Moz Reviews

Dustin Junkert | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 11, 2019

For keyword tracking enthusiasts, Moz is your affordable, easy-to-use platform!

Pros and Cons

• Keyword rank tracking is on-point. You can easily tag on competitors and get ranks for them as well, which rules.
  • Moz has a great section for links—I especially use the Discovered and Lost reporting, which lists new domains linking to your site, and domains that dropped out, plus a DA for each. Clients eat this stuff up.
  • SERP Features is great as well—this is another thing that clients are thrilled to see: examples of keywords where fun SERP features appear. It's sort of a little thing, but the ease which Moz makes it available is great—the optics on this kind of thing to clients is outstanding.
  • Some of the auto-gen visual tables aren't all that useful for smaller companies. For instance on the Search Visibility tab, many of my clients have a tiny % of keywords in the top-10, so the table shows basically 4 overlaid flat lines. I wish we had some options to customize this table or expand the range or something.
  • I wish there were some more tools relating to the technical aspects of the site/pages. The whole tool is very keyword-oriented, which is fine, but I feel like over time this has become and will continue to be less important than technical aspects, site speed, voice search, etc.
  • There's an Anchor Text tab, but it only looks at Inbound links—I wish this feature was for on-site anchor text—this could be a much better optimization tool. Because there's nothing you can do about inbound link text.
Read Dustin Junkert's full review
Lee L Kennedy | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 18, 2019

A great SEO tool for campaign management

Pros and Cons

• Keyword tracking is great and reliable.
  • Their search volume metrics are the best in the industry.
  • They campaign dashboards are a nice way to track your success over time.
  • I wish you could put in a website and return what that site ranks for, like SEMRush. But I don't think you can.
  • The interface has so many options, it's hard to navigate or remember where you have to go for certain things.
  • It's difficult to switch between rank tracking vs keyword discovery--they're in two different places that don't merge well.
Read Lee L Kennedy's full review

• Local SEO
  • Moz index
  • SEO weather
  • Backlink database is limited
  • Industry specific jargons and mentions would be helpful
  • Error tracking is very misleading
  • Duplicate pages marking each page even when it’s not duplicate. In other words this algorithm is too sensitive. Provide ability or control to user to set the sensitivity of the duplicate page check
November 06, 2019

Keyword tracking made easy!

Pros and Cons

• The keyword tracker tool is phenomenal. It’s so helpful to be able to track keyword progression over weeks and months.
  • If search term volume is important, Moz is great at assisting in finding high-volume keywords your company should be targeting when writing content.
  • The on-page grader is an awesome way to pinpoint issues on a page-by-page basis. Fixing website content can be like taking a stab in the dark, but with this tool, Moz tells you how to enhance page content every step of the way.
  • Moz has a basic competitor analysis function, but in order to truly see how a competitor is doing, you almost need to create a new project for that competitor. The tool is excellent for single website management, but not as robust as some other tools when it comes to competitor analysis.
Kevin Gamache | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 15, 2019

Great product, easy to use and at a great price point.

• Keyword Expansion Analysis
  • Backlink Analysis
  • Keyword Tracking
  • Competitor Metrics
  • Paid Search visibility as compared to Organic Search visibility
  • Hard to see special placements like instant answers
  • Diving into SEO site issues that were found can be a bit daunting
Read Kevin Gamache's full review
Jordan Comstock | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 22, 2019

Moz Pro is good, Free version is great

Pros and Cons

• DA in the moz bar. My favorite Domain authority tracking tool.
  • Highlights followed and no follow links, as well as show on page elements. allows you to see it easy without viewing source code.
  • Keyword explorer. decent KW tool.
  • Pro subscription isn't the be all end all of SEO. Other tools do KW, Links better in my opinion.
  • DA isn't always consistent with other tools, which can be frustrating when comparing data.
  • Expensive.
Read Jordan Comstock's full review
Richard Peterson | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 14, 2019

Moz makes my life easier

Pros and Cons

• One big strength of Moz is that you do not need to go to an off-site training session to get up to speed. The quality of the on-line tutorial videos is very good and they allow us to add new features as we need them.
  • The alerts force us to update any issues immediately. It is a great way to maintain control over your SEO program.
  • We feel there needs to be more on SEO 101 to get beginners up to speed. As we add to our team I'd like Moz to teach them the basics, not requiring me to do that function.
Read Richard Peterson's full review
October 22, 2019

Moz is a cost-effective digital marketing toolset to use in your marketing stack.

Pros and Cons

• Keyword Explorer has excellent filtering options and a great recommendation engine around related terms.
  • The On-Page Grader is an excellent gut check when publishing new service pages and blog posts.
  • Domain Authority has always served as an easily digestible number to assess how we're doing in our optimization efforts, as well as assessing competitors or outreach targets.
  • Moz' offerings have continued to split and introduce additional costs - limitations in crawl budget or keyword tracking can be annoying.
  • On-Demand Crawl toolset is not as robust as an Ahrefs.
October 16, 2019

An SEO that works

• Amazing resources.
  • Fantastic example videos walking you through SEO tips.
  • Great analytics tool to get SEO insights.
  • Great dashboard layout.
  • I don't personally have any big problems with Moz.
  • My one main thing would be improving their free version a little more without taking away from their paid editions.
May 22, 2019

Moz is an SEO lifesaver

• Keyword research/planning.
  • Web analytics.
  • SERP rank tracking.
  • Moz's site crawl might not be the best for larger companies with more complex websites.
  • Their dashboard is helpful, but it can sometimes be overwhelming when trying to find the information you actually need.
  • The keyword planner feels a bit limited compared to other tools.
Rachel Hensley | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 12, 2018

Moz is a benefit to your marketing arsenal.

Pros and Cons

• Keyword Research: Before starting SEO you should always start with an audit and by doing your research. You can trust the MOZ brand to bring you real information regarding keyword research.
  • Position Monitoring: This was my favorite feature of the program. I love selecting my keywords and watching their position/performance over time. I found many ways to improve and looked forward to checking it each month.
  • Crawling: Moz pro gives you crawling information to rival Google Analytics.
  • It's not a super intuitive program. It can be clunky in some areas and while not hard to use, it doesn't flow as well as it could.
  • It doesn't have a sleek design. The backend and information is upfront but could benefit from a sleeker design to maybe better represent the brand.
Read Rachel Hensley's full review
Nathan Sichilongo | TrustRadius Reviewer

Using MOZ - From the perspective of a long time user

Pros and Cons

• Open Site Explorer: this tool allows you to monitor your site's backlinks and compare them to competitors. It is an indispensable tool for monitoring site's backlink performance.
  • Keyword Research: Moz has had one of the best keyword research tools in the business. The good thing is you can see competition scores and check what other keywords are similar to the one you are searching for.
  • Crawl Tool: Moz has one of the largest crawl engines available and can crawl a site and give you a report on things you can improve and enhance for good SEO practice. This tool has helped us when setting up new sites to give us a full report and checklist to follow on what things we need to work on.
  • Crawler is not the greatest: Sure MOZ has one of the largest crawlers online but it lags behind other competitors in terms of depth and crawl frequency. If you compare to similarly priced tools, a lot of times MOZ lags behind.
  • MOZ is more for beginner SEOs. If you are just getting started out, MOZ' tools are ideal but if you have done SEO for months, you will find more usage and depth in other tools.
Read Nathan Sichilongo's full review
December 14, 2018

I love-- a paid subscriber to the MOZ community

Pros and Cons

• Keyword Explorer. I use the lists feature, SERP analysis, & suggestions several times per week. The suggestions that are questions is a good starting place for get a sense of what my target audience cares about. Then I'm able to do more targeted research within the SERP itself and come up with a plan for our piece of content.
  • I think Rank Tracker is really helpful, especially for agencies trying to get a quick sense of how many sites are performing for higher priority terms. All your top terms are on one page, which makes it easy to do a quick, daily check.
  • MOZ does a really good job at creating an open, no judgement community forum where ideas and concerns can be freely expressed without ridicule or embarrassment. Whether you think you are a beginner or an expert, you are welcome to speak your mind and ask your questions. Their free articles, white papers, vlogs, etc are all really well done resources for any SEO professional.
  • Link building is not a core strength for MOZ. But I think they've recognized this and found a company (STAT) to join up with to strengthen that area.
  • I think they've missed how useful Rank Tracker is to a lot of their users. I would like to see them spend some time on the UX of this feature to improve it because the base concept is worthwhile. I started looking into alternate solutions when I heard it was going away--solutions that would have taken my budget away from MOZ. It was a relief to see them roll back their decision to remove its functionality.
  • I would like to see more capability to be able to track ranking for keyterms for desktop and mobile as separate metrics. I know there is a difference, but I have no definitive insights other than my manual tracking, which for local is not very accurate when I'm trying to promote a site in Portland and am based in the Midwest.
December 17, 2018

Moz is a good SEO tool that is welcoming to beginners

• Running a scan on our site and tracking any broken pages or 500 errors
  • Tracking keywords and their rankings as per different geographies
  • Keeping a tab on competitors and their rankings
  • The backlink database of MOZ when I used it looked somewhat under-powered. In some cases older links resurfaced as new.
December 12, 2018

MozPro: A better tool for keyword research and on-page search engine optimization

Pros and Cons

• Understanding who is coming to our site, and what they searched for that led to us.
  • Monitoring search engine rankings, and how we rank for certain keywords.
  • Optimizing our current pages so we can get the best ranking possible.
  • Identifying new content that we should target.
  • Custom reports are available, but it can be a little confusing to learn how to create them.
  • Pricing can be prohibitive for smaller companies, although a 30-day trial is available.
  • Branded reports are not available in the entry-level tier.
December 09, 2018

Moz....Simple, Straightforward and Solid

Pros and Cons

• Reporting is super easy. Customize reports to suit your specific needs and schedule them to be sent out on the schedule you want.
  • Keyword research....not only do we monitor our own target keywords, but we use it for competitor research to learn what our competitors are doing well and where they might be falling short.
  • More keyword research....we use it to prioritize keywords based on volume and difficulty.
  • It took a while to get the feel of everything. Some items don't seem to be in an intuitive place, in my opinion.
Andrew Silverstein | TrustRadius Reviewer

A Worthy Tool, Worth Your Consideration

Pros and Cons

• Backlink analysis - not only can you see every backlink to your site, but the SEO "strength" of the backlinking domain. We realized we had PLENTY of backlinks, but not as many as we'd like from stronger domains. Now, we're targeting stronger domains with relevant content containing links to those domains.
  • The Moz Bar - A must-have for any Chrome user involved in SEO in any capacity like myself. Just click the little Moz Bar icon and it'll bring up the site's title tag, meta tag, domain authority, page authority, and so much more.
  • Keyword Explorer - Not unlike many of these SEO sites, Moz has a fairly robust keyword explorer that breaks down the keyword(s) you search into categories like monthly volume, difficulty, similar suggestions and more. What I like is that you can save a set of keywords to your account if you're looking to run a particular campaign.
  • This is tough as I'm fairly green when it comes to SEO. But, that's what Moz excels at in my experience. If there's something you don't understand or would like to know more about, they have a massive library of helpful content. I do wish the live chat functionality was actually live. They're somewhat quick to respond (>24 hours), but it's always been a gamble as to when I'll actually receive a response to my question.
Read Andrew Silverstein's full review
Katie Bodell | TrustRadius Reviewer

Love Moz for SEO

Pros and Cons

• Keyword selection - helps us choose the best keywords to target
  • Recommended keywords - sorting & filtering these results by audience reach is really helpful
  • On-page grading of SEO goes way beyond the basics & helps identify problems & solutions for SEO.
  • I would love a "click to compare" option for keywords. You can do this with larger campaigns, but often I am searching for a single-use keyword (for a blog post, for example) and want to compare the data for multiple keywords without using the page navigation.
Read Katie Bodell's full review
Samuel Klepinger | TrustRadius Reviewer

SEO for everyone w/Moz

Pros and Cons

• The keyword research tool, 'Keyword Explorer' provides a lot of information in a very consumable format.
  • Moz's 'Crawl Test' tool is great for prioritizing issues by impact. While a lot of other competitor tools will identify and report on trouble-making URLs and errors that need attention, the Moz UI and readily available resource articles and tips make it a much more complete solution; we're able to identify technical SEO errors, get assistance with prioritizing them, and find instructions for how to fix issues, all in one place.
  • Moz has a developed community of SEO folks, digital marketers, and internal staff that are always quick to answer questions and provide feedback.
  • For our keyword research needs, we typically end up using other tools to supplement the data we get with Moz. Consequently, a lot of our research is compiled outside Moz.
  • The social media tool, FollowerWonk, was included with a Moz subscription at one point, but is no longer available. We were sad to see it go!
  • Tracked competitors are limited to three per campaign.
Read Samuel Klepinger's full review
Dragan Nikolic | TrustRadius Reviewer

Moz - A good all-in-one SEO tool that has yet to reach its true potential

• Reporting system
  • Competition comparison
  • On-page grading system
  • Moz is great for reporting when you have a lot of campaigns to monitor, even though their database lacks the vastness of other SEO tools
  • Not very clean UI
  • UI not responsive
  • Not very accurate link index
Read Dragan Nikolic's full review
Lindsey Marymont | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 19, 2018

Moz Makes SEO Easy

• Technical SEO audit reports
  • Keyword tracking and competitive rankings
  • Grouping keywords into campaigns to monitor as group
  • Automated reporting emailed regularly
  • Easier or more structured setup - maybe guided tour to walk through examples
  • More recommendations for customers. There is some degree of this, but it is helpful to have various different kinds of recommendations.
  • The video tutorials are helpful - I watched a lot of them, but if I had to think of something, I would recommend more of this.
Read Lindsey Marymont's full review
Rodrigo Stockebrand | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 04, 2015

Moz - An overall gleaming review from an enterprise agency user

Pros and Cons

• Moz provides lots of data, all processed and sent back to the end-user fairly quickly. Which is critical for my work since most of my clients are large enterprises with hundreds of thousands of data points (links, pages, etc...), and we generally have quick turnaround periods.
  • Moz provides a great user-interface that we often take screenshots of and include in client reports (e.g. keyword difficulty visuals). This saves me a ton of time since I can quickly add them instead of having to reformat (or recreate) them on other tools that have visuals that are less attractive and eye-catching.
  • Moz customer service has always been incredible. I always feel like I'm getting my questions answered from a real person and that they are doing what's in my best interest. One particular time I called with a question on how to use OSE for a particular pitch and the rep saved me a bunch of time by running the reports for me, as well as giving me his thoughts on how to best leverage.
  • I've always felt that I only know about 10% of what I could possibly really do in Moz. So what would be really helpful is knowing how some other enterprise type users are using the tool. I will say however, that the quick videos on Twitter have been really helpful, as well as the blog posts that really dive into the tool capabilities. Perhaps it's just me being lazy and not proactively learning the tool;)
  • I've always been skeptical of the Moz data that is being pulled in from Google Analytics, since it sometimes doesn't match up with what I see in Google Analytics and is also generally very high-level and not very actionable. Also, would be nice to get Site Catalyst integration.
  • I'm a little concerned with the Mozcon. This is the first year I didn't purchase the super early bird ticket on the spot at the event because I'm starting to feel it's not the best conference for an advanced SEO looking for specific strategies and tactics that could be applicable to large enterprise SEO practices.
Read Rodrigo Stockebrand's full review

Keyword analysis (28)
Backlink management (23)
SERP ranking tracking (28)
Page grader (28)
Competitive analysis (28)
Site audit / diagnostics (27)
Site recommendations (25)
Task management (14)
5.0
Local SEO (20)
Social SEO (17)
Mobile SEO (19)
Global SEO (20)
Multi-domain support (19)
Integration with web analytics tools (21)

About Moz

Moz, from the same-named company in Seattle, Washington, is one of the most popular SEO platforms for tracking the performance of all inbound marketing efforts comprehensively. It reveals how content is being shared through social channels and how that drives traffic to a website, and features a broad toolset for search engine optimization: rank tracking, link opportunites, site audit via Moz Analytics, prospective keyword analysis and content grading, as well as a crawl test to find broken or poorly designed site elements.

Moz offers free SEO tools to get started, after which the Standard pack starts at $99 and supports 5 Moz Analytics Campaigns, 300 keywords, 250,000 crawled pages, and 15 social accounts. The subsequent higher priced tiers available for $149, $249, and $599 (Medium, Large, and Premium) support white label reporting and more keyword and activity coverage, for agencies of increasing size.