All-in with RStudio
Updated June 30, 2023
All-in with RStudio
Analyst in Research & DevelopmentComputer Software Company, 1001-5000 employees
Score 10 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Posit
RStudio products are used across multiple departments in our organization, including the research, IT, and data science business units. Our work largely involves analyzing clinical and supply-chain data to improve quality of patient care and to reduce excess cost in the healthcare system. This work can include predicting patient outcomes based on clinical and demographic data, predicting supply shortages, and estimating under- or over-utilization of hospital resources.
- RStudio provides an integrated product suite for both model development and deployment to end users.
- RStudio provides an open-source version of its products to ensure accessibility to all users
- The RStudio Connect (Shiny) platform is an incredible tool for quickly making statistical models, documents, apis, and enriched data available to end users.
- RStudio could consider an archetype tool within the RStudio IDE. This would be similar to a Maven archetype, where the user identifies the type of work they are doing and the tool would generate a series of directories and the project scaffolding (based on best practices) to springboard a larger project.
- It would be nice to see the files in a directory tree similar to Intellij. This would prevent the constant drilling in and out of directories in a larger project.
- Positive: Quickly making analysis available to end users (in a secure manner). This cannot be emphasized enough. We recently had an issue in production that caused a customers data to be invalid. There was a board report due based on this data, and we were able to rebuild the report and deploy it over the weekend and have the report available to them (in an interactive way).
- Positive: With the Shiny tool, we are able to receive buy-in from our stake holders much more quickly. In a recent example, we deployed a prototype in Shiny and were able to quickly iterate with that team until it was in its final state. This allowed the development team a tangible application to reproduce in production and to validate against.
- Positive: Our company has over 35 SAS users, and we have migrated all of our code to R (using RStudio products). With RStudio products, we are recognizing considerable savings in the transition.
We have considered other editors for R, but no other editor is as feature rich as RStudio. Since RStudio makes an open-source version of their products available, we were able to increase adoption within the organization with zero risk and zero cost and buy into the commercial versions of the tools to use on an enterprise scale once we were comfortable with its capabilities.
Do you think Posit delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Posit's feature set?
Did Posit live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of Posit go as expected?
Would you buy Posit again?
RStudio is the only feature-rich R IDE in the industry, so for the majority of our work, we will use the IDE. There are times when we deploy our scripts outside of the IDE. A recent example was when we had a large amount of data that was too much for the IDE itself. We used the IDE to write a script and then deployed that script outside of the IDE to multiple servers. It would be helpful if we could run a single script across multiple servers based on defined partition.
Posit Feature Ratings
Connect to Multiple Data Sources
Extend Existing Data Sources
Automatic Data Format Detection
Interactive Data Analysis
Interactive Data Cleaning and Enrichment
Multiple Model Development Languages and Tools
Single platform for multiple model development
Self-Service Model Delivery
Flexible Model Publishing Options
Security, Governance, and Cost Controls