Reviews (1-25 of 113)
- Avalara is in the business of sales tax and therefore stays ahead of the changes as they occur.
- Avalara software integrates directly with QuickBooks Online so sales tax is correctly calculated on every invoice created.
- Avalara takes care of the state filings so that I don't have to worry about them.
- Although Avalara integrates directly with QuickBooks Online, it bypasses the QB sales tax system and creates the sales tax as a line item on the invoice instead of a calculation after the subtotal. This was confusing to some of our customers.
- For the WA combined excise tax return, I have to email my WA B&O tax calculations to be included in the return by the 10th of the month even though the report is not due until the end of the month. There is currently no place on the Avatax console to add these figures.
- Really good interface for users to look at.
- The reporting aspect is one of the best I have ever seen from a financial software.
- Security access and changes is simple and straightforward.
- User workflow for processes is not straightforward.
- integration with other systems could be improved.
- leaving notes within the tool for other uses to pick up would be a nice add on other systems have.
- Calculating sales tax in 20+ states
- Preparing returns in 20+ states with different filing periods
- Keeping us up to date with new tax laws and states we need to register in
- I have only had one issue with a customer service rep that was out of the country, so I would say providing help from the country you reside in
- Updated rates - compared to our old (manual) process, we're saving tons of time when we don't have to look up or update rates for new customers or new sites.
- Direct customer support - our account manager is very accessible and if she doesn't answer a call, Kristin gets back to me same day. She turned a quote for a new project very quickly as well. Very pleased with her.
- I've only sat through 3 trainings, or webinar sessions, but they were well done.
- Very annoyed by the $500 annual sur-charge that we were threatened with for not having our account set up for auto-pay. Literally the only vendor we do business with that has tried anything like this. My Visa is currently on saved on file so we weren't upcharged, but paid this years renewal a few days early via ACH transfer.
- We requested a custom rule to handle MO sales / use tax, that is unusual. It took months to get it finished, and we haven't gone live with it yet. This is partly on me though, and the fact that I'm not even 100% sure that my supervisor had gotten proper advice from MO dept of revenue on the issue.
- The software is expensive. Must be nice to have that big of a market share. We spend the extra money though because we do feel (and have been advised) that Avalara is the best, and this is important enough to go with the best.
- Seamless SAP interface
- Great UI for master data maintenance
- Excellent implementation support
- Provides access to the right resources if problems occur
- Tax returns are not very flexible
- Special rules for Canadian taxes posed a problem
- More local technical presence preferred
- Calculation of sales tax.
- Reports by state and period to remit sales tax.
- East of setup for various types of sales types and codes.
- I think it would be great it Avalara offered advisory services, i.e., where should we be collecting sales tax, and what types of services are taxable/ non-taxable in each state.
- Customer Service. Avalara is very quick to respond to any questions related to its product.
- New Customer Orientation: I had a very pleasant experience implementing Avalara into our CRM system!
- Accuracy: We currently do not utilize the sales tax reporting function, however, when we file our State and Local tax returns, the Avalara calculations are 100% correct.
- As a fairly new customer, I have not experienced any areas of improvement, yet :-)
- Calculates the Tax
- File Tax Returns
- Stores Re-seller certs
- For Re-seller, we have to load cert for each state, which is time consuming and also number of certs goes beyond limit and Avalara charges extra
- When there are shipments on a order for multiple states at the line level, transactions don't get registered in Avalara or get registered with TRX, which doesn't get matched back in ERP system
- I believe Avalara is a very solid platform for tax calculation, it works well.
- As well as storing customer certs in a platform (no manual work).
- Allows flexibility to setup different scenarios depending on the data we receive from our fuel inventory system.
- I love that Avalara listens to their customers and enhances the software to make our return filing more seamless.
- Their conferences allow their customer to get together and meet other software users and share their tips with each other
- if you are adding additional information to a location, it would be nice to append the additional information, for instance, if the state now requires a county code, but the address information hasn't changed.
- Reconciliation reports that can be added to the return to show a summarized version of the data on the return.
- An additional function to add a check request of cash voucher with payment information and GL account information for approval and posting.
- If we give Avalara a pinpoint latitude and longitude coordinate, I am confident in the resulting jurisdiction and tax rates.
- Avalara provides great training opportunities.
- The records maintained by Avalara are easily accessible.
- While Avalara has a robust set of sales tax codes/catagories, they have not yet focused on codes related to our industry.
- Avalara does not have their own team responsible for connecting their product to our ERP or accounting system.
- The automatic calculation of taxes based on location is great. It reduces any anxiety that we are miscalculating taxes.
- One area where we had an issue was when we had a customer which had locations in different states. We needed to calculate taxes for one of their locations, but it automatically calculated off of the main location's tax rates. This was really an issue on our end, but some additional support for understanding how to make sure everything in our accounting system was set up to calculate correctly with AvaTax would have been helpful.
- Native integration with NetSuite, means we do not have to management the integration of data between the systems i.e. low maintenance.
- Automation - We do not need to worry about sales tax calculations for the different cities/states across the US, Avalara does the calculations automatically for us.
- Great support team. Responsive and have always solved any issues we have had.
- Only setup for US taxes right now. We would leverage the system even further if it was set up with international sales tax automation (VAT/GST)
- UI within Avatax could be improved slightly. Sometimes a little difficult to reconcile sales tax accruals and payments between NetSuite and Avalara.
- Nothing else that I can think of.
- Setup/making changes in the system is clear and easy. Other programs can be confusing, especially when it comes to dealing with multiple states, but Avalara's UX is easy to follow. They also have video tutorials for most things you'd need to do (which are decent in terms of their helpfulness), and, of course, have support that can be contacted if needed.
- Not sure this is something that could be done differently from a practical perspective, but, I find the actual transaction interface for sales to be a bit busy. It's easier once you get used to it but can be intimidating at first.
- Integration with top Accounting Software Systems made the choice to go with Avalara super simple.
- Customer Service and Support are excellent, specifically throughout the setup and integration process.
- I love that I can set my Accounting Staff up with logins and they can perform their own tax calculations, however, the UI on the website doesn't offer much direction. We need a better roadmap when we're just figuring things out.
- They were able to work with us when we needed to use their cloud system in a different way. Meaning we maintain the tax category taxability in our system and when we send our invoice information they only need look at our address and not the item number. We do not maintain our inventory item listing in their online cloud software. That was a benefit as we can't function using that capacity with our business model.
- We struggle with them on how quickly they get back to us when we have problems. Granted, we didn't buy the best support contract with them which is partly the reason, but, that being said, I would expect faster communication with them when we are having sales tax problems as well as quicker follow-up. I say that because it's never just one customer that is affected but several so the problem needs to be fixed immediately. We greatly appreciate when we get update emails saying, "Here's what we are working on, here's who is working on it and this is where we are in the process of figuring out the issue. I'll send an update tomorrow if you don't hear from us with a solution."
- I don't appreciate when their help desk attempts to shift the blame on our IT department when there is an issue. I would appreciate a better approach where we figure out the problem and leave the blame to the side. The point is fixing the problem not assessing blame for who caused it.
- I also don't appreciate when we let them know there is a problem with their sales tax rates and they don't believe us until we send them a screenshot of what the state's site actually says.
Avalara Scorecard Summary
Avalara aims to help businesses get tax compliance right. Avalara customers face demanding tax obligations imposed by state, local, and other tax authorities around the world, and use Avalara for efficient and more accurate solutions to manage those requirements.
The Avalara Tax Compliance Suite — Avalara AvaTax, Avalara Returns, and Avalara CertCapture — offers solutions for various transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and others. The suite enables you to calculate taxes, file and remit returns, and comply with document management requirements. Hundreds of certified integrations are also available for accounting systems, ERP and CRM providers, and ecommerce platforms. The company also offers Professional Services including Tax Advisory Services, Implementation Services, Managed Services, and Support Plans and Training to help customers prepare for and achieve compliance.
Avalara Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Avalara Technical Details
|Mobile Application:||Mobile Web|