently had to restore from a backup, and it was a fairly simple process. I appreciated all the help from the support team. They are very knowledgeable.
  • Customer Service
  • SLA
  • Easy-to-use UI
  • Faster initial response time from an engineer with a priority 1 support ticket.
Unitrends [Data Center Backup and Recovery] has simplified my backup process. After the initial set up, I knew things were backing up properly. The customer support when I have questions is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. They are efficient, and very good at following up when necessary. The recent bare metal restore I completed did take quite a bit of time, but with the size of my server, that was to be expected. Since I couldn't be on the phone with support the entire time, she made sure to send me emails periodically as she was also checking the status of my restore process.
[Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery] is used across our entire organization. We back up our entire VMware environment, along with several stand-alone Windows servers We ultimately decided on Unitrends because of the ease of backing up our entire organizations servers, which is a mixed environment. It also offers the ability to long-term archive storage which can be roomed and stored off-site. With the combination of being able to backup all of our different servers, the flexible schedule of backups and long term archive it was the best deal we reviewed.
  • Unitrends makes backing up VM's extremely easy, configuration is simple. In fact it will allow you to set up a policy that automatically backs up existing and any new VM's. The feature that allows it to backup any new VM's being created is fantastic since you don't even have to think about setting up a backup routine on the new server!
  • Unitrends does allow for entire server drives down to file level restores.
  • Unitrends has the ability to create Archive back ups that you are allowed to remove the physical drive and insert a second set of drives and run the archive routine again. Very clean and easy to use and setup. In our configuration we had to buy the second Archive appliance, but it works flawlessly with the primary Unitrends. Very much worth the investment.
  • When attempting to do a restore, it is a bit clunky on the process. While when it is completed it does work, but kind of confusing, especially on your first attempt.
  • We had to back up not only AD servers, mixed environment of stand-alone and VM's we also still had Netware servers that required a backup. It was a bit more tedious setting the Novell servers up for backup. A cleaner install for Netware would be nice, but not sure how big of an issue that will be since it is less used (Netware).
  • Unitrends and VMware work well with snapshots, but it needs to be emphasized that in some instances you need to REMOVE any existing snapshots of a server before you do different tasks, or it will not work at all.
Unitrends [Data Center Backup and Recovery] is an excellent backup solutions, especially when used in a VMware environment. Configuring the backup is easier than other vendors. They do have the current and legacy consoles, which both do work, but in some instances the legacy console seems more intuitive.

The appliance does work well and if sized correctly will do if job very well.