Very happy with our FlashArray
Overall Satisfaction with Pure Storage FlashArray
- Deduplication and compression are a definite strong point for Pure. We see on average 6:1 data reduction across our environment.
- Ease of use. FlashArray is very simple to use. Managing block storage has gone from a full-time job to almost an afterthought for us. There is no more monitoring and tuning on a daily basis for best performance. A simple look at the Pure1 dashboard is all it takes to get a picture of all of our arrays' health. Setting up new volumes and replication is super easy and it takes only a few clicks.
- Hardware and Software upgrades. We have done two controller swaps, one from the FA series to the M series and another from the M series to the X series. Both times were full-time our environment with zero downtime. They also took very little time, ~4 hours to complete. Drive and shelf upgrades are equally as quick, require no downtime and zero configuration. Software updates are performed remotely by Pure are also seamless.
- The performance had really helped our day to day business processes. Run time of daily processing jobs has reduced significantly.
- The dedupe and compression have really helped with the amount of storage buys we have had to do over the last 4 years. We have a lot of headroom for growth with the amount of raw storage we have purchased.
- The Pure Storage FlashArray has not had a single second of downtime in the 4 years we have had it. This kind of reliability is almost unheard of.
My department has definitely benefited from both the ease of use and low maintenance of FlashArray. We have a small, four-person staff to manage our data center. In the past, I was the only person that had any experience with storage, making storage management a single point of failure for our organization. The ease of use of Pure allowed all of the other admins to now manage the arrays with minimal training, freeing me up to focus on other areas that need my attention.
The lot maintenance has also been a big plus for us. The day-to-day really just involves watching the free space to make sure we aren't creeping up to a point where we need to add space. We can check this from the Pure1 dashboard on our PC's or mobile devices. For us, block storage has gone from a full-time job to an afterthought.
With EMC, to add more disk we would have had to add more bricks which could result in downtime. With Pure Storage, they can add a shelf and configure it in less time than it takes to remove it from the box. Replication was also a big factor. With Pure Storage, it's built in with no extra cost. EMC would have required us to also buy Recoverpoint which would have almost tripled the initial buy-in.
- When we were still evaluating Pure Storage FlashArray, we had to use it as a data lifeboat for all the LUNs on our Vmax when an SRM failover test left all the LUNs with invalid signatures and some of the VMware hosts were unable to talk to them. The only recourse was to format the LUNs, but we had to do something with the data. We were able to put it all on Pure while we formatted them. Despite filling the disk on that eval box, it never skipped a beat and delivered sub-millisecond latency and outstanding performance. We were able to reconfigure the Vmax and suffered zero downtime.