A sturdy and efficient web filter
February 13, 2020
A sturdy and efficient web filter
Score 10 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Barracuda Web Security and Filtering
Barracuda Web Security and Filtering is used across most of our company. It provides a layer of security needed by restricting access to websites that are malicious, or have their use prohibited on the company network. It can provide logs of web activity if required, so for example you can keep a track of anyone that has tried to access prohibited sites. There are a number of options available to allow/block sites, which can allow you to be quite flexible in access control.
- It can integrate with active directory to place restrictions based on a specific user or group if required - or alternatively to allow a user/group to access more on the web if needed.
- The application blocking features have been especially useful in our enterprise, and there is a large number of applications & web applications available to block/allow as needed.
- More configuration in the reporting options would be helpful; there are a number of reports available to run, however more options for customisation would be useful.
- The ability to add a list of domains/URL patterns to whitelist or block would be beneficial; while you can do a bulk edit, you can't just copy and paste the URLs in, you have to modify the line of text so that it matches the format, and adds it to the list. The ability to just import a list of addresses would be a huge time saver.
- It has helped to prevent employees browsing unsuitable sites on company time, which aids productivity.
- It has increased the security and safety of the network, which is a requirement of all of our customers, and also the laws that apply to our industry.
I've found Barracuda to be very customisable, which allows it to fill the security requirements more adequately than a more generic product would have been able to. We also use a combination of hosted and on-premise devices, and have found that there is no difference in terms of reliability; neither require frequent reboots, or much maintenance, other than standard updates, and modifications to the black/white lists.
Barracuda support have also been excellent when we have had to contact them. The only time we had a hardware issue on a device (and that device was about 8 years old) it was replaced within about 24 hours of reporting it. Generally there has not been much need to contact their support, as once the device is in and set up, it just works.
Do you think Barracuda Web Security Gateway delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Barracuda Web Security Gateway's feature set?
Did Barracuda Web Security Gateway live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of Barracuda Web Security Gateway go as expected?
Would you buy Barracuda Web Security Gateway again?
Because of the range of devices available, Barracuda Web Security and Filtering can be suitable for many sizes of business, and is quite reasonable in terms of cost for each device as well. They do need some degree of technical knowledge to initially configure, however some of the ongoing configuration could be done by someone with less technical knowledge if needed, as adding sites to block/white lists is quite a simple task. This could be beneficial in smaller environments where you might not have a big IT team to support the network. Also because they can provide restrictions based on AD users or groups, it would be very useful in any environment where different departments have different requirements; for example if you want one department to only be able to access a few specific sites, whereas another department could have more access to a range of sites.