- It provides answers to commonly asked Sales Tax questions. Avalara's website is very user-friendly and you can get most of all your answers to any of your questions right then and there.
- Monthly Sales Tax filings- The reports to reconcile with are very detailed and make sales tax life so much easier.
- Integrates well with other accounting systems. It will make your day to day billing process so much faster. The system validates addresses by location to get you the correct tax amount every time as you are billing.
- I'm guessing the only con would be that sometimes we do get issues where we get like a timeout, and the system takes too long to ping back into our system and the document doesn't get uploaded onto the admin console and we have to manually enter into that month the invoice was done. But the admin console is very user-friendly so it doesn't take much to upload it. I'm not too sure you can do anything about speeding up the internet!
- I'm thinking what would be nice if you had an automation of mailing out the invoices as well.
- The tax has automatically calculated the instance that invoice is generated.
- The sales tax rates are maintained on Avalara's side. Whenever there's a sales tax rate change for any jurisdiction, Avalara will update the rate.
- The User Interface is very user-friendly. Reports can be constructed and filtered in many ways (by state, by types of documents, etc.)
- Avalara doesn't have the ability to tax multiple jurisdictions if you have one invoice line item but have a quantity of more than 1. This is relevant for when you have 100 software licenses and these licenses are used throughout multiple jurisdictions.
- Avalara needs to find a solution to handle and remit use tax that is not manual-intensive work.
- It sometimes takes a while to connect to chat support when you try to get support during peak hours.
- Provides accurate rooftop sales tax rates.
- Collects transactional data for building returns.
- Timely submit returns to individual states.
- Needs to ensure there are not unnecessary prepayments submitted.
- Tech Support needs to verify support tickets have been properly resolved prior to closing a ticket.
- Calculate Sales Tax
- Record tax in a secure system (books of record)
- File timely sales tax reports
- While it works perfectly with WooCommerce sales, it doesn't handel returns, requiring me to manually correct my book of record (AvaTax).
- Setup can be very painful (but with the new improvements to the UI it has become much easier).
- It can get a little expensive.
- Robust search function, regardless if it's a customer based search or certificate search.
- Uploading function - can feed the information from our ERP system into CertCapture.
- Reporting seems to be easy.
- Help center and webinars are helpful tools.
- Uploading is a great tool. However, the template seems to be very rigid. We sometimes have to try multiple times to finally get it to work, even with your tech support.
- Customer types are somewhat confusing. Especially after we started using AvaTax, we realized certain types are not really valid in AvaTax, i.e. Exporters.
- Tracks the taxable and non taxable sales by month by state (or reporting area in foreign areas).
- Tracks the actual tax by reporting city (we have sales in multiple cities with different sales tax rates. The tax is quickly and accurately calculated for each area.
- We never have to worry about being late or a payment not getting to a state in time. We submit by 10th of the month and the payment is automatically pulled from our account.
- The speed at which transactions load. If I wait until the 7th-10th of the month, it seems that the speed at which transactions load for me to confirm is very very slow.
- I'd like to have multiple sort functions when I go to confirm (approve) transactions. It is nice to sort by state. I'd like to be able to sort by state (or country), then by invoice type.
- Auto reminder if I have not committed the transactions by the 9th, to remind me to complete the next day. Helpful if I am out of the office.
- Avalara Returns offers timely returns filed for our company.
- Avalara Returns is an automated process with many issues with filings that humans processing the work would be able to find easily.
- Filing discrepancies often take place which causes our company downtime of our resources where we have already paid for the services for this to be outsourced.
- Avlara has room for consistency to be applied and their processes to be made more transparent. When errors occur it's often like pulling teeth or grabbing for straws to see the "why" of what happened, and even more so to avoid it happening again in the future.
- AvaTax is reliable. In the three years I have been using it, there has been only one system outage that affected one day of our sales transactions.
- AvaTax knows how to calculate the correct sales tax rate for states with specific origin, destination, and mixed sourcing rules such as California, Illinois, and Texas.
- The AvaTax reporting tool is easy to navigate and provides useful reports for tax return filing.
- In my experience, the AvaTax rate database is updated regularly, so we never have to worry about making sure AvaTax is keeping up with tax rate changes.
- AvaTax allows us to customize which taxing jurisdictions we want to "turn on" down to the most local level.
- AvaTax can be set up to charge sales tax or seller's/vendor's/retailer's use tax rates on a state-by-state basis.
- AvaTax uses the U.S. Postal Service address database to calculate tax rates for specific locations. Usually, this is extremely accurate. However, in the case of new construction projects without an established address, sometimes the tax calculator fails to locate the ship-to address. When this occurs, the tax calculator appears to default to the center of the zip code for the address provided, which can lead to an incorrect rate being used. This is an infrequent issue, and we are usually able to sort it out with our customers.
- AvaTax keeps on top of taxing jurisdiction rate changes. However, in the month when a new rate takes effect, the AvaTax report sometimes shows sales for that jurisdiction segregated into two lines. Total sales are correct, but we have to manually add the two lines together.
- Allows flexibility to setup different scenarios depending on the data we receive from our fuel inventory system.
- I love that Avalara listens to their customers and enhances the software to make our return filing more seamless.
- Their conferences allow their customer to get together and meet other software users and share their tips with each other
- if you are adding additional information to a location, it would be nice to append the additional information, for instance, if the state now requires a county code, but the address information hasn't changed.
- Reconciliation reports that can be added to the return to show a summarized version of the data on the return.
- An additional function to add a check request of cash voucher with payment information and GL account information for approval and posting.
- Provides accurate tax rates which ensures that we are charging the right amount to our customers.
- Calculates tax quickly and efficiently so we can get invoices out the same day.
- Allows us to set up tax scenarios specific to our company.
- Since our process is manual, it would help if the templates had better instructions.
- While the reports are coming back quicker, you still have to pull them separately. It would be really helpful if the document report could be downloaded as part of the result file.
- We could use better tax reports for manually filing returns.
- They have good support teams.
- The break sales tax rates down by state to the highest level they can go.
- They easily work with our point of sale system for every order.
- They don't notify us of changes in rates so we are aware of them.
- Their online website isn't always accurate and up to date.
- There are specials rules in every state, like higher rates in malls, that we still have to research and be aware of.
- Easy to add/update tax profiles - user-friendly as easy to follow
- Able to find taxability for products or services quickly
- Like the sales tax calculator which helps us put correct tax rates on the invoices
- Adding a quick Nexus questionnaire before creating tax rules or codes - that helps us determine what tax activities we should comply
- Inserting a map feature like Google Map to view jurisdictions clearly and quickly
- Expanding API feature for accounting apps such as Sage Intacct and QuickBooks
- Calculate state a local tax rates correctly.
- Remit payments to the states timely and accurately so we get our early payment credits.
- Maintain archives as support in the event of an audit or for internal reporting needs.
- Tax calculations for services, exempt or not based on State and type of service.
- setting up special tax codes that can be customized to the client.
- Monthly newsletter with Sales Tax updates or changes shared in one place.
- I have found Avalara to be extremely easy to implement and maintain.
- Avalara offers a tool called CertCapture to ensure tax exemption certificates are maintained and applied correctly.
- Avalara's admin console is extremely intuitive and it's easy to contact support.
- Follow-through from Avalara support could be better to ensure issues are completely resolved.
- I have not used their foreign VAT module yet, but I understand it's still in its early phase.
- I would like to see more granular Avatax codes to ensure our products/services matchup more accurately with the taxability codes with Avalara.
- Very good product for excise tax returns
- I would like them to integrate with more state websites for filing
- If you have to submit sales tax in California, then you will love Avalara AvaTax! It keeps all the tax divisions in the right divisions separate.
- The liability worksheet makes it easy to check the amounts to be submitted, which you approve prior to submittal.
- Avalara AvaTax keeps you in control of the sales and use tax, which saves you time and stress.
- The training on the system could be much better. We only use the system once a quarter, so it difficult to remember something you only use in that time frame.
- Better help with the committed items, as sometimes they do not commit.
- Make the system reminders for the liability worksheet pertain only to your client's time-frame. We are quarterly, so please don't send us a reminder every month, it's confusing, especially when we are new to your system.
- Great customer support
- Admin console is very user friendly and organized
- Keeping you current with tax rate changes and rules
- We have a lot of farm addresses. Since they aren't mailing addresses in the postal service we sometimes have problems with tax calculations.
It was the establishment of our e-commerce web store that got us started with AvaTax. It easily integrated with our 3dcart store software. The on-boarding process was quick and easy. All of our online transactions were done automatically and accurately.
We then purchased the API option and developed an interface from our ERP system to pull the tax rates from AvaTax. Now even our offline sales are calculated with 100% accuracy. No more manual tax tables.
- Accurately calculates the appropriate sales tax for every transaction.
- Tax tables are updated constantly so we don't have to worry about it.
- Works with our ecommerce software as well as our ERP system.
- None offered. AvaTax works for us.
- Reporting capabilities are fantastic - By State, Time Period, etc.
- Ease of use - The software is very intuitive, even updates are easy to learns and understand.
- Setup - Rather easy to add files/date manual or upload bulk data quickly!
- One login to access Certcapture & Avatax would be nice.
- Drag and Drop function would be nice.
- An editable dashboard as your welcome page would be nice.
- Good Products- Both AvaTax and CertCapture are really good software products.
- Connection between AvaTax and CertCapture is great.
- Having a direct person to work with for AvaTax returns would be helpful. Right now I have to call support and explain everything each time over and over again.
- I would like if all billing was available online to view and pay. If you use professional services the bills don't come through website.
- I have several accounts between CertCapture and AvaTax and I have tried to get my account information (contact and address) updated but it hasn't been updated everywhere.
- The biggest issue I had with Returns is the lack of flexibility with the process. My company is always changing and that means sometimes I have last minute changes and Avalara doesn't allow for that. Another issue I had with the returns process is regarding non-registered amounts. Right now there is no report that will tell me how much I have charged over the time it takes me to get registered. I have to pull up each month to find total amount.
- Avalara AvaTax helps us to avoid the urgency of filing with multiple states at the end of the month. We are a smaller sized company and this would be a strain on resources.
- AvaTax takes the guesswork out of which states we have nexus in with using their expert guidance.
- AvaTax has one of the best online help systems I have ever used.
- I can’t think of anything I would change.
- AvaTax calculates the correct sales tax based on the street address entered. Not having to maintain tax tables is a huge time savor and makes it possible for us to stay in compliance.
- AvaTax prepares the monthly and quarterly tax returns eliminating the need for my staff to manually prepare 30 returns all with different formats and levels of information required.
- AvaTax provides a file upload option as a means for us to remit use tax to our home state. This is necessary since our ERP system does not integrate the PO or AP systems to AvaTax.
- I find that sometimes customer service or our account manager are a bit slow to respond.
- The annual renewal process is not as efficient as it should be. Making changes to the account, adding or changes options, is particularly painful.
- Avatax has a ton of content - over 2000 tax codes to address the many needs of an e-commerce company
- Avatax's user interface is easy to navigate and makes working in Avatax easy and efficient
- Avatax syncs directly with our API which allows us to apply the appropriate tax rates and make tax calls in real time
- While Avalara does have a great range of content, they're still behind some of their competitors in terms of industry specific content. This could be expanded upon.
- Allows for accurate reporting
- The ability to query data in a manner that is useful to analyze
- Functionality - a user should be able to work throughout the program by using keyboard strokes, especially when filtering on information. Example: I want to filter for a state, I should be able to click into the Jurisdiction column, type in the State needed the tab to the filter box and use my arrow keys up or down to select starts with or contains, etc.. this functionality was available however it went away recently. The less a person has to move their hand away from the keyboard the more productive they are. You spend a lot of time jumping from keyboard to mouse.
Avalara Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
Avalara AvaTax helps thousands of customers accurately calculate sales and use taxes based on up-to-date tax data. AvaTax provides 580+ integrations with the most commonly-used business applications including ERP, POS, E-commerce, Billing, and CRM, to support quick deployment.
AvaTax also handles VAT, GST, and other transactional taxes for millions of products and services across thousands of tax jurisdictions. The solution also supports connectivity to custom applications with a well-documented and robust developer toolkit. The vendor's value proposition is that AvaTax’s cloud-based software is easy-to-use and fast-to-implement, ensuring a rapid return on investment.
Avalara Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Avalara Technical Details
|Mobile Application:||Mobile Web|