Stable robust CMS for a healthcare org
https://www.trustradius.com/cmsEktron Web Content Management System (Discontinued)Unspecified6.347101
February 18, 2014

Stable robust CMS for a healthcare org

Score 8 out of 101

Software Version
8.70 SP2 (Build 8.7.0.055)

Overall Satisfaction

We use Ektron as the CMS for our health system's website. Almost all of the production work is done in the communications department, though the site represents the whole organization. It would of course be next to impossible to run a website of this size and complexity without a reliable CMS in place, and Ektron fits the bill.
  • Good reliability. When implemented correctly, extremely rarely have timeouts or crashes
  • User-friendly. I've worked in CMSs before that were so complicated you might as well have been writing everything by hand in HTML. Not so here.
  • That being said, the code view is easy to use, as well, for those (like me) who actually are quite comfortable using HTML.
  • No major complaints. My impression is that it is rather flexible, and that it's not particularly difficult for devs to build what producers and managers need on top of the existing code.
  • I can't say, since we have only been using Ektron since I've been here.
  • WordPress,HTML,In-house solutions
I wasn't involved in the choice. I like WordPress but my impression is it's not scalable enough. Hand-coding would be a nightmare. I've worked at places that have developed their own in-house CMSs, but those were tech companies. I would certainly not advise to switching to any of the above if I were in a position to decide. I suppose I could investigate WordPress, but as I said, it's my impression it's not designed for such a large, complex site.
It's not my choice, but I don't foresee us changing anytime soon.
It's well suited for the purposes for which we use it: running a large enterprise web site. It is probably overkill for something small. If you're a small business with only a few web pages, you are almost certainly better off using WordPress, I think, if only for the simplicity and (free) cost.