Overall Satisfaction with Avalara
We use Avalara across our sales and accounting departments. Avalara integrates with our e-commerce platform to calculate, charge, and collect sales tax. It's helpful that Avalara knows the correct rates to charge for all products in all jurisdictions for all classes of customers. That information is then transmitted to our accounting staff to reconcile with our internal records. Avalara then files the necessary tax returns.
- Determines tax rates for customers depending on that customer's exact ship-to location.
- Files returns correctly and on time.
- Tracks and uses customer supplied exemption certificates to determine a customer's taxability.
- Avalara assumes that companies have IT support. Dumbing down some of their training would be helpful.
- It has been very positive in that it has allowed us to be compliant in cases where we may not have otherwise had the resources.
- The negative impact has been that some customers will shop elsewhere if other vendors do not charge tax.
- The value of Avalara is immediate, as we don't have to hire people to do taxes.
- Big Commerce
Integrations with big fit-in-the-box applications like Big Commerce is a breeze! Thatcher is very customized but fortunately the team over there is very familiar with Avalara and making it work. It is funny that there are certain tweaks that can be made such as calculating tax at the item level or the cart level, which can greatly affect the cost of the service. There are some products out there like Paywhirl which offer no integration at all.
Once the data is contained inside of Avalara, the system is very user-friendly when it comes to looking at and using the data.
- Avalara Returns
We have used both Returns and CertCapture. At present we no longer use CertCapture but I anticipate needing it again in Q3 2020.
Avalara was in place when I came on board, and the experience has been so positive that as we have encountered other needs, we have gone directly to Avalara.
Avalara is well-suited to a company that has accounting software that has the ability to integrate through API. It becomes more manual when you have a situation where third-party software does not integrate well.
Avalara Feature Ratings
- Implemented in-house
You need to be honest with yourself on your abilities to implement the products. It turned out that we required far more support than we originally thought.
- Big Commerce
The integration was quite simple with well-known software products. Paywhirl, in particular, does not integrate.