Optimizely is a website optimization platform, providing A/B and multivariate testing. It enables users with and without technical expertise to make dynamic changes to their websites, test the variations to live traffic and gather immediate results.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/nE/W8/NPJ6TVND0MJQ.PNGOptimizely Is The Industry LeaderOptimizely provides start-of-the-art infrastructure for running split-and-multivariate content testing on websites & apps. I have seen Optimizely used cross-organizationally, usually implemented by Engineering and utilized by a Product and/or Marketing. Testing can be targeted to ad campaigns, segmented based on visitor type, or started by more complex, programmatic triggers. By utilizing Optimizely, organizations can test and iterate how content changes affect Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). It provides best-in-class tools to setup testing & customization, as well as tracking it's effectiveness. I have several clients that have utilized Optimizely in the past, with one client that still uses it.,Optimizely makes it extremely easy to setup almost any type of split or multi-variate testing experiment. It has a variety of test triggers types & many ways to segment incoming visitors. I believe Optimizely's results dashboard is one of the best among split testing software. It allowed my team to get insights into the running of tests, like time to significance and a view of metric changes over time. Optimizely is very easy to use for non-engineers. It has a powerful visual interface that allows marketers and advertisers to setup complex variations without 1 line of code. In terms of documentation and implementation, I believe Optimizely is ahead of its competitors in terms of its focus on reliability and speed.,Optimizely is now very expensive. It's pricing models have change a lot over the time I have used it. Now, it has many different plans with no pricing online. I believe the interface for setting up experiment goals could use improving. Sometimes, there is friction with adding pre-created metrics if you don't remember exactly what they were tracking. Wish the dashboard had more of awareness of funnels and more funnel-specific reporting.,9,Optimizely is only worth the money if you have a decent amount of traffic and some manpower dedicated to testing. If your organization doesn't have the resources to iterate on tests, you probably won't achieve full value from this tool. Because the tool is expensive, I feel that large organizations with massive advertising and/or social footprints would benefit the best from Optimizely. Optimizely can allow gradual rollouts of new features with advanced analytics, giving key stakeholders visibility into client traction with new content rollout.,VWO, Google Ads (formerly AdWords), Leanplum, Unbounce and Instapage,Laravel PHP Framework, UnbounceKick-ass if you've got a budget!I am using Optimzely with multiple clients in order to battle test marketing messages for relevancy to their potential client base. I am also constantly pushing personalization of the customer experience, which Optimizely helps me to achieve, and in large numbers. With a few clients, I am also using it to test and push new product features to ensure optimum customer delight!,Battle testing marketing messages. Personalization to prospects and customers. Product feature testing. Their user experience in Bang On!,I've had some bugs with the preview tool. Their cost structure sucks for small businesses - they seem to be aiming for more medium to enterprise-sized customers who need scale. Analytics are a bit weak as it applies to user retention.,10,I've had nothing but positive ROI for clients. As much as 200% increase in prospect to a client due to rockin' messaging optimization and improvement, as well as personalization.,Apptimize, Adobe Target and Monetate,Zoom Video Webinar, Backblaze, HubSpot CRMPlease A/B test this review!We use Optimizely for all of our A/B webpage testing across both our main website and any campaign landing pages. Only the Marketing department uses this tool. We use Optimizely to test out theories in order to see their effect on conversion rates and other relevant KPI's.,It makes it easy to set up the A/B testing parameters and allow us to focus on running multiple tests. We love the ability to exclude audiences so that the test data is as pure as possible We like the interface since its easy to see what version is "winning",There is a bit of a learning curve with the interface, it's not that intuitive day 1. You will need a web dev to help get these tests set up. It is not easy enough for a non-tech person to do.,8,It has a positive ROI overall on the organization. It has saved us from lowering our conversion rates due to the data we get from the test results.,Acquia Lift,Google Analytics Premium, Drupal, Acquia Platform, Marketo,3,2,To test an element to increase the conversion rate on a specific page. To prove (or disprove) with data the idea that a person may have to "improve" a web page. To see the impact of what a small change could have and at times be surprised how much something like a color change can affect user behavior.,Finding out what "little things" can do to move the needle and make a difference in the performance of a page.,Use it for ongoing personalization of content based on either 1st or 3rd party data. Testing new elements to increase time on site or click troughs to content pieces.,8Great Tool for CRO ProgramsWhen we first implemented Optimizely, I was the only one using it to run tests. As I gained momentum and other members of the marketing team, management and customer service became familiar with the platform and possibilities, they began contributing to the testing backlog and even running tests themselves.,It's simple to integrate with any website, one tag in the header and you're good to go in a few minutes! The interface to set up experiments is easy to use for simple experiments, just about anyone who can use a computer can set up an experiment in the Optimizely editor. Their new Stats Engine they realeased a few years back allows marketers to declare a winner sooner (with a smaller required sample size) than traditional statistics would allow.,While it's great they offer a free version, technical support for more difficult experiment set up is unavailable unless you are an enterprise level member. Optimizely has a synchronous tag, which means it cannot be added to a website using Google Tag Manager (>90% of all sites using a TMS use GTM so this affects most users.) I'm sure most of us mathletes would appreciate a more in depth explanation of the statistics used in their new Stats Engine. I did a lot of digging when it was first released and wasn't able to get answers from their support team. It's great to be able to test more rapidly but understanding the maths behind the decision engine is paramount - or your essentially flying blind.,10,ROI is always positive - because it's free! I've run some experiments with estimated uplift in annual revenue of over $0.5MM (or an additional 2.2% revenue). It's a great tool to use for team-building. Everyone can have input to a CRO program - I prefer to send out a Google form to an entire company to allow anyone to submit ideas to the backlog.,Yoast Wordpress SEO Plugins, AdRoll,2,7,CRO Quick fixes for website bugs or errors, last minute updates etc. Marketing,One year we ran a countdown timer on the site navigation, it really boosted conversions One time we tested adding an additional checkout button on the shopping cart and saw a rediculous increase in conversion rate It ended up beating a great training tool for new employees learning about statistics and the science behind CRO,I would really use it for anything that comes up, it’s a great training tool for those starting out and in a pinch when a developer’s not around for emergency updates.,10I'm Optimistic about OptimizelyI've primarily used Optimizely for it's A/B testing functionality. Within my last 3 roles, Optimizely has been a key MarTech tool within the marketing and demand gen teams. Recently, we've began using the web personalization feature, which enables us to provide specific customers, either geolocalically, returning customers, etc, with results personalized on their data.,A/B Testing: To run an A/B test through Optimizely is incredibly simple when compared to other tools. And if you're using WordPress, it's even more easy as they have a plugin that enables you to use the tool directly through the CMS. Simple personalization: There is no need to hire/contract a full stacked developer to create a website that can personalize for visitors; Optimizely enables you to do simple personalizations. And from a B2B perspective, we didn't want to put all our eggs in the basket on personalization, so Optimizely enabled us to test it out. Display of Data: The graphs that you get are simple and easy to understand. And with their "Always Valid' analytics promise, I feel like I'm seeing the correct data at all times.,While I love the personalization feature on desktop, we have encountered glitches with the function on mobile. There are times where it slows down mobile speed, won't load correctly, or doesn't work. The visual editor is easy to use, but I do often become flustered with lag time on changes, or just being unable to format something the way I want it. The audience targeting is helpful for getting things off and running, but you have to make sure it's formatted correctly, or else you have to start over, or update manually.,8,Positive: ROI is high. We started seeing results based on A/B testing within a month and with personalization within two months. Negative: While it is easy to use and implement, there is a learning curve that requires testing and some reading/video watching to full utilize the tool. Negative: Our mobile performance did see a slight dip in traffic and increase in bounce rate as we encountered glitches on mobile.,Evergage, VWO and Unbounce,Sitecore Web Content Management, SpyFu, Brightcove, BrightEdge
Optimizely

Optimizely Reviews

Optimizely
TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019
Filter 253 vetted Optimizely reviews and ratings

Alec Dibble profile photo
January 11, 2019

User Review: "Optimizely Is The Industry Leader"

• Optimizely makes it extremely easy to setup almost any type of split or multi-variate testing experiment. It has a variety of test triggers types & many ways to segment incoming visitors.
  • I believe Optimizely's results dashboard is one of the best among split testing software. It allowed my team to get insights into the running of tests, like time to significance and a view of metric changes over time.
  • Optimizely is very easy to use for non-engineers. It has a powerful visual interface that allows marketers and advertisers to setup complex variations without 1 line of code.
  • In terms of documentation and implementation, I believe Optimizely is ahead of its competitors in terms of its focus on reliability and speed.
  • Optimizely is now very expensive. It's pricing models have change a lot over the time I have used it. Now, it has many different plans with no pricing online.
  • I believe the interface for setting up experiment goals could use improving. Sometimes, there is friction with adding pre-created metrics if you don't remember exactly what they were tracking.
  • Wish the dashboard had more of awareness of funnels and more funnel-specific reporting.
I think Optimizely is a great fit for data-driven organizations that can afford a top-of-the-line testing tool. With Optimizely, you can be sure that performance and reliability will never be an issue with your site. Some split testing solutions can change the end-user experience, but I have had no issues with Optimizely. It is expensive, but provides tools for both engineers & non-engineering departments to implement, run & analyze tests.
Read Alec Dibble's full review
Sylvia Flores profile photo
January 10, 2019

Optimizely Review: "Kick-ass if you've got a budget!"

• Battle testing marketing messages.
  • Personalization to prospects and customers.
  • Product feature testing.
  • Their user experience in Bang On!
  • I've had some bugs with the preview tool.
  • Their cost structure sucks for small businesses - they seem to be aiming for more medium to enterprise-sized customers who need scale.
  • Analytics are a bit weak as it applies to user retention.
This tool is really robust. It is great for mid to large companies with a marketing budget. This is not going to be friendly for bootstrapped small businesses or startup. They really need to change that, because who better to use this tool than a startup to determine their messaging through testing? This is a fundamentally awesome tool for A/B testing messages and for personalization. Also, determining if a feature that you are purchasing is a good feature for your customers or a bad one. Overall, I would give Optimzely a B+/A-. I really want this for my small clients. It kicks ass.
Read Sylvia Flores's full review
Brian Nizinsky profile photo
January 11, 2019

Optimizely: "Please A/B test this review!"

• It makes it easy to set up the A/B testing parameters and allow us to focus on running multiple tests.
  • We love the ability to exclude audiences so that the test data is as pure as possible
  • We like the interface since its easy to see what version is "winning"
  • There is a bit of a learning curve with the interface, it's not that intuitive day 1.
  • You will need a web dev to help get these tests set up. It is not easy enough for a non-tech person to do.
Optimizely is well suited for your standard A/B testing scenarios. It does not do multivariate testing (at least the version we have does not). I would not look to Optimizely for any type of personalization for a website. There are better tools out there for that.
Read Brian Nizinsky's full review
Polly Harris profile photo
January 10, 2019

Optimizely Review: "Great Tool for CRO Programs"

• It's simple to integrate with any website, one tag in the header and you're good to go in a few minutes!
  • The interface to set up experiments is easy to use for simple experiments, just about anyone who can use a computer can set up an experiment in the Optimizely editor.
  • Their new Stats Engine they realeased a few years back allows marketers to declare a winner sooner (with a smaller required sample size) than traditional statistics would allow.
  • While it's great they offer a free version, technical support for more difficult experiment set up is unavailable unless you are an enterprise level member.
  • Optimizely has a synchronous tag, which means it cannot be added to a website using Google Tag Manager (>90% of all sites using a TMS use GTM so this affects most users.)
  • I'm sure most of us mathletes would appreciate a more in depth explanation of the statistics used in their new Stats Engine. I did a lot of digging when it was first released and wasn't able to get answers from their support team. It's great to be able to test more rapidly but understanding the maths behind the decision engine is paramount - or your essentially flying blind.
Optimizely is great for testing on sites with moderate to heavy traffic. It doesn't seem to be as effective with lower trafficked sites because the sample sizes just aren't there. I'd recommend going with a User Testing-type platform to perform CRO on lower trafficked sites.
Read Polly Harris's full review
Justina Logozzo profile photo
January 10, 2019

User Review: "I'm Optimistic about Optimizely"

• A/B Testing: To run an A/B test through Optimizely is incredibly simple when compared to other tools. And if you're using WordPress, it's even more easy as they have a plugin that enables you to use the tool directly through the CMS.
  • Simple personalization: There is no need to hire/contract a full stacked developer to create a website that can personalize for visitors; Optimizely enables you to do simple personalizations. And from a B2B perspective, we didn't want to put all our eggs in the basket on personalization, so Optimizely enabled us to test it out.
  • Display of Data: The graphs that you get are simple and easy to understand. And with their "Always Valid' analytics promise, I feel like I'm seeing the correct data at all times.
  • While I love the personalization feature on desktop, we have encountered glitches with the function on mobile. There are times where it slows down mobile speed, won't load correctly, or doesn't work.
  • The visual editor is easy to use, but I do often become flustered with lag time on changes, or just being unable to format something the way I want it.
  • The audience targeting is helpful for getting things off and running, but you have to make sure it's formatted correctly, or else you have to start over, or update manually.
Optimizely is great to companies looking to run A/B tests or personalize their websites without the need to full-stack developers. I've primarily used it in startups, which means that it's not going to break the bank, but it's also worth the money because it will help you generate money by enabling you to appeal better to visitors.
Read Justina Logozzo's full review
Chris Lesner profile photo
January 10, 2019

User Review: "Optimizely Is Great - highly recommend"

Optimizely is being used to help us figure out better messaging and get better engagement on our website. It allows us to test which images, call to actions, colors, messages, etc. convert best on any and every page we have. This not only effects website engagement, but how we choose to message in our ads based on the data we have found from our website to work.
  • You can a/b test colors of buttons and text
  • You can a/b test the words within buttons, your nav bar, etc.
  • You can swap out pictures based on what pictures are engaged with more
  • You learn a lot about what your customers are actually doing and clicking and what language they would use vs. your own language.
  • The price is very expensive. Too expensive for the average person.
  • If you want to use this on a mass level, you need a developer.
  • This is minor, but they could suggest things based on what has worked on other sites etc.
Well suited for: It allows us to a/b test literally any call to action we have. When we are looking at pricing, shop now buttons, etc. Optimizely is able to help us figure out at what points we get our best conversions and conversion rates.

Less appropriate for: If you have more than one site, Optimizely quickly outprices itself, as it gets expensive to use on scale.
Read Chris Lesner's full review
Ryan Berg profile photo
December 19, 2018

Optimizely Review: "Go-To A/B testing and personalization tool"

I use Optimizely with SaaS clients for A/B test landing pages, sign-up flows, and in-app features to improve key business metrics.
  • Easy to use interface.
  • Solid visual editor.
  • Fairly straightforward to set-up.
  • Doesn't always integrate well with other tracking tools.
  • Limited out of the box metrics to provide more context around your tests.
If you're just getting started with A/B testing, Optimizely is pretty straightforward to use and offers a lot of out-of-the-box features to get insights from your tests. As you grow into the enterprise level, you may want to look at more robust solutions that allow for more granular reporting and customization.
Read Ryan Berg's full review

"Optimizely Review"

Optimizely is used by almost everyone on my team on a daily basis. We work with many clients who use Optimizely as their primary A/B, MVT, and personalization testing tool, and we both consult with them on best practices on how to use the tool, as well as execute our own analysis within the tool (if an analytics platform is not paired with it).
  • Extremely intuitive interface with excellent usability, without sacrificing features. You could almost just read and use some common sense, and be able to use 80%+ of the features the first time you load the tool - incredibly intuitive.
  • Drag and Drop/Click and Pull functionality that is present throughout the tool, allows for seamless changes and updates, which can be much more cumbersome in other tools - potentially leading to more errors in campaign setup.
  • The WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) Editor is the best that I have personally used.
  • Optimizely technical support is second to none, in both their expertise, as well as their friendliness and willingness to help.
  • Integrates well with Adobe Analytics.
  • One specific point, is I wish Optimizely gave you the ability to copy an audience. It's an extremely simple feature, and one that we've requested, but probably just on the back log currently.
  • Sometimes it can take quite some time to upload changes from a campaign to the CDN. It varies by client and implementation, but can be a pain point at times.
Companies should discuss their goals on a case-by-case basis to determine what testing tool makes the most sense for them, but unless there were specific reasons to use another testing tool, Optimizely would be my recommendation any day of the week.
December 28, 2018

Optimizely Review: "A great solution if you don't have built-in A/B testing options"

Our marketing team uses Optimizely to A/B test landing pages. It's a great tool to test things like buttons, taglines, images. etc. It's very easy to use and gives you really good data on how your different site variations compare. I would recommend it to any marketing staff who controls a website or landing pages.
  • A/B tests
  • Analytics
  • Conversion Rate Domain expertise (lots of helpful info)
  • Page customization
  • Pricing is pretty high
  • Sometimes it can be a little buggy in preview mode
Optimizely is great if you use landing pages for signups. Their A/B testing will help you optimize workflows and improve your conversion rates. If you're a marketer responsible for signups, you'll want a tool like this. You can easily set up a test to see which feature converts better. Very simple to use. But if you're using something like Instapage which already has A/B testing built in, it's not worth paying for a product like Optimizely.
December 19, 2018

"Optimizely review"

Optimizely is used to test and optimize web pages. It's used in the process of answering business questions in more detail, beyond just using analytics.
  • Setting up simple tests.
  • Easy implementation.
  • Simple metrics to make conclusions based on the test results are easy to set up.
  • It's not complex enough in web interface changes and experience building.
  • It can interfere with the live versions of the page and disrupt the design.
  • Analytics platform does not integrate with popular tools like Adobe Analytics.
Simple A/B testing of web pages, creating versions of action on the page and testing them with certain traffic distribution for true insights on user experience.
January 27, 2019

User Review: "Optimizely Experience"

We use Optimizely within our department. Our website is composed of our upcoming events, contact info, and some resources. Optimizely is a wonderful product for A/B testing results and improves it with better choices. The best thing about this product is that it is very easy to use.
  • Very easy to use compared to other alternatives. Just add the script to the website.
  • Frees up our time.
  • You can test things out before actually implementing.
  • It is too expensive.
  • It needs to have a more visual data representation.
  • Customer service is slow.
If you have a website that a lot of users interact with, then this product would help you to choose the best choices to use on your website. If you have a website that has low traffic, then this might not be the best product. Also, the pricing is very expensive. Small businesses can find cheaper alternatives.
January 17, 2019

User Review: "Optimizely is an 8 out of 10!"

We are using Optimizely to test a wide variety of landing pages across multiple product lines. We also used it to test against multiple segments to learn more about how our content was converting.
  • Easy to learn
  • Pricey compared to other products on the market
When looking to test segments easily and quickly Optimizley shines. The reason it didn’t get a 10 is because of its pricing vs other comparable products.
Thue Lægdsgaard Madsen profile photo
December 13, 2017

Optimizely Review: "Decent optimization tool"

We use Optimizely on the marketing team to run A/B and multivariate tests. Mainly we use it for splitting our traffic when testing not so much for building the actual tests themselves. The tests that we use it for are mainly to verify hypothesis around the top of our funnel acquisition flow in connection with our marketing site.
  • It is very easy to set up a test and split traffic to various test variations.
  • It has a decent smart editor for tests that only involve small changes.
  • The version that we use (Optimizely classic) has a decent amount of integration with other analysis tools.
  • It is way too expensive.
  • The editor is only useful when you run a test involving small/simple changes to your pages.
  • The support is lacking.
It is well suited for simple testing and optimization. Anything more substantial will still require engineering and will likely not benefit from the native editor. It also does a good job of splitting traffic, either in even sized groups or based on specific demographic data points.
Read Thue Lægdsgaard Madsen's full review
Tigran Hakobyan profile photo
December 08, 2017

Review: "Optimizely is a great A/B testing platform. Highly recommended!"

Optimizely helped us in running quick experiments on our websites. We used it for A/B testing in order to understand which call to action button colors/style/text was working better and converting more users. I personally set up the experiments and did the tests. The integration part was very easy.
  • Easy integration
  • Great platform for A/B testing
  • You can start and run experiments straight from the dashboard, no need to ask developers to change anything in the code
  • The pricing model was hard to understand and could be improved
  • Our website loading took longer when Optimizely code was added, would be great to see this improved/solved
  • Getting on board was easy, but still took some time to understand the details
If you are looking for a platform that will allow you to quickly do some experiments and A/B testing on your website/platform, then Optimizely is a great choice. For us, it was a perfect solution to test different call-to-action buttons, colors, and texts. It helped us figure out the winning one and we started using that version of our CTA.
Read Tigran Hakobyan's full review
January 12, 2018

User Review: "Optimizely is at the top of the list"

I previously used Optimizely to conduct A/B tests for our conversion landing pages. We needed to increase conversions and Optimizely has a number of features that allowed us to determine what worked best. I also used Optimizely on our main website to test out certain scenarios regarding our customer service activities.
  • Optimizely offers a number of great features that other testing services do not.
  • Optimizely allows us to test within certain timeframes and in specific timezones.
  • One of the cooler features Optimizely offers is its multivariate testing. It automates multiple tests at one time.
  • My biggest con is that the service is much more expensive than its competitors.
  • There are too many tiers to the services. The basic tier, which is still pricey only gets you simple A/B tests and not all the bells and whistles.
  • It did not allow me to extend the account to other managers in my department.
For what it does Optimizely is very good. Although I did have to splurge and pay for the larger package to get all of the bells and whistles I was looking for, I was able to expand my testing scenarios. Looking at the landscape of all other testing services Optimizely is at the top.
December 06, 2017

Optimizely Review: "Powerful Optimization Tool -- But comes with a price."

We manage multiple brands, and we choose to use Optimizely on one of them. We mainly use Optimizely on this website for testing to improve our conversion rate with simple A/B tests, and we also use Optimizely to modify messaging and sales prices on front of site when running flash sales. In a pinch, we can also use Optimizely to make hot fixes when we find errors and typos, until we can get our dev team to put a more permanent fix in for the bug.
  • Optimizely has a great WYSIWYG editor, very intuitive and easy to use. For more advanced users, you also have access to the raw code, which I go in frequently to clean up things that the editor may have done.
  • I'm a huge fan of Optimizely's targeting criteria. I know that I can run tests on my site based on almost an audience I'd like.
  • I really enjoy Optimizely's analytics and reporting. They allow you to choose which metrics you're looking for, then they have built in confidence percentages to show you at a glance how your test is running.
  • Optimizely used to be free, now it's pretty expensive. Luckily, my account was grandfathered in, but I really think they're making a mistake by moving to a paid-only model instead of a freemium.
  • Sometimes there is a "flicker" when your page first loads where you can see the original page before the experience loads. Most visitors probably won't notice but it is not desirable.
  • The reporting doesn't always match up to the same stuff I see in Google Analytics. I know there is multiple reasons that this could be happening, but it is something to keep in mind when analyzing your data.
I used to recommend Optimizely to everyone, but with it being pay to play now, it is best used only for larger businesses. If you are a small business owner who is just looking to take advantage of some small testing on your site, you may be better off looking elsewhere (perhaps VWO or some other software that is priced based on traffic).
Grant Wilkins profile photo
December 16, 2016

Optimizely Review: "It's Easy as A/B/C - Experimentation Made Simple"

At Northern Tool + Equipment the design and analytics teams primarily use Optimizely to test design, usability and promotional changes to see what impacts our users in a meaningful way. We run experiments to determine whether or not a new feature is worth building, an existing feature or piece of content is useful or clutters the page and should be removed, and also what promotions and marketing messages resonate.
  • Quickly and easily set up new A/B tests. Some tests can be completed in only a few minutes.
  • A robust results engine. It automatically creates segments based off URL parameters and other common criteria (new vs returning) in addition to predefined criteria you set up.
  • The support of the Optimizely implementation team and customer care is fantastic. Optimizely easily ranks as one of our best third party software vendors. They provide not just knowledge of how to use the tool, but how to build a culture around testing and experimentation within your company.
  • Acts as a great lightweight content management system for making temporary changes. We use Optimizely to make changes for 100% of traffic for controlling scheduled promotions and also bug fix patches while waiting for permanent fixes.
  • Geo-targeting for tests does not allow you to use ZIP Codes.
  • URL targeting does not have a mass upload option for lists of unrelated URLs. It does have substring and regular expression matches that cover most other needs.
  • The preview feature rarely works as expected. We run tests on a dedicated testing environment to preview and do QA.
Optimizely is a great tool to get you up and running with A/B testing quickly without sacrificing quality. The WYSIWYG editor mode is passable for someone without html and javascript knowledge, but to get the most out of the tool you'll definitely want to have a developer that is fluent in javascript. As of a few months ago Optimizely now offers server side (or full stack) testing in addition to their client side testing. This is an additional feature you have to pay for, but if you have the need and teams to support server side testing it allows you to test a lot of different things you won't get out of client side testing.
Read Grant Wilkins's full review
Andrew Weitsman profile photo
October 10, 2016

Review: "Optimizely A/B Testing Delivers Results"

We use Optimizely to test new ideas from the marketing and development teams. The scale varies, from link redirects and button color changes all the way to page redesigns and conversion funnel adjustments. It is very easy to set up and use, allowing us to determine actionable results from our experiments before looking into a full development project. There are many features that allow for WYSIWYG page edits, but the platform's real power comes across to users who have at least a cursory understanding of HTML, Javascript and JQuery. It allows users to take experiments from thought to action with almost no time in between, and is a valuable tool for our growth and development plans.
  • Test setup is fast and easy, without using many resources.
  • Customizable metrics allow flexibility in monitoring and reporting of experiment performance.
  • Constant updates ensure that experiments run cleanly on all devices and platforms.
  • Intuitive user interface allows users to learn the platform quickly and efficiently.
  • Some rendering issues with older pages set to http: instead of https: (Optimizely is in the latter); there's a workaround that they provide, but users will need to know to look in the knowledgebase to find it.
  • Would like more baked-in metrics (e.g. time on site) and the opportunity to cross-compare different metrics (e.g. clicks as a percentage of engagement instead of visitors).
  • Occasional issues in rendering previews.
Optimizely is fantastic for quick and easy testing, and implementing experiments without a long lead time from the dev team. The company is constantly innovating and updating and creating new opportunities to try the product. However, the platform has a lot of features that are reliant on at least a remedial knowledge of code, so users should make sure to at least have a resource available to help them create more detailed experiments.
Read Andrew Weitsman's full review
Brynn Arego profile photo
April 04, 2016

Review: "Optimizely lets you test easily with low overhead."

We utilize Optimizely to test our clients UX on the Magento platform. It is easy to install and there is a handy module for Magento that makes it easy for clients to add the snippet to their site. Optimizely is very easy to use and even better if you have jQuery knowledge. It loads fast and allows you to test many things on the site without a lot of overhead and minimal effort. If you are a savvy user it is easy to work with. If someone isn't savvy and tries to use the editor there is a risk of breaking your site. For example, if working with a product detail page template, be wary of using their WYSIWYG editor on any dynamic information like pricing. It can turn it into a static html element on the page. Overall it's a great tool that allows you to be nimble with your testing and has great reporting on the results of your test.
  • Test setup is easy and doesn't take a lot of company resources.
  • The impact on page speed is incredibly small.
  • The results dashboard gives great insights to how your test is performing and you can track multiple goals.
  • I'd like to see more tools comparable to Visual Website Optimizer (VWO). Like user recordings and in page analytics.
  • If you have a dynamic area of information and edit it you pose a risk to making the page templates dynamic data static across the site. Pricing is a great example of this.
If you want better insight into how users are specifically interacting with a page, a different tool would be able to do this whereas Optimizely is lacking.
Read Brynn Arego's full review
Benjamin Himley profile photo
March 08, 2016

Optimizely Review: "Changed the way our front end development process worked in a great way!"

We use Optimizely whenever our front end/design team wants to make changes to the UI. Using A/B tests with Optimizely, we measure different kinds of user engagement (search actions, registrations) and use the results to help drive design decisions. On-boarding and support from Optimizely was first-rate. I'd recommend for anybody looking to start use A/B testing for their front end.
  • Quick and easy test setup if you've got the html/css changes ready to go.
  • Detailed analytics, providing all sorts of quality information such as totals vs uniques.
  • Support always picks up the phone right away! Great with answering your questions and often also give suggestions on better ways to test
  • Please add more APIs for exporting data and integrate into a data warehouse so that we could perform our own analytics!
  • The Optimizely script sometimes slows page loading time.
  • It would be nice to be able to auto-pause experiments at a particular time.
If you've got a front end team that doesn't use A/B testing to help make their design decisions, this is a must! Not something I'd recommend a marketing/sales team to try and use on their own - you need someone who can do the necessary front end work to put together the tests.
Read Benjamin Himley's full review
Matthew Pimenta profile photo
March 21, 2016

User Review: "Optimizely and You: An A/B Love Story"

Optimizely is, among other things, a conversion rate optimization tool. This allows our creative and development teams to build unique desktop experiences for the many different users who interact with the site. Whether it's testing an A/B (or C/D/E) split among different creative and structural choices or simply just showing a different page for a different geographic location, Optimizely helps target and switch fairly seamlessly.

Sometimes traffic and engagement metrics to websites will stagnate. And Optimizely is a way to test different website layouts to discover winners (or losers) in a statistically significant way.
  • Optimizely does fairly pain-free WYSIWYG web editing. Once the code has been implemented, it is easy to move around pieces of the website, resize and format different elements around the page. You don't need that much experience in coding to operate Optimizely, although it helps.
  • Optimizely allows the team to target and serve different pages based on UTM tags.
  • Optimizely allows unparalleled creativity in determining triggers for different pages to show. With Optimizely, you can discover the geographic location of users, reference this against the weather patterns in their area and serve a different website. This may be a particularly useful tool if your client is REI, for example. REI would benefit from showing a website optimized for cold-weather climates to cold weather climates. The same goes for more temperate and warm climates. Optimizing your website so that users find what they're looking for, convert, and stay longer is the goal. And Optimizely is a great way to start reaching that goal.
  • Perhaps in the certification exams - these seem much easier when described, but take a surprising amount of studying, especially into development specialties. It's mentioned that no developer skills are needed to pass certification, but very specific certification questions are asked regarding JavaScript, HTML, and tagging that the regular account manager or similar jobs wouldn't have knowledge of.
Optimizely is well suited any time you need to serve a different version of a website to varied users or potential customers. It is also well suited when you are uncertain of which version of a website to serve to users. Optimizely provides a no-frills medium within which you may test which version leads to better conversion and optimize towards it.
Read Matthew Pimenta's full review
Joseph Taylor profile photo
March 18, 2016

Optimizely Review: "Its a MUST HAVE - period."

As the head of our company's front end team, I use Optimizely to prove concepts and ideas before having the team fully develop the feature to see if it will get any traction. We use it to vet ideas that come in from product and marketing as a regular part of our process.
  • Making quick variations on pages for testing - you can use the GUI or just whip up some jQuery so you can do more advanced tests.
  • Love the reporting/results page - once you establish real goals to measure it's just awesome.
  • At least in our network, the previews often never load - this could just be our network.
  • Having to routinely click the little shield in the address bar to load the editor is annoying - again I think this is just our network.
Unless you're skilled with jQuery you won't be able to run experiments on pages that are private on your sites since you won't be able to open those pages in the editor easily.
Read Joseph Taylor's full review
Sean Cleveland profile photo
September 30, 2015

Review: "If you are wanting to improve your site, use Optimizely!"

We use Optimizely on our company website to primarily help increase our customers / visitors conversion. We are an eCommerce site so our primary focus is on CTA and making sure our customers are able to easily find what they are looking for. We primarily have used it to test layout changes, but have done some redirect testing as well.
  • Their User Interface is so easy to use. You don't have to be a coder to set up a test. It's simply amazing.
  • Their support is by far the best I've ever experienced. They always pick up the phone right away and are so helpful to answer your questions and to also give suggestions on better ways to do your tests.
  • Sometimes it's a little tricky using third party jQuery plugins that we have on our site. It's not necessarily bad, but it could be better.
  • The reporting is good, but it could be more robust. Simply a data table with a time chart. Would be nice to have more of a graphical interaction for their reports.
If you are trying to improve your website, Optimizely is the model standard. Their product is unbelievably easy to use, with the ability of advanced functionality. Their support team is always there to help you out. Really no key questions that I can think of, just be up front and be honest with what you want.
Read Sean Cleveland's full review
Jeremy Bradford profile photo
September 09, 2015

User Review: "Doing it fast with Optimizely"

Optimizely is now our primary tool for A/B testing and deploying temporary code fixes between releases. It's been an amazing tool for us and has helped us ramp up our optimization efforts considerably. We've gone from deploying a handful of experiments per year to launching several new tests every week. I'm the primary user of the tool, working in the product department, but I often seek out help from various developers as we conceive of progressively more complicated experiments. I've been amazed by what you can do with Optimizely and a little determination. We've lifted conversion rates all over our site with Optimizely.
  • Optimizely has a very intuitive interface that really makes learning to use the tool quite easy. Even a complete novice can develop and deploy simple A/B tests with minimal effort.
  • Optiverse, Optimizely's support forum, is an excellent place to learn how to take your A/B testing to the next level. I've gone from running simple copy change tests to advanced multi-page funnel testing.
  • The ability to simply modify existing pages on your site rather than recreating them and redirecting traffic has been immensely valuable and allowed us to deploy tests much faster than we did before.
  • I'm often frustrated with how hard it is to monitor results from my phone. I wish there was a mobile optimized version of the results section. I'm often travelling on the weekends and need to check on our tests via my phone. It can be done, but it's a very sub-optimal experience.
  • I wish I could see the results of all my active tests on a single dashboard. Currently you have to drill into each experiment individually. Since I sometimes have as many as 10-15 experiments running, a good part of my day is spent monitoring a ton of open tabs for each test.
  • Just nitpicking, but it would be nice to be able to reorder your experiment's goals without having to exit editing mode and return to the main projects page.
When it comes to designing completely new pages from scratch, Optimizely is probably not the best tool, but it excels at modifying existing pages. That said, if you know how to write jQuery and CSS well, seems like there is no limit to what you can do with a little creativity and effort. We're constantly expanding the boundaries of what we thought the tool could do.
Read Jeremy Bradford's full review
Renee Thompson profile photo
August 14, 2015

User Review: "Optimizely Rocks"

My team uses Optimizely; we are responsible for conversion optimization across my company. I have 2 folks that work for me, and we are the 3 users. We are an online B2B media company, so we use Optimizely to run tests across our network of sites (~75 sites) and landing pages, with a goal of increasing conversions (leads, registrations) as well as engagement (primarily measured by pages per visit and time on site).
  • Stellar support. Every person we've worked with on the support side has been knowledgeable and super helpful. Top notch for sure, and a great attitude to go along with the support.
  • The product is so easy to use. Flexible while being user-friendly. We are able to do things quickly and easily that we could not do - even with consultant support - with competitive software.
  • Community. The online community is great - it has great content, frequently updated with lots of people contributing. Most questions can be answered by checking the online community/online support. The community manager, Amanda, rocks!
  • Reporting/exporting is a challenge if you want to report on data across multiple campaigns. This may not be an issue for some, but for us we typically have multiple test campaigns set up in support of a particular project. We compile/aggregate results manually. We have to look up/export results campaign by campaign, which is time-consuming.
  • While the product, development/engineering, support and community folks at Optimizely are rock stars, their sales folks are not. Most of the people have impressed us in so many ways - so very customer-oriented, as Optimizely tends to be as a company/brand. However, from our perspective it's felt a little like the sales folks are not even part of the same organization. Very 'traditional' salesy. :(
  • We'd like to be able to set up multiple 'projects' in Optimizely for better/easier organization. However, each project requires its own code snippet for your site(s). This precludes us from creating multiple projects, and thus it's a little unwieldy in our interface. Also, since we have so many sites and campaigns, our code snippet is much larger than we would like. This again is a symptom of our own organization, where we have many, many sites (unlike many other companies).
Honestly I think Optimizely works for any company - all industries/business types.
Read Renee Thompson's full review

About Optimizely

Optimizely Integrations

SessionCam, AdBasis, Oracle DMP (Bluekai)

Optimizely Competitors