Overall Satisfaction with Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance
The Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance is our first line of defense to ensure critical and essential business continuity across our entire organization. With Unitrends, along with best practices implemented for backup and recovery, I can rest each night knowing that our data is protected both on site and off site in conjunction with the Unitrends Forever Cloud solution. I highly recommend Unitrends for any organization of any size that is serious about protecting its data and information as well as making recovery a priority.
- Built-in deduplication is a huge benefit to save on storage costs associated with our backups.
- Support for the Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance is outstanding. It is more than just a hardware appliance, it is backed with first class support.
- Unitrends has an impressive level of backup compatibility across a wide array of platforms, which is why we chose Unitrends in the first place.
- Unitrends UI is currently reliant on Flash, but Uniitrends is working hard to make it HTML5 native.
- The e-SATA interfaces for external devices such as an archive bay are not easy to keep securely connected and can fall out easily, but this is true of most e-SATA solutions.
- A remote shutdown API would be great for power failure scenarios!
- Unitrends helped us recover from an unrecoverable SQL database failure within 5 minutes.
- Unitrends has an outstanding ROI for us over time. The solution has been able to scale nicely to meet our recovery objectives.
- The level of automation and reporting with Unitrends means that I am not spending a lot of time constantly managing the solution.
Unitrends has a very high value proposition relative to other backup solutions. Veeam at the time of evaluation was strictly limited to virtual systems, while Syncsort was too expensive. Symantec Backup Exec was very archaic in comparison to the intuitive UI of Unitrends, lacked many essential features at the time , and was just a software-based solution. Unitrends is an all-in-one solution that I believe can meet the needs of many customers.
Unitrends is well suited for heterogeneous environments that have a mix of physical and virtual hosts, as well as different operating systems. Less expensive solutions do exist for highly homogeneous environments that target a single specific platform. However, I would caution anyone to consider all current and future plans before buying a backup and recovery solution, as in this day and age, systems tend to change often and can lead you to a scenario in which a cheaper solution will not suffice.