Likelihood to Recommend
If you value integration over cost, Bamboo is clearly the way to go. It offers tight integration to the rest of the Atlassian suite, and when you need traceability from issue to build, Atlassian is the right way to go. However, if you find yourself needing to save on costs, you may consider taking an approach of rolling your own build system with open source alternatives, such as Jenkins, if you don't [mind] putting in a little extra elbow grease.
Engineer in Research & DevelopmentPharmaceuticals Company, 5001-10,000 employees
- Levels of granularity. Organization has many projects that have many build plans that have many jobs that have many tasks, etc. And branch builds allow source control branches to be built separately.
- Versatility. I can use bamboo to manage my Java, node, or .NET build plans. I can use it to spin up Windows or Linux build agents, or install it on a Mac to build there as well.
- Bamboo integrates with other Atlassian products like Bitbucket, Stash, JIRA, etc. If a company commits to the entire Atlassian stack then work can be tracked through the whole development lifecycle which is really useful.
- Extremely hard barrier to entry for non-backend developers
- Blackbox makes it hard to customize functionality
- The inability to add features without breaking core functionality
- No cloud solution
- Tasks cannot be put in if/else statements
- No clear right way to form build plans
Based on 2 answers
Bamboo was fairly easy to navigate but in the end it always felt as if it was developed as a bolt-on and not a true group up user interface. There were multiple ways to get to everything and the path was never the same. So it was difficult for users to really get a feel of how to use the application.
Based on 7 answers
Employee in Information TechnologyComputer Software Company, 1-10 employees
Return on Investment
- It helped us achieve the Continuous Deployment and Continuous Integration goals for our applications, a huge milestone that saved a lot of time for developers in making the builds and deployments and saved time for QA in running the automated tests.
- Helped with DevOps: we moved the formal approval from the email to the system and allowed the approver to actually push the button for the production deployments.
- Biggest positive impact of using Bamboo is that it improved our response time to customers and increased the frequency of our deliveries to them.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?