Stream smarter with Ustream
January 10, 2017
Stream smarter with Ustream
Score 9 out of 10
Streaming Manager (Ustream Pro Broadcast)
- Ustream eCDN (IBM Cloud Video Enterprise Content Delivery Network)
Overall Satisfaction with IBM Cloud Video (including Ustream)
You will want to have a few discussions with your IT department before moving forward. There are ports that need to be opened if you are broadcasting from behind an enterprise firewall. You will also want to make sure your IT department does not have any concerns with bandwidth when employees are watching the stream from multiple workstations.
As previously mentioned, the platform is very easy to use. Setting up streaming events on your channel(s) is very streamlined and only takes a few seconds to start broadcasting. We do not use the mobile app very often, but having it as a backup is certainly a great feature. It is also very important from the front end that users unfamiliar with the platform can watch the stream and navigate playback controls with ease. We have received nothing but positive feedback from our audience.
We use the IBM Cloud Video (Ustream) platform to broadcast high definition video content to employees across the state as well as external stakeholders. We decided to move forward with the Ustream platform because we wanted a secure, high performing solution to deliver training and marketing materials to our target audience. We also were looking for an alternative/backup for hosting videos produced in-house.
- We have really enjoyed the platform because of the ease-of-use. The back-end is very easy to navigate and customize for your brand.
- When we have run into technical issues, the support has been top-notch. We have been able to get our issue resolved very quickly. That being said, we have only needed to use technical support for initial setup and once while the platform has been active. It is comforting knowing should an issue arise, we can get our problem resolved quickly.
- For videos that are being uploaded to the channels, we have no way of adding captions. We are hoping that this feature is implemented sooner rather than later.
- For live events - rather than needing a CC encoder, it would be great if a stenographer could log into a dedicated browser (ideally from a remote location). This would significantly simplify the CC process making our videos more accessible.
Our organization has used IBM Cloud (Ustream) to cut back on employee travel costs to meetings. Employees are now able to participate in meetings regardless of where they are in the state (or world). The ability to immediately playback and rewind meetings has been appreciated by many of the employees.
- Livestream and YouTubeLive
Before selecting Ustream (IBM Cloud Video) we used and researched Livestream and YouTube Live. We ultimately selected Ustream because of the channels vs. event based workflow. We appreciate having a dedicated link for employees to view live and pre-recorded content. YouTube Live doesn't compare to either platform, the only benefit to YouTube Live is that it is free. If you are a professional and need to deliver high-quality content, I see no reason to use a free platform with limited to no features.
When you need to broadcast high-quality video to a large audience, we have received nothing but positive feedback from our audience. For two way communication, we use Skype for business. With that said, for larger events when shooting a multi-cam switched event we have been able to incorporate two way communication.