Overall Satisfaction with ConnectWise Control (formerly ScreenConnect)
We use ScreenConnect in the support department, for two purposes - troubleshooting and training. It allows us to speed up the process of troubleshooting when clients call in to the support line with problems or questions that can't easily be answered without seeing what they're actually doing. From a training perspective, it's a useful tool when delivering remote training, as it allows our staff to clearly and easily demonstrate elements of the system without having to spend too long in dry descriptions.
- It's quick and simple to get started with a session - there's very little wasted time between acknowledging the requirement for a screen sharing session and getting up and running.
- From an agent perspective it's incredibly useful to have visibility on which other agents are running sessions, how long sessions have been running and whether users are connected at the other end. Being able to see this level of detail at a glance helps when trying to juggle multiple agents needing access at the same time (and is something our previous supplier didn't offer).
- We like the ability to brand the tool, so that it's in keeping with our design values. Clients who call in and require screen sharing sessions are often not very technologically savvy and/or anxious for their questions to be answered, so anything that helps them feel comfortable is a bonus.
- As with every screen sharing tool which allows agents to take control of clients' computers, there can be problems with clients being able to download the necessary app. A number of our clients belong to local authorities and have to conform to council IT policies, which can be restrictive with things like firewall settings...in which case we're not always able to use ScreenConnect.
- I've not always found the help centre documentation to be the clearest - some of the customisation tools are quite difficult to understand at first, and it would be helpful for the documentation to be a little clearer. Ideally it would be good to have some simple examples for regular use cases, in case it's not necessary to drill down into the more complex functionality.
- To be honest, we were already using a rival screen sharing tool before we started using ScreenConnect. We chose to make a change because ScreenConnect has a better feature set, and is actually cheaper than the alternative - so there's been a positive impact in terms of reduced costs.
- In addition, we've found it to be quicker and more intuitive than our old solution, which has led to efficiency improvements.
- As mentioned before, being able to monitor who's using each licence and how long each session has been running has allowed us to plan our usage more effectively too.
I'd rather not specify the tool we were using before, as I don't want to be overtly disparaging. In terms of comparing the two tools however, ScreenConnect is easier for both agents and clients to use; has a stronger feature set; is considerably more customisable, and is still more cost effective.
From a support perspective, sharing a user's screen is particularly helpful when speaking to someone who isn't entirely familiar with the software they're using as users can demonstrate what they're doing/where they're getting stuck, while agents are able to clearly demonstrate a solution or an explanation. We find ScreenConnect to be useful under these circumstances, extending to being even more helpful with more complex cases as it allows agents to do things like taking screenshots of the user's computer and transferring them without the need for emails etc, or transferring files from one computer to another. We haven't really come across any situations where it's not appropriate to use ScreenConnect.
ConnectWise Control Feature Ratings
Using ConnectWise Control (formerly ScreenConnect)
6 - Mostly it's line managers who provide support, and all that's really required is a bit of experience with the tool. It's not complicated.
- Supporting clients with day to day requests
- Holding external client meetings
- We use it for very simple purposes, and as far as I'm aware haven't experimented with it in any unusual ways.
It's an excellent tool which serves the purpose we need - to facilitate screen sharing where a support call isn't enough to solve a problem. While we've found some clients aren't able to connect - largely because there are restrictions upon them downloading and running external programs - for the most part this works well and helps make what would otherwise be a difficult job that bit simpler.
Evaluating ConnectWise Control and Competitors
Yes - We were previously using LogMeIn as our screen sharing solution. We looked for an alternative solution which would provide additional functionality and a more cost effective solution for scaling our usage as our needs grew and as our team increased in size over time.
- Product Features
Ultimately the key factor was price, as we needed a solution which could scale as we grew - i.e. we could add licenses as our client base and team size increased - without penalising us with prohibitive costs.