My view on Crazy Egg

May 24, 2018
In a process of understanding user journey on the website - we have thought of seeking a help of a tool which gives complete information …

Very powerful

September 23, 2016
Crazy Egg is a powerful suite of tools to explore users' in-page interactions. It shows clicks and scrolling activity by heatmaps and …

Big Value and Small Headaches!

November 11, 2015
Crazy Egg is an important tool for our PPC and SEO campaigns. We use it to engage in CRO opportunities and help clients get a better …

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Crazy Egg, and make your voice heard!

per month

What is Crazy Egg?

Crazy Egg is a heat map web analytics product.

Crazy Egg Video

Crazy Egg 101

Crazy Egg Integrations

Crazy Egg Competitors

Crazy Egg Technical Details

What is Crazy Egg?

Crazy Egg is a heat map web analytics product.

What is Crazy Egg's best feature?

Reviewers rate Usability highest, with a score of 10.

Who uses Crazy Egg?

The most common users of Crazy Egg are from Mid-sized Companies (51-1,000 employees) and the Marketing & Advertising industry.

Meredith Walter | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Easy implementation on site.
  • Easy to understand visual reporting.
  • Easy (and fast) set up.
  • Great UX and UI within the tool.
  • I wish there was more customer support to lean on for test ideas and how to use the tool to our advantage. I'm sure there is a ton of value we haven't unlocked yet.
  • Sometimes the test set up for different devices is a little clunky.
  • On our sites, we have a ton of pop-ups. Despite checking off the "omit pop-ups" on the test set up, we still capture the pop up on the page's image which can cover up a ton of retail space to analyze.
Aaron Treguboff | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Heat mapping! Essential--you having a solid heat mapping software that shows where people are scrolling and what they are doing on your website is reason enough to get this software!
  • Oh, you want more reasons? Well, what about A/B page testing...
  • Still more? Okay, last one--recordings of actually sessions from visitors, so you can watch exactly what they are doing and see where they are getting hung up on your website or in some cases, things they are looking to click on that you didn't realize was important to end users!
  • Ahh, I honestly can't think of anything. All the features work as you expect. If I had to be super picky, the recording videos could use some deeper filter options.
Sanjit Mandal | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Website interaction details (confetti, heatmap, overlay, and scroll map).
  • A/B testing.
  • Record visitor interactions with the website.
  • A month to month plan.
  • Special trail or discounted rate for entrepreneurs or new website owners.
  • Phone support.
  • More "how to" YouTube videos.
May 25, 2018

CrazyEgg Review

• Easy implementation
  • High level, visual reports
  • Low cost
  • Not enough detail in reporting.
  • Does not have aggregate reports that are usable in decision making.
  • Interface issues and slow updates.
  • Heatmap and scroll maps are definitely the biggest asset for Crazy Egg and this helps every marketer/business user to think a lot about the website and of course! this is the selling point for them too
  • Confetti feature is the 2nd and yes more important feature for someone who loves to compare user data with visits on the website. One need not go web analytics tools for other information as Confetti feature does most things happen
  • Overlay feature lets the user see clicks on every segment of the page with overall visits and LIVE visits.
  • Funnel analysis is definitely a missing feature and has to be initiated as users journey across pages is more important to understand and detailed view of conversion rate is important to analyze for any business user. As we live in the world of conversion rate
Kyle Brice | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Tracking page scroll, e.g. how far users are willing to scroll down the page.
  • Click tracking with visual heat mapping of results, identifying the most clicked on aspects of a site.
  • Mouse tracking, to determine which aspects users may be hovering over but not clicking, or aspects that users are having a hard time finding.
  • The free version only allows you track a limited number of pages.
  • Gathering statistical significance takes 30+ days, so to get actionable results you may have to run tracking software for multiple months.
  • The data doesn't always contain context. While the data is quantitative, sometimes you have to makes assumptions about user intent.
  • Does have the ability to slow down page load time, which is really only an issue if your site is already experiences page load speed issues.
  • Crazy Egg does a good job in helping us visualize users' page activity.
  • Helps us see how a user views a page.
  • Saves snapshots and results of pages so we can compare results and export them.
  • Easy to add to pages using WordPress.
  • The interface is confusing sometimes, especially if you have a lot of snap shots of pages running or stopped. It takes time to find the snapshot you need.
  • Results should be taken with a grain of salt and use other solutions to back it up.
  • It would be nice if they had more feature that suggests improvements to your page.
Gitai Ben-Ammi | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Click Mapping - it is valuable to know where visitors are clicking and Crazy Egg does this.
  • Scroll Mapping - I think this may actually be even more valuable. There's often a bias toward very long pages and being able to clearly show how this is damaging the ability to have a visitor receive the message has really helped our designers reorient expectations.
  • Segmentation - In addition to mapping clicks, Crazy Egg does a good job of differentiating who has been clicking where based on technology, new/return visitors, and other visitor properties.
  • Single Page Applications - if you have a single page application, it's difficult to get the click mapping to work for anything beyond the first view of that page. You need to be able to add very specific code, which detracts from the otherwise easy use of the tool.
  • Exports - Exports take a really long time and are necessary as your ability to have teammates log in is extremely constrained by the pricing model.
  • Responsive Pages - I recognize this is a big ask, but I'd like to be able to see how things are clicked when the page is in a different configuration. It's not served in the same manner on a phone as on a desktop, so seeing the snapshot reflect that configuration and the appropriate clicks would be great.
  • Provides heatmaps that shows you the elements on your site that are and aren't performing well.
  • Provides scrollmaps so you can see how far down a page users are scrolling and which content never gets seen.
  • Screenshots show you how your website looks across a variety of different devices.
  • Provides a type of clickmap called confetti that enables you visualise clicks by segments - device, new/returning visitors, campaigns and other metrics.
  • Visualisations are limited - CrazyEgg doesn't offer attention maps or mousemove maps like some products.
  • Screenshots can take the better part of a day to generate. If you've got large traffic and want quick insights, CrazyEgg isn't the right tool.
  • No automation - if you want to run a set of heatmaps regularly to keep track of frequently changing content, this needs to be done manually.
  • No integrations with A/B testing tools, which would be very helpful.
  • Customer support experiences haven't been great. All requests seem to be managed by one person, who isn't interested in helping fix bugs and is generally unhelpful.
  • Easy integration. When we first started Crazy Egg, I was able to quickly and easily add it to our tag manager.
  • Quick setup and live URL testing to make sure test is properly working. There's no guessword; I plug in the URL and it does the work!
  • It's a simple software to use for quick information about how user's are interacting with our site. I don't have to jump through a lot of hoops to get to the data.
  • The largest thing we've struggled with is the Optimizely integration. I've contacted customer service a few times to get it properly setup. Customer Service is always friendly and helpful; they provide clear steps to get it setup. Unfortunately despite clear instructions, they are tedious, and if not completed in the correct order, the integration with Optimizely does not work. My success rate with the integration is less than 55%.
  • Shows hot spots of content
  • Adds extra value to client's campaigns
  • Provides data driven recommendations for CRO
  • The export of the snapshot link is time sensitive and not that easy to present to clients
  • I wish it could be integrated into other dashboards
  • The plans are kind of expensive
  • Using Crazy Egg on homepages help show our clients what visitors are clicking on or NOT clicking on. The detailed Reports that Crazy Egg gives make our jobs easier when convincing a client to change layout or design or content and maybe try an A/B test in the future.
  • We Use Crazy Egg on internal Landing pages as well to see how visitors are reacting to them. Again, The detailed Reports that Crazy Egg gives make our jobs easier when convincing a client to change layout or design or content and maybe try an A/B test in the future.
  • Downloading the reports is very easy today and easy to view with the client. Also the new user interface to set up test is very easy to use.
  • The Overlay feature is very cool but hard to read sometimes and hard to share with clients using screen shots.
Chris Grant | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Shows where people click
  • For some reports, allows segmentation of visitors --- by browser, time of day, referrer, etc.
  • Shows how far down people scroll
  • Has numeric output (the List report) as well as a visual heat map
  • In our testing, it's become clear that CE doesn't capture all clicks. Not sure why some are missed. This may not be a huge problem since you really want to get a few thousand visits before doing any analysis, and since the missed clicks seem to be random, I think the end result will be perfectly all right.
  • I'd like to see just the visitor's FIRST click on a given page, as one of the alternative views.
  • Better and more detailed documentation on how the tracking actually works. There is some confusion about whether the screen coordinates of the click are tracked, or the element being clicked on. The former method seems to be used in the Heat and Confetti views and can get thrown off significantly by different screen aspect ratios and resolutions. The Overlay and List views seem to be based on the element being clicked on, and these views disregard clicks that don't happen in a hot area. A detailed explanation, with implications for different site technologies (responsive, tabs, other dynamic elements) would be really helpful for a minority of customers to whom this is critical.
  • Scroll map is nice but not really useful because it doesn't take into account where the fold is for the individual visitor. At least, I don't think it does (see previous comment about technical documentation). Great additions would be seeing the average fold line for all viewers, AND being able to segment like the Confetti View does. Also, it's not clear whether the scroll is measuring the middle point or the bottom of what's on their screen.
Duncan Lawrence | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Simple set-up
  • Easy-to-understand reports
  • It has both heatmaps and click tracking
  • Slowly creeping prices
  • Subscription may quickly be expended depending on how popular the page is that is being tracked
  • Limited number of snapshots can run simultaneously
  • It allowed us to see that users were hovering around particular images and were attempting to click, but because of our lack of links on the images, they were taken nowhere. With that information, we added links to the images which caused us to see a noticeable increase in signups.
  • Crazy Egg also allowed us to see that a lot of user attention was being focused on a very small portion of the content on our website. By expanding that content and enlarging the space that it occupied, we were able to provide a more pleasant experience for our users.
  • Finally, Crazy Egg showed us that some content was just in the wrong place because users were not interested in it whatsoever in relation to other content on the page. We were able to move this content to better locations which increased user participation and viewership.
  • For the given problem that Crazy Egg is trying to provide, it did an excellent job.
  • It would be nice to see information consolidated with Google Analytics so that we can have a one-stop dashboard of website analytics for our site. However, this would require substantial integration with Google Analytics and is understandable that it is not yet available.
  • It would be good to see general trends of movement rather than just hot spot highlights. In other words, allow me to see the mouse trace for one particular user across the page as a series of lines and curves to different areas. This would allow us to easily spot how attention flows throughout the page.
Leann Manning | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Creates an easy to understand visual of user data.
  • Provides the option to test areas of a site that would normally be difficult to obtain data for.
  • Easily shows stakeholders issues without a lot of documentation.
  • The PageCamera application is a bit difficult to use.
  • PageCamera does not wait for javascript to load on the page which often means ares of the site are missing in screenshots
  • It's helpful to present data to the VPs in a visual manner. It's a lot easier to get their buy-in on the success (or not) of site design.
  • Playing around with the confetti filter is fascinating -- it's insightful to learn how different segments behave differently.
  • My favorite part is reviewing where on a page customers expect hyperlinks. Sometimes, it's not where you'd think. This is an easy problem to fix, but without CrazyEgg we wouldn't know it WAS a problem.
  • The program claims to be click tracking but it appears to over-report click-throughs if links are more than once on a page. I want to know who is clicking on the link on the TOP of the page vs. the BOTTOM of the page.
  • CrazyEgg struggles to report on pages that have tabs or drop-downs. (Or maybe I just don't set it up correctly). If you want to know information about what they clicked on when they went to re-sort information (by title? by price?) this tool isn't as good to tell you that.
  • I get frustrated when my snapshot runs out of views. I can't really complain, though, for the $20 a month I spend. If I could spend a small amount more to upgrade just one snapshot (ie our homepage) I would do it, but at this point it's not worth the jump in the price from one package to the next.
  • I wish that I could resort some of the filter selections on the confetti map (for example, it would be interesting to view "time to click" as it relates to seconds vs. just which segment was most popular).
Amber Steinert | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Crazy Egg allows you to see where people clicked from whatever source they came from. Whether it is organic or a referral site, these specific clicks can be measured in that particular page being tracked.
  • The scroll down tracker is an effective and efficient tool to understand how your users operate. Some demographics do not scroll at all, while others will scroll to the bottom of the page no matter how long it is. This information can them be applied to formatting the website to best accommodate your target viewer.
  • Crazy Egg gives a company, at least this one, plenty of views for the entire month! I can't remember the exact amount off the top of my head, but I believe it's 200,000 views. When tracking views on a specific site, you can also specify how many views you would like. For example: If I would like to track a website homepage for one week and it receives 200,000 visitors in one week, obviously I do not want to track them all. I can cut it off at 10,00 views and Crazy Egg will automatically stop the tracking for me.
  • I would say overall Crazy Egg is a great tool, but one additional thing I would like made is an archive tool. Archiving Crazy Egg by hand, which was my job, is quite the tedious task, but once it is done, we have those records forever. We can look back and see how our holiday campaign did the last few years with what worked and what didn't, but I wish I was able to archive these on the website. Maybe not even necessarily on the website, but be able to have an archive tool so I would not have to download each page being tracked one by one. I guess what I am trying to get at is some form of excel documentation that would download in the same form every time. This way it could be copied and pasted into a general excel spreadsheet if people desired to archive their findings.
  • Being able to track over 200,000 visits would be nice with just the basic Crazy Egg. You are able to upgrade for more space, but that costs more as well. Although I completely understand why it is limited. But the pricing is quite the bargain considering all that you receive!
  • The tech support is great! But it seems like they are understaffed. I haven't had many issues with it and the company seems to respond quickly even if they are short staffed. They have treated the company very well.