Basecamp is a web-based project-management tool developed by 37signals and launched in 2004. The Ruby on Rails framework was extracted from the Basecamp project. Basecamp offers to-do lists, wiki-style web-based text documents, milestone management, file sharing, time tracking, and a messaging system. It also offers integration with 37signals' own Campfire product.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/zg/Dh/I80OEOGARRD3.PNGBasecamp - Keep on Track by Getting Back to BasicsWe were using Basecamp for the marketing department only, while we utilized their service. It really helped in keeping everyone on our team on the same page. Making to do lists and assigning tasks was clear and easy to follow. Personally, I am a goal oriented person so it was great to be able to have a visual representation of tasks I had accomplished in a day. It was a pleasure to be able to check tasks off my list as I completed them each day. So for me, not only was it a useful tool, it made work a bit more gratifying as well.,It is a great way to keep a task list. Everyone has their own assigned tasks but there is also a larger calendar view where you are able to see your teammates tasks and where they're at with things in a given project. Basecamp is simple and easy to use. I wouldn't say it's no frills because there are some great features but it's not a difficult program to dive into. You can pick up how to use it really quickly unlike some larger, more complex task tracking programs I've used. Basecamp makes communication easy. You can add notes for your teammates and it helps to keep everyone on the same page and on track.,There were a lot of instances where I would come into work in the morning, I'd log in to Basecamp, and I'd have to find out from my colleagues if it was just me or if Basecamp was down again. It seemed like the program was crashing or under construction quite a bit, definitely more than I would like. I love that Basecamp is simple and easy to use but perhaps Basecamp is too simple sometimes. There were a lot of times where one teammate would assign a task to another teammate and it's get lost somewhere in the program. I'm not sure how but things would get assigned the wrong way and it would leave us trying to figure out what had gone wrong.,7,To a point, Basecamp was very useful in keeping our team on track so I'd say it'd have to be a positive impact.,monday (formerly dapulse),monday (formerly dapulse), SlackGreat organizational tool for a project managementThis platform is a great organizational tool that helps you create and assign projects within a range of coworkers. You choose who to include in a task or assignment. We use it mainly for projects to keep an organized way of working during the time of execution. This tool is used all along the company, sometimes it's spread through 5 or more departments, and it surely helps keep and track each assignment to be delivered on time.,It organizes task in a project, by assigning a task to people involved Very simple and easy to use, no extended training is needed if you have basic computer skills It tracks dates, tasks and future assignments by reminding the person involved to complete or work on a task A great feature that helps a lot is the instant messaging,Notifications are repetitive even when a task has been completed You cannot create an additional task to a sub task in a project Design might be a little updated in the area of the dashboard, could be more interactive,8,For a business, its great for the value, $99 a month with everything included, its worth it It keeps from hiring additional human resource for tracking and organization It increases productivity and delivery times and projects are more precise,monday (formerly dapulse), Asana and Wrike,Five9 Virtual Contact Center, Google Analytics, FortiClient,No,Price Product Features Product Usability Product Reputation Analyst Reports Third-party Reviews,Something that we evaluated was the performance or reviews from the platform, but something that would've been great to have was a trial with an internal tutorial. The platform is a great platform overall, but this aspect was important to not risk our purchase process, it did great when we used it.Basecamp, a good tool for project management.I am using Basecamp as my project management software to enable our team to track short term and long term projects. The ability to assign tasks, comment on those tasks, and most importantly, assign due dates, is great. The low point of entry too is something that allows you to get this cloud based solution in place quickly. One of the features I most like is the direct integration with Google Drive. You can link files in Google Drive instead of having to upload them. I would rather manage files in Google Drive, so this makes it easier. The newer feature of allowing vendor/clients limited access is a great add on. I would suggest for those that are going to go the Basecamp route to take a look at the great videos that the Basecamp company provides. In addition, there are a ton of other products that directly integrate with Basecamp.,Direct integration with Google Apps. Allows you to link files instead of uploading them (why upload a 1GB video files into another system when it is already in Basecamp) Allows assignment of multiple people for a task in the newest version of Basecamp Easy on-boarding of additional users, being that it is cloud-based. As long as they have a browser you can send them an invite Limiting access to client/vendors. This allows you to use the same project without worrying about clients seeing items they should not.,Tasks. If you could assign tasks to multiple people and assign a sub task to each person it would be great. Such as make a logo, then a week later, have a sub task of replace logo on website. Right now you have to create two tasks or fiddle with dates Improve the calendar or task date view (depends on if you're using 2 or 3.) I had issues with it being hard to navigate. Their pricing structure is good for what you get, but I wish they offered an education discount.,8,Sped up the process of adding a variety of tasks into a timeline (for example, ads for a following year.) You can put them in and know you will get notified of upcoming due dates I like to use Basecamp to add ideas for the future, with due dates several months out. It allows my team to implement those ideas without them being lost Google Apps integration has saved so much time, no more guessing on what version is the latest. One negative: I wish the import from one version to another was better,Microsoft Project,Adobe Acrobat DC, Adobe Illustrator CC, Google Analytics, Google Ads (formerly AdWords), Windows ServerBasecamp reviewIt is used as an online collaboration app where employees discuss their projects, queries etc. One can share DOC and CSV files using Basecamp. It also features task management (for keeping tracks of tasks ), group discussion between team members, Discussion Boards, and Project Management. Instead of stuff scattered all over, everything you're working on will be in one streamlined and organized area.,Handle multiple tasks at a single place. Communicating with multiple users in one place.,Not a great UI. The mobile application is not user-friendly.,7,Connecting with other employees or clients in no time helps to complete work faster. Notification allows you to send event timings.,Asana Alternatives and Elementool Competitors,AsanaAll projects in one place!Basecamp is being used throughout the company by keeping all projects in one product where everyone can see and use it. All clients that we have come in contact with are also stored in there. It saves a lot of time between talking to departments because they can just look in Basecamp and usually see everything they need. It also keeps everything organized and secure at the same time.,Keeps things organized and easy to find at any time. User-friendly. Easy to upload new information and find information. The amount of people that can take advantage of Basecamp at one time is awesome.,Sometimes when using Google Chrome it does not work so you have to disable some extensions. I wish it could work all the time in any browser without having to do anything. It would be nice if Basecamp could change languages also. Could probably be a little cheaper.,9,Has saved money Saves a lot of time Keeps all things organized,Salesforce Partner Management
Basecamp

Basecamp Reviews

Basecamp
Top Rated Award
Filter 724 vetted Basecamp reviews and ratings
August 08, 2018

Review: "Basecamp - Keep on Track by Getting Back to Basics"

• It is a great way to keep a task list. Everyone has their own assigned tasks but there is also a larger calendar view where you are able to see your teammates tasks and where they're at with things in a given project.
  • Basecamp is simple and easy to use. I wouldn't say it's no frills because there are some great features but it's not a difficult program to dive into. You can pick up how to use it really quickly unlike some larger, more complex task tracking programs I've used.
  • Basecamp makes communication easy. You can add notes for your teammates and it helps to keep everyone on the same page and on track.
  • There were a lot of instances where I would come into work in the morning, I'd log in to Basecamp, and I'd have to find out from my colleagues if it was just me or if Basecamp was down again. It seemed like the program was crashing or under construction quite a bit, definitely more than I would like.
  • I love that Basecamp is simple and easy to use but perhaps Basecamp is too simple sometimes. There were a lot of times where one teammate would assign a task to another teammate and it's get lost somewhere in the program. I'm not sure how but things would get assigned the wrong way and it would leave us trying to figure out what had gone wrong.
I think Basecamp is well suited to small companies or departments. It is really easy to get the hang of so there is no training required. It just starts to get a little fussy when you have too many people on the platform. This is the reason we recently left Basecamp. We wanted to be able to utilize a program that we could extend past our marketing department and into other larger departments. It just isn't as practical on a larger scale.
Read Kelly Reumann's full review
July 09, 2018

Basecamp Review: "Great organizational tool for a project management"

• It organizes task in a project, by assigning a task to people involved
  • Very simple and easy to use, no extended training is needed if you have basic computer skills
  • It tracks dates, tasks and future assignments by reminding the person involved to complete or work on a task
  • A great feature that helps a lot is the instant messaging
  • Notifications are repetitive even when a task has been completed
  • You cannot create an additional task to a sub task in a project
  • Design might be a little updated in the area of the dashboard, could be more interactive
Basecamp becomes very useful whenever you have a project that will include a lot of personnel; it keeps an organized structure, keeping errors on a low scale. On the other hand, if it's a small project or for personal use, this platform could be a waste of money or not useful at all. There could be other platforms better for personal organization.
Read Horacio Carcamo's full review
September 14, 2018

Review: "Basecamp, a good tool for project management."

• Direct integration with Google Apps. Allows you to link files instead of uploading them (why upload a 1GB video files into another system when it is already in Basecamp)
  • Allows assignment of multiple people for a task in the newest version of Basecamp
  • Easy on-boarding of additional users, being that it is cloud-based. As long as they have a browser you can send them an invite
  • Limiting access to client/vendors. This allows you to use the same project without worrying about clients seeing items they should not.
  • Tasks. If you could assign tasks to multiple people and assign a sub task to each person it would be great. Such as make a logo, then a week later, have a sub task of replace logo on website. Right now you have to create two tasks or fiddle with dates
  • Improve the calendar or task date view (depends on if you're using 2 or 3.) I had issues with it being hard to navigate.
  • Their pricing structure is good for what you get, but I wish they offered an education discount.
If you require project management in the general sense, to better organize your workflow, this is the software for you. A few great uses of Basecamp include: to share with a photographer, so they can upload assets for your projects; to type it into your design work with InDesign; to plan out a schedule of advertisement for a year.

Where Basecamp is not good is if you need more of a flow chart model, where there is step 1, then 2, then 3. Basecamp cannot handle that easily. You end up making a lot of tasks and they are not linked, so you have to manually move dates if one task is not completed in time.
April 05, 2018

"Basecamp review"

• Handle multiple tasks at a single place.
  • Communicating with multiple users in one place.
  • Not a great UI. The mobile application is not user-friendly.
A cool tool for sharing project information and documents between local and remote team members as well as customers.
Handling multiple tasks at a single platform, event management, and meetings.
Organising business is understandable.
Performs work fast. Can chat with individuals and groups in real time.
Notification is sent to the concerned person. Searching filters and activity feeds are also available.
May 09, 2018

Basecamp Review: "All projects in one place!"

• Keeps things organized and easy to find at any time.
  • User-friendly. Easy to upload new information and find information.
  • The amount of people that can take advantage of Basecamp at one time is awesome.
  • Sometimes when using Google Chrome it does not work so you have to disable some extensions. I wish it could work all the time in any browser without having to do anything.
  • It would be nice if Basecamp could change languages also.
  • Could probably be a little cheaper.
When calling a client about a project we can all look into Basecamp and see the same project so we are on the same page and both see it at the same time. If I need to change the language for a client I cannot so it causes some issues.
May 03, 2018

Basecamp Review: "Camp all dayyyy"

We are able to create project checklists that we all have access to. It gives us the ability to work together but separately in an organized way. It also allows us to get away from cluttered emails and text messages and created an organized way for us to collaborate more effectively.
  • Checklist: Create an easy way to see how is assigned what responsibilities and if they are completed.
  • Pings: Allow members to see immediate messages.
  • Communication: Allows members to communicate all things in one place, not needing to create multiple group texts.
  • Mobile App: I'm not the biggest fan of the mobile app. I prefer the desktop app.
  • Design: The design is pretty basic. They could potentially go with a more creative look.
  • Notifications: Allow members to be more specific as to what exactly they want to receive notifications for.
If you are a company or team that has multiple projects going on at once and want to be more productive, this is a great resource. It eliminates the necessity for meeting as often and keeps those on your team accountable without micromanaging.

If you are a smaller team, it may not be as necessary, but even so, I still believe it would be beneficial.
January 16, 2018

User Review: "Basecamp needs to update its ux/ui"

We used to use it for design projects. All people related to the project, external or internal, were included in the system so everyone knew what was going on with the project. The problem we are solving with Basecamp is the lack of transparency that can exist when executing a project with people who are not sitting all in the same office. The biggest benefit for me is the visibility it gives to the team of everything that has been shared during the execution of a project. You can go back to conversations and documents anytime and there is traceability of everything.
  • What I like the most is that it serves as a repository of everything shared and discussed during a project.
  • Basecamp is a really good tool if you are working on a project with a remote team of three or more people.
  • You can invite external and internal people to a basecamp project.
  • You can assign task to people within the team and keep track of what's been finished or not.
  • What I don't like about Basecamp is that it feels like you are using an old product. All the other productivity tools I use have a slick modern interface. Basecamp just feels outdated in that regard. The user interface hasn't been updated in years and you can really notice it.
If you are working with a team of 3+ Basecamp becomes very useful because it serves as a repository of information for the project. Even if they are all in the same location, it's a virtual place where they can just post everything that's going on with the project, share documents, status updates, manage tasks, etc.

Connect your Basecamp instance with other productivity apps like Slack. Don't forget to invite other people, external people, to the Basecamp project. If they are going to participate in very specific portions of it, you can grant restricted access.
Read Nicolas Costa Ossa's full review
January 12, 2018

Basecamp Review: "For all your project management needs!"

Basecamp is being used across the whole organization currently. Essentially, we were launching an expansive, complicated process to revamp our website, our interaction with website users, and need to track all the various pieces. We were also working with a number of people that didn't work inside the physical office, so needed something that would be easy to interact with wherever you are based.
  • Project Management
  • Discussions
  • To-Do Lists
  • Page Layout
  • Gantt Chart Integration
  • File Preview
Basecamp is better suited, I believe, for smaller teams. We have a smaller team and it worked very well; however, I could see it becoming less useful if the users exceeded 10 or so. Perhaps we were not aware of the robustness of the entire system, but I feel that it could be limited when it comes to having more users.
Read Kelsie Hamilton's full review
March 15, 2018

User Review: "Basecamping"

Basecamp is used throughout the entire department. We use it for project management and ensure the marketing team has access to info for all programs. It ensures all documents, information, timelines etc are housed in one place.
  • Information storage
  • Easily accessible form anywhere
  • Communication for all members is streamlined
  • Can't think of any
Programs and projects where there are many team members and many hands in the project.
Read Eric Yen's full review
January 25, 2018

Basecamp Review: "Easy Group Task Management"

We use Basecamp as a task manager for projects that require us to interface with clients. It's really good at being able to set up tasks to achieve milestones and generally keep our projects on track. The interface is really easy for clients to understand and work with so it allows us to hit the ground running on projects rather than teach people how to use tools.
  • Intuitive interface that's easy to use for all levels of experience.
  • Allows you to track progress on tasks and identify speed bumps along the way.
  • Keeps all the communication around a project in a centralized location.
  • The only real complaint I have about Basecamp is that its mobile version is difficult to use and doesn't always work as expected. Would really like to see a stronger solution were as more and more of our tasks are able to accomplish on mobile devices.
This is a great tool for companies who do client projects. It allows you to assign various tasks to different individuals and makes it easy to check them off to achieve the project goals. Individuals or freelancers might not have a need for this product, but when you get into a group setting, it becomes a valuable part of a project workflow.
Read Nicholas De Salvo's full review
January 22, 2018

Review: "Basecamp - the fast and error free product for Agile Project Management"

Basecamp is used by the whole organization for Team, project and task management. It is much better than its counterparts and I am so happy with the product. I use it in my Agile Project Development. The product development is a rigorous process and breaking it into projects helps a lot. That's where Basecamp comes handy.
  • Project Management - So much better to handle the projects effectively
  • UI for the application is so good
  • The description in the projects - space is good
  • Basecamp has limited features
  • What I think about the website is that it is not designed well
  • I think there should be tracking on the basis of time also
When you have a low budget, this product takes the cake. Also, with unlimited users for its product gives the advantages over other products. Unlimited Projects also give the advantage. Also, if you work in a fast-paced environment, the speedy Basecamp is the way to go. It has one of the least error rates in the industry.
Read Himanshu Singh's full review
January 19, 2018

User Review: "Basecamp is excellent!"

Basecamp was a great tool for us and one we were sad to outgrow. It is intuitive, easy to use and overall simple. At the same time it is a platform that offers many functionalities that are particularly interesting for us agency owners.

We used Basecamp to do our project management and overall we are very happy with it. Our decision to move to another tool had simply to do with the fact we needed a couple of specific features (dependable tasks) and Gantt charts. If it wasn't for that we probably would continue to use Basecamp to this day.

I have nothing but good things to say about it. It is a platform that took us no time as a team to understand and use. The learning curve is extremely short, therefore allowing for quick on boarding. Clients also used it and that saved us an incredible amount of unnecessary emails. I personally still use it for a specific project I'm a part of for another agency. For small agencies, this is an excellent option that can help you get started with project management and depending on the types of projects you manage it can be just as effective for larger companies.
  • Easy to use interface and simplicity of use. Quick on boarding for team members and clients.
  • Connection with email so alerts are sent via email and can be responded via email (adding the responses to the task)
  • Easy way to organize and move tasks around.
  • Project templates.
  • Gantt charts would have been extremely useful but I understand it would add complexity to the simplicity that I love about Basecamp like start and end dates for each task.
  • Dependable tasks. Have one start once the one it depends on ends.
  • The interface, although I personally like it, I believe it could use facelift. I believe Asana has a more professional look for example where Basecamp is a bit more "juvenile".
For smaller agencies or companies with simpler projects. I have to say that we had our whole 250 step web design process there and Basecamp handled it very well. But my team is very segmented so we have many people for one project and they interact often, so if having dependable tasks is crucial for you Basecamp may not be the best fit.

Agencies with smaller teams or smaller processes can really excel with this tool and successful manage all of their projects directly from Basecamp, reducing the crazy amount of emails that can result from not having a project management system in place.
Read Barbara Carneiro's full review
January 17, 2018

Basecamp Review: "Great Product"

We are using Basecamp to create and track our projects and events in our computer software organization. Basecamp suits us perfectly. The best benefit we have had from using this software has been that I have been able to improve and control the times of the projects that I am in charge of in my work.
  • Team Collaboration will be easy
  • Takes a new and different approach to project managing
  • Good Customer Service
  • Lack of flexibility
  • Don't have mobile version
  • Lack of Editing options
I most like its simplicity and its design. Basecamp designed very well and easy to navigate. Tools are impressive and useful. Customer service helps so much. Time management and calendar features are not good as others. It has lack of the time tracking tools. And they need to update notification system.
Read Feliks Nowak's full review
January 17, 2018

Basecamp Review: "Intuitive and Fun to Use!"

Basecamp is used to encourage collaboration across multiple teams and multiple geographic areas. It is a new tool for our organization and offers a platform for us to generate ideas, make plans, and hold team members accountable, as well as idea share and give feedback/input. It is an excellent tool for project management, for those who know project management and those who don't.
  • Managing reports for various users so I can quickly see what is on my plate and the plates of others.
  • Easy to use, intuitive interface. People with all technological skill levels will be able to use the program.
  • Monitor activity several ways - by person, by date, or by project segment.
  • Better integration with Google Docs and e-mail (could show a display of the doc instead of the icon, auto-assign an e-mail to a project, etc).
  • A feature that would allow you to resurrect a project and tasks, that would automatically clear out the history so you could start fresh without having to re-enter all the tasks.
  • It would be great to be able to toggle between seeing completed tasks and uncompleted tasks, both all at once, or just one at a time. Being able to see only the uncompleted tasks on a project would be helpful to give a better overview of what still needs to be done.
Basecamp is best utilized for teams of people assigned to work on multi-layered projects. It is especially useful for my team who has members who work remotely or part-time. The best part of using Basecamp is that it allows me to spend focus time working on this specific project, and there is less clutter in my inbox because all the questions are contained to Basecamp. I've tried to use it just for my own use as a task manager, but it's not set up well for that.
Read Amy Wellner's full review
January 16, 2018

Review: "Basecamp - the best camp you've ever seen"

Basecamp is used across the whole organization, linking HR or marketing departments with people from the board or IT department. Thanks to its features, it is much easier to manage some projects all together and notify about the progress of a particular process. It also solves problems with uploading files or their storage.
  • Files storage - you can access your files easily and in no time
  • Notifications - there is no way to miss anything
  • Task delegating - projects are managed in a clear, transparent way
  • Better mobile app - sometimes it doesn't work properly and mobile apps are important factors to me
  • More functionalities in Campfire section
  • Dashboard easy to customize
Basecamp will work wonders for advertising agencies, graphic designers, HR departments or even an IT environment. Wherever you have a lot of people to manage, and a lot of projects to be done, and a lot of tasks to delegate, Basecamp will put it all together and let you think about your business rather than about how to get your business organized. I can't think of an example where Basecamp wouldn't play a crucial role.
Read Kinga Odziemek's full review
January 16, 2018

Basecamp Review: "Easy to use"

Basecamp makes tasks and jobs easier. We are especially using Basecamp for editing and tracking projects and events on time. For example, if you have one project or event that must be done in short time period, then Basecamp will be the best for you. Because it's the best way to keep organized and prioritizing.
  • Good design
  • Friendly user interface
  • Reboust Calendar
  • Mobile version is needed
  • Price
I like most its simplicity. And besides this Basecamp is working so nice. The design is good, customer support is helpful and the overall user interface is so friendly. All features and tools are navigated to the best place and it feels very nice and convenient to use. Everything is in one place and no more meaningless tools.
Read Marzena Maciejewska's full review
January 12, 2018

Review: "Basecamp, simplicity isn't always your friend"

We are a creative agency. Our biggest client uses Basecamp for communicating on projects. That is how we were introduced to the tool about 8 years ago. Basecamp helps us limit some of the email back and forth, keep all the project details and communication in one place, limit some of the email communications and helps us keep track of the project status
  • Minimal interface, simple to use
  • The different content layout options are nice
  • We like the calendar notifications for project milestones
  • Quick to load and use
  • The biggest drawback is the file upload limitation of 2gb per file and the storage limitations (receiving a message after a file has uploaded saying the storage limit has been reached)
  • It lacks some basic formatting options for messages
  • The drag and drop feature can be buggy at times
  • The basic nature of Basecamp is nice but it doesn't offer the project management options a tool like Trello would for example
If an organization is looking for a very simple to use communication tool for projects, it has proven to be very effective. But it lack several features found in many of the new project management tools out there such has Trello, Smartsheet. I wold say that it depends on the need and the nature of the organization.
Read Arnaud Morichelli's full review
December 18, 2017

Basecamp Review: "It deserves a try!"

It's being used by 20-25 employees of our organization. When you start to work fully with Basecamp it will help you too much. Because all features and tools are designed like a masterpiece and every single one is located easily to find and you start to work quickly with them. Actually, at first, I did not believe when I saw its price because it's is too cheap for that kind of quality service. It deserves more.
  • Flexible
  • It does not require a long time to learn.
  • It's really good to have all of tools and information on one platform.
  • Friendly customer support
  • It's integrated with Google Drive, But in my view connection with other software would be really great, otherwise I have to use a variety of things for some specific task.
  • I can't complain about design, because it's really perfect, but I can't customize interface for myself.
  • Calendar view is not in good condition, It needs to be updated.
Basecamp is a well-designed application that provides perfect tools and features for unlimited projects and events. Working with Basecamp gives you chance to do your job more easily and with more efficient ways to collaborate with your co-workers. And autosave tool is perfect, like Google Suite it saves everything immediately, so you don't have to save everything. The main problem is there is no any client area. I want this because if we have a section for our clients or customers for a specific project, task or event it would be great to host them there.
Read Kasia Nowicka's full review
October 26, 2017

"Real Review of Basecamp"

We use Basecamp to communicate with a range of subcontractor and to manage workflow both internally and externally. Basecamp was key to our successful growth from revenues of under $500k per year to over $12.5M in a little more than 4 years. With that kind of explosive growth, it's very easy to lose track of how projects are progressing. If this happens clients aren't happy we all know what happens next, they leave.
  • Wonderful having all of the information in one platform that is very easy to search and extract exactly what you need
  • Great insight into project progress
  • Short learning curve
  • Flexible
  • We had some minor issues with outside vendor employees not understanding how to use the system
  • Some outside vendors were slow to adopt but that's not really a Basecamp issue, it's more of a bandwidth issue and willingness to try something new on their part.
Anyone that does project management with multiple vendors or departments will love this tool. If you're not doing high volume and/or multiple vendors/departments Basecamp may not be worth it.
Read Steve Herbert's full review
January 16, 2018

User Review: "Recommend Basecamp"

Basecamp is being used by a 6-person Marketing Department. It allows us to break down projects into manageable pieces and delegate appropriately. We can keep track of the progress without always having to meet.
  • Great for assigning to specific individuals
  • Great with keeping a calendar of projects
  • Great for keeping a record of what steps were done and who completed
  • There are some projects where I might want to assign two people to do the work. Currently, I have to make two entries and assign.

Basecamp is great for large projects or campaigns where there are many accountabilities and deadlines to follow.

It is less useful for small, one-off projects where a diary entry would be easier.

Read Heather MacDonald-Santiago's full review
December 05, 2017

Review: "Basecamp Helps Organize our Organization"

Basecamp is used widely within our marketing and digital departments. We use Basecamp to help track and manage current projects and communicate with other teams members within the tool. Basecamp helps teammates manage their workload and have a place to collaborate and track progress of projects. Because of our company's switch to Basecamp, we save time and energy, allowing us to do more with current resources.
  • Basecamp's user interface is attractive and simple, allowing anyone with basic computer skills the ability to successfully use this tool.
  • Basecamp helps organize projects in a meaningful and streamlined way.
  • Basecamp allows interoffice communication that helps track all collaborative feedback for each project in one place.
  • I would love for Basecamp to have a more robust instant messenger option. Pings work but would like to see this developed further.
If you have a need for project management and want a tool that everyone will actually use then Basecamp is for you.
If you need a highly technical PM tool then I'd possibly recommend something for business tailored.
Overall, I see very few scenarios that Basecamp couldn't help streamline and organize projects.
Read Jeff Williamson's full review
November 21, 2017

Basecamp Review: "Best way to work with projects and events!"

We currently using Basecamp in our department. Basecamp is type of project managing service that lets you do almost every kind of things about your work. So, the main reason to use it is its simplicity, Basecamp is a well designed and easy program which provides your work with all projects. As a software developer, I always need project management software to collaborate with my staff and also work with my projects and events. And Basecamp suits me perfectly.
  • It is good to see all information in one place.
  • Doesn't need too much time in first use.
  • You can work with unlimited projects and events.
  • It designed so perfectly, so Basecamp does not need to improve or update its design. It is just awesome.
  • Sometimes there can be scrolling problem. They must work on that problem.
  • And I think if they added a customer section to Basecamp, it would be much better.
For example, working with Basecamp is enough for both working with your projects and events and also it keeps the entire department in most the effective way of communicating. Basecamp provides awesome features such as groups, emails, lists, calendar and of course reminders for events. It can be useful for short-term projects and also long term ones. And it has trustworthy security!
Read Seweryna Zawadzka's full review
January 30, 2018

Basecamp Review: "How to handle the overhead tasks like a true boss"

We used basecamp to distribute and follow up on tasks in projects with a technical nature. Basecamp is a great tool to track bigger pieces of work, but less effective on detailed oriented projects since it's easy to get lost with all tasks. What's good with Basecamp is the dynamic web interface and simplicity it offers and how that can be used to involve colleagues with no previous experience and get them on track without further hassle.
  • Easy to use interface with possibility to work cross-functionally in the organization by assigning tasks between departments.
  • Support to carry a whole project portfolio.
  • Offers explicit support for any "less complex" projects with to-do lists.
  • Great support for file sharing across the organization.
  • We found it a bit too narrow for more detailed, complex technical projects.
I would recommend this tool to handle organizational needs to track work and share knowledge. As soon as you start assigning tasks, a few persons in the organization usually gets the motherload and get overwhelmed with work. If you can keep that from happening, you have yourself a really good platform with Basecamp. Use the tool wisely and set up rules around each project to make it work best.
January 17, 2018

Review: "Basecamp - Keep your project communication in one place."

Our project managers use Basecamp to manage communication, deliverables and track projects we are working on for our clients. It allows us to have all the project communication in one place that is easily accessible to everyone on the project. We can also have internal discussions that are private from the client in the project.
  • Keeps all project communication in one place.
  • Trace project milestones and deliverables.
  • It's not the most powerful or comprehensive solution, but it does great at what it specializes in.
A project where there are multiple individuals involved with and there is a need to keep project communication in one place for everyone to have access to. If you are just working one-to-one then it may not be necessary, though having a historical record of the project is very valuable.
April 04, 2017

Review: "Basecamp is better when doing it with others."

Basecamp is used as an external collaboration tool set for working on small to medium sized projects with external vendors as well as internal controls to ensure the project is within scope and on schedule. One of the important factors that Basecamp can provide is to allow the use of communication and collaboration that can take out most time wasted in meetings and sometimes all remove the need for a meeting. Meetings are however still integral to kick off or engaging in very critical functions such as; resolving immediate issues, elaborating on complex topics or problems. However, much of that can be recorded or accomplished within Basecamp.
  • Ability to login without the use of a password, as in, input your email address and a link will be sent to your mailbox to access the site. This improves usability and lower resources needed to administer lost or forgotten passwords or user account management.
  • Promotion of success within Basecamp through applauds really helps stimulate positive feedback when a milestone is met, or someone completes a minor task to a major task.
  • Free use of messaging on the message board and daily feedback from the site on activity from the previous day to all participants which helps streamline the communication and reporting to all rather than one person collecting reports or reliance on a few to report back.
  • Latest Activity gives a nice timeline view of the activities occurred throughout the lifespan of a campfire or within the Basecamp instance itself.
  • Samepage really has a better collaboration messaging system with channels and integration with other systems.
  • There is some functionality with linking google docs but would like to see better integration with a more wide range of applications or office suite products since we mostly use this for working with external vendors that use a vast range of products as well.
  • To Do lists are great, but would like to see better linkage to the messages, schedules and files. Sort of an overly complex request to a very simple process.
[Basecamp is well suited for] Working with third party vendors for collaborating on basic forms of project essentials such as schedules, to-do lists, message boards, documents and feedback on the activities completed throughout the day. This is very easy to use for simply asking questions or providing feedback or concerns while avoiding back channel communications or single communications to a single person that represents us or the third party company. It allows for everyone (or those specific to a campfire) to all see and provide feedback or information whenever necessary. It also is a great alternative to endless emails and wasteful meetings.

Where Basecamp tends to fall through the cracks for us, is in regards to the lack of desktop or workstation integration or reliance on third party applications to contribute, read or manage documents. It would also be more useful if there was a desktop like app or phone app that can allow for users to interact with Basecamp without logging in through the webpage. For internal functions, it just doesn't suit our needs since we have our own messenger system, or our document management system for ensuring secure docs stay secure.
Read Craig Lockley's full review

Task Management (42)
Resource Management (34)
Gantt Charts (14)
Scheduling (39)
Workflow Automation (25)
Team Collaboration (43)
Support for Agile Methodology (18)
Support for Waterfall Methodology (18)
Document Management (40)
Email integration (36)
Mobile Access (39)
Timesheet Tracking (18)
Change request and Case Management (22)
Budget and Expense Management (18)
Quotes/estimates (12)
Invoicing (10)
Project & financial reporting (12)
Integration with accounting software (10)

About Basecamp

Basecamp is a web-based project-management tool developed by 37signals in Chicago and launched in 2004. The Ruby on Rails framework was extracted from the Basecamp project.

Basecamp offers features standard to project management platforms, including to-do lists, wiki-style web-based text documents, milestone management, file sharing, time tracking and a calendar, and a messaging system. Mobile accessibility is supported. Notably, it supports unlimited users. It also offers integration with 37signals' own Campfire product, which expands the group messaging functionality of the core platform. Customization, accessibility, and functionality are extended further by the broad range of apps available for free from 3rd parties. A 2-month free trial is available. Pricing is dependent upon space requirements and the number of concurrent projects, not the number of users.

Basecamp Integrations