Avalara AvaTax connects to the software that businesses already have and delivers sales tax decisions based on precise geo-location in more than 12,000 taxing jurisdictions in the U.S.AvaTax fanWe sell electronically downloaded software to several states. The burden of keeping up with the ever-changing state tax laws became overwhelming and so I reached out to Avalara for a solution. The setup was relatively simple and I was up and running after the first training session. Avalara integrates directly with my QuickBooks Online so I now know that the sales tax on each of my invoices is correct. I also do not have to worry about the multiple state reporting deadlines because Avalara files them on my behalf.,Avalara is in the business of sales tax and therefore stays ahead of the changes as they occur. Avalara software integrates directly with QuickBooks Online so sales tax is correctly calculated on every invoice created. Avalara takes care of the state filings so that I don't have to worry about them.,Although Avalara integrates directly with QuickBooks Online, it bypasses the QB sales tax system and creates the sales tax as a line item on the invoice instead of a calculation after the subtotal. This was confusing to some of our customers. For the WA combined excise tax return, I have to email my WA B&O tax calculations to be included in the return by the 10th of the month even though the report is not due until the end of the month. There is currently no place on the Avatax console to add these figures.,10,Researching sales tax rates and calculating and filing multiple state tax returns was extremely time consuming before adding AvaTax. With AvaTax in place I am able to focus on other issues and have the peace of mind that the sales tax is calculated correctly and filed on time.,10,QuickBooks Online,10,Yes we have used the managed returns filing with great success. Since we only have a few exemption certificates, we have not utilized the exemption certificate management system yet.,Avalara makes life easierWe use Avalara for sales tax calculation on customer invoices and also to capture sales and file the sales tax returns.,Calculating sales tax in 20+ states Preparing returns in 20+ states with different filing periods Keeping us up to date with new tax laws and states we need to register in,I have only had one issue with a customer service rep that was out of the country, so I would say providing help from the country you reside in,10,Avalara has made the invoicing process much quicker since the tax is calculated automatically and our customer service reps don't have to look up the tax rates. Avalara has freed up some time for me since I just have to verify the sales and total tax on the returns. Now I have more time to concentrate on other projects in the department.,9,9,We have benefited from the returns filing service that Avalara supplies.Generally pleasedWe use the Avatax software to make sales and use tax calculation for our traditional sales model, and our e-commerce platform. It is only being used by the accounting/customer service department, 1 programmer who is deeply involved in our NetSuite ERP software has also been involved in the Avalara launch.,Updated rates - compared to our old (manual) process, we're saving tons of time when we don't have to look up or update rates for new customers or new sites. Direct customer support - our account manager is very accessible and if she doesn't answer a call, Kristin gets back to me same day. She turned a quote for a new project very quickly as well. Very pleased with her. I've only sat through 3 trainings, or webinar sessions, but they were well done.,Very annoyed by the $500 annual sur-charge that we were threatened with for not having our account set up for auto-pay. Literally the only vendor we do business with that has tried anything like this. My Visa is currently on saved on file so we weren't upcharged, but paid this years renewal a few days early via ACH transfer. We requested a custom rule to handle MO sales / use tax, that is unusual. It took months to get it finished, and we haven't gone live with it yet. This is partly on me though, and the fact that I'm not even 100% sure that my supervisor had gotten proper advice from MO dept of revenue on the issue. The software is expensive. Must be nice to have that big of a market share. We spend the extra money though because we do feel (and have been advised) that Avalara is the best, and this is important enough to go with the best.,8,too early to tell from a staffing point, and we haven't been audited since we launched. I do feel confident that we'd pass, and part of that goes to Avalara. We spend less time processing orders for sure. While the annual software renewal is very expensive, i do think it's being offset by payroll savings.,10,Magento & NetSuite.,9,Not using either. But we've spec'd a side project that would require us to launch a much larger e-commerce site, and we'd at least start using the managed return filings, our account manager Kristin did a good job explaining the capabilities and quoting us a number we could use to market this project.,Avalara works well for usWe are using Avalara as a real-time cloud solution for SAP for the entire corporation. The core functionality is a substitution for our old solution which caused technical and support problems. In addition, we are using the tax filing tools and implementing CertCapture.,Seamless SAP interface Great UI for master data maintenance Excellent implementation support Provides access to the right resources if problems occur,Tax returns are not very flexible Special rules for Canadian taxes posed a problem More local technical presence preferred,10,More stable real-time platform resulting in significantly less interruptions and internal support Tax filing reduced reconciliation efforts CertCapture implementation is in progress but will yield significant cost savings for certificate management and will improve customer experience,10,SAP E-commerce system (Smartequip) in progress,9,We are currently implementing certificate management which will solve numerous manual process and customer interaction problems. The overall solution will benefit our organization multifold, internally and customer facing.,Salva-Avala ReviewIt is being used by the finance department to calculate and remit sales tax across states that we do business in.,Calculation of sales tax. Reports by state and period to remit sales tax. East of setup for various types of sales types and codes.,I think it would be great it Avalara offered advisory services, i.e., where should we be collecting sales tax, and what types of services are taxable/ non-taxable in each state.,7,Avalara saves a lot of time that someone would otherwise have to spend calculating payments by state and maintaining rates.,5,Sage Accounting SAP,8,Currently we only use Avalara for tax calculation, but have considered the service for managing returns. It will come down to cost considerations.
Avalara

Avalara Reviews

Avalara
Top Rated Award
Filter 187 vetted Avalara reviews and ratings
Jodi Pickering profile photo
October 16, 2018

Avalara Review: "AvaTax fan"

• Avalara is in the business of sales tax and therefore stays ahead of the changes as they occur.
  • Avalara software integrates directly with QuickBooks Online so sales tax is correctly calculated on every invoice created.
  • Avalara takes care of the state filings so that I don't have to worry about them.
  • Although Avalara integrates directly with QuickBooks Online, it bypasses the QB sales tax system and creates the sales tax as a line item on the invoice instead of a calculation after the subtotal. This was confusing to some of our customers.
  • For the WA combined excise tax return, I have to email my WA B&O tax calculations to be included in the return by the 10th of the month even though the report is not due until the end of the month. There is currently no place on the Avatax console to add these figures.
Avalara is well suited for any company that is selling to multiple states.
Read Jodi Pickering's full review
Jodi Burkett profile photo
November 05, 2018

User Review: "Avalara makes life easier"

• Calculating sales tax in 20+ states
  • Preparing returns in 20+ states with different filing periods
  • Keeping us up to date with new tax laws and states we need to register in
  • I have only had one issue with a customer service rep that was out of the country, so I would say providing help from the country you reside in
Avalara is well suited for companies that are in multiple states and want to automate their processes, they are also well suited for a company with high volume sales.
Read Jodi Burkett's full review
RYAN VANLANDINGHAM profile photo
October 30, 2018

Avalara Review: "Generally pleased"

• Updated rates - compared to our old (manual) process, we're saving tons of time when we don't have to look up or update rates for new customers or new sites.
  • Direct customer support - our account manager is very accessible and if she doesn't answer a call, Kristin gets back to me same day. She turned a quote for a new project very quickly as well. Very pleased with her.
  • I've only sat through 3 trainings, or webinar sessions, but they were well done.
  • Very annoyed by the $500 annual sur-charge that we were threatened with for not having our account set up for auto-pay. Literally the only vendor we do business with that has tried anything like this. My Visa is currently on saved on file so we weren't upcharged, but paid this years renewal a few days early via ACH transfer.
  • We requested a custom rule to handle MO sales / use tax, that is unusual. It took months to get it finished, and we haven't gone live with it yet. This is partly on me though, and the fact that I'm not even 100% sure that my supervisor had gotten proper advice from MO dept of revenue on the issue.
  • The software is expensive. Must be nice to have that big of a market share. We spend the extra money though because we do feel (and have been advised) that Avalara is the best, and this is important enough to go with the best.
Not sure how we could do e-commerce without Avatax, it's 100% required. Using their real time calculations for our standard business has made our order processing more efficient. We don't use the cert-management software because I believe it is super overpriced and we can take care of our legal requirements using our ERP software, custom fields, custom reports and rules, and storing documents in our own cloud.
Read RYAN VANLANDINGHAM's full review
Michael Hanken profile photo
October 26, 2018

User Review: "Avalara works well for us"

• Seamless SAP interface
  • Great UI for master data maintenance
  • Excellent implementation support
  • Provides access to the right resources if problems occur
  • Tax returns are not very flexible
  • Special rules for Canadian taxes posed a problem
  • More local technical presence preferred
The technical platform is mature and performs well. SAP integration works flawlessly. The CertCapture part needs some additional design to accommodate for more flexible corporation rules on how certificates/audits are handled.
Read Michael Hanken's full review
Sal Falcone profile photo

Avalara: "Salva-Avala Review"

• Calculation of sales tax.
  • Reports by state and period to remit sales tax.
  • East of setup for various types of sales types and codes.
  • I think it would be great it Avalara offered advisory services, i.e., where should we be collecting sales tax, and what types of services are taxable/ non-taxable in each state.
I think it's really useful in cases where you are remitting sales tax for many states and localities since Avalara is responsible for staying up to date with rates, etc.
Read Sal Falcone's full review
Mary Beth Arnold profile photo
October 26, 2018

"Staff Accountant's Review of Avalara"

Avalara is being used by our company to assist in the calculation of sales tax for 38 states and all the filings as well. It helps navigate the tricky world of sales tax for each state including the counties, cities or other special taxes which are required to be collected and recorded. In addition, we use CertCapture as a centralized location for all of our customer certifications. CertCapture easily allows us to prepare for certificates that are set to expire- or certificates that are invalid. It is a great tool that helps our business continue to grow and know that we are in compliance.
  • Calculates Sales Tax
  • Filing Needed Returns
  • Seamless integration with our ERP system
  • Sometimes slow or non-responsive website.
This product is for everyone who has to deal with collecting sales and using taxes. The filing of the sales and use tax returns. Big or small this solution is a game changer.
Read Mary Beth Arnold's full review
Remona Callair-Simmons profile photo
October 26, 2018

User Review: "Avalara? What a great product!"

Our company uses a CRM (Customer Relationship Management) system for our security sales. Avalara is used to ensure that sales tax is calculated properly at the time of sale. It is used by the entire sales and accounting departments.
  • Customer Service. Avalara is very quick to respond to any questions related to its product.
  • New Customer Orientation: I had a very pleasant experience implementing Avalara into our CRM system!
  • Accuracy: We currently do not utilize the sales tax reporting function, however, when we file our State and Local tax returns, the Avalara calculations are 100% correct.
  • As a fairly new customer, I have not experienced any areas of improvement, yet :-)
As a fairly new customer, with new customer concerns going into implementation, we were very satisfied with a product that came highly recommended to us.
Read Remona Callair-Simmons's full review
Sarbjit Sidhu profile photo

Avalara Review: "Paytax"

We use Avalara for tax calculation purposes, when we book an order, the query goes to Avalara to calculate the tax based on the state, county, and city, it also checks whether we have re-seller cert in the file.
  • Calculates the Tax
  • File Tax Returns
  • Stores Re-seller certs
  • For Re-seller, we have to load cert for each state, which is time consuming and also number of certs goes beyond limit and Avalara charges extra
  • When there are shipments on a order for multiple states at the line level, transactions don't get registered in Avalara or get registered with TRX, which doesn't get matched back in ERP system
  • I believe Avalara is a very solid platform for tax calculation, it works well.
  • As well as storing customer certs in a platform (no manual work).
Read Sarbjit Sidhu's full review
Andrea Campbell profile photo
October 26, 2018

User Review: "Avalara Tax Return"

The Fuel Tax group is currently using Avalara Tax Return Software for Fuel Excise and Sales Tax. Avalara cuts our return processing time by 30%. This gives us more time to work on Tax Saving initiatives.
  • Allows flexibility to setup different scenarios depending on the data we receive from our fuel inventory system.
  • I love that Avalara listens to their customers and enhances the software to make our return filing more seamless.
  • Their conferences allow their customer to get together and meet other software users and share their tips with each other
  • if you are adding additional information to a location, it would be nice to append the additional information, for instance, if the state now requires a county code, but the address information hasn't changed.
  • Reconciliation reports that can be added to the return to show a summarized version of the data on the return.
  • An additional function to add a check request of cash voucher with payment information and GL account information for approval and posting.
I really enjoy the product and the Avalara team is always extremely helpful with all questions and concerns
Read Andrea Campbell's full review
Richard M. Forrest II, CPA profile photo
October 16, 2018

"O&G Service Company - Avalara Review"

Refinery Specialties uses Avalara to accurately calculate and track sales tax applications applied to our invoicing. Jurisdictions are based on rooftop coordinates that we are able to feed to Avalara for the calculation. We are an oilfield service company and often times it is not easy to identify where a well falls into a jurisdiction.
  • If we give Avalara a pinpoint latitude and longitude coordinate, I am confident in the resulting jurisdiction and tax rates.
  • Avalara provides great training opportunities.
  • The records maintained by Avalara are easily accessible.
  • While Avalara has a robust set of sales tax codes/catagories, they have not yet focused on codes related to our industry.
  • Avalara does not have their own team responsible for connecting their product to our ERP or accounting system.
Avalara was our only option as we needed to make sure we correctly identified tax jusrisdictions and we could only rely on lat/long coordinates to do so. The tax codes we are currently using are either very generic or we've made them up ourselves.
Read Richard M. Forrest II, CPA's full review
Becky Wade profile photo
June 14, 2018

Avalara Review: "In LOVE with AVATAX!"

Avalara is an important addition to our company's processes. We were able to take billing to a completely different level. We have our Shop Supervisors billing now and our Parts Managers. At a Business standpoint, if your business is collecting in multiple states, I would highly recommend using the Avatax portion of Avalara. The ease of knowing that a Tax Professional is an email away is a nice feeling.
  • It provides answers to commonly asked Sales Tax questions. Avalara's website is very user-friendly and you can get most of all your answers to any of your questions right then and there.
  • Monthly Sales Tax filings- The reports to reconcile with are very detailed and make sales tax life so much easier.
  • Integrates well with other accounting systems. It will make your day to day billing process so much faster. The system validates addresses by location to get you the correct tax amount every time as you are billing.
  • I'm guessing the only con would be that sometimes we do get issues where we get like a timeout, and the system takes too long to ping back into our system and the document doesn't get uploaded onto the admin console and we have to manually enter into that month the invoice was done. But the admin console is very user-friendly so it doesn't take much to upload it. I'm not too sure you can do anything about speeding up the internet!
  • I'm thinking what would be nice if you had an automation of mailing out the invoices as well.
I have not found any less appropriate scenarios. Avalara is well suited for our company and has made day to day work a lot less tax pressured.
Read Becky Wade's full review
Summer Redmon, CPA profile photo
October 05, 2018

Avalara Review: "Great product for tax calculation"

It is being used by the finance department to calculate sales tax for our customer invoicing. As we expand into other states, it's been difficult to track which areas charge sales tax and how much. This tool allows us to have that calculated for us without worrying whether it's accurate.
  • The automatic calculation of taxes based on location is great. It reduces any anxiety that we are miscalculating taxes.
  • One area where we had an issue was when we had a customer which had locations in different states. We needed to calculate taxes for one of their locations, but it automatically calculated off of the main location's tax rates. This was really an issue on our end, but some additional support for understanding how to make sure everything in our accounting system was set up to calculate correctly with AvaTax would have been helpful.
Avalara is great for calculating tax on invoices. We haven't used them for filing yet, but I'm going to guess that is probably great too. However, we used self-implementation for the tax calculation portion and I think we would definitely want to use a guided implementation if we were to bring on tax filing as well.
Read Summer Redmon, CPA's full review
Sonny Spencer, ACA profile photo
September 25, 2018

Review: "Avalara delivers huge ROI to our business"

We are using Avalara to automate sales tax calculations on our sales invoices to customers in the US. Avalara in turn file our monthly/quarterly state tax returns for us and remit payment on our behalf.
  • Native integration with NetSuite, means we do not have to management the integration of data between the systems i.e. low maintenance.
  • Automation - We do not need to worry about sales tax calculations for the different cities/states across the US, Avalara does the calculations automatically for us.
  • Great support team. Responsive and have always solved any issues we have had.
  • Only setup for US taxes right now. We would leverage the system even further if it was set up with international sales tax automation (VAT/GST)
  • UI within Avatax could be improved slightly. Sometimes a little difficult to reconcile sales tax accruals and payments between NetSuite and Avalara.
  • Nothing else that I can think of.
Suitable for any company operating in the US that is currently manually calculating/filing sales taxes for customers based in the US.
Read Sonny Spencer, ACA's full review
Kimberly Souders profile photo
May 22, 2018

User Review: "Avalara Returns to the rescue~!"

We use Avalara Returns to obtain sales tax rates, provide our Customer Service Department with sales tax quotes and manage 36 states transactional data to build and file sales & use tax returns.
  • Provides accurate rooftop sales tax rates.
  • Collects transactional data for building returns.
  • Timely submit returns to individual states.
  • Needs to ensure there are not unnecessary prepayments submitted.
  • Tech Support needs to verify support tickets have been properly resolved prior to closing a ticket.
Avalara Returns is well suited in the area of rooftop sales tax rates; especially in states where there are a plethora of jurisdictions all with varying sales tax rates.
Read Kimberly Souders's full review
Laura Lamprecht profile photo
November 09, 2018

User Review: "Avalara Makes Things Easy"

We are using Avalara for our sales tax calculations at our online store, our sales tax return filings, and for our sales tax certificate collection and management. Our accounting department and customer service group both use the software. It makes selling online possible and makes compliance feel so much easier.
  • The technical support is fantastic.
  • Software is easy to use.
  • They solve a problem that would otherwise keep me up at night.
  • Some of the import spreadsheets and coding are very particular.
Avalara is great for any business that needs help with the sales tax process, especially online sellers.
Read Laura Lamprecht's full review
Wayne Spivak profile photo
July 06, 2018

User Review: "Avalara and AvaTax, the go-to product"

We use WooCommerce as our e-commerce retail solution. AvaTax (Avalara) connects right to Woo and calculates tax perfectly for the states where we are required to collect Sales Tax. Monthly AvaTax files our sales tax return and arranges payment from our bank. My interaction (besides setup) is confirmation of data at month's end and reconciliation with our G/L account. Pretty mindless once setup is done.
  • Calculate Sales Tax
  • Record tax in a secure system (books of record)
  • File timely sales tax reports
  • While it works perfectly with WooCommerce sales, it doesn't handel returns, requiring me to manually correct my book of record (AvaTax).
  • Setup can be very painful (but with the new improvements to the UI it has become much easier).
  • It can get a little expensive.
As long as an API exists, it is well suited. The setup of the plugin was relatively simple, straightforward and adding additional reporting entities (states) at least in WooCommerce) is as simple as adding that State to a drop-down box. One can also import transactions (like from Amazon), which I will need to learn and perform within the next 60 days.
Read Wayne Spivak's full review
Matt Farmer, CPA, CGMA profile photo
October 29, 2018

Avalara: "Short and Sweet Review of a Great System"

It is being utilized by our accounting team. It solves the problem of sales tax automation. We have sales to ~10 states that require us to collect/remit sales tax. Avalara is linked directly to our accounting system, Intacct, in which sales tax is calculated, based on current rates, between the 2 systems automatically when an order is entered. Avalara then keeps this information on file, remits the appropriate sales tax returns as needed, and the funds are withdrawn from our bank account.
  • Setup/making changes in the system is clear and easy. Other programs can be confusing, especially when it comes to dealing with multiple states, but Avalara's UX is easy to follow. They also have video tutorials for most things you'd need to do (which are decent in terms of their helpfulness), and, of course, have support that can be contacted if needed.
  • Not sure this is something that could be done differently from a practical perspective, but, I find the actual transaction interface for sales to be a bit busy. It's easier once you get used to it but can be intimidating at first.
It is perfectly suited for sales tax automation. Almost no work/oversight is required.
Read Matt Farmer, CPA, CGMA's full review
J. Randall Parker profile photo
October 26, 2018

Review: "Avalara is an excellent choice for B2C e-commerce"

We use Avalara to calculate sales tax on our e-comm website. We have customers from all over the country.
  • Correct calculations of sales tax
  • Informative webinars
  • I received too many emails leading up to my renewal
Very well suited to e-commerce.
Read J. Randall Parker's full review
Krystle Pelayo profile photo
October 16, 2018

Avalara Review: "Wonderful Product"

Avalara is used to prepare our sales tax returns. Multiple departments utilized it such as payment processing for creating refund transactions or our development team to implement new changes between platforms.
  • Tax rates are always up to date
  • Efficient
  • Customer Service is absolutely terrible.
  • Terms and conditions
  • Unclear of what they truly offer
Suited to prepare your returns for you and unsupportive when in need of tax advice.
Read Krystle Pelayo's full review
Martin Roberson profile photo
October 16, 2018

Avalara Review: "Avatax is an extremely helpful product"

We are a small company that operates in all 50 states. Avalara allows up to focus on our business and not on sales tax!
  • Calculating sales tax for all locations
  • Reporting sales tax collections
  • Keeping track of changes
  • Cannot think of any
Use Avalara to be your sales tax department instead of hiring a full-time person to calculate, track and report sales tax.
Read Martin Roberson's full review
Sue Kissel, CPA profile photo
October 05, 2018

Avalara Review: "Simple and Efficient sales tax software"

We use Avalara for all customer invoicing and tax returns. The system interfaces with our accounting system and the integration works well. We collect and remit in approximately 30 states and that will grow now that Wayfair has been passed.
  • Interfaces with our accounting system
  • Timely and accurate sales tax return preparation and filing
  • Avalara does not have the functionality to asssess the Chicago Lease tax which is relevat to us
If your company has Nexus in several states and high volume of invoicing, Avalara will definately profice efficiency and save on headcount.
Read Sue Kissel, CPA's full review
Angela Snyder profile photo
October 02, 2018

Avalara Review: "Great Customer Support and Implementation Follow-Through and Follow-Up!"

Avalara has been a lifesaver for us in the midst of an acquisition. It integrates beautifully with Sage Intacct and allows our parent company to access the data they need, remotely, to file Sales/Use returns with no headaches.
  • Integration with top Accounting Software Systems made the choice to go with Avalara super simple.
  • Customer Service and Support are excellent, specifically throughout the setup and integration process.
  • I love that I can set my Accounting Staff up with logins and they can perform their own tax calculations, however, the UI on the website doesn't offer much direction. We need a better roadmap when we're just figuring things out.
Having a parent company who takes over the tax filings, from another state, has been a dream with the online functionality of Avalara. Works great with our cloud-based software.
Read Angela Snyder's full review
Li Reeve profile photo
May 23, 2018

Avalara Review: "Managing your certificates!"

It is used by our Accounting department. Only 3 users currently use it frequently for customers' resale certificates purpose. However, the information in CertCapture is being used in our ERP system as well, so that our Sales team has the relevant information regarding whether or not the customers are taxable. We also use AvaTax, which takes information from CertCapture as well.
  • Robust search function, regardless if it's a customer based search or certificate search.
  • Uploading function - can feed the information from our ERP system into CertCapture.
  • Reporting seems to be easy.
  • Help center and webinars are helpful tools.
  • Uploading is a great tool. However, the template seems to be very rigid. We sometimes have to try multiple times to finally get it to work, even with your tech support.
  • Customer types are somewhat confusing. Especially after we started using AvaTax, we realized certain types are not really valid in AvaTax, i.e. Exporters.
In my opinion, better suited when most of your customers have resale certificates. Not really a good fit if you are a retailer yourself.
Read Li Reeve's full review
Randy Engelby profile photo
May 22, 2018

Avalara Review: "What a time saver!"

We use Avalara Returns for the filing and submission of all our sales tax returns. It saves us a lot of time having to calculate the tax for each reporting area (state) we have to file in. One payment to Avalara versus multiple payments each month. We also use AvaTax and Certcapture so the benefits kinda blend together. The process is much smoother from quote (and giving customer final price including sales tax) to the payment of the actual tax.
  • Tracks the taxable and non taxable sales by month by state (or reporting area in foreign areas).
  • Tracks the actual tax by reporting city (we have sales in multiple cities with different sales tax rates. The tax is quickly and accurately calculated for each area.
  • We never have to worry about being late or a payment not getting to a state in time. We submit by 10th of the month and the payment is automatically pulled from our account.
  • The speed at which transactions load. If I wait until the 7th-10th of the month, it seems that the speed at which transactions load for me to confirm is very very slow.
  • I'd like to have multiple sort functions when I go to confirm (approve) transactions. It is nice to sort by state. I'd like to be able to sort by state (or country), then by invoice type.
  • Auto reminder if I have not committed the transactions by the 9th, to remind me to complete the next day. Helpful if I am out of the office.
To me, it eliminates hiring an additional person to manage sales tax.
Read Randy Engelby's full review
Brandi Francisko profile photo

"Avalara Returns Review"

Avalara Returns services are being used to file most of our sales and use tax filings. Our corporate offices use this to file for our entire company. The returns service allows us to focus on other areas of our business while having the filings outsourced for better use of our internal resources.
  • Avalara Returns offers timely returns filed for our company.
  • Avalara Returns is an automated process with many issues with filings that humans processing the work would be able to find easily.
  • Filing discrepancies often take place which causes our company downtime of our resources where we have already paid for the services for this to be outsourced.
  • Avlara has room for consistency to be applied and their processes to be made more transparent. When errors occur it's often like pulling teeth or grabbing for straws to see the "why" of what happened, and even more so to avoid it happening again in the future.
Avalara Returns are useful for companies that do not have the time or resources to dedicate to their sales tax filings. They allow an automated system to be established so that timely filings occur and are systematic. Avalara is less appropriate for businesses that do have the resources and are willing to invest in the area of research and accurate filings.
Read Brandi Francisko's full review

About Avalara

Avalara aims to help businesses get tax compliance right. Avalara customers face demanding tax obligations imposed by state, local, and other tax authorities around the world, and use Avalara for efficient and more accurate solutions to manage those requirements.

The Avalara Tax Compliance Suite — Avalara AvaTax, Avalara Returns, and Avalara CertCapture — offers solutions for various transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and others. The suite enables you to calculate taxes, file and remit returns, and comply with document management requirements. Hundreds of certified integrations are also available for accounting systems, ERP and CRM providers, and ecommerce platforms. The company also offers Professional Services including Tax Advisory Services, Implementation Services, Managed Services, and Support Plans and Training to help customers prepare for and achieve compliance.