Google Pays Off
June 21, 2021
Google Pays Off
Publications & Marketing Specialist
Learfield IMG CollegePublishing, 501-1000 employees
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Google Pay (formerly Google Wallet)
Google Pay shines in how simple it is to use to complete purchases. Because it saves a customer's information for ready access when they're checking out, customers should be more likely to stick around to complete their purchases. Using Google Pay with our publications store allows customers to check out more smoothly and, I believe, to have fewer abandoned carts.
- Saves purchasing information at the tip of your customer's fingers.
- Makes check out on a variety of web stores more streamlined.
- Remembers information across multiple devices.
- Updating credit card information is not as seamless.
- Lacks a clear way to encourage new customers to use Google Pay (at least, with our current setup).
- Sometimes requires multiple security checks to fill out the full payment information on a website.
- Simple payment options to encourage customers to purchase.
- Loyalty rewards can be implemented into their app without making it necessary for customers to download another app to connect with you.
- Faster checkout.
- During the pandemic we had to temporarily close our webstore, during which time we redesigned the setup to include a new look and new payment options. Google Pay makes it easier for customers to check out quickly and complete their purchases on our new store.
- We have not been able to make use of Google Pay for in-person transactions at sporting events; I am unsure how this would improve the process of selling publications at NCAA and other collegiate events
I was not a part of the discussion to implement Google Pay into our store, but I am definitely an advocate. Amazon Pay was used sparingly but still a helpful option; I believe that Google Pay is more widespread and simpler to use. I would be interested to see how payment disputes are handled between these different payment platforms; so far, we have only had to handle disputes through PayPal, which can be complicated but have typically been resolved quickly.
Do you think Google Pay delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Google Pay's feature set?
Did Google Pay live up to sales and marketing promises?
I wasn't involved with the selection/purchase process
Did implementation of Google Pay go as expected?
Would you buy Google Pay again?
I have only scratched the surface of Google Pay's capabilities because we do not have a physical store. I believe the benefits would increase for locations where smartphone payment is already underway in physical stores that also do online sales. If your business deals with very little foot traffic or does not offer a variety of payment choices, do more research before adding Google Pay as an option — Google Pay is an eager competitor to Apple Pay, and therefore offers businesses opportunities to run promotions and other incentives to adopt Google Pay currently, so it still may be worthwhile to smaller businesses. Google Pay is about to implement a banking option, which will likely add to the number of users and therefore excited customers with Google Pay to spend with you. The web implementation seems simple and should be a good addition to websites where multiple payment types are available.