Avalara review

April 23, 2022
We use Avalara to generate sales tax liability reports and tax-exempt customer certificates.

Run away.

January 27, 2022

Sales and Use Taxes (215)

Tax Exemption Processing (148)

Tax Data Reporting (181)

3rd-Party Software Integrations (159)

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Avalara, and make your voice heard!

• Setup fee optional
For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://www.avalara.com/us/en/products/…

Starting price (does not include set up fee)

• $21 per month

Type of tax

Tax Reporting & Compliance

What is Avalara?

Avalara aims to help businesses get tax compliance right. Avalara customers can manage tax obligations from state, local, and other tax authorities around the world through the platform. Avalara states that the value proposition for users is that its tool provide efficient and more accurate solutions for managing those requirements.

The Avalara Tax Compliance Suite — Avalara AvaTax, Avalara Returns, and Avalara CertCapture — offers solutions for various transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and others. Through the suite, users can calculate taxes, file and remit returns, and comply with document management requirements. More than 700 integrations are available for accounting systems, ERP and CRM providers, ecommerce platforms, and more. The company also offers Professional Services including Tax Advisory Services, Implementation Services, Managed Services, and Support Plans and Training to help customers prepare for and achieve compliance.

Avalara Features

• Supported: Compliance Administration Management
  • Supported: Tax Exemption Processing
  • Supported: Tax Document Management
  • Supported: Complex Tax Scenario Management

• Supported: Centralized tax management: Unify sales and use tax calculation, document management, and returns preparation under a single platform.
  • Supported: Integrations: AvaTax connects with more than 700 prebuilt integrations to connect with your accounting, ecommerce, POS, and other systems, plus an advanced API.
  • Supported: Cloud-based: A software-as-a-service solution, AvaTax updates take effect as soon as they are deployed, helping to ensure you are using the most current information.
  • Supported: Exemption management: Request certificates from vendors and store them electronically for easy access and to effectively track expiration dates. Send automatic renewal requests before certificates expire.
  • Supported: Returns filing and remittance: Returns preparation and remittance in multiple jurisdictions. Avalara Returns can track and manage due dates and payment requirements, enabling you to pay all your returns with a single source of payment.
  • Supported: Lodging: Manage lodging tax for your hotel or rental property with a solution that plugs into your reservation software to deliver lodging tax calculations in real time as well as prepares, files, and remits your lodge tax returns.
  • Supported: Communications: Delivers tax calculations on a broad array of communications transactions by directly connecting to your current billing or ERP system, or to an in-house build via API.
  • Supported: Beverage Alcohol: Simplifying regulatory compliance for suppliers, distributors, and retailers in the beverage alcohol industry.

Avalara Screenshots

Avalara Video

Taxes happen -- everywhere and every day. Good thing Avalara technology makes sure you pay the right amount of tax, every time. Isn't it time we did the same for your business?

Avalara Downloadables

Avalara Integrations

Avalara Competitors

Avalara Technical Details

Mobile ApplicationMobile Web

What is Avalara?

Avalara AvaTax connects to the software that businesses already have and delivers sales tax decisions based on precise geo-location in more than 12,000 taxing jurisdictions in the U.S.

How much does Avalara cost?

Avalara starts at $21.

What is Avalara's best feature?

Reviewers rate Sales and Use Taxes highest, with a score of 8.8.

Who uses Avalara?

The most common users of Avalara are from Mid-sized Companies (51-1,000 employees) and the Computer Software industry.

We use Avalara on a daily basis for calculating taxes on all of our goods and service. Recently we migrated our ERP software and had to integrate Avalara with our new ERP software.
  • Tax Exemptions
  • Tracking tax on all transactions
  • customer service
  • transitioning accounts to new account managers
Avalara has done a great job of helping us understand how AvaTax works and integrates with our new software
  • ERP
very user friendly
April 23, 2022

Avalara review

• Generate sales tax liability reports for each state
  • Let us know when we have reached nexus for filing in a new state
  • Certcapture - customer sales tax exempt forms
  • Integrates with our ERP (Navision) to generate correct sales tax on customer invoices
  • Responding to questions more timely (email and/or phone call)
Overall, Avalara is working well for us; however, when we have an issue or question, we are basically on our own to figure it out.
  • Navision
Somewhat difficult initially
After initial setup and integration, usability is good - provided no questions or issues are present.
We use Avalara to collect and remit sales tax on applicable sales. We also use the CertCapture feature in our Wholesale side of the business to properly exclude sales tax on those applicable sales. Without Avalara, we would not be able to be as effective and efficient as we are. They save us time, money, and headaches when it comes to the Sales Tax arena.
  • Accuracy
  • Timeliness
  • Completeness
  • Account rep communications
  • deeper assistance in registering in nexus areas
Avalara is very much needed in a high transaction count company. The Avalara system speaks with our Point of Sale system and quickly calculates the required sales tax to collect based on the purchaser's location/shipping address. The fact that they stay up to date on the ever-changing sales tax percentages, is massive. If you are in a majority of the states that require you to collect sales tax once you have economic nexus, then Avalara is a must-have.
  • Accounting
  • ERP
  • eCommerce
Luckily, our IT Manager was able to easily integrate Avalara across all of our necessary platforms.
Avalara is very user friendly
We use Avalara Consumer Use to manage our use tax obligations. Within the construction world, we do not have a lot of sales tax, but we have large consumer use obligations, and our ERP system was not adept at identifying the issues. We implemented ACU to save us time on researching every invoice that was hitting our system. We were able to reduce the time in half, thanks to the software. We use Avalara business licenses to manage our growing number of license renewals. Along with around 200 licenses for our base business, we have 7 subsidiaries that we are having to manage licenses for. Between business licenses and contractor licenses, this was becoming an overwhelming task for my small department. We had tried a competitor for about a year and they did a horrible job, so when the opportunity came to work with a company that I have been working with for years, I jumped at it. We were fans of TTR before Avalara purchased them. Their vast construction library was what really drew us in and we were working with them after having a really bad experience with another research product. Once Avalara purchased them, though the only thing I can say is that the service and product have gotten better! It is awesome to have a single company managing all of our tax needs.
  • Service
  • Knowledge
  • Integrity
  • There is a need for a centralized account manager across all products. We struggle with knowing who to speak to depending on which product we need help with.
In my previous job, we used Avalara for sales tax, and we struggled a little because of the type of customers we had. We manufactured large culverts, bridges, and other items that were used in construction, but were typically not delivered to addresses. This caused some issues when trying to track down the right taxing jurisdiction. If your company though, is a more typical business-to-business company, Avalara is definitely the right choice. The sheer number of taxing codes that they have the research behind is amazing and would definitely help you to ensure that you are in compliance. I would also recommend them if you are typically seeing high-dollar audits. Despite some of the issues with calculating with no address, at my prior company we went from regularly seeing 5-6 figure sales tax audits to zero dollar sales tax audits. Having them to help with the decisions and ensuring the rates were up to date really saved us money.
  • We use PENTA, but that is not an option for integration, so we just use uploads
We do not integrate the system with our software, it is all standalone.
I will admit to struggling a bit with ACU and Business Licenses. We could use a little more training on those products
We use AvaTax as a main Sales Tax Calculation, and also have Return services. I am extremely happy with AvaTax as I have used it before and used it at my current company, but I wish I can say the same for Returns. Standard Return Service makes it extremely difficult to obtain answers when it comes to returning filing. It also is difficult to reconcile the sales tax account for accounting. Due to the high growth of my company, we require an upgrade to our current AvaTax and are unable to do so because it is tied with the Intact contract. I seem to have no help from anyone whom I reached out to at Avalara.
  • Nexus creation
  • tax calculation
  • product codes
  • Adding more returns to standard service, may help other companies as well
  • 1:1 Service rather than going to Customer Service every time with any issues
  • Every account should have a TM assigned so we can reach out when needed.
Avalara is the well-known company now for its tax calculation and appears to have the BEST PRODUCTs in the market. Overall, I am happy using the product, but need to figure out how I can upgrade my product and services.
  • Intact
  • QBooks
n/a.. I was not involved in this process
The main core product "AvaTax" works extremely well along with CertCapture. There is always something that sometimes runs into issues- so always room for improvement based on the user's experience
We use Avalara to calculate the taxes for our shipments to over 40 states in the U.S. Without Avalara it would be nearly impossible to keep up with the tax rates and rate changes.
  • Calculate Sales Tax.
  • Tax Compliance.
  • Stay up to date with tax laws.
  • Updating the companies accounts when they have reached a new level of filing status.
  • Better follow-up from sales team.
Calculating taxes for sales made specifically in complicated jurisdictions. CertCapture is also a nice feature if you're willing to pay the upcharge. We were audited by our state and Avalara was not really much help with the resale certificates, but the reports did come in very handy and very accurate.
  • Sage (erp)
  • Shopify (ecommerce)
Very simple integration with both systems.
The amount of time saved calculating taxes is worth the cost.
We ship products to all 50 states and Avalara products have been game-changers for keeping track of sales tax, filing returns on our behalf, storing exemption certificates, and determining nexus.
  • Track nexus status.
  • File SST returns.
  • Store exemption certificates.
  • Implementation - did not have much help in setting up.
  • Flow of website - format changes often.
Avalara is great once it's set up and functioning. It's very helpful in tracking sales and tax, as well as nexus status. Getting set up was a huge task that could have been guided a little better to make the process less frustrating.
  • Infor Visual ERP
Integration was a breeze with the help of Synergy.
The format of the website tends to change frequently - which leads to some confusion. The website tends to crash often, but only briefly.
We use Avalara to calculate our sales and seller's taxes on customer invoices and to file our sales tax returns in 15 states. This helps us to focus on our core business functions and leave the administration of tax rules and calculations to the professionals. We don't have to worry about not being compliant or having the wrong tax rate.
  • Portal is very helpful, detailed, and user friendly.
  • I love how I can generate a lot of different reports on sales and sales tax by state, etc.
  • Can reach assistance by phone whenever you have a question.
  • Better trained phone assistants - often I figure out a problem I've called after a while of waiting on hold while they check on it.
  • Need to be able to mark invoices to Canada as "customer's broker used" so they don't assess GST or HST on these ones. The broker has to collect it by law so it makes the customer get charged twice, which they don't like and refuse to pay us as well as their broker. So we have to process these ones without going through Avalara - kind of a pain.
  • Need to show the accrued amount on "tax details and adjustments" for any states where you have filing periods larger than one month. I have to go back in my records to see what the accrued taxes are for previous months to make sure that the tax amount listed is correct before I approve each month.
I haven't used other sales tax service providers, so I can't compare it to others. However, I have found it to be extremely necessary as we grow and expand into other states so that we aren't spending all our time figuring out the complex tax laws, jurisdictions, rates, etc. for our customer sales. It gives us peace of mind that the correct taxes are being filed and we are compliant. There are definitely areas for improvement, but it's a great service.
  • BigCommerce (ecommerce website)
  • Roostock/Financial Force
  • Infor
Infor is a lot less integrated and takes a lot more admin to do the same things as we did in Rootstock.
We have had a number of issues with the integration, but overall we are glad we have Avalara. Some of the things we have run into I have mentioned earlier in this survey, but are: not being able to exempt GST/HST on Canadian invoices for customers using their own broker, the "tax interface tax credit" in Infor not always matching the results in Avalara, no accrued taxes amount showing in the "tax details & adjustments" area, which I use for monthly reconciliation, not being able to have more than one type of exemption at the same time for the same customer, based on the product code.
April 21, 2022

I LOVE AVALARA!!!

We use Avalara for tax compliance and document management. We are a large company and it helps us file sales and uses tax returns efficiently and timely with ease. It keeps up with Nexus compliance and it takes the thinking out of knowing when and how close you are getting before triggering Nexus requirements.
  • Quick communication back when you have questions or issues.
  • The have awesome webinars and presenters.
  • The tax compliance software is very user friendly.
  • I honestly don't know at this current point in time.
Avalara is very much needed in today's business world to stay compliant with all the jurisdictions you plan to do business in. Avalara is very user-friendly however, you do have to spend a little time getting to know the software to make daily activities more effective and efficient. Tax requirements are very convolute in 2022 so we need all the help we can get. Avalara A++++
  • ETERM/ECLIPSE
Its very user friendly.
  • in-person training
We use AvaTax to calculate rates on sales orders. We have issues with addresses bringing back incorrect rates when inside/outside city limits or special jurisdictions. We use Cert Capture to retain imagines of certificates. Our issue with this is the price of the product. Very Expensive.
  • It simplified rates on sales orders
  • Audit Reports are good.
  • Makes filing returns easy - since we do not have to send much data (we import use tax and bad debt)
  • Avalara's customer service has gotten worse over the years. Long wait times and the initial support person usually can't resolve this issue We seem to waste a lot of time in this area.
  • The new process of entering a support ticket via the website instead of email is not preferred. It makes the whole process take longer to resolve. Also, when support replies to the ticket, the original issue is not included so we have to stop and research what we sent as the issue.
  • Our account rep is always trying sell add-on products even when in the middle of an issue.
I would recommend Avalara, as it's been a great tool for my company. I think Avatax is good, but not perfect. We have to have a lot of custom rules.
  • DMSI Agility (ERP)
  • Vertex Returns - not good fit
I find it fairly easy to use, but still have to contact support sometimes to find things or ask for help i.e., System Tax Codes.
We use it for obtaining our sales tax rates. We also use CertCapture for exemption certificates.
  • Cloud based
  • Flexibility -- allows me to immediately change/override an address to get the rate I need.
  • Visibility of transactions
  • They used to have a color coded map that showed the spot address tax rate and the color coded areas showed the area of that tax rate area -- as well as the nearby ones and those rates. That went away. I now pay someone else for something similar. This was a big blow and disappointment.
  • Communication process seems to have gotten worse over the years (maybe as your company has gotten bigger) in my opinion.
  • My account, transactions numbers, etc. used to be easily seen when I log in. Now it's either taken away, wrong figures, unable to show, etc. Weird and very annoying.
It's better than the other two systems I've used in the past. I like the cloud based aspect. I also like the flexibility. There are simple items that can easily make it better. Some things you had before; some things just to add. Some are basic common sense.
  • SAP
it was difficult -- then again, SAP is difficult with everything.
Overall it's good. User friendly and good flexibility. Not perfect by any means though.
Avalara system is used for Address validation, Tax Calculation, Certificate Capture, and Tax Return process.
  • Tax Caluclation
  • Address validation
  • Tax Returns
  • Integration
  • Technical information
Avalara systems work as expected, we used to have outages but they have been reduced by a lot. We still have some integration issues with committing the Invoices and need to have a better understanding of the system scope.
  • SAP - ERP Software
  • B2B Ecommerce
  • B2C Ecommerce
There is complexity in implementing the integration and in a few cases supporting it
Avalara works as designed, but as explained in earlier statements there is room for improvements in Integration and address validation
Andy Webber | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Avalara as our primary system to track and collect all Tax Exempt certifications that we get from our schools and school district partners. In addition, we also log every transaction that we make into Avalara in order to have automated returns created for us and sent to the IRS. This allows us to not have a dedicated Finance person on our staff.
  • Collects Tax Exempt certifications
  • Calculates tax on all purchases
  • Files our state and federal tax documents
  • It can be slow to load at times
  • UI changes fairly often
  • Recently ran into some bugs when inputting certificates
Avalara is well suited for any small or medium business that wants their employees to focus on the actual job at hand instead of getting bogged down tracking who has what tax exemption and how that factors into our pricing to determine if we charge tax on each deal. I can't think of any situation where Avalara is not well suited.
  • N/A
To be honest, we currently use Avalara as a standalone platform and it is not currently integrated with any of our other platforms or tech that we use. Even without any integrations, Avalara has proven itself to be a phenomenal tool and an easy investment decision to make.
I give Avalara a rating of 10 because of how easy it has been to train various, lower level employees to use the platform with fidelity. Even in my own training as an Account Executive who is responsible for calculating taxes on new deals, I was able to pick up the Avalara platform fairly quickly because of how easy and intuitive it is to use.
January 27, 2022

Run away.

Stay away from this service. We used Avatax to help monitor economic nexus and file returns. We were initially quoted under $1000 for the year for this service. I have now been charged upwards of $6,000 in a 12 month period. Mind you, we file returns for one state, and our business has less than 3,500 transactions per year. I have found customer service to be incredibly unhelpful. This is 100% not OK.
  • In my opinion, nothing
  • customer service
  • billing
  • technical support
Do not sign up for this service. In my experience, It is a waste of money.
  • WooCommerce
In my opinion, They are terrible
Unfortunately, I can't recommend this product. Communication and customer support are abysmal in my experience. It does a good job of interfacing with our Woocommerce site to properly calculate sales tax based on customer's location and our nexus, but if you run into any issues you're in for a frustrating experience in my opinion. Don't expect them to keep you properly informed on what's happening with sales tax rules in the 50 state (I thought that's what we were paying them for, but apparently not), and it feels like you're pretty much on your own if you have questions about how or when you need to collect and remit sales tax. I would consider myself very tech-savvy and able to navigate new technologies effectively; that being said, I feel their website is utterly confusing and not at all user-friendly. This means you'll often have to reach out to customer support to figure out what needs to be done, which brings me back to: the customer service is abysmal. It's been incredibly frustrating using Avalara for the last couple of years, and I'm currently looking at switching to other providers.
  • Automate sales tax calculation on Woocommerce sites
  • Automate filing of sales tax returns in multiple states
  • Communication
  • Pricing
  • Website navigation
  • Assistance with navigating multi-state sales tax
  • Customer service
  • Customer service (yes, I intended to add it 4 times)
If you're looking for a company that makes multi-state sales tax compliance, collection, and remittance easy, I would not recommend Avalara.
  • Woocommerce
  • Quickbooks Desktop
The setup was easy enough. The people you get to talk to while setting up your account and onboarding are generally helpful and easy to work with. However, from my experience, don't expect to ever talk to a human again—especially a helpful one—after they have you set up and locked in with a subscription.
The Woocommerce integration works well and is fairly easy to set up. Other than that, I have mostly just experienced frustration with Avalara.
Kristina Beckman | TrustRadius Reviewer
This software was incredibly expensive. They were also increasing our pricing with every year. It was not fully integrated with our software, every time we submitted notices, we were told that in order to help us they need to charge us extra. Once when we finally canceled our service, they canceled our sales tax registration with 23 states "by mistake". Very nonresponsive.
  • Nothing
  • Price
  • Responsiveness
  • Customer Service
  • Software Integration
[In my experience,] Stay away from Avalara for your own good.
  • Magento 1.9
  • Shopify Basic
Shopify Basic was not integrated at all, had to manually import transactions. Magento integration had errors.
It was a struggle using this product for three years
We currently use Avalara to file our sales tax returns. Avalara is a very helpful program that saves us a lot of time when filing sales tax. Since we sell in almost all 50 states, it is hard to keep up with the changing tax laws and tax rates. Therefore partnering with Avalara takes the guesswork out of are we charging the right tax amount to our customer. Avalara is a good product that can benefit companies of all sizes.
  • calculating sales tax
  • updating tax rates
  • filing returns
  • there are some localities that Avalara says needs to be a certain rate while the customer says it should be another rate
Avalara is appropriate for businesses of all sizes. They offer many different services that all companies can benefit from to some extent when they use Avalara.
  • Epicor
Very easy
Easy to use
December 23, 2021

Avid Avalara User

We use Avalara to help collect & remit sales/use tax. It is a helpful tool in determining what states we are required to file in as well as [determining] when we meet economic nexus thresholds for certain states we do not have a physical presence in. The webinars they offer are always really engaging and super helpful. Like all tools - we have had issues with importing transactions & switching over from their legacy import to the new one. However, their support team is quick to respond when tickets are opened.
  • Reporting
  • Making nexus thresholds obvious
  • New transaction import
  • making adjustments to specific transactions
Avalara is helpful if you are collecting & remitting sales tax across multiple states & [need] to keep track of sales as well as exemption documentation. Avalara might be less appropriate if you are not needing to collect in multiple regions or only have one item that you are charging sales tax for.
  • Netsuite
  • Stripe
The layout is nice & easy to follow. The UI is very friendly and visually appealing. The help center is extremely detailed. Our account manager is easy to get a hold of as well as responses when opening a ticket from the Avalara support team. It's a powerful tool with a lot of really great information.
Wing Lee, CPA, MST | TrustRadius Reviewer
It allows us to track sales tax and remit on our behalf. I find it seamless and efficient.
  • Filing timely returns
  • Easy to read downloaded report
  • Great customer support
  • Sometimes long wait times during peak hours
  • Response time for emails sometimes is slower than expected
Well suited for collection and remittance of sales tax. I wish it had a better function of capturing VAT/GST.
  • Netsuite
Not difficult at all.
Easy interface, user-friendly
We were contacted by Avalara in April 2020, and they were to supply VAT numbers for European countries where we held stock with Amazon. It had become apparent that filing was not an easy task. Having no experience, we were assured that their full support would be given to us, and the process would be seamless. Having suffered a stroke, I immediately paid the £5028 they asked for filing back-dated and current VAT, and as an Amazon seller, we needed the VAT numbers in 16 weeks to allow our continued use of the Amazon site. We were happy with the ever growing 150,00 sales which we were taking. No VAT numbers were ever forthcoming! Amazon European sites shut down one after the other, even after begging for help.. The documentation we requested was sent up to 6 times. Our one account manager? what account manager. 19 months and 366 emails later we have been refunded our £5028 Business now in administration, al large part of this due to the £150,000 are not now taking in Europe, personally out of pocket by over £250,000 pounds, life ruined... It takes forever to get a reply from Avalara however I seem to be able to get a reply to negative reviews left within the hour. Avalara is not the right choice for any small business in the UK. It's in shambles, unprofessional, non caring organisation... [In my opinion] their duty of care is nonexistent, I’m sick of hearing "sorry", " we understand" because [in my experience] really they don’t! I have reached out to the directors, board members and senior management, as I would personally like compensating for there catastrophic failures, and the position they have left me in, legally I am sure they will say I have no recourse. Morally ? I will let everyone make their own mind up. You may be interested and should really take a look on other review sites, before handing over anything to these guys.
  • [In my opinion] nothing.
  • Absolutely nothing.
  • [I feel that they] failed at every level.
  • Sending emails we have 366.
  • Apologies after the fact.
  • Senior management ignoring my reach ours.
  • Not so senior management ignoring even more reach outs.
  • Great at replying to negative feedback.
  • Get new directors in Europe ( 1 is a director of 42 companies as of this morning)... one is based in the USA.
  • Do what they say they will do.
  • Take a look at the reviews elsewhere and speed things up.
WELL SUITED - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING COMES TO MIND OTHER THAN THERE GOOD AY SENDING EMAILS AND LOOSING PAPER WORK TIME AFTER TIME,, THEY ARE ALSO GOOD AT REPLYING TO NEGATIVE REVIEWS

NOT WELL SUITED - EVERYTHING IN MY CASE.
  • Couldn't even log on to their portal despite numerous requests and promises.
[In my experience] impossible.
[In my experience] they failed at every level, total incompetence.
Dan James | TrustRadius Reviewer
We're a small startup Firearms, Ammunition, Shooting Supplies and Accessories business developing an eCommerce site to reach the continental US. Avalara will provide my sales tax rates for every sale as well as let me know when I reach Nexus in each state and then take care of filing and remitting for us.
  • Provide clarity in explaining their job
  • Provide simple, understandable training
  • Assign friendly, patient, knowledgeable people like Tonya Winchester to guide you
  • Too new to know any yet.
To new to Avalara to feel competent on this topic yet.
  • Point of Sale
  • Ecommerce
Smooth so far.
Don't really know yet. Once we have everything up and running we'll see.
Shlomi Rabi | TrustRadius Reviewer
As a first-time entrepreneur, the learning curve is steep, and there are so many verticals to cover. Avalara made the tax collection and tracking portion so much easier. I would be remiss not to highlight [...], an Onboarding Specialist, who embodied professionalism and customer service. She took what would have been a very daunting task, and walked me through the entirety of the process, always responded promptly to my inquiries, and was patient and professional. If this is the type of individual Avalara hires, clearly their standards are high, and they ensure that their products have the best possible ambassadors. I couldn't recommend their services enough.
  • Customer Service.
  • Filing Taxes on client's behalf.
  • Sending prompts ahead of schedule.
  • The excels can be a little bit glitchy at times.
Avalara is the best suited service provider for streamlining the entire journey of tax collection, giving the client the peace of mind that all is under control by the best possible product.
  • Accounting.
Not at all.
Wonderful and user-friendly website; a range of very helpful products, and exceptional customer service.
December 02, 2021

Avalara is a breeze

Dennison Stewart | TrustRadius Reviewer
We have utilized the Avalara product integrated with our sales quotation and financial suite and has been a flawless and transparent operation.
  • Tax calculation is instantaneous and accurate everytime
  • Monthly submissions of SSL and individual states is easy to navigate and approve
  • Support is quick and reliable
  • Documentation and self service help could be easier to search and navigate
Avalara is perfectly suited for EComm, IT MSP, and service and support companies.
  • ConnectWise
  • QuickBooks
  • QuoteWerks
Any difficulties we had were easily remedied.
In more than 4 years of use, we have not had any downtimes or issues with the integration, application, or reporting. Renewal process and analysis is comprehensive and cost-effective
We are currently new with Avalara. We went live with a new web platform in April 2019. We are using it to calculate our tax on our web, but we are not entirely sure if it is working correctly for us. We have gone to Avalara University for training, but it isn't helpful to our situation. Currently, we don't see committed transactions, so we don't actually know if or even how to use it correctly.
  • Has tax exceptions, such as tax-exempt holidays, already figured in.
  • Training has been a difficult area for us.
  • Being able to receive timely contact with our rep has been a challenge. Particularly since the Wayfair decision.
I think this is a fantastic product. However, I feel we went live and were not prepared on how to utilize it to our full benefit. Training and connection with a live person could be better. I would like to take advantage of more products from Avalara, but until some of this is resolved, my CFO will not allow us to do so.
  • Microsoft D365
I think it would be great if we knew how to use it.

Training has still been an issue.
  • no training
Based on prior question, support is not great unless it is from our dedicated rep.
We only use two services with Avalara and so far, those seem to be pretty good.
Tax compliance is our main reason for using Avalara. It is impossible to manage all the different tax Juris without this type of software.
  • Keeping tax rates updated.
  • Providing multiple report options for creating returns.
  • Sales. There is a definite disconnect between sales and what happens been you are signed up.
  • Training. Having good tools for learning how to navigate your account.
  • Communication. Our current account Rep, which is our third, is great, but prior ones were not. Most previous never made contact and never responded to the email. The first one was not truthful.
For small companies, Avalara is a good choice, as it is one that offers a benefit that includes free transactions and returns filing for SST states. This helps keep the cost at a lower tier. It can still be costly for small companies, so things like storing the PDFs for exemptions [have] not been appropriate for us.
  • Ecommerce
Not difficult.
For the most part, it's not difficult to use.