Emma Reviews

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Aaron Metzger | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Enterprise-level email marketing with multi-level account structure allowing for multiple users at different levels to send campaigns
  • Easy-to-use WYSIWYG email template editors to create dynamic emails with enhanced personalization through merge-fields
  • A large API index that connects to many different platforms and the ability to work with Emma support to create new connections to new platforms as needed
  • Getting started with the platform really requires Emma support, which costs money. If you're an enterprise client, the setup costs can be steep.
  • Automated work-flows aren't a simple to create as some platforms that focus heavily on that.
  • The CMS aspect of the platform is a little weak and probably not a great fit for SAAS or B2B clients
Read Aaron Metzger's full review
Sarah Bandy | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 14, 2019

Emma is Ebullient!

Pros and Cons

• Templates are easy to use. This functionality makes it super simple to make newsletters that look professional.
  • Managing the email lists is great. You can input email addresses easily.
  • I love the Lightbox on our home page of our website that automatically funnels email signups into a new list.
  • The categorization of email addresses is sometimes clumsy. I could potentially go in and recategorize, so that's not necessarily their issue, but it does have to be done individually as far as I can tell.
  • I'm usually kind of confused by the rating of the email after its sent. We get mid-range results. I know that I could probably take a video course in order to figure out how to improve the emails to have a better rating.
  • Sometimes our emails do go to Spam filters but not often.
Read Sarah Bandy's full review
Lauren Lloyd | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• As a nonprofit organization, we need the ability to automate email series for new subscribers and donors to further educate them on our mission, thank them for their support, and keep them engaged. Emma’s automated email tools make this so easy to set up.
  • We love how simple Emma makes creating e-blasts, as well as building and saving templates for future use.
  • Emma’s resources are incredible. They’ve taken the time to compile brilliant guides on everything you could possibly wonder about email marketing.
  • We have struggled with Salesforce integration and would love to see this ironed out.
  • The mobile and desktop views differ greatly on some of our templates, making it challenging to craft a design that works across all platforms.
  • While we love Emma’s simplicity, it would be nice to have more customization options at our fingertips.
Read Lauren Lloyd's full review

Pros and Cons

• Their templates are easy to edit and manipulate, we have a lot of 'non-designers' that are mostly code-monkeys, and it makes their job easier when they have to proverbially wear multiple hats.
  • Emma has the ability to test multiple subject lines – you can see where you get the most clicks. That makes our clients happy and targets our business.
  • It's competitive with MailChimp – a program we've been running into issues with. It's nice that there's other software out there we can jump to.
  • Their customer service leaves something to be desired. We ran into an issue with one of our campaigns, and we decided to reach out to support, but they didn't get back with us until 3 hours later! Time is money!!
  • We don't like that their photo editing capabilities are limited, you can only choose small, medium or large photos with no way to resize to exact dimensions. Makes emails a bit of a pain
  • The upgraded premium tools are buggy and leave something to be desired as well – it's a shame.

• Drip campaigns for email
  • Great email builder and integration with Litmus
  • Easy to read dashboard and metrics
  • Too expensive for some clients
  • Number of contacts included does not increase at each pricing tier.

Pros and Cons

• Sending out mass emails to different groups in our case: student, staff, or faculty
  • Segmenting user groups/contacts to send email campaigns to
  • Track your email campaigns and know when someone has opened the email and which links in the campaign they click on
  • Price: the subscription price is higher than competitors like MailChimp
  • It's not freemium, they do not have a free version for individuals who want to use it for small volumes
  • More templates to choose from
  • Better management of contacts and uploading contacts and compaign groups
Ashley Humphrey | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• It's easy to add users. You can either upload an Excel spreadsheet or add them individually. Some platforms I've used in the past make it difficult to add and update users. Emma is the best I've used so far for this function.
  • Adding content is very user friendly. It's basically click and go which means I can have our newsletter ready in no time.
  • The up-to-date dashboard is a great overview of where your campaigns stand and also let you know where you rank in the larger community. It's nice to have a comparison to see how your campaign are doing.
  • I'd like to be able to remove a user instead of just opting them out. This would be useful when people leave a company to keep our numbers in check and accurate.
Read Ashley Humphrey's full review
Sara Meyer | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 24, 2018

I Love Emma

Pros and Cons

• Education: I love the webinars and emails I get with tips and tricks on how to improve my emails.
  • Support: All of my experiences have been very positive when contacting Emma with questions or issues I am having with an email.
  • Reporting: I love the metrics that it shows and that you can save the results very easily to keep record.
  • I wish there were more template options for more unique designs before having to go HTML.
Read Sara Meyer's full review

Pros and Cons

• Automates the process and allows for a workflow that can bring a personality to your brand while still being efficient in its delivery.
  • The analytics you receive after sending an email is unlike anything I've had before in my precious email marketing solutions.
  • A/B testing has been a huge advantage for us when it comes to design and subject lines because we are understanding what our customers gravitate towards which has improved our open rates.
  • When we have had some issues with our lists that we have imported, that support team's emails are always all jumbled and confusing. Not being able to just to call and talk it over is a huge disadvantage.
  • When we have a new team member getting trained on Emma, we have to pay Emma again to do a training -- our past solutions allowed us a rep since we already pay for the service that was available for new team member training. Instead, we just do the training ourselves but often miss new updates since we don't have someone informing us of better ways of using the product.
  • Often feel a bit left alone to figure out everything. The onboarding process was super extensive and awesome, but the person that did that process has now left our company and we wish we could do that again, but it would cost us more money even though we pay for the product.
Andrea Janda | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Attractive designs and flexible templates
  • Ability to include call to action buttons, links to Google Forms, and connect with Eventbrite
  • Excellent at maintaining mailing lists, segments, and groups
  • Clear, helpful, and interesting metrics about campaigns that have been sent and who in your audience has opened or interacted with what links
  • None
Read Andrea Janda's full review
Lauren Busby | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Drag and drop interface - This makes it easy for our stores to create their own custom emails.
  • Configurable fields - We can set images or text boxes as customizable. Sub accounts then just click on that textbox to customize it. It's very easy to use. And we can have default text if they send the email without customizing.
  • Great organizational structure - We can manage all our sub accounts and add templates all from Emma's Org interface. No need to reach out to support for adding users or adding templates.
  • Setup of users - We used to be able to setup a user and send them our own welcome email. Emma has since set up the ability to add users where they send the welcome email. It's a great new feature, but it doesn't always work. We've had some users who never receive these emails and then we need to reach out to support anyway.
  • The code to set up a configurable email is cumbersome. It's great that it is so customizable, but there is a learning curve.
Read Lauren Busby's full review
April Muller | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Ease of resending newsletters to non-openers. This is something I had to figure out how to do on my own but it was surprisingly simple.
  • Drag and drop functionality. I've showed coworkers how to recreate the newsletters in my absence easily.
  • Dashboard view showing quick metrics like open rate/click rate/number of subscribers is great, but I especially like the click map that shows where on the newsletter our subscribers are clicking.
  • Audience management can feel clunky, and not as straightforward.
  • Would like to be able to drag and drop elements as a group as opposed to just individually, which can be tedious when rearranging content.
  • Would like to be able to group newsletter types together instead of all in our account being lumped together. Not sure if this is an option I just haven't found yet.
Read April Muller's full review
Toni Eftink | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• First and foremost Emma practices what they preach and sends awesome email marketing. They are also extremely personable and helpful and are always available to answer questions and offer strategic advice.
  • The software is intuitive and easy to use.
  • The software provides sophisticated options for those ready to go beyond basic email marketing.
  • This is tiny, but the undo feature doesn't work in the editor which is pesky at times.
  • I'd like to see styles (on the editor drop down) added when getting custom templates.
  • I'd love to see the addition of conversations added to the software. Right now I manually add replies to emails to a custom field on the contact's record to keep track of that qualitative data.
Read Toni Eftink's full review
Mike Rizzo | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Great email design tool.
  • Nice interface for agencies looking to help clients manage email marketing.
  • Easy billing for agencies to bill clients for the software without having to manage the process themselves.
  • There are small areas for them to improve, but nothing I can think of that's particularly alarming. It's the same for every software company worth it's weight :)
Read Mike Rizzo's full review
Kerry Bobeczko | TrustRadius Reviewer

• Segmentation
  • Contact Management
  • Template emails
  • In the trigger features, it would be really nice if a trigger could be someone who does not open or does open the FIRST email. This feature is available on the second and third emails, but we really want to send follow up to the people who opened or did not open the first email as well. This is a major feature that other automation companies have, and almost prevented us from not going with Emma.
Read Kerry Bobeczko's full review
Ashley Silver | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 21, 2017

We love Emma

Pros and Cons

• They help with ease of template planning for emails.
  • They help us manage our email list.
  • Their customer service is very sweet and helpful.
  • We would love to be able to use our own fonts.
  • Wish I could do it through an app on my phone!
Read Ashley Silver's full review
Alanna Stage | TrustRadius Reviewer

• Reporting was clear.
  • I liked that I could quickly and simply build surveys.
  • Sending email tests was easy.
  • The list functionality, especially between groups and sub-groups, was really hard to use and confusing.
  • It took a lot of practice to use the email builder; the icons were too bulky and often overlapped.
  • I had previously used HubSpot at another company and just preferred that to Emma.
Read Alanna Stage's full review
Amber Klein | TrustRadius Reviewer

• Intuitive
  • Great templates
  • Reporting
  • Emma's functionality is somewhat different than other email platforms so it can take a little while to get use to and know how to set it up. I recommend reaching out to a customer service rep at Emma with any questions as they are super helpful.
Read Amber Klein's full review

Pros and Cons

• Drag and Drop Interface - I love the drag-and-drop interface used to design campaigns. It makes it easy for creative types to get the look they want, and it helps less technically and aesthetically adept users to create campaigns that still look great. After using both Constant Contact and MailChimp, I think Emma comes out on top in terms of ease of template design.
  • Master Admin Account - Having a master admin account controlled by one person allows us to deploy brand assets to each sub-account, and we're also able to push out templates for users who aren't ready or don't have the time to design their own.
  • Dynamic Content - Dynamic content has proven so useful to us, especially in our Admissions Office. Making it possible for regular users to easily create emails using dynamic content is a VERY strong feature that, in my experience, is unique to Emma.
  • Great Tutorials - Emma does a great job taking care of its users. The support folks are always kind and helpful, but Emma publishes an array of tutorials and resources to help with just about anything its users encounter, from how to use custom merge fields to advice on creating the best campaigns.
  • One room-for-improvement area I've encountered is related to custom template design. In addition to "locking" certain portions of templates our master admin account pushes out, from a branding perspective, I'd like to "lock" certain font styles for use (or not) in my templates. I talked with Emma's support team about this, and it seemed like something that might be possible in the future.
  • Sometimes I can't remember where to find the Image and Document assets, because you have to be in a certain tab to see their links as an option. I'm not sure what the solution for this is, but not having those as easily accessible as most everything else has been a pain point. (Not a big one, just an inconvenience sometimes.)
April 04, 2017

Emma Review

Pros and Cons

• Extremely user friendly.
  • Email templates can be customized, it's easy to adjust colors, fonts, margins, photo sizes, etc.
  • Easy to segment lists and add or delete emails.
  • Works best for text, so it's a little harder to incorporate lots of visual elements.
  • Can't embed videos or gifs.
  • No way to streamline importing new emails from our database.

WYSIWYG email editor (23)
Dynamic content (24)
Ability to test dynamic content (23)
A/B testing (22)
Mobile optimization (27)
Email deliverability (29)
List management (29)
Triggered drip sequences (20)
Dashboards (28)
Standard reports (29)
Custom reports (18)

About Emma

Emma, a Campaign Monitor company since the summer 2018 merger, provides email marketing software and services that help organizations of all sizes get more from their marketing. The platform is available in editions that are tailored for businesses, franchises, retailers, universities and agencies. The vendor’s value position is that they aim to offer enterprise level capabilities in a team-friendly experience that's simple and enjoyable. Key features include: mobile-ready design templates, email automation, audience segmenting and dynamic content. The software includes integration with top CRM solutions, ecommerce platforms and social networks. Headquartered in Nashville, and with offices in Portland, New York and Melbourne, Emma powers the emails of more than 45,000 organizations worldwide, including Mario Batali, Bridgestone and Sylvan Learning Center.