Overall Satisfaction with IBM PowerVM
We are Using IBM PowerVM for virtualization in our organization. IBM PowerVM is used to virtualize the environment on IBM Power series hardware to utilize the hardware resources more efficiently. We are using a dual IBM PowerVM setup with the configuration of NPIV (for fiber port virtualization), SEA(for network virtualization), and VSCSI (for virtual SCSI) to host the multiple VMs on the same hardware in the environment.
- IBM PowerVM is used for virtualization on IBM Power series hardware to utilize the hardware resources more efficiently like micro partitioning for CPU, NPIV for fibre port...etc
- IBM PowerVM provides the feature of live partitioning mobility (LPM), which allows moving the running virtual machine from one hardware to another hardware without any disruption on a virtual machine.
- IBM Power VM provides the feature of Integrated virtual manager (IVM), which helps to manage the single IBM Power hardware. There is no need to purchase a separate hardware management console to manage the Power hardware. This works well for small organizations having small environments.
- The IBM PowerVM works only on Power processors, it should be also available for Intel processors.
- IBM PowerVM is still managed through the command line to perform administration tasks. IBM PowerVM needs to be managed through Graphical Interface so that users can perform the task more easily.
- In IBM PowerVM, padmin and root commands are different for the same task. It's a bit confusing and difficult to remember.
- IBM PowerVM is the best solution for the big organization having critical applications. Return wise, it's the best product.
- IBM PowerVM helps to save the application licensing cost by assigning one CPU to multiple virtual machines (micro-partitioning).
- IBM PowerVM provides many good features like LPM, shared-processor pool ...etc which provides a lot of flexibility at the VM level and helps to save the hardware cost.
IBM PowerVM is the best and most stable product in the virtualization market. It gives the best performance with IBM Power Server, especially its best solution, where we have to run critical applications and save applications licensing costs. It provides a lot of good features like LPM, shared processor pool...etc, which makes the environment more flexible.
Do you think IBM PowerVM delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with IBM PowerVM's feature set?
Did IBM PowerVM live up to sales and marketing promises?
I wasn't involved with the selection/purchase process
Did implementation of IBM PowerVM go as expected?
Would you buy IBM PowerVM again?
IBM Power VM is well suited in a large environment where we have to run multiple virtual machines on a single hardware and utilize the hardware more efficiently. It directly saves the cost of the organization. Due to the high licensing cost of IBM Power VM, it's less appropriate for smaller, less critical applications that do not need a lot of performance.