Reviews (1-25 of 227)
- Assesses up-to-date sales tax at the local jurisdiction.
- Manages sales tax exemptions through the CertCapture Module
- Provides ongoing information of changing regulations in individual states.
- Allows for easy reconciliation of transactions.
- Provides easy registration for SST states.
- Reconciling errors in transactions of SST states is often difficult.
- Sometimes support can be a bit slow or not provide as good of information as might be needed.
- Scaling up services and what the cost is to do so at renewal can be confusing/fuzzy.
If you need a tool that can integrate well with your ERP system, this may likely be right for you.
If you meet economic thresholds but have a very limited number of transactions and sell into a limited number of taxing jurisdictions, and you have the staff to handle the process, it might not be appropriate.
- We have integrated Avalara and CertCapture with our ERP.
- We have integrated Avalara with our online e-commerce store.
- We are currently integrating CertCapture with our online shopping cart.
- We have had great success with the Avalara plug ins to our websites.
- The tax filing service is easy and convienent
- We have recently moved to their SST services which will help save cost.
- The lack of integration with Amazon causes the greatest frustration for us. We end up having to import sales into Avalara on a monthly basis to make sure our tax reporting is complete.
- Avalara is one of the more expensive solutions, but at this same time, they are the only provider that has had the range of plugins for the applications we use.
Avalara, worst choice ever for sales tax. They didn't build their own software, fired the team that did and now they don't know how it works. You won't be able to get any tech support. 4 months of lies and they never got my API working.
- It seems like it will work.
- They promise you they can make it work.
- It eventually will partly work, maybe...
- They didn't build their own software.
- They don't know how the technology works or how it will integrate into Magento 2.
- They are rude and resist getting you to their tech department, because they haven't established who is supporting their own product.
- They just added a department to manage their software, but unfortunately they expect you to wait as a customer until they learn it.
- I spent 5 months with them and they never got any part of their integration to work smoothly.
- They billed me for every month and even after we spent thousands of dollars switching to a different tech, they continue to bill us, even after they agreed to refund us our money.
- Magento 2
- Avatax stays current with all the changes in rates and does an excellent job of calculating the correct sales tax to charge.
- The reporting interface for sales tax reports is easy to use and once you set up a report you can save it as a favorite and rerun it any time with one click. Their UI on the reporting is simple and provides a minimum number of clicks to get the data you want and export it to Excel where every number lives whether it belongs there or not!
- When I file returns myself, I immediately know what the discrepancies are (e.g., discounts for filing, etc.) and can book those adjustments immediately as I record the payments themselves. Avalara necessarily has a gap between when you submit the return to them and when they file it and calculate those differences. It's not a big deal but I don't like having a one month lag in reconciling those differences. I like being able to manage them in real-time. That may just be the price you pay to have them do the filing for you but it is a bit of a deterrent for me at this point.
- For a while there is seemed like musical chairs for the sales reps assigned to us. The current rep has been with us for a while and that really helps.
- Microsoft Great Plains Dynamics
- CV3 - ecommerce
- ERP - Synrao
- Ease of navigation through the software.
- Convenient to pull sales tax reports for any of the states you file in for a particular period.
- Maintaining the exemption certificates for customers has become much easier, along with the ability to upload a copy of their exemption certificate for storage.
- A lot of our business is in the oil field which may be located away from any main city. It would be helpful if LAT Longs could be used as opposed to a zip code.
- Acumatica (Accounting Software)
- Avatax automatically calculates accurate sales tax rates at the exact address.
- Sales tax rates are automatically updated when a jurisdiction's rate changes.
- The reporting available can be customized to get exactly what you need.
- A more comprehensive review during implementation would be an improvement.
- Sage 300 ERP software
- Providing accurate tax rates across differing jurisdictions.
- Providing accurate tax answers.
- Providing tailored answers for the construction industry (tax compliance for the construction industry is immensely complex).
- Vista by Viewpoint
- Tax calculation
- Tax filing
- Historical data retention
- Tax consult and tax support
- Conversion to CAD
- Selecting all states as one option vs. having to list state after state individually for setups, such as for our marketplace
- Filing refund requests vs. carrying credits
- Epicor 9
- Streamlines sales tax process with electronic filing and includes paper filing
- Makes payments of sales tax simple
- Stores or tracks unused sales tax credit
- Provide more specific support for companies that require API to connect their ERP system to Avalara
- Provide more advance notification and training for changing AvaTax platform
- ePIC ERP system
- Calculate real-time sales tax for invoices.
- CertCapture for managing my TEC's.
- Transaction sales tax detail.
- Local jurisdiction exemption certificates.
- Avalara online university classes are not interactive and do not provide for practice applications.
- Microsoft Dynamics SL 2018
- Missing certificates.
- Improper certificate forms were used by the division.
- Incomplete certificates were accepted.
- Misplaced certificates.
- Out of date certificates.
- We were able to track the number of missing customer certificates.
- We were able to identify the acceptable certificate forms.
- This product educated our division's credit manager enough to only accept the proper forms.
- The automated and customized report is needed.
- AS400 in-house program
- Determines tax rates for customers depending on that customer's exact ship-to location.
- Files returns correctly and on time.
- Tracks and uses customer supplied exemption certificates to determine a customer's taxability.
- Avalara assumes that companies have IT support. Dumbing down some of their training would be helpful.
- Big Commerce
- Syteline ERP
- Accounting software
- Calculating sales tax for invoices; always using the most current rates.
- Creating helpful knowledge base articles and videos.
- Assisting with any questions we have on our account or future issues.
- Exempting customers - some data entry fields are not intuitive.
- Differences in the monthly reports are not as well-explained as I would like; I had to experiment a bit with different reports.
- Sage Intacct
- Takes away the hassle of filing sales tax returns
- Provides useful reports
- Easy to access E-commerce transactions
- The account manager can be more helpful. Our new account manager still hasn't replied to our email requesting a link to her calendar to schedule a meeting after two follow up emails. She was not at the Crush conference either. We didn't get a chance to talk to her after she became our account manager.
- The billing department can do better. We just got an invoice in May for overages in January.
- Avalara syncs well with our ERP system.
- Reporting is easy to pull and send to our accountants.
- Avatax saves a lot of time so we don't have to maintain tax rates internally.
- The definition of a transaction keeps changing and affects how much our contract covers. It makes it hard to predict the level of service we will need in a year since we don't want to over pay and we don't want to have any overages.
- Our customer rep changes frequently. We've averaged a new rep every year so it's hard to get anything resolved.
- When we have questions on the way rates are calculated, we don't get the answers we need.
- Reporting for tracking usage was removed so there is no way for us to track our own usage. Our rep is supposed to send us a monthly report and with changing reps, we haven't been sent this report for months.
- ERP Software - Avalara
Avalara is less appropriate if you don't know where you have nexus, or always have a tax professional review before registering in new states.
- Storing arena for Resale Tax Exemption Certificates.
- The need to hit Refresh several times throughout the process to upload a new cert can be tiresome, and on occasion we have to wait a long time for it to show up during one of those refreshes.
- Campaigns can be clunky; not always notified which dealer accounts didn't get their email delivered, and sometimes dealers find the format to appear to be SPAM and so they do not complete it.
- None that I am aware of
Avalara Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
Avalara aims to help businesses get tax compliance right. Avalara customers can manage tax obligations from state, local, and other tax authorities around the world through the platform. Avalara states that the value proposition for users is that its tool provide efficient and more accurate solutions for managing those requirements.
The Avalara Tax Compliance Suite — Avalara AvaTax, Avalara Returns, and Avalara CertCapture — offers solutions for various transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and others. Through the suite, users can calculate taxes, file and remit returns, and comply with document management requirements. More than 700 integrations are available for accounting systems, ERP and CRM providers, ecommerce platforms, and more. The company also offers Professional Services including Tax Advisory Services, Implementation Services, Managed Services, and Support Plans and Training to help customers prepare for and achieve compliance.
- Has featureFree Trial Available?Yes
- Does not have featureFree or Freemium Version Available?No
- Has featurePremium Consulting/Integration Services Available?Yes
- Entry-level set up fee?No
Avalara Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Avalara Technical Details
|Mobile Application:||Mobile Web|