LinkedIn Learning Review

April 22, 2021
I have used Lynda.com since they first opened, prior to online course offerings. Their initial classes were delivered on CD-ROM and I was …

It's not much, but it works.

September 28, 2020
LinkedIn Learning (or Lynda.com) is available to all employees of our organization. The intent was to allow users to train themselves or …

Great video tutorials and training

February 28, 2020
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is an educational tool used by everyone in the organization to upgrade their skills and knowledge in …

Online learning for everyone!

October 18, 2019
Lynda.com is used across the organization and allows the individuals like me to keep their work skills fresh, to learn new ones and to …

Lynda is value for your money!

October 15, 2019
Lynda is being used by the Directors at Flambo Media to ensure we keep on top of industry-related trends.
In the near future, we would like …

Lynda.com is such a great investment

March 27, 2019
At a higher education institute, Lynda.com is available to students and staff for professional and personal development. Lynda.com is …

Great educational resource

December 26, 2018
Lynda.com is an amazing instructional, educational website. We have contracted with Lynda to serve up instructional videos that our …

Reviewer Sentiment

Positive ()
Negative ()
Learn how we calculate reviewer sentiment

TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2018

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com), and make your voice heard!

What is LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com)?

Lynda.com (now offered as part of LinkedIn Learning) is an elearning course library acquired and now supported by LinkedIn in May 2015.

6 people want pricing too

What is Coursera?

Coursera is a learning management platform from the company of the same name in Mountain View, California.

What is Udemy for Business?

Udemy for Business is a cloud-deployed elearning course collection offered by Udemy.com.

LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) Technical Details

What is LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com)?

What is LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com)'s best feature?

Reviewers rate Usability highest, with a score of 9.6.

Who uses LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com)?

The most common users of LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) are from Enterprises (1,001+ employees) and the Computer Software industry.

Arthur Kegerreis | TrustRadius Reviewer
Again, this corporate form is trying to force me to choose from products with slightly different names while not offering common options.

Udemy seems similar in many respects, but my recollection is that their subscription model was less appealing. I didn't find they offered much that Lynda.com didn't. Sitting through online instruction is time-consuming, and I didn't want to subscribe to an additional service. I may reconsider now, however, since LinkedIn's take-over. They seem to be most similar to Lynda.com. Others are really offering alternatives to university enrollment-based degree pursuing classes.

Coursera is more of a long-term instructional system. Many of their instructors are academic "celebrities" in their fields, however you only interact with a video of them, a TA, and other classmates. The project feedback from other classmates wasn't helpful, and in some cases was out-right insulting. They seem to be moving away from some of their free courses to suites of paid courses with project certificates, though often with a free non-certificate option as well. Many of the class videos can also be found on YouTube. A big drawback of most of these classes is that they're offered only at certain times, so you may have to wait months for a class to start. The Introduction to Human Computer Interaction class I took with a Stanford/UCSD professor had 4000 students in it! Those lessons had all been on the instructors faculty page as well, and are still available on YouTube, but the class projects were what made it worthwhile.

Kadenze if offering a selection of arts-related software and business courses. They have some of the top names in these fields. The class model is nearly identical to Coursera, and suffers some of the same drawbacks.

These shortcomings aren't so much due to the company offering the courses, however; many universities are now offering their classes using the same software that they both use. A friend was extremely upset after moving across the country for a graduate program, only to discover the entire class was being delivered online (before the pandemic) in pretty much the same fashion as Coursera, though with a much smaller class-size.

YouTube offers a huge variety of software training videos, but there's no vetting system, and the quality varies from exceptional to unwatchable. It's often great for tracking down an answer to software dysfunctionality though. I just watched Lynda.com's SketchUp Essentials, and had some un-explained questions that I found answers to immediately on YouTube - not on the software manufacturer's site, however!

MIT has a vast treasure trove of it's classes and syllabi available for free online. These don't include videos of the instructor lectures, however.

Community College certificate programs and classes have been a better option for me, when I just wanted to learn an application.
Jaymason Gallien | TrustRadius Reviewer
LinkedIn Learning wasn't our first choice; what it came down to for the organization was the cost for the value of the product. The other services provided better training, better metrics, and better reporting. LinkedIn Learning (or Lynda.com) provided the most affordable option that still (barely) accomplished the objective for our organization.
Matt LeMaire, B.A., M.A. | TrustRadius Reviewer
We didn't get too deep into the comparison outside of a surface review of the other options. LinkedIn Learning reps were responsive and quick to put something together to meet our needs. Moreover, initial cost fit within our budget and the integration between LinkedIn and LinkedIn Learning made it easy for our staff to get onboard. In future years, we will look to explore the above options more fully to see if they might offer more industry-specific training and development, but that seems less of a focus for something outside of the insurance industry and focused on a more widespread user base.
HubSpot Academy offers more specific video training on a variety of marketing and sales topics, which is also good, but LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) offers a much broader variety of videos that accommodate needs in different areas of business from more technological to sales to leadership and management to marketing, accounting, and more.
Sara Rogers | TrustRadius Reviewer
I haven't evaluated any other learning platforms but I have really enjoyed my subscription to LinkedIN Learning/Lynda. It's allowed me to figure out how to do things on my own when I needed to. I love that it's there and I don't have to wait until a training or conference to learn more about a software or service because I just log into LinkedIn Learning and it's right there!
Irina Danilova | TrustRadius Reviewer
I preferred Lynda.com because it provided me with better choice of classes I am interested in. I also like the interface better and the overall experience, from quality of material presented to the complexity of exercises. Also, Lynda.com is integrated with LinkedIn and I feel that adding my Lynda.com achievements to my profile improves my appearance.
Rocky Kev | TrustRadius Reviewer
Udemy for Business is a crapshoot. The consistency is non-existent. Some courses go incredibly deep, while other courses don't go deep enough. Even when we got a few free months of access to Udemy - I still couldn't find why I would use Udemy over LinkedIn Learning.

Pluralsight is superior to LinkedIn Learning in programming/coding. They have a better library of content and more tests. What Pluralsight lacks is for non-developer skillsets. Buy Pluralsight for your devs.

Coursera is not at all an option for the business environment. It follows the college model of delivering content slowly and without reason. Its focus is more on high-level possibilities, not real-world things you want to solve.
Mitchell Clements | TrustRadius Reviewer
Coursea offers more credible certifications, while Udemy offers individual courses that don't require a monthly subscription. Ultimately, all 3 platforms provide quality content and a wide range of courses. However, some may specialize in different areas than others. My ultimate decision though would come down to pricing models. If you want unlimited access to several courses, then LinkedIn Learning is a great option. However, if you're just wanting to take a single course, then Udemy or Coursera may be better.
Our organization has used different webinars, including ones on LinkedIn, to provide similar insight. But it's a totally different ballgame. Lynda.com offers in-depth tutorials rather than just a 2-hour video broadcast. With lynda.com there are more information and experts, as well as so many different courses fit for every need/want. There is also a lot more flexibility with lynda. You can take it on the go, watch on mobile and at anytime, rather than being tied to a certain time slot.
December 13, 2017

Review of lynda.com

Ai Ashe | TrustRadius Reviewer
We have both lynda.com and Plural sight at my job. I like lynda.com when I am searching for a specific tool as it contains videos that hone in on teaching the attributes of a specific tool. Pluralsight's videos generally are longer and are more project based. But both sites are excellent resources. I can't really say which is better than the other.
Benjamin Brogdon | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Treehouse and YouTube
If I were the decision-maker, I don't know if I would have chosen lynda.com. In grad school, we were required to subscribe to Treehouse for a course in web development. Treehouse has the superior platform in that it includes mandatory skill checks. Instead of simply watching a video, you have to demonstrate a skill. Treehouse has a superior system of grouping content that awards badges for completing similarly grouped training modules (javascript required completion of "Programming Languages", for example, which is also an introductory course in more advanced programs. Lynda.com's library is huge, but it is difficult to see how individual programs work together with others.
Brett Jones | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • YouTube
Lynda.com is sort of a glorified way to locate and manage worthwhile content, with the content itself being verified and administered. Though it comes with a premium, there are distinct advantages to Lynda.com for learning content. Convenience comes at a premium: such is life. People shop at convenience stores despite higher prices because, yes, it is convenient. Same logic applies to online learning content, especially for higher quality.