Overall Satisfaction with Microsoft SQL Server
Microsoft SQL server is the backbone of our organization and is used by the whole organization. Our application uses Microsoft SQL server as a backend. We do a lot with SQL server like storing the actual data, replicating the production database, SQL jobs to create a reports database, SQL server reporting services etc. We do have multiple servers for multiple different databases and we user the server objects/linked servers to access data across all the servers. I think it addresses almost all aspects of our business at this point.
- Data accessing via Excel or Access is very easy.
- Reporting services are a really good example to present and analyze the data to management.
- We do have an analytics team which does a lot of data modeling and also uses lots of integration services.
- Definitely room for improvement in SQL server reporting services.
- Missing the functionality to purge/archive/delete the reports from the server. We have to do it one at a time.
- It is a very good product which will for sure return you on your investment.
I think for any application it really works well. It has lots of features which could help with business requirements. It can easily import the data from different data sources and also can export the data in the required format. It is really good in OLTP transactions too. We will have to use it well to make it more efficient. For ex: if you don't have proper indexing, it might take time to retrieve the data you wanted or you might run into time out situations.