- Avalara is in the business of sales tax and therefore stays ahead of the changes as they occur.
- Avalara software integrates directly with QuickBooks Online so sales tax is correctly calculated on every invoice created.
- Avalara takes care of the state filings so that I don't have to worry about them.
- Although Avalara integrates directly with QuickBooks Online, it bypasses the QB sales tax system and creates the sales tax as a line item on the invoice instead of a calculation after the subtotal. This was confusing to some of our customers.
- For the WA combined excise tax return, I have to email my WA B&O tax calculations to be included in the return by the 10th of the month even though the report is not due until the end of the month. There is currently no place on the Avatax console to add these figures.
- Calculating sales tax in 20+ states
- Preparing returns in 20+ states with different filing periods
- Keeping us up to date with new tax laws and states we need to register in
- I have only had one issue with a customer service rep that was out of the country, so I would say providing help from the country you reside in
- Updated rates - compared to our old (manual) process, we're saving tons of time when we don't have to look up or update rates for new customers or new sites.
- Direct customer support - our account manager is very accessible and if she doesn't answer a call, Kristin gets back to me same day. She turned a quote for a new project very quickly as well. Very pleased with her.
- I've only sat through 3 trainings, or webinar sessions, but they were well done.
- Very annoyed by the $500 annual sur-charge that we were threatened with for not having our account set up for auto-pay. Literally the only vendor we do business with that has tried anything like this. My Visa is currently on saved on file so we weren't upcharged, but paid this years renewal a few days early via ACH transfer.
- We requested a custom rule to handle MO sales / use tax, that is unusual. It took months to get it finished, and we haven't gone live with it yet. This is partly on me though, and the fact that I'm not even 100% sure that my supervisor had gotten proper advice from MO dept of revenue on the issue.
- The software is expensive. Must be nice to have that big of a market share. We spend the extra money though because we do feel (and have been advised) that Avalara is the best, and this is important enough to go with the best.
- Seamless SAP interface
- Great UI for master data maintenance
- Excellent implementation support
- Provides access to the right resources if problems occur
- Tax returns are not very flexible
- Special rules for Canadian taxes posed a problem
- More local technical presence preferred
- Calculation of sales tax.
- Reports by state and period to remit sales tax.
- East of setup for various types of sales types and codes.
- I think it would be great it Avalara offered advisory services, i.e., where should we be collecting sales tax, and what types of services are taxable/ non-taxable in each state.
- Customer Service. Avalara is very quick to respond to any questions related to its product.
- New Customer Orientation: I had a very pleasant experience implementing Avalara into our CRM system!
- Accuracy: We currently do not utilize the sales tax reporting function, however, when we file our State and Local tax returns, the Avalara calculations are 100% correct.
- As a fairly new customer, I have not experienced any areas of improvement, yet :-)
- Calculates the Tax
- File Tax Returns
- Stores Re-seller certs
- For Re-seller, we have to load cert for each state, which is time consuming and also number of certs goes beyond limit and Avalara charges extra
- When there are shipments on a order for multiple states at the line level, transactions don't get registered in Avalara or get registered with TRX, which doesn't get matched back in ERP system
- I believe Avalara is a very solid platform for tax calculation, it works well.
- As well as storing customer certs in a platform (no manual work).
- Allows flexibility to setup different scenarios depending on the data we receive from our fuel inventory system.
- I love that Avalara listens to their customers and enhances the software to make our return filing more seamless.
- Their conferences allow their customer to get together and meet other software users and share their tips with each other
- if you are adding additional information to a location, it would be nice to append the additional information, for instance, if the state now requires a county code, but the address information hasn't changed.
- Reconciliation reports that can be added to the return to show a summarized version of the data on the return.
- An additional function to add a check request of cash voucher with payment information and GL account information for approval and posting.
- If we give Avalara a pinpoint latitude and longitude coordinate, I am confident in the resulting jurisdiction and tax rates.
- Avalara provides great training opportunities.
- The records maintained by Avalara are easily accessible.
- While Avalara has a robust set of sales tax codes/catagories, they have not yet focused on codes related to our industry.
- Avalara does not have their own team responsible for connecting their product to our ERP or accounting system.
- It provides answers to commonly asked Sales Tax questions. Avalara's website is very user-friendly and you can get most of all your answers to any of your questions right then and there.
- Monthly Sales Tax filings- The reports to reconcile with are very detailed and make sales tax life so much easier.
- Integrates well with other accounting systems. It will make your day to day billing process so much faster. The system validates addresses by location to get you the correct tax amount every time as you are billing.
- I'm guessing the only con would be that sometimes we do get issues where we get like a timeout, and the system takes too long to ping back into our system and the document doesn't get uploaded onto the admin console and we have to manually enter into that month the invoice was done. But the admin console is very user-friendly so it doesn't take much to upload it. I'm not too sure you can do anything about speeding up the internet!
- I'm thinking what would be nice if you had an automation of mailing out the invoices as well.
- The automatic calculation of taxes based on location is great. It reduces any anxiety that we are miscalculating taxes.
- One area where we had an issue was when we had a customer which had locations in different states. We needed to calculate taxes for one of their locations, but it automatically calculated off of the main location's tax rates. This was really an issue on our end, but some additional support for understanding how to make sure everything in our accounting system was set up to calculate correctly with AvaTax would have been helpful.
- Native integration with NetSuite, means we do not have to management the integration of data between the systems i.e. low maintenance.
- Automation - We do not need to worry about sales tax calculations for the different cities/states across the US, Avalara does the calculations automatically for us.
- Great support team. Responsive and have always solved any issues we have had.
- Only setup for US taxes right now. We would leverage the system even further if it was set up with international sales tax automation (VAT/GST)
- UI within Avatax could be improved slightly. Sometimes a little difficult to reconcile sales tax accruals and payments between NetSuite and Avalara.
- Nothing else that I can think of.
- Provides accurate rooftop sales tax rates.
- Collects transactional data for building returns.
- Timely submit returns to individual states.
- Needs to ensure there are not unnecessary prepayments submitted.
- Tech Support needs to verify support tickets have been properly resolved prior to closing a ticket.
- Calculate Sales Tax
- Record tax in a secure system (books of record)
- File timely sales tax reports
- While it works perfectly with WooCommerce sales, it doesn't handel returns, requiring me to manually correct my book of record (AvaTax).
- Setup can be very painful (but with the new improvements to the UI it has become much easier).
- It can get a little expensive.
- Setup/making changes in the system is clear and easy. Other programs can be confusing, especially when it comes to dealing with multiple states, but Avalara's UX is easy to follow. They also have video tutorials for most things you'd need to do (which are decent in terms of their helpfulness), and, of course, have support that can be contacted if needed.
- Not sure this is something that could be done differently from a practical perspective, but, I find the actual transaction interface for sales to be a bit busy. It's easier once you get used to it but can be intimidating at first.
- Integration with top Accounting Software Systems made the choice to go with Avalara super simple.
- Customer Service and Support are excellent, specifically throughout the setup and integration process.
- I love that I can set my Accounting Staff up with logins and they can perform their own tax calculations, however, the UI on the website doesn't offer much direction. We need a better roadmap when we're just figuring things out.
- Robust search function, regardless if it's a customer based search or certificate search.
- Uploading function - can feed the information from our ERP system into CertCapture.
- Reporting seems to be easy.
- Help center and webinars are helpful tools.
- Uploading is a great tool. However, the template seems to be very rigid. We sometimes have to try multiple times to finally get it to work, even with your tech support.
- Customer types are somewhat confusing. Especially after we started using AvaTax, we realized certain types are not really valid in AvaTax, i.e. Exporters.
- Tracks the taxable and non taxable sales by month by state (or reporting area in foreign areas).
- Tracks the actual tax by reporting city (we have sales in multiple cities with different sales tax rates. The tax is quickly and accurately calculated for each area.
- We never have to worry about being late or a payment not getting to a state in time. We submit by 10th of the month and the payment is automatically pulled from our account.
- The speed at which transactions load. If I wait until the 7th-10th of the month, it seems that the speed at which transactions load for me to confirm is very very slow.
- I'd like to have multiple sort functions when I go to confirm (approve) transactions. It is nice to sort by state. I'd like to be able to sort by state (or country), then by invoice type.
- Auto reminder if I have not committed the transactions by the 9th, to remind me to complete the next day. Helpful if I am out of the office.
- Avalara Returns offers timely returns filed for our company.
- Avalara Returns is an automated process with many issues with filings that humans processing the work would be able to find easily.
- Filing discrepancies often take place which causes our company downtime of our resources where we have already paid for the services for this to be outsourced.
- Avlara has room for consistency to be applied and their processes to be made more transparent. When errors occur it's often like pulling teeth or grabbing for straws to see the "why" of what happened, and even more so to avoid it happening again in the future.
Avalara Scorecard Summary
Avalara aims to help businesses get tax compliance right. Avalara customers face demanding tax obligations imposed by state, local, and other tax authorities around the world, and use Avalara for efficient and more accurate solutions to manage those requirements.
The Avalara Tax Compliance Suite — Avalara AvaTax, Avalara Returns, and Avalara CertCapture — offers solutions for various transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and others. The suite enables you to calculate taxes, file and remit returns, and comply with document management requirements. Hundreds of certified integrations are also available for accounting systems, ERP and CRM providers, and ecommerce platforms. The company also offers Professional Services including Tax Advisory Services, Implementation Services, Managed Services, and Support Plans and Training to help customers prepare for and achieve compliance.
Avalara Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Avalara Technical Details
|Mobile Application:||Mobile Web|