Emma Reviews

May 13, 2020
Emma is used for sending mass emails to our mailing lists. It is used across the whole organization and is used to promote specials or different items at our three social ventures as well as general updates through e-newsletters. It helps us to easily maintain an email list separate from our donor lists.
  • Easy to format newsletters.
  • Easy to update contacts.
  • Easy summaries of results.
  • Slow to load.
  • Could use some more variety for formatting.
  • I do wish it came with a easy-to-add widget to get users added to mailing list on our website.
Emma is well suited for anyone to be able to send mass emails to their audience. I would say my abilities as a marketer are average at best and I can still send out a pretty decent newsletter. It typically looks pretty good and is well received. It might not be the best tool for a true email marketing specialist but it works for me as an amateur.
February 11, 2020
Rebecca Cooke-Rodriguez | TrustRadius Reviewer
Emma is used as our HTML alert to our membership, to inform them of our legislative and regulatory initiatives and events.
  • User friendly
  • Economically priced for small companies
  • More widget options
  • Better customer service for basic users
Emma is great for small trade associations or companies looking to reach out to their members/customers/potential clients. It’s affordable, a bit more advanced than Constant Contact, has high quality output, and easily captures client information. You don’t need to pay for a custom template, but the option is there. It’s easy to learn and teach others who may not be as computer savvy.
Read Rebecca Cooke-Rodriguez's full review
January 14, 2019
Aaron Metzger | TrustRadius Reviewer
I worked with Emma with a large corporate client. The client had about 15-20 different email marketing platforms for different locations across the country, and it was a nightmare making sure the proper information was disseminated for each location effectively. After walking through the platform with Emma, we realized that the platform would be a perfect fit for an enterprise-level client with many locations. Each location can have different accounts tied into a parent account, and access granted per location, so every location is empowered to provide their own emails to their clients, as well as having oversight and capabilities to deliver from corporate. Definitely a game-changer for the brand.
  • Enterprise-level email marketing with multi-level account structure allowing for multiple users at different levels to send campaigns
  • Easy-to-use WYSIWYG email template editors to create dynamic emails with enhanced personalization through merge-fields
  • A large API index that connects to many different platforms and the ability to work with Emma support to create new connections to new platforms as needed
  • Getting started with the platform really requires Emma support, which costs money. If you're an enterprise client, the setup costs can be steep.
  • Automated work-flows aren't a simple to create as some platforms that focus heavily on that.
  • The CMS aspect of the platform is a little weak and probably not a great fit for SAAS or B2B clients
I would really recommend Emma to Enterprise clients more than anything. In most cases, there are other platforms that are easier and more cost effective for brands looking to begin or bolster email efforts. If you are an enterprise client that has multi-location businesses, then this is going to be a great fit for you.
Read Aaron Metzger's full review
January 14, 2019
Sarah Bandy | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Emma to keep in contact with our volunteers, campers, and donors through monthly marketing email updates. It addresses the problem of frequently touching base with our market group as well as having messaging match our branding, which is really important to us as an organization. It's mostly used by the Executive Director and Office Manager to design and send out our monthly updates.
  • Templates are easy to use. This functionality makes it super simple to make newsletters that look professional.
  • Managing the email lists is great. You can input email addresses easily.
  • I love the Lightbox on our home page of our website that automatically funnels email signups into a new list.
  • The categorization of email addresses is sometimes clumsy. I could potentially go in and recategorize, so that's not necessarily their issue, but it does have to be done individually as far as I can tell.
  • I'm usually kind of confused by the rating of the email after its sent. We get mid-range results. I know that I could probably take a video course in order to figure out how to improve the emails to have a better rating.
  • Sometimes our emails do go to Spam filters but not often.
Emma is awesome for organizations who wish to communicate with their donors, volunteers, or general supporters with an easily customizable email platform. It's a platform that is suited for folks that don't necessarily have lots of experience with mobile email design - Emma makes that really easy for you. You can also upload a ton of photos for your newsletters and the storage is seemingly endless.
Read Sarah Bandy's full review
December 14, 2018
Stefanie Cash | TrustRadius Reviewer
The marketing department needed an email marketing system that simplified automation - that led us to Emma. Emma is a simplified version of the most complex marketing automation software. We use Emma to trigger targeted messages to our database as well as easily segment our lists. A prior problem we experienced was difficulty segmenting lists, but Emma offers intuitive segmentation that keeps us organized
  • Segmentation
  • Automation
  • Easy A/B testing
  • Landing pages
  • Signup forms
  • Integrations
Apart from the cons which can be found in nearly every WYSIWYG email automation system, Emma provides advanced features using a simplified delivery. Emma is well suited for organizations who aspire to produce drip campaigns but get bogged down by the complexity some systems make it. Being able to easily automate based on activity takes the thought out of what needs to be done. Aside from automation, Emma is also suited for organizations who don't have time to properly segment their lists. Emma gives you real-time data with intuitive building options making segmentation a breeze.
Read Stefanie Cash's full review
November 17, 2018
Lauren Lloyd | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our development & communications team uses Emma to share important nonprofit organization news with our donors, partners, board, staff, and volunteers. It is one of our core methods of fundraising and communicating with our community.
  • As a nonprofit organization, we need the ability to automate email series for new subscribers and donors to further educate them on our mission, thank them for their support, and keep them engaged. Emma’s automated email tools make this so easy to set up.
  • We love how simple Emma makes creating e-blasts, as well as building and saving templates for future use.
  • Emma’s resources are incredible. They’ve taken the time to compile brilliant guides on everything you could possibly wonder about email marketing.
  • We have struggled with Salesforce integration and would love to see this ironed out.
  • The mobile and desktop views differ greatly on some of our templates, making it challenging to craft a design that works across all platforms.
  • While we love Emma’s simplicity, it would be nice to have more customization options at our fingertips.
Emma is a great option for email marketers who need a simple system that generates beautiful, modern emails. The analytics, while basic, are helpful to zero in on what our community is interested in. For a nonprofit organization, Emma works well for e-blasts and automated email series.
Read Lauren Lloyd's full review
May 02, 2018
Ashley Humphrey | TrustRadius Reviewer
We currently use Emma for our monthly marketing email to customers. It has provided an easy to use platform to keep customers informed about our latest news and promotions.
  • It's easy to add users. You can either upload an Excel spreadsheet or add them individually. Some platforms I've used in the past make it difficult to add and update users. Emma is the best I've used so far for this function.
  • Adding content is very user friendly. It's basically click and go which means I can have our newsletter ready in no time.
  • The up-to-date dashboard is a great overview of where your campaigns stand and also let you know where you rank in the larger community. It's nice to have a comparison to see how your campaign are doing.
  • I'd like to be able to remove a user instead of just opting them out. This would be useful when people leave a company to keep our numbers in check and accurate.
We needed a quick and easy e-newsletter tool and Emma was it. I placed a general inquiry email one day when I was home sick, but still working, and had a call back within an hour. We were set up and ready to go that night. I sent out our first newsletter the next day. As an international company just beginning US operations, it was important that we have a tool that was easy to use but also looked professional when the emails went out. Emma was all of those things. They built a custom template for me exactly to my specs. It was done quickly so we could use it immediately. I'd recommend Emma for any small or large business who needs a professional looking, yet easy to use tool for email marketing.
Read Ashley Humphrey's full review
April 24, 2018
Sara Meyer | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Emma as agency for all of my clients' eblasts. I find that it is user-friendly when it comes to creating beautiful, streamlined emails. One of the problems it addresses is the understanding how your eblasts are doing and if they need improvement. The reports that show all of the metrics are very helpful and easy to understand. This it makes it easier for us to communicate the scores and what they mean to the client each month.
  • Education: I love the webinars and emails I get with tips and tricks on how to improve my emails.
  • Support: All of my experiences have been very positive when contacting Emma with questions or issues I am having with an email.
  • Reporting: I love the metrics that it shows and that you can save the results very easily to keep record.
  • I wish there were more template options for more unique designs before having to go HTML.
Emma is great for both an individual account and for an agency. I cannot think of any situations where Emma is not suitable, with the exception that it is a pricier email option and some customers would not be able to justify that, but they just may not be your target audience.
Read Sara Meyer's full review
October 09, 2017
Dustin Brackett | TrustRadius Reviewer
Emma's dashboard isn't bad and the customer service was very good, but the actual email builder needs some work. We were a white label partner and we had issues with the email not looking the same when sent as it did in the builder. We have since moved to SendGrid.
  • Good amount of templates
  • Good customer service
  • Inconsistent display of email, even compared to builder
  • Deliverability wasn't perfect
Emma is definitely a better solution than the MailChimps and Constant Contacts of the world. I don't think their white label program is flushed out and definitely needs some work. They have a great amount of themed and special purpose email templates. That part of their system is awesome!
Read Dustin Brackett's full review
March 14, 2017
Toni Eftink | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are a digital agency and use Emma's agency account to provide our clients with a sophisticated mid-market solution for their email marketing. Some clients use the software on their own and for other clients we offer full service email services (we write, compile and send the email marketing) using Emma as the vechicle. We use Emma's software to send out our own email marketing, too.
  • First and foremost Emma practices what they preach and sends awesome email marketing. They are also extremely personable and helpful and are always available to answer questions and offer strategic advice.
  • The software is intuitive and easy to use.
  • The software provides sophisticated options for those ready to go beyond basic email marketing.
  • This is tiny, but the undo feature doesn't work in the editor which is pesky at times.
  • I'd like to see styles (on the editor drop down) added when getting custom templates.
  • I'd love to see the addition of conversations added to the software. Right now I manually add replies to emails to a custom field on the contact's record to keep track of that qualitative data.
Their team is awesome to work with. They genuinely care about their clients' success and invest in resources that help us succeed. I love that they take so much time in working to teach us how to do better email marketing. Of course they care a ton about their software, but they realize that it doesn't matter how awesome the software is if users aren't sending great messaging. I feel like they really listen to our feedback, too.
Read Toni Eftink's full review
March 21, 2017
Ashley Silver | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Emma to send out all of our e-blasts for our annual event. We design some of our own, as well as sell sponsored ones to our constituents. The only department that really utilizes it is myself, but we have a very small staff of less than 10 people. It helps us communicate much better with our seminar attendees.
  • They help with ease of template planning for emails.
  • They help us manage our email list.
  • Their customer service is very sweet and helpful.
  • We would love to be able to use our own fonts.
  • Wish I could do it through an app on my phone!
They are great for managing alerts to our session attendees...unfortunately our event is annual, so I would like to see how we can implement it year-round.
Read Ashley Silver's full review
October 05, 2016
Amber Klein | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use are an agency white labeler of Emma. So for our clients who are looking to run only an email marketing program, we use the Emma software. As I mentioned, we do white label this software.
  • Intuitive
  • Great templates
  • Reporting
  • Emma's functionality is somewhat different than other email platforms so it can take a little while to get use to and know how to set it up. I recommend reaching out to a customer service rep at Emma with any questions as they are super helpful.

This is the best white label option we've found. So if you are an agency looking to provide a white labeled email management system to your clients, I could not recommend Emma more highly. The pricing structure is based on total number of contacts rather than number of contacts for individual clients. So you do not pay based on the number of clients you have, it's just based on the number of total contacts for all clients together. Pricing is the most fair that I've found.

As a marketer, this tool is easy to use and straightforward. You should have no issues using the tool if you don't have crazy technical skills. Whether you're looking to send individual emails or set up workflows or both, this tool will help you do that.

Read Amber Klein's full review
December 21, 2018
Emma is an email software, similar to MailChimp, that helps create aesthetically gorgeous emails for our clients. While this isn't much different from other email clients, what is nice is that we can use it company-wide from one department to another. Emma has a platform that has campaign management as well as asset and template-sharing control. This means the people in marketing can put a design together and show it to our account executives before we review it with upper management. It's a big time saver.
  • Their templates are easy to edit and manipulate, we have a lot of 'non-designers' that are mostly code-monkeys, and it makes their job easier when they have to proverbially wear multiple hats.
  • Emma has the ability to test multiple subject lines – you can see where you get the most clicks. That makes our clients happy and targets our business.
  • It's competitive with MailChimp – a program we've been running into issues with. It's nice that there's other software out there we can jump to.
  • Their customer service leaves something to be desired. We ran into an issue with one of our campaigns, and we decided to reach out to support, but they didn't get back with us until 3 hours later! Time is money!!
  • We don't like that their photo editing capabilities are limited, you can only choose small, medium or large photos with no way to resize to exact dimensions. Makes emails a bit of a pain
  • The upgraded premium tools are buggy and leave something to be desired as well – it's a shame.
Emma allows our company to send out emails for pennies. This has been a huge savings that we're able to forward onto our clientele. It has basically been a great software program that has helped us utilize client emails and campaigns – not only that but tracking clicks and being able to determine the best [sales] course of action for our clients. Its pretty suitable for any size organization, preferably smaller, as it is very cost-effective compared to MailChimp, for example.
December 19, 2018
We have used Emma for automated email campaigns, drop campaigns, and email workflow management. While not the cheapest solution on the market, it provides some of the best tools and results.
  • Drip campaigns for email
  • Great email builder and integration with Litmus
  • Easy to read dashboard and metrics
  • Too expensive for some clients
  • Number of contacts included does not increase at each pricing tier.
Great for larger organizations or brands with a larger marketing budget. Many small companies prefer MailChimp for the free or much cheaper versions.
June 27, 2018
We use Emma for across the entire organization managed by our marketing team. We use it to keep our brand top of mind for our candidates and clients and to get them the job information they need in a fast and efficient way. This helps us tremendously in making placements and has consistently contributed revenue year after year.
  • Automates the process and allows for a workflow that can bring a personality to your brand while still being efficient in its delivery.
  • The analytics you receive after sending an email is unlike anything I've had before in my precious email marketing solutions.
  • A/B testing has been a huge advantage for us when it comes to design and subject lines because we are understanding what our customers gravitate towards which has improved our open rates.
  • When we have had some issues with our lists that we have imported, that support team's emails are always all jumbled and confusing. Not being able to just to call and talk it over is a huge disadvantage.
  • When we have a new team member getting trained on Emma, we have to pay Emma again to do a training -- our past solutions allowed us a rep since we already pay for the service that was available for new team member training. Instead, we just do the training ourselves but often miss new updates since we don't have someone informing us of better ways of using the product.
  • Often feel a bit left alone to figure out everything. The onboarding process was super extensive and awesome, but the person that did that process has now left our company and we wish we could do that again, but it would cost us more money even though we pay for the product.
If you are skilled in email marketing, this tool will help take you to the next level. If you are newer to it, the training can be fast and furious so you won't be able to utilize all the bells and whistles without paying for more training.
September 26, 2017
We use Emma to communicate with our donors and beneficiaries.
  • User-friendly
  • Good customer service
  • Good e-mail analytics
  • Sometimes templates can be limiting
Great for people who need to interact with customers or constituents.
April 04, 2017
We used Emma to write, design and send all of our email blasts to various constituent lists. It was used by the development (fundraising) department, as well as volunteers and marketing. It enabled us to send nice looking emails to large lists and refine our branding.
  • Extremely user friendly.
  • Email templates can be customized, it's easy to adjust colors, fonts, margins, photo sizes, etc.
  • Easy to segment lists and add or delete emails.
  • Works best for text, so it's a little harder to incorporate lots of visual elements.
  • Can't embed videos or gifs.
  • No way to streamline importing new emails from our database.
Very cost effective for our list size and what we were using it for (price increases based on number of emails sent each month).
March 20, 2017
Our marketing department used Emma for general newsletter and one off emails to relatively cold customer segments. The campaigns didn't have much support from our engineering team, so the goal of using Emma was to offer a non-technical email program to our marketing team. Our goal was mainly to drive leads for our sales team by sending additional information about our products to users who had opted in to receive emails from our company.
  • Sends basic newsletter and scheduled email campaigns
  • Easy email editing
  • Easy client list imports
  • At the time we used Emma, at least, the Salesforce integration was a bit complex.
In general, it's one of several popular email clients that's worth reviewing for any marketing uses (SendGrid and MailChimp being two other obvious ones). For us, the small scales of our campaigns meant MailChimp was a bit more economical and we found it a bit easier to use at the time. Emma seems to have recently improved its drip email features as well, so it's quite possibly just as good or better than MailChimp at this point.
March 17, 2017
I use Emma for email marketing services for my clients. I rely heavily on the concierge services. I am a designer and love having Emma's savvy technical and production support to help give my clients full-service email marketing.
  • Emma's capabilities, services and integrations are the most thorough I have seen in this industry.
  • Their Resources section is top-notch creatively and they are quite generous, probably the most generous thought leaders in the industry across the nation.
  • Great pricing structure. Economical and helpful to my very small client base.
  • Just a little bit with crashing. It's occurred twice in the last month.
October 30, 2015
Emma is used by the marketing department on behalf of the broker departments to send property flyers to other brokers in the area, to share company wins and announcements with our clients and for email list collection from our website.
  • Variety of template options
  • Easy to navigate website
  • Platform that integrates emails and database management
  • Slow and unresponsive customer service
  • Repetitive technology issues with certain services on the site
  • Lack of shortcuts between pages
One key question I would ask is how much customization of the templates is needed. We designed our own templates and had some difficulty to get them to work consistently and customer service seemed stretched too thin to help fix our issues. If you can use the Emma templates, then there shouldn't be much [of an] issue.

WYSIWYG email editor (23)
Dynamic content (25)
Ability to test dynamic content (24)
A/B testing (23)
Mobile optimization (28)
Email deliverability reporting (32)
List management (30)
Triggered drip sequences (20)
Dashboards (29)
9.4
Standard reports (30)
Custom reports (18)

What is Emma?

Emma, a Campaign Monitor company since the summer 2018 merger, provides email marketing software and services that help organizations of all sizes get more from their marketing. The platform is available in editions that are tailored for businesses, franchises, retailers, universities and agencies. The vendor’s value position is that they aim to offer enterprise level capabilities in a team-friendly experience that's simple and enjoyable. Key features include: mobile-ready design templates, email automation, audience segmenting and dynamic content. The software includes integration with top CRM solutions, ecommerce platforms and social networks. Headquartered in Nashville, and with offices in Portland, New York and Melbourne, Emma powers the emails of more than 45,000 organizations worldwide, including Mario Batali, Bridgestone and Sylvan Learning Center.